[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP for Galaxy Note 8 (Exynos) V3

Search This thread

S5Sickness

May 1, 2015
Garland, TX
You need OEM unlock enabled to flash any custom binaries so no, unfortunately you have to wait.

OK just tried this method and got the same results.. been rooting phones for many years.. many can mean 2 or more.. so with that said i flashed twrp and got into to twrp flashed the fix and rebooted and still got the red letter error.. i have a sm-n950f from panama don't wanna use roms just want to root for fonts.. so not sure what i'm doing wrong.. but i guess i will wait for twrp to fix... thanks for the help to all:good:

shouren04

Feb 17, 2013
OK just tried this method and got the same results.. been rooting phones for many years.. many can mean 2 or more.. so with that said i flashed twrp and got into to twrp flashed the fix and rebooted and still got the red letter error.. i have a sm-n950f from panama don't wanna use roms just want to root for fonts.. so not sure what i'm doing wrong.. but i guess i will wait for twrp to fix... thanks for the help to all:good:

TWRP fixed for Oreo has been released, no more data mount fix by dr.ketan needed.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76114476&postcount=111

Reactions: joluke

ShamielMiller

Oct 24, 2017
Johannesburg
What do you mean? If you have Exynos model everything is here for you to root.

I actually gave up on the idea of ever rooting this phone hence i never looked or followed any posts to guide me on how to root my note 8 Exynos model. If you could be so kind to post step by step a way to root this phone with no OEM available? SM-N950F model. Im not sure whether my country South Africa plays a factor when trying to root my phone. But If these information is what you need, its all here. thanking you in advance. Hopefully after 7 months you might be able to set me free.

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------

I actually gave up on the idea of ever rooting this phone hence i never looked or followed any posts to guide me on how to root my note 8 Exynos model. If you could be so kind to post step by step a way to root this phone with no OEM available? SM-N950F model. Im not sure whether my country South Africa plays a factor when trying to root my phone. But If these information is what you need, its all here. thanking you in advance. Hopefully after 7 months you might be able to set me free.

Oi I just read 3 posts prior to this post on this thread still nowhere with the "No OEM" issue. Think ima come back 5 months from now. Hopefully then it will look a bit more positive. Oi.:confused:
Sad story... shiff-sniff

miguelr4720

May 24, 2015
New York
Dual mod speakers and V4A is not enough

Some on needs to fix the problem with Dolby not working or I will never use Oreo never again this sucks Since Root started I always use Sound Mods on any Android Version this is the first time I ever see something like this problem happens on any Oreo Rom for Note 8 this sucks eventually some one. Could come up for a fix for this Having No Dolby Sucks Smh

shouren04

Feb 17, 2013

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------

Oi I just read 3 posts prior to this post on this thread still nowhere with the "No OEM" issue. Think ima come back 5 months from now. Hopefully then it will look a bit more positive. Oi.:confused:
Sad story... shiff-sniff

If your OEM unlock toggle has not appeared after this long, coming back here at a later time isn't going to matter. It's unrelated to TWRP, there's no "fix" in TWRP that will allow you to root if your OEM unlock toggle never appears. There's no method to root with the OEM unlock toggle, you need OEM unlock in order to flash TWRP & root.

OEM unlock has to do with your RMM state. Check out the OEM lock issue threads. I'm not sure exactly how to get it to appear as I don't have the issue on my phone. It may be something like reflashing your stock fw or another region fw to reset your counter so it appears after 7days. If it hasn't appeared in 7 months it probably will never show up by simply just waiting longer.

shouren04

Feb 17, 2013
Dual mod speakers and V4A is not enough

Some on needs to fix the problem with Dolby not working or I will never use Oreo never again this sucks Since Root started I always use Sound Mods on any Android Version this is the first time I ever see something like this problem happens on any Oreo Rom for Note 8 this sucks eventually some one. Could come up for a fix for this Having No Dolby Sucks Smh

No Dolby Available for the Oreo Roms On The Note 8

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

This sucks

Yeah well I can understand your sorrow but all this has nothing with TWRP, won't do any good posting about it in a TWRP thread. Try the discussions section, you may get better exposure over there. But in reality you just gotta wait. There are still many things that are not Oreo compatible yet. One of the reasons why I don't care for Oreo & keep going back to Nougat. Need to give devs time to figure it all out.

