[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP for Galaxy S20 FE 5G (Snapdragon)

Search This thread

relax24

Mar 18, 2010
With the S10 it was like this:
"Open Odin v3.14.1 and place the downloaded TWRP .tar file in AP tab, downloaded vbmeta .tar file in CP tab and click Start - once you press start grab the phone and press vol up + bixby + power to force it boot straight in TWRP after flashing"
Right but are we saying vbmeta is or is not required just to root. The magisk instructions don't mention anything about vbmeta

Full House

Aug 25, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Right but are we saying vbmeta is or is not required just to root. The magisk instructions don't mention anything about vbmeta
Apparently there is no need for vbmeta the requirements for this method is that only the bootloader is unlocked ... on the other hand if you want to persist in rooting via twrp you will have to systematically flash vbmeta + multidisabler + erase data ... it seems to me that the twrp of this thread is no longer compatible with the latest OneUi versions

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
Apparently there is no need for vbmeta the requirements for this method is that only the bootloader is unlocked ... on the other hand if you want to persist in rooting via twrp you will have to systematically flash vbmeta + multidisabler + erase data ... it seems to me that the twrp of this thread is no longer compatible with the latest OneUi versions
the guide on github says that only the first install of magisk needs a wipe (via Odin). I don't get this idea that you can use TWRP after to flash magisk, colour me confused!

• To upgrade your device with a new firmware, NEVER directly use the stock AP tar file with reasons mentioned above. Always pre-patch AP in the Magisk app before flashing in Odin.
  • Use HOME_CSC to preserve your data when doing a firmware upgrade in the future. Using CSC is only necessary for the initial Magisk installation.
  • Never just flash only AP, or else Odin can shrink your /data filesystem. Flash full AP + BL + CP + HOME_CSC when upgrading.

Full House

Aug 25, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
the guide on github says that only the first install of magisk needs a wipe (via Odin). I don't get this idea that you can use TWRP after to flash magisk, colour me confused!

• To upgrade your device with a new firmware, NEVER directly use the stock AP tar file with reasons mentioned above. Always pre-patch AP in the Magisk app before flashing in Odin.
  • Use HOME_CSC to preserve your data when doing a firmware upgrade in the future. Using CSC is only necessary for the initial Magisk installation.
  • Never just flash only AP, or else Odin can shrink your /data filesystem. Flash full AP + BL + CP + HOME_CSC when upgrading.
Exact but with the Magisk.zip method via twrp you always have to reset the data to update ...

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
Flash Magisk via twrp like we did on older devices.

We can install twrp when it is corrected to hopefully install custom rom in the future.

Basically it is now recommended for Samsung ROM to patch the firmware AP file to root this is all you need to understand
I understand that part, I thought v21.4 was done for phones that came out with android 10+
looks like there's no reason to use TWRP after the first root if you still have to use Odin AND wipe data.
hopefully any custom roms will now be made with pre-patched ramdisks and you just install v22 magisk.

kevinireland11

Apr 10, 2014
I've tried to flash the UK firmware on my fe 5g and it keeps saying failed, I mean iv done these steps plenty of times on my other samsungs with no issues, can someone post a link to a guide on here to flash a different firmware, maybe I'm using the wrong odin or frija tool but I dont think so

afaneh92

• Jul 31, 2012
    I've tried to flash the UK firmware on my fe 5g and it keeps saying failed, I mean iv done these steps plenty of times on my other samsungs with no issues, can someone post a link to a guide on here to flash a different firmware, maybe I'm using the wrong odin or frija tool but I dont think so
    You cant flash different firmware, only same model G781B only for example.

• Whats the exact model number of your S20FE?
    • What version of android is on the device (including the baseband version, setting>about phone>software info>)
    • What version of the BTU firmware are you trying to flash? Android 10 or 11..?

Reactions: kevinireland11

kevinireland11

Apr 10, 2014
    • Whats the exact model number of your S20FE?
    • What version of android is on the device (including the baseband version, setting>about phone>software info>)
    • What version of the BTU firmware are you trying to flash? Android 10 or 11..?
    Hey thanks for replying to me :)
    it's Sm-G781B

I'll attach a screen shot and you could maybe look over this for me, I type my model number and BTU in that tool "frija" it came up firmware CUD1 I tried to flash that and ot said failed,

I mean iv done these with a number of samsung phones and I'm just wondering am I using the wrong odin or even frija tool, I'm unsure.

Appreciate it.
    Screenshot_20210420-173721_Settings.jpg

afaneh92

• Jul 31, 2012
    Hey thanks for replying to me :)
    it's Sm-G781B

I'll attach a screen shot and you could maybe look over this for me, I type my model number and BTU in that tool "frija" it came up firmware CUD1 I tried to flash that and ot said failed,

I mean iv done these with a number of samsung phones and I'm just wondering am I using the wrong odin or even frija tool, I'm unsure.

Appreciate it.View attachment 5285203
    Actually this wont change your CSC to BTU. You need to do it manually.

Hey thanks for replying to me, it's Sm-G781B

View attachment 5285203
    Ok so G781B is the Uk snapdragon version. The Android is v11 and firmware I can see is S781BXXU2CUB5, and checking Samobile (https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-s20-fe/firmware/SM-G781B/BTU/#SM-G781B) your already on the latest firmware.

