• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP for Galaxy S20/S20+/S20 Ultra

Search This thread

loxub

Jun 14, 2021
Yes you are right, I also used those options. I edited my previous answer accordingly.

Unfortunately I can't give you an answer directly out of my knowledge what you need to do now, but for TWRP I also found out that it is possibly an encryption issue.

Possible Solutions:
- Use an external microsd card to read the zip from there
- Wipe Data in recovery
- use "adb sideload" in recovery

Wiping data of course erases all of your data.

I will see what I can do and follow your tips.

Thank you for your time and your effort to help me!

jaccydan

Jun 15, 2021
Sorry to jump in on this thread like this but it seemed like the most relevant one for the problem I'm having..

Basically I've got an S20 Ultra and I believe I have used Odin successfully to install TWRP because Odin stated it was passed.

I am moving onto the next step of what I want to do and that is get into TWRP recovery mode so I can flash some ROMs.
I have followed the steps of required key presses as stated in this attachment below, but it just doesn't work for me:

TWRP Recovery Warning Message.jpg

This is sceengrabbed off a youtube video and I followed the visual steps of key presses on there too. I have tried with phone plugged in and out - but no luck.
Does anyone know if this is the correct method? Is there a way of me checking if TWRP actually is installed even?

Incidently, I have no clue about adb/fastboot/powershell, and I'm trying to do all this via the phone and TWRP. But I am open to learning.

jaccydan

Jun 15, 2021
Sorry to jump in on this thread like this but it seemed like the most relevant one for the problem I'm having..

Basically I've got an S20 Ultra and I believe I have used Odin successfully to install TWRP because Odin stated it was passed.

I am moving onto the next step of what I want to do and that is get into TWRP recovery mode so I can flash some ROMs.
I have followed the steps of required key presses as stated in this attachment below, but it just doesn't work for me:

View attachment 5339095

This is sceengrabbed off a youtube video and I followed the visual steps of key presses on there too. I have tried with phone plugged in and out - but no luck.
Does anyone know if this is the correct method? Is there a way of me checking if TWRP actually is installed even?

Incidently, I have no clue about adb/fastboot/powershell, and I'm trying to do all this via the phone and TWRP. But I am open to learning.
Managed to do the key presses to get into TWRP. I flashed Lineage and Magisk, now can't get the phone off of this screen - but can get back into TWRP.
Phone status.jpg

Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this? Thanks.

paul c

Nov 15, 2006
Madrid
I'm not sure if twrp works with Lineage. I thought you had to use the lineage recovery to flash lineage builds.

I know twrp works for eg BeyondROM

jaccydan

Jun 15, 2021
Thanks for the info Paul. I have no idea how lineage recovery works so will have to look that up.

However, I have managed to soft brick my phone now and can't turn off the phone (in order to key press into standard recovery mode), and it looks like TWRP has gone as I can't get into TWRP recovery.
I have the stock firmware downloaded. I know I probably shouldn't but, I am currently trying to flash this via Odin on this screen and not on the Download/Odin screen - hence the progess bar at the bottom of the phone. The problem now is the installation has been stuck in this position for about half an hour and I need to find a way of terminating the process (can't see a way to do this in Odin).
I have no idea what to do now to fix this phone.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Note how the ROM I tried flashing before has now given me an 'OEM Lock' of ON - when it was actually Unlocked and grayed out in Samsung Settings before. Don't know why that happened and if that is the reason why I'm stuck on this screen. This is why I feel I need to try and find a way of installing stock ROM and starting over again from scratch.
I can do a hard turn off via Pwr Key +Vol Down, but it just reboots back onto this screen and doesn't actually turn the phone off.

I will probably just kill Odin in task manager and see what happens - can't get any worse! :(

Hasn't helped that this phone is a Hong Kong variant.

Any help much appreciated.

20210616_111314.jpg

jaccydan

Jun 15, 2021
Well cancelling that process didn't help much. I now have this screen:

Odin screenshot.jpg

My log files are on the right and the youtube video is left. He has it on SYSTEM, whereas mine is on SUPER. I have been stuck where it is on halfway for the last hour. Going to give it a a while longer.
When I watched this video he got his to work. Perhaps because my OEM is locked (as previously displayed)?

I previously tried to install the Smart Switch software (as it says on the screen) and it totally wrecked my Windows, to the point where system restore could even sort it out.

I am running my PC now with little care as I will have to reset it anyway at some point - so I will probably try that Smart Switch route again if this process fails/continues stuck. The only thing is that with the Smart Switch route you need the phone serial number and I don't have that because I got this phone 2nd hand with no box and obviously didn't think to note down the serial number from within the phone settings before playing around with it.

Basically I have a brick right now, and can't think of any other ways to try to sort this out.

Any suggestions most welcome.

jaccydan

Jun 15, 2021
Perseverance paid off. I followed the procedure outlined in the previous post and actually used the correct flash files this time. My phone is now back to factory settings.

I would still like to de-google my phone however.

paul c commented earlier:

I'm not sure if twrp works with Lineage. I thought you had to use the lineage recovery to flash lineage builds.