Reactions: miguelr4720

ShamielMiller

Oct 24, 2017
Johannesburg
If your OEM unlock toggle has not appeared after this long, coming back here at a later time isn't going to matter. It's unrelated to TWRP, there's no "fix" in TWRP that will allow you to root if your OEM unlock toggle never appears. There's no method to root with the OEM unlock toggle, you need OEM unlock in order to flash TWRP & root.

OEM unlock has to do with your RMM state. Check out the OEM lock issue threads. I'm not sure exactly how to get it to appear as I don't have the issue on my phone. It may be something like reflashing your stock fw or another region fw to reset your counter so it appears after 7days. If it hasn't appeared in 7 months it probably will never show up by simply just waiting longer.

Thanks for your swift reply. I gotta admit it appeared once only. And i set to unlock and I went all the way to fashing but it was unsuccessful. Thereafter I coudnt go back to flashing anything. Some later I tried again and for some reason the phone showed OEM is already unlocked but all the TWRP versions which was available at that time just would not take upto V3. It kept on saying incorrect file or something to that effect. Cant remember exactly. Quite frankly I really got tired the numerous times my phone reset. It was practically almost daily then and i felt I was not moving forward and I couldn't enjoy my expensive phone with all its features hence I stopped trying and made do with the mon-rooted apps available. Since the S9 is out Im getting an itch again.

shouren04

Feb 17, 2013
Thanks for your swift reply. I gotta admit it appeared once only. And i set to unlock and I went all the way to fashing but it was unsuccessful. Thereafter I coudnt go back to flashing anything. Some later I tried again and for some reason the phone showed OEM is already unlocked but all the TWRP versions which was available at that time just would not take upto V3. It kept on saying incorrect file or something to that effect. Cant remember exactly. Quite frankly I really got tired the numerous times my phone reset. It was practically almost daily then and i felt I was not moving forward and I couldn't enjoy my expensive phone with all its features hence I stopped trying and made do with the mon-rooted apps available. Since the S9 is out Im getting an itch again.

I'm sure you are familiar with this thread but take a look at this post... and well the entire thread really. In there is info on how to make you OEM unlock appear. Then if/when you do decide to install TWRP/root, be sure to flash the RMM fix so you don't loose OEM unlock.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76137962&postcount=3886

ShamielMiller

Oct 24, 2017
Johannesburg
I'm sure you are familiar with this thread but take a look at this post... and well the entire thread really. In there is info on how to make you OEM unlock appear. Then if/when you do decide to install TWRP/root, be sure to flash the RMM fix so you don't loose OEM unlock.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76137962&postcount=3886

Thank but yes thats about the only 2 accounts I always add with my initial set-up. And the OEM didn't appear after 7 days but a few weeks after my setup and also after a few failed attempts to root my phone. It appeared once and never again. And what is the RMM fix?

And trust me when I say when I eventually decided to hold off on this obsession to root my phone, i realised I when I decided to move all my downloads wrt this issue, i downloaded a total almost close to a 100gig of software. That was the kind of obsession I had. Im over it and accept it will maybe happen after the next few new models hit the market.

Last edited:

S5Sickness

May 1, 2015
Garland, TX
ok so just tried to flash the new twrp and it says while im in odin mode i get the red letters down to bottom of all the words on the left side of my phone... man i should have bought a dam tmobile phone screw this dam out of usa bullchit

shouren04

Feb 17, 2013
ok so just tried to flash the new twrp and it says while im in odin mode i get the red letters down to bottom of all the words on the left side of my phone... man i should have bought a dam tmobile phone screw this dam out of usa bullchit

What do the red letters say?

First time I've ever heard that! I specifically avoided buying a T-Mobile variant to get the international Exynos. But I guess it is true that if you bought a US phone you wouldn't have these issues cause you wouldn't even be able to install TWRP. :laugh: So long as Samsung Exynos variants have unlocked bootloaders, I will never buy a US Snapdragon!

S5Sickness

May 1, 2015
Garland, TX
What do the red letters say?

First time I've ever heard that! I specifically avoided buying a T-Mobile variant to get the international Exynos. But I guess it is true that if you bought a US phone you wouldn't have these issues cause you wouldn't even be able to install TWRP. :laugh: So long as Samsung Exynos variants have unlocked bootloaders, I will never buy a US Snapdragon!

it says only official binarys can be flashed

shouren04

Feb 17, 2013
it says only official binarys can be flashed

That's due to RMM state, which means you lost OEM unlock again, which means unfortunately you'll have to wait 7 days again.

