[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP for Galaxy S20 FE 5G (Snapdragon)

Search This thread

afaneh92

Account currently disabled
Jul 31, 2012
Hello again. I am able to get it working, but after flashing a ROM (Clean OS), I encounter the error Failed to mount '/system_root' (Invalid argument). I tried rebooting to recovery, but the error persists that I cannot mount /system.
Make sure you are flashing correct twrp r8q and follow all instructions.

Make sure you are flashing correct twrp r8q and follow all instructions.
Thank you for your quick reply. Am I supposed to flash Magisk after multidisabler even if I would be installing another ROM?

After typing multidisabler in the terminal, I rebooted to recovery and flashed the ROM, and consequently encountered the issue.

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
Alright. Am I supposed to flash Magisk even if I would be installing another ROM?

After typing multidisabler in the terminal, I rebooted to recovery and flashed the ROM, and consequently encountered the issue.
What rom! If gsi then flash to system not super
Magisk is not necessary.
Its not my problem that you cant flash roms properly and next time add this details. Even if its not supposed to explain how to flash since its twrp thread not rom thread.

What rom! If gsi then flash to system not super
Magisk is not necessary.
Its not my problem that you cant flash roms properly and next time add this details. Even if its not supposed to explain how to flash since its twrp thread not rom thread.
I understand. Thank you very much for your assistance, and apologies for going off-topic.

EDIT: I have narrowed down the issue to the ROM itself. I was able to install Magisk and use the recovery successfully.

Last edited:

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
I understand. Thank you very much for your assistance, and apologies for going off-topic.

EDIT: I have narrowed down the issue to the ROM itself. I was able to install Magisk and use the recovery successfully.

• Love
Reactions: Revontheus

saoudien07

Apr 27, 2016
Hello,
I know that it is forbidden to ask about Supported Models, by the TWRP/ Root present in this thread, because it is already stipulated on the main page of the thread.
Is there a way to know, from the system, if any of the said model are Bootloader Locked or not??? why?
I finally have the possibility to get a S20 FE 5G, model SM-G781N, and I would like to know before to buy it, if I will be able to Root it.
I am going to get it from a local store, so I want to know from the system if it is Bootloader locked "forever" like the US version or not.
Previously, I bought this phone, and sadly it was a US version, so Bootloader locked "forever".
This time, I would like, while still present in the store, be sure 100%, that it will be Rootable (sure TWRP first), once I get home with it.
I am planning to turn ON the phone a little bit while in the store, and do a little inspection in the system.
Sellers will not allow me to try Root the phone in the store, nor turn it into Download mode, so it would be great, if I may know for sure from the system, about its Bootloader.
Thx you very much.

Last edited:
Reactions: pierro78

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
Hello,
I know that it is forbidden to ask about Supported Models, by the TWRP/ Root present in this thread, because it is already stipulated on the main page of the thread.
I would like to know, if there is a way to know, from the system, if any of the said model are Bootloader Locked or not??? why?
I finally have the possibility to get a S20 FE 5G, model SM-G781N, and I would like to know before to buy it, if I will be able to Root it.
I am going to get it from a local store, so I want to know from the system if it is Bootloader locked "forever" like the US version or not.
Previously, I bought this phone, and sadly it was a US version, so Bootloader locked "forever".
This time, I would like, while still present in the store, be sure 100%, that it will be Rootable (sure TWRP first), once I get home with it.
I am planning to turn ON the phone a little bit while in the store, and do a little inspection in the system.
Sellers will not allow me to try Root the phone in the store, nor turn it into Download mode, so it would be great, if I may know for sure from the system, about its Bootloader.
Thx you very much.
N model has oem unlock toggle

saoudien07

Apr 27, 2016
I installed Magisk.zip through TWRP, but the app never appear on.
Then decided to innstall the apk, and still no Root.
Any idea??

Last edited:

kay9jay

Jul 2, 2010
I unlocked the bootloader in developer settings and download and also flashed vbmeta_disabled.tar in odin. I CAN flash TWRP, but I need to mash the buttons quickly as stock rom reflashes recovery (I have heard though that TWRP should reflash itself permanently after 1st boot?).

My problems seems to be that TWRP does not see the microsd at all.
I tried mounting it and i tried another microsd (they are both exfat formatted).
The situtation makes it impossible to backup or flash a custom rom. Any help?

I have SM-780G Snap 4G.

Last edited:

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
I unlocked the bootloader in developer settings and download and also flashed vbmeta_disabled.tar in odin. I CAN flash TWRP, but I need to mash the buttons quickly as stock rom reflashes recovery (I have heard though that TWRP should reflash itself permanently after 1st boot?).

I tried mounting it and i tried another microsd (they are both exfat formatted).

I have SM-780G Snap 4G.
Its known issue, use internal or usb otg

jhr5474

Sep 20, 2010
Holley, Oregon
I am using the snapdtagon s20 fe edition and i have tried following your directions but when i try to flash the vbmeta in odin it fails everytime, any ideas?

saoudien07

Apr 27, 2016
Use latest 24 on Android 12
Thx you, I was used to Magisk 23. My bad
Discovering Magisk 24, and Android 12 hasle
I am using the snapdtagon s20 fe edition and i have tried following your directions but when i try to flash the vbmeta in odin it fails everytime, any ideas?
you wont get any help with such poor details...
for start, is the Bootloader unlocked ? With a Locked Bootloader, you wont be able to do anything...
Did you enable OEM in "Developer Options" ? is "USB Debugging" enabled?
maybe provide a pic of Download Mode, before the error occurs.