I know twrp works for eg BeyondROM

I will ditch Lineage in this case and look up BeyondROM because I like using TWRP. I have to reset and rebuild my PC's apps, files and folders first (due to that bad Smart Switch program messing the whole setup).

I would welcome anyone to give me any tips and/or links in my attempt to mod my phone - (s20 Ultra SM-G9880 Hong Kong)
Thanks.

paul c

Nov 15, 2006
Madrid
Perseverance paid off. I followed the procedure outlined in the previous post and actually used the correct flash files this time. My phone is now back to factory settings.

I would still like to de-google my phone however.

paul c commented earlier:

I will ditch Lineage in this case and look up BeyondROM because I like using TWRP. I have to reset and rebuild my PC's apps, files and folders first (due to that bad Smart Switch program messing the whole setup).

I would welcome anyone to give me any tips and/or links in my attempt to mod my phone - (s20 Ultra SM-G9880 Hong Kong)
Thanks.
Good to hear!

I would prefer Lineage too in principle, but there are Samsung-specific hardware questions which for me at least mean that a ROM based on Samsung's is the most appropriate. For example, Samsung's camera app uses a lot of wizardry with which a 3rd party camera app cannot compete.

Anyway, another good reason for using BeyondROM with Twrp is the fact that Twrp will take a backup of our Super partition (afaik, the Lineage recovery can't do that). I always like to have a fresh backup before flashing, just in case things don't work out.

That said, the downside of using a Samsung-based ROM is the limited customisation available

jaccydan

Jun 15, 2021
That's good info paul, I'm very interested to use BeyondROM - I think I need to look at some potential youtube vids on it first to familiarize.

I have reached out on this forum thread, to see if anyone can give any advice/links:

That said, the downside of using a Samsung-based ROM is the limited customisation available

I think I can live with that with BeyondROM for the good compatibility/stability with the phone itself.

chieco

Jul 6, 2011
Please nobody to help me ? Anyone knows if there will be an update soon to install TWRP on roms newer than *DUB5 ?
New version for SM-G985F with region/firmware DBT/G985FXXU6DUB5

Guide firmwares update and file here

Thanks @ianmacd and @afaneh92 for help and guide

1. Select the BL, AP, CP and HOME_CSC files (save data)
** don't run the firmware yet

2. Download Ian's latest TWRP (twrp-z3s-3.5.0_10-A11_x_ianmacd.img) containing TWRP + patched vbmeta.img into USERDATA slot in Odin.

3. Uncheck the automatic reboot option in Odin
4. run the flashing
5. When the firmware is finished (leave USB connected !!!), hold the Vol Down + Power buttons, and then, as soon as the screen turns black, hold the Vol Up + Power buttons to boot into recovery
*, keep in mind that the first time you boot into recovery, it initializes and then reboots, so just keep the Vol Up + Power buttons pressed for longer than

6. TWRP - Multi-Disabler Firmware

7. Reboot TWRP - Flash Magisk (stable)

8. Flash Fix_warning_up_param_S20 +

9. RESTART.

cricriadi

Jan 24, 2016
High, I'm trying to enable the new Gboard theme and i was wondering if I'm not rooted can I just flash TWRP so I can side load the app or i have to loose all my data in the process anyways? Thx for a reply

kemick

Jun 1, 2021
@chieco thanks but i knew this post for *dub5 version. My question was : does it work for newer version ? (because *dub5 is from februar)
And now I can answer : NO it doesn't work

Knotte

Nov 19, 2012
Munich
That's good info paul, I'm very interested to use BeyondROM - I think I need to look at some potential youtube vids on it first to familiarize.

I have reached out on this forum thread, to see if anyone can give any advice/links:

I think I can live with that with BeyondROM for the good compatibility/stability with the phone itself.
From what you have been writing, you are trying to use Exynos-based ROMs (Lineage, BeyondROM) for your SM-G9880, which is a Snapdragon phone! Pay attention to the forum title. The only sub-forum to look for ROMs for you is Samsung Galaxy [SNAPDRAGON] S20 / S20+ / S20 Ultra.
There you will also find the TWRP for Snapdragon thread. Everything from an Exynos thread is just not going to work and you are wasting your time and nerves and filling these threads with unnecessary content. ;)

pablooo1984

Mar 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy S20
  • As soon as the screen turns off, QUICKLY hold the Volume Up and Power keys - keep holding the keys and release them once you see TWRP boot screen.

Note: This part is extremely delicate and if done wrong, you might have to restore the stock firmware and re-attempt the TWRP installation again.
Can i just hold te power button down? Or do i need to release it first, and then press volume up+power?

Does it matter if usb cable is plugged in ?

barti75

Jun 17, 2021
Vienna
Team Win Recovery Project 3.4.0

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.maketecheasier.com%2Fassets%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F01%2Ftwrp-featured.jpg

Exynos ONLY.
In NO way it is compatible with Snapdragon variants including but not limited to American(U/A/T/P/V), Chinese(0/8/6), Hong Kong(0), Japanese(SC-*), Canadian(W) variants.