In the other TWRP thread, you asked about the button trick. Yes, need to do that & you need to flash RMM fix also.

When OEM unlock comes back, flash the new TWRP in Odin with the button trick. This is required so it reboots directly to TWRP (if you boot to system you'll get screwed again). While in TWRP format data (type yes), then go to reboot menu & reboot back to recovery/TWRP. Now you can flash custom ROM, root, & RMM fix. If keeping stock rom, flash root, then flash RMM fix. Then you can finally reboot to system.

Since you have the OEM lock issue, you ALWAYS need to flash RMM fix to prevent the official binaries error. Remember, anytime you flash a rom in TWRP, always flash RMM fix right after the rom before booting to system. Most custom roms include the RMM fix now but just play it safe and flash RMM fix anyway. That is the key to avoid the official binaries error.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

what is the RMM fix?

RMM is Samsung Remote Mobile Manager feature. It's said to be an anti-theft measure & is the cause for the OEM lock/7 day issue. Blackmesa created a flashable zip to remove the feature, aka RMM state fix.

I no sense in repeating so look at my post above. If you follow that method, you should finally be able to root your phone successfully. All that info is in the thread I linked earlier but I know the thread is very long now & tough to search.

And if you meant waiting to get a new phone to root. Well if going with Samsung again, unfortunately this RMM state thing is not going away. The new phone will have the feature also but not all will be affected. Certain variants like the N from Korea are not affected as well as F variants from certain regions that have region lock will not be affected after the region lock is lifted. For example my F is a region locked model from the UK. Seller lifted the region lock while using the phone with a UK sim while still in the UK. My phone does not have the OEM lock issue.

Pooya500

Dec 12, 2015
Tehran
how should i root my phone?
i installed twrp and magisk but i got Verification Error !
and i flashed my phone to stock android and installed twrp again + dm-verity patch file + magisk and got same
please help
note 8 - n950f - oreo 8.0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.1.1

https%3A%2F%2Ftwrp.me%2Fimages%2Fhome.png
    https%3A%2F%2Ftwrp.me%2Fimages%2Fbackupname.png

Exynos ONLY.
    In NO way it is compatible with Snapdragon variants including but not limited to American(U/A/T/P/V), Chinese(0/8/6), Hong Kong(0), Japanese(SC-*), Canadian(W) variants.

Special Notes:
    1. DON'T FORGET TO ENABLE "OEM UNLOCK" (located in Developers options).
    2. KNOX will be tripped once you flashed custom binaries to your phone.
    (Your warranty may be voided. However this may not affect you if your country forces Samsung to provide hardware warranty regardless of software status.)
    3. Samsung Firmware OTA (aka System Updates) will no longer work once you flashed custom binaries.
    (You can flash custom ROMs if you want to keep the OS up-to-date.)

Download: greatlte (Exynos variants - N950F/FD/X/N)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7EuVd0yZ8ErSE5EQW12TVEtcVk/view?usp=sharing

Sources:
    https://github.com/TeamWin
    https://github.com/geiti94/android_device_samsung_greatlte
    https://github.com/geiti94/android_kernel_samsung_universal8895_greatlte

Changelog:
    Check #2.

Guide:
    Check #3.

Bugs:
    -A mouse pointer shows on display

XDA:DevDB Information
    [RECOVERY]TWRP for Galaxy Note 8 (Exynos), Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Contributors
    geiti94, @jesec for the S8+ TWRP tree i used as base :)
    Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2017-09-16
    Last Updated 2017-09-21
    New TWRP

Hey guys

Many of you (including myself) wondered, why there wasn't an official TWRP update available till now. So I decided to build one myself, with the latest source updates included from TWRP directly :)

Changelog TWRP 3.1.1-0 -> 3.2.1-1
    • Allow restoring adb backups in the TWRP GUI (bigbiff)
    • Fix gzip backup error in adb backups (bigbiff)
    • Fix a bug in TWRP's backup routines that occasionally corrupted backup files (nkk71)
    • Better support for installing Android 8.0 based zips due to legacy props (nkk71)
    • Support vold decrypt with keymaster 3.0 in 8.0 firmwares (nkk71)
    • Decrypt of synthetic passwords for Pixel 2 (Dees_Troy)
    • Support newer ext4 FBE policies for backup and restore in libtar (Dees_Troy)
    • v2 fstab support (Dees_Troy)
    • Bring TWRP forward to android 8.0 AOSP base (Dees_Troy)
    • Various other minor bugfixes and tweaks
    • minui fixes (cryptomilk)
    • Better android-8.0 compatibility in ROM trees (Dees_Troy)
    • Fix missing library in android-8.0 (nkk71)
    • Fix inconsistent SDCard naming (DevUt)
    • Default to TWRP restore instead of adb backup restore to fix restore on fresh TWRP boot (jlask)
    • Fix USB OTG not working (Tkkg1994)

Download:
    Odin Flashable
    TWRP Flashable

If you enjoy I'd appreciate to see a thanks/thumbs up :good:
    Guides:
    Notice: It may wipe all your data including those in internal storage.

Part 1 - HOW-TO FLASH TWRP:
    1. In your ROM, go to Settings -> About device. Tap 7 times on Build number to enable Developer options.
    2. Go to Settings -> Developer options and enable OEM Unlock option.
    3. Download and Install Samsung Mobile Phones Drivers.
    - Option 1: Download and Install Smart Switch for PC.
    - Option 2: Download and Install standalone driver package.
    4. Download and extract Odin (Samsung's Flash Tool) to your computer.
    5. Download a .tar image of TWRP.
    6. Reboot your device to download mode.
    - Hold [VOLUME DOWN] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] for approx. 15 seconds.
    - Read the warning carefully.
    - If you agree, press [VOLUME UP] to get into Download mode. If you don't agree, STOP.
    7. Open Odin and place that TWRP tar file in the [AP] slot.
    8. Connect your phone.
    9. Hold [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] on your phone and then press start on Odin.
    10. Wait for the phone to reboot. DO NOT release [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] or you may not reboot into TWRP.

Part 2 - HOW-TO INITIALIZE TWRP: (for new phones)
    1. If you completed Part 1 successfully, you should be in TWRP now. At this point, you will reach the screen asking you if you want to allow system modifications.
    2. Select "Keep /system RO". (Don't swipe right or you may not be able to boot into system if you failed to complete next steps. However, you can swipe right to allow modifications if you are confident that you can complete next steps.)
    3. Go to "Wipe" menu of TWRP and you will find "Format Data". Press "Format Data" and type "yes" to continue.
    4. Go to "Reboot" menu and Press "Recovery" to reboot TWRP.
    5. Download the latest dm-verity and force encryption disabler zip on your computer.
    6. Transfer the zip to your phone.
    - Option 1: MTP: Connect your phone with computer and just copy the zip to internal storage. (similar to how you transfer files when in system.) (for the moment not working)
    - Option 2: ADB: Connect your phone with computer and run command "adb push /path/to/zip /sdcard/". (for the moment not working)
    - Option 3: External SD: Copy the zip to an external SD and then insert the card to your phone.
    7. Go to "Install" menu of TWRP and flash the zip.

TWRP is initialized and fully functional at this stage. Now you can either reboot into system or root, flash custom ROMs via TWRP.

Part 3 - HOW-TO ROOT:
    1. Download the flashable zip.
    - Option 1: Magisk
    - Option 2: SuperSU (untested)
    2. Transfer the zip to your phone.
    3. Go to "Install" menu of TWRP and flash the zip.

Part 3a - HOW-TO FLASH CUSTOM ROMS:
    1. Download the flashable zip.
    2. Transfer the zip to your phone.
    3. Go to "Install" menu of TWRP and flash the zip.
    Simple.
    Oreo TWRP

Dear friends and readers of this thread

I started to work on oreo recently and read about your comments that the current twrp isn't compatible with oreo.

I got bored at university so I'm releasing the twrp now. I can't test it since I don't have my n8 with me, please let me know if everything works as expected :good:

Hence I decided (again) to build my own twrp version with the latest kernel sources (oreo) and the latest TWRP sources. So we got everything up to date! :fingers-crossed:

The update to oreo is the only change, I haven't changed anything else apart from this.

Download:
    TWRP flashable img file
    Odin flashable tar file
    Changelog:
    Sep.21
    Removed Mouse cursor. thx alot to @Tkkg1994 that joined now us too on n8 :D
    Added F2FS Support

Sep.17
    Fixed MTP
    Fixed ADB

Sep. 16:
    Initial Release