Last edited:
Reactions: tombbb

jhr5474

Sep 20, 2010
Holley, Oregon

for start, is the Bootloader unlocked ? With a Locked Bootloader, you wont be able to do anything...

And as I said I followed the directions, so why would my bootloader be locked? Anyways, problem solved. Enjoy, being unhelpful to people.

arlequin2k3

Dec 22, 2018

I have SM-780G Snap 4G.
With the S20FE we can no longer juggle with twrp as we did with the previous phones . So I opted for Swift Backup and it works great to backup all your android on an sd card.

saoudien07

Apr 27, 2016
Hi, I am struggling to enter into TWRP recovery, right after its flash.
Thx for any additional tips on how to enter into TWRP.

Edit: Resolved

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    home.png
    backupname.png

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
     * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or your getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Supported Models:
    Galaxy S20 FE 5G G7810, G781B, G781N, G781U, G781U1, G981W and G780G (4G).

US/Canada bootloader unlock thread:
    here

Download & Guide:
    1. Unlock your bootloader.
    2. Download S20 FE 5G: r8q.
    3. Reboot to download mode and flash vbmeta_disabled.tar in AP slot and reboot. Device will reboot to stock recovery mode prompting you to wipe data so wipe data and reboot to download mode again.
    4. Put the TWRP tar for your device with Odin in the AP slot and click start.
    5. Reboot to recovery via recovery key combo.
    6. Disable encryption:
    - Go to Advanced > Terminal, type: multidisabler.​
    If vendor complain about free space left on device, will attempt to resize vendor. and it ask to - Run multidisabler again!.​
    - Type: multidisabler again. will see - Finished. when done.​
    7. Go back to Wipe > Format Data > type yes.
    8. Reboot to recovery.
    9. Flash magisk apk in twrp.
    10. Reboot to system, Enjoy.

Note:
    To disable encryption manually:
    You need to replace fileencryption=ice with encryptable=ice only in userdata line (maybe rest lines) in vendor/etc/fstab.qcom
    To avoid stock recovery restoration manually:
    Rename system/recovery-from-boot.p to recovery-from-boot.p.bak

Bugs:
    - Encryption not fully working.

TWRP team
    @ooobs007 for testing on S20 FE 5G G781B
    ianmacd for multidisabler

Sources:
    Kernel tree
    Device tree
    Changelog:
    02.06.2022 - Update to Android 12 kernel source
    - Fix mount issues
    - Update to TWRP 3.6.2
    29.11.2021 - Update to TWRP 3.6.0
    - Add Symlinked dynamic partitions to fstab
    - Updated to latest kernel source
    - Update multidisabler
    - fstab clean up
    - Fix haptic feedback
    23.05.2021 - Update to latest TWRP source, update kernel to G781BXXU3CUD6.
    03.03.2021 - Update to latest TWRP source, Add terminal multidisabler script. fstab cleanup.
    22.01.2020 - Fix USB-OTG for Q & R builds.
    15.01.2020 - Initial build for Android 11
    31.12.2020 - Update TWRP to 3.5.0
    15.11.2020 - Add TWRP fastbootd support, Move kernel to gz format.
    11.11.2020 - Initial Release.
    @afaneh92 just checking in to ask what if any sources to you want / need to help you ?
    I'm on the Samsung open source site now and downloading a zip for G781BXXU2CUD1 but I've no idea if it's kernel sources inside (280mbs ish). another page I saw here mentioned using the inquiry tab to submit a request.

if you can tell me exactly what you want I'll more than happily put in a request for it, I'm sure others would too.

I'll edit this later and add the zip files full name that I've downloaded and if you want that I'll put it mediafire or similar.

SM-G781B_SEA_RR_Opensource.zip is the archive name, taken from clicking on G781BXXU2CUD1 which matches my current baseband and buildnumberView attachment 5299763
    I will start working on the new kernel source soon.
    Hi everybody,
    Sorry in advance for this noob question.
    Starting from stock Android12, I went thru all @afaneh92 process and it's working nicely.
    Now I'd like to upgrade to Androi13: do I have to rerun exactly all the process (& so loosing my data)?
    In other words: are BL unlock and avb disable persistent after an Odin flash ?
    Thank you for sharing your skills !
    Note: steps 2-6 are important, missing any will lose your data.

1. Load all files to their respective slots in odin, pick HOME_CSC instead of CSC.
    2. Uncheck auto reboot in Odin and hit start.
    3. Reboot to download if possible from odin options (not working on all devices), or using buttons combo.
    4. Keep auto reboot unchecked, Flash TWRP in AP slot and vbmeta_disabled.tar in USERDATA
    5. Hold volume down and power until the screen goes black then immediately switch to holding volume up and power to reboot into TWRP.
    6. Disable encryption:
    - Go to Advanced > Terminal, type: multidisabler.
    You will see " - Finished." When it is done.
    7. flash magisk then reboot to system (optional).