Special Notes:
1. DON'T FORGET TO ENABLE "OEM UNLOCK" (located in Developers options).
2. KNOX will be tripped once you flashed custom binaries to your phone.
(Your warranty may be voided. However this may not affect you if your country forces Samsung to provide hardware warranty regardless of software status.)
3. Samsung Firmware OTA (aka System Updates) will no longer work once you flashed custom binaries.
(You can flash custom ROMs if you want to keep the OS up-to-date.)
4. All apps that use KNOX like Samsung pay, Secure Folder and maybe more will no more work

Download: S20/S20+/S20 Ultra(Exynos variants)
Download

Sources:
Kernel source
TWRP source
Device Tree: Sorry are not under GPL License since are my own so they will not get released :(

Changelog:

- Updated TWRP Source
- Adb Push works now without disable MTP in settings
- Fixed the bug where TWRP dont saved settings
- Updated DTB and DTBO for boot on One UI 3.0 (Use Magisk 21.1 for root One UI 3.0)
- Boot only with USB Cable or USB OTG connected (THX samsung for this stupid change in the bootloader)
- Removed decrypter from download folder (use Multidisabler 2.6 instead)

- Twrp boots now without nulled Vbmeta.img

- Fixed Optics and Prism Backup and Restore
- Brightness is now no more at max
- CPEFS error is gone
- Sec-EFS added in the FStab

-Initial Release

Bugs:
-MTP and Encryption (ADB PUSH WORKS when you disable mtp in TWRP mount settings!)

XDA:DevDB Information
[RECOVERY] TWRP for Galaxy S20/S20+/S20 Ultra, Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S20

Contributors
geiti94
Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
Stable
Stable Release Date: 2020-08-19

Created 2020-08-19
Last Updated 2020-12-06
Can anyone ReUpload this TWRP File? I think this download link is expired.
Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks!
    Thanks!

Look on page 13
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.4.0

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.maketecheasier.com%2Fassets%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F01%2Ftwrp-featured.jpg

Exynos ONLY.
    In NO way it is compatible with Snapdragon variants including but not limited to American(U/A/T/P/V), Chinese(0/8/6), Hong Kong(0), Japanese(SC-*), Canadian(W) variants.

Special Notes:
    1. DON'T FORGET TO ENABLE "OEM UNLOCK" (located in Developers options).
    2. KNOX will be tripped once you flashed custom binaries to your phone.
    (Your warranty may be voided. However this may not affect you if your country forces Samsung to provide hardware warranty regardless of software status.)
    3. Samsung Firmware OTA (aka System Updates) will no longer work once you flashed custom binaries.
    (You can flash custom ROMs if you want to keep the OS up-to-date.)
    4. All apps that use KNOX like Samsung pay, Secure Folder and maybe more will no more work

Download: S20/S20+/S20 Ultra(Exynos variants)
    Download

Sources:
    Kernel source
    TWRP source
    Device Tree: Sorry are not under GPL License since are my own so they will not get released :(

Changelog:

- Updated TWRP Source
    - Updated DTB and DTBO for boot on One UI 3.0 (Use Magisk 21.1 for root One UI 3.0)
    - Boot only with USB Cable or USB OTG connected (THX samsung for this stupid change in the bootloader)

- Twrp boots now without nulled Vbmeta.img

- Fixed Optics and Prism Backup and Restore
    - Brightness is now no more at max
    - CPEFS error is gone
    - Sec-EFS added in the FStab

-Initial Release

Bugs:
    -MTP and Encryption (ADB PUSH WORKS when you disable mtp in TWRP mount settings!)

XDA:DevDB Information
    [RECOVERY] TWRP for Galaxy S20/S20+/S20 Ultra, Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S20

Contributors
    geiti94
    Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
    Stable
    Stable Release Date: 2020-08-19

Created 2020-08-19
    Last Updated 2020-12-06
    Guide:
    1. Go to Developer settings and enable oem unlock
    2. power off the device and boot in download mode with vol up+ vol down buttons and plug in the usb (make sure usb cable is connected to the pc)
    3. in download mode you see the long press vol up option for unlock bl
    4. unlock the bootloader (that will wipe your device so be sure you made a backup of your data)
    5. after bootloader unlock boot up the phone and make sure it is connected to the internet or he triggers rmm prenormal
    6. setup the phone without google account etc
    7. reboot in download mode and flash twrp tar for your device with odin in the AP field
    8. hold vol up + power button while odin is flashing until you are in twrp.
    9. format data in twrp and install multidisabler (you find it here on xda!)
    10. Flash Latest Magisk
    11. press reboot to system in twrp.
    someone said MTP on s20 twrp? :p
    so update for One UI 3.0 is uploaded. like all time patched vbmeta is not needed for boot twrp. if you mods somethings in system or vendor then its needed that you flash a patched vbmeta

Changelog:

- Updated TWRP Source
    so BTH5 TWRP is released. Only updated is the kernel source