Development [RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP for Galaxy S22 Ultra (Exynos)

Search This thread

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
home.png
backupname.png

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
 * Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or your getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Supported Models:
Galaxy S22 Ultra S908B

Download & Guide:
1. Unlock your bootloader.
2. Downloads for S22 Ultra: b0s twrp and kernel
3. Reboot to download mode
4. Put the TWRP TAR for your device with Odin in the AP slot, vbmeta_disabled_R.tar in USERDATA slot and click start.
5. Reboot to recovery via recovery key combo (Vol up + power + USB connected).
6. Disable encryption:
- Go to Advanced > Terminal, type: multidisabler.​
If vendor complain about free space left on device, will attempt to resize vendor. and it ask to - Run multidisabler again!.​
- Type: multidisabler again. will see - Finished. when done.​
- Go back to Wipe > Format Data > type yes.​
- Reboot to recovery.​
7. Flash custom kernel and magisk apk in twrp.
8. Reboot to system, Enjoy.

Support:
Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.

Telegram group

Bugs:
- Encryption not fully working.

TWRP team
@ianmacd for multidisabler
@Dan_FFM (David Dean) for helping with convert readonly f2fs vendor to readwrite
Donators

Sources:
Kernel tree
Device tree

Last edited:

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
Note1: You need a custom permissive kernel to boot with R/W vendor.
Note2: If you got bootloop on Samsung logo, reboot to TWRP and wipe metadata from Advanced Wipe section.

Last edited:

dantist_140

Oct 22, 2012
Moscow
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
No Problems so far.. Installed and decrypted since 6 Days now
I cant delete any in /system/ directory via Solid Explorer or TWRP File Manager - "rm -rf ERROR 1."

What am I doing wrong ?
photo_2022-06-13_12-28-34.jpg
photo_2022-06-13_12-29-27.jpg

==============

UPD: There are no /system/ in Backup or Format tabs...
UPD2: I tryed for remount it by a cmd:

mount -o rw,remount /system_root

and have output:

'/dev/bloc/dm-0' is read-only.

Filesystem on /system - F2FS.
photo_2022-06-13_16-49-37.jpg

Total: /system/ directory is read only. I have no way to remount it to RW to make a changes...

Last edited:

C3R741N

Nov 21, 2019
So when making a backup what partitions do I need to check? There is a lot more partitions these days some I've never heard of before lol just got the s22 ultra as an upgrade coming from Note 9. oh how i already miss my headphone jack and sd card lmao holding on to this old note as looong as I can. But yea just a little confused note 9 had way less partitions and I know some aren't needed for backups just can't remember and don't know about these new partitions ie: Super, Prism , Etc

Last edited:

C3R741N

Nov 21, 2019
Super + data should be enough. Though you can backup prism + optics
As S22 have system ro nothing going to change in system, product,etc except vendor. For that purpose you needs super backup. Prism and optics for csc related.
dr.ketan:

Here some my thoughts and explanation about TWRP backup and restore

Firstly brief explanation about what does partition contains.
  • Boot : It is Kernel
  • Recovery : It is Recovery
  • super : That contains odm,product,system and vendor partitoin all togather.
  • optics : CSC files (where we routinely making changes for csc features) and network settings depending on your carrier
  • prism : carrier related apps and other stuff . In odin when you flash CSC*_ or Home_CSC* these two optics and prism gets flashed.
  • data : That is all your installed app and made changes in settings

Now what to backup/restore?
  • boot - Helps if something messed up with magisk or waht to restore kernel after flashing custom.
  • recovery - usually it doesn't require but if you flash some other recovery(TWRP) and you want to restore one in backup, that helps
  • super : As stated above these is main system, if something you have messed up in system/vendor (usually with flashing something, or erasing something) you can restore by super.img.
  • optics and prism : as explained above are CSC files, Rather than restoring it, I prefer to flash HOME_CSC*.tar.md5 to make csc compartment clean. So to backup or not not much important.
  • data : This very sensible part. I prefer to make data backup when there is no samsung a/c or Lockscreen protection there. Also don't restore it cross version of ROM. Also some common mistakes user making is, He/She clen install ROM and then restore data partiton of previous ROM. This is worst then even dirty installing ROM, never do it. It is just false sense of satisfaction that you made a clean install. According me, data partiton backup best to be made just after complete clean install ROM and setting up device without adding any account and lockscreen protection. So when you restore this backup, you will have a device just like you recently completed clean install and save your time to setup initial wizard
Backup Application,Call logs,Contacts,SMS etc

Titanium backup was ruling for decade for these but since A11 it's not trust worthy and on A12 almost useless.
Swift Backup is now my choice (Some other like Migrate, App dash (by RD XDA dev flar2) also alternatives)
For contacts : I do prefer google sync. Just adding google ac everything will be restore on it's own, provided you are saving contacts in google. In case you want to make off line backup of contact, there is a built in utility in phone. Contact - settings - export - This will create a file. Similarly browse same file while you want to import contacts. Catch in this is your contact image will not retain size and it just backup thumbnail picture.
Only one utilility I have found that makes offline contact backup without distoring image quality is My Phone Explore client (needs on both PC and Phone). Also this utility is best for wireless file manager.

Schheduled backup - A must needed utility.

I always prefer clean installation (Factory reset withot wiping media files) and really it takes less than 30 minutes to setup everything.
If you enable schedule backup utility in your Backup app (e.g Swift backup have this) and make some profile like
1.Backup - new app at X time then it will auto backup all app that you have new installed at given time
2.Backup updated app at x time - This will make backup of any app that you have updated in store will backup at given time
3.Any app which get data changes frequently and you needs data changes like whatsapp then create a profile favorite app - add whatsapp in favorite and schedule it to make backup daily at given time.

with these your device always remain ready to clean install anytime instead of last moment backup or some urgent clean install needed.

Also Folder Sync is good utility if you needs duplicate copy of files from Internal storage with scheduled operation.

Hope this may helpful and answer lots of queries for many.
Passing this info along to anyone else that was confused by which partitions were needed for a basic backup :)

Last edited:

rafal.polska.b

Mar 22, 2015
Gdynia
Two questions:
1. Is the custom kernel required to be flashed?
I have rooted ROM and Magisk is already installed.
2. Can be TWRP installed on this phone or do I need first back to stock ROM flashing original AP* tar file?

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Two questions:
1. Is the custom kernel required to be flashed?
I have rooted ROM and Magisk is already installed.
2. Can be TWRP installed on this phone or do I need first back to stock ROM flashing original AP* tar file?
1.If you want to use TWRP fully functional, you needs to run multidisabler and that needs to have custom kernel. If you want to use TWRP and don't run multidisabler, it is fine with stock kernel too, but here TWRP have very limited functions like backup partition (except data partition) only to USB storage. SO say, yes you needs custom kernel, else it is useless to have TWRP
2. You can install straighway TWRP (must be included patched vbmeta) if you are already on stock rooted ROM + you needs to run multidisabler + needs to Format data.

rafal.polska.b

Mar 22, 2015
Gdynia
1.If you want to use TWRP fully functional, you needs to run multidisabler and that needs to have custom kernel. If you want to use TWRP and don't run multidisabler, it is fine with stock kernel too, but here TWRP have very limited functions like backup partition (except data partition) only to USB storage. SO say, yes you needs custom kernel, else it is useless to have TWRP
2. You can install straighway TWRP (must be included patched vbmeta) if you are already on stock rooted ROM + you needs to run multidisabler + needs to Format data.
TWRP installed, custom kernel too.
Everything went OK except Wipe -> Format Data.
It ended with "Successful" final result but generated few errors at the beginnig:
IMG_20220709_172930-1.jpg

Anyway, when restarting my phhone to recovery TWRP is launched, in system everything is OK.
Now I'm waiting for dr.ketan ROM version S09.
Thanks so far for your explanations @dr.ketan

babyboy3265

Sep 20, 2012
Jupiter
Guys I have just received a Korean 512GB S908N, the phone seems to have a Snapdragon CPU. Why is it in this Exynos thread?

Please help me understand, searching has not led to any answers so far about what the CPU really is. The internet seems to have mixed feelings.

What is happening? o_O

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
Guys I have just received a Korean 512GB S908N, the phone seems to have a Snapdragon CPU. Why is it in this Exynos thread?

Please help me understand, searching has not led to any answers so far about what the CPU really is. The internet seems to have mixed feelings.

What is happening? o_O
Install cpu-z or any app that check for cpu and check, also check for bootloader. Might be flashed to different fake software

babyboy3265

Sep 20, 2012
Jupiter
Install cpu-z or any app that check for cpu and check, also check for bootloader. Might be flashed to different fake software
Well it is the weirdest thing... Look at the screenshots.. 🤯 The phone is original in a box.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220803-105331_CPU-Z.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-105331_CPU-Z.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20220803-105312_CPU-Z.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-105312_CPU-Z.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20220803-105319_CPU-Z.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-105319_CPU-Z.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 26

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well it is the weirdest thing... Look at the screenshots.. 🤯 The phone is original in a box.
    OK you have a snapdragon S22 Ultra, it was mistake maybe samsung changed her mind when I first searched they said exynos.
    home.png
    backupname.png

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
     * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or your getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Supported Models:
    Galaxy S22 Ultra S908B

Download & Guide:