So like afaneh92 has said, you just need to change your CSC. Search the forum for the howto and be aware changing your CSC will force as factory reset.

kevinireland11

Apr 10, 2014
    Ok so G781B is the Uk snapdragon version. The Android is v11 and firmware I can see is S781BXXU2CUB5, and checking Samobile (https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-s20-fe/firmware/SM-G781B/BTU/#SM-G781B) your already on the latest firmware.

So like afaneh92 has said, you just need to change your CSC. Search the forum for the howto and be aware changing your CSC will force as factory reset.
    I tried changing the csc by installing the Google dialer and typing in the code but it doesn't work for me, I don't it on my s20 plus a while back and it worked but has stopped working for some reason, is there another way to change csc or just buy the Samkeys?

shouk_1987

Jul 2, 2012
    Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
    I tried changing the csc by installing the Google dialer and typing in the code but it doesn't work for me, I don't it on my s20 plus a while back and it worked but has stopped working for some reason, is there another way to change csc or just buy the Samkeys?

This method stopped since Android 11 February security patch.
    Also csc cannot be changed now via Odin in android 11
    You need either Samkey or another paid tool ( forgot its name )
    I wanted to change csc for call recording as well but managed to bybass via using firefds for android r (u must be rooted and have xposed )

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      @afaneh92 just checking in to ask what if any sources to you want / need to help you ?
      I'm on the Samsung open source site now and downloading a zip for G781BXXU2CUD1 but I've no idea if it's kernel sources inside (280mbs ish). another page I saw here mentioned using the inquiry tab to submit a request.

if you can tell me exactly what you want I'll more than happily put in a request for it, I'm sure others would too.

I'll edit this later and add the zip files full name that I've downloaded and if you want that I'll put it mediafire or similar.

SM-G781B_SEA_RR_Opensource.zip is the archive name, taken from clicking on G781BXXU2CUD1 which matches my current baseband and buildnumberView attachment 5299763
      I will start working on the new kernel source soon.
      @QRCode please consider making a thread about the exact method it required, resources needed and your experience with it.
      this sort of thing will be useful to others. particularly of interest is the features that don't work currently.
      I'll do my best still testing everything compiling my data etc
      Guys! This is not root or magisk thread.
      The instructions for TWRP in OP, Don't mix with magisk instructions. And dont tell me that disabling vbmeta not required when you already disabled it by patching AP.
      Always use latest
      After hours of research and hard effort I have hentaiOS running smooth as butter it's freaking fast Better than the bloated one ui I'll continue testing changed the phone completely and I have my 120hz enabled as well so it's like slicing butter
      Screenshot_20210427-193254.png
      @QRCode please consider making a thread about the exact method it required, resources needed and your experience with it.
      this sort of thing will be useful to others. particularly of interest is the features that don't work currently.
      home.png
      backupname.png

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
       * Your warranty is now void.
      * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
      * thermonuclear war, or your getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
      * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
      * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
      * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Supported Models:
      Galaxy S20 FE 5G G7810, G781B, G781N, G781U, G781U1 and G981W.

US/Canada bootloader unlock thread:
      here

Download & Guide:
      1. Unlock your bootloader.
      2. Disable AVB, S20 guide for reference here
      3. Download S20 FE 5G: r8q.
      4. Reboot to download mode
      5. Put the TWRP TAR for your device with Odin in the AP slot and click start.
      6. Reboot to recovery via recovery key combo.
      7. Disable encryption:
      Or:
      - Go to Advanced > Terminal, type: multidisabler.​
      If vendor complain about free space left on device, will attempt to resize vendor. and it ask to - Run multidisabler again!.​
      - Type: multidisabler again. will see - Finished. when done.​
      8. Go back to Wipe > Format Data > type yes.
      9. Reboot to recovery.
      10. Flash magisk apk in twrp.
      11. Reboot to system, Enjoy.

Note:
      To disable encryption manually:
      You need to replace fileencryption=ice with encryptable=ice only in userdata line (maybe rest lines) in vendor/etc/fstab.qcom
      To avoid stock recovery restoration manually:
      Rename system/recovery-from-boot.p to recovery-from-boot.p.bak

Support:
      Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.

Telegram group
      Telegram account

Bugs:
      - Encryption not fully working.
      - Haptic feedback is currently not working.

TWRP team
      @jesec for unlock guide
      @ianmacd for multidisabler
      @ooobs007 for testing on S20 FE 5G G781B

Sources:
      Kernel tree
      Device tree
      @afaneh92 just checking in to ask what if any sources to you want / need to help you ?
      I'm on the Samsung open source site now and downloading a zip for G781BXXU2CUD1 but I've no idea if it's kernel sources inside (280mbs ish). another page I saw here mentioned using the inquiry tab to submit a request.

if you can tell me exactly what you want I'll more than happily put in a request for it, I'm sure others would too.

I'll edit this later and add the zip files full name that I've downloaded and if you want that I'll put it mediafire or similar.

SM-G781B_SEA_RR_Opensource.zip is the archive name, taken from clicking on G781BXXU2CUD1 which matches my current baseband and buildnumberView attachment 5299763
      I will start working on the new kernel source soon.
      I'll do my best still testing everything compiling my data etc
      Always use latest
      After hours of research and hard effort I have hentaiOS running smooth as butter it's freaking fast Better than the bloated one ui I'll continue testing changed the phone completely and I have my 120hz enabled as well so it's like slicing butter
      Screenshot_20210427-193254.png
      Guys! This is not root or magisk thread.
      The instructions for TWRP in OP, Don't mix with magisk instructions. And dont tell me that disabling vbmeta not required when you already disabled it by patching AP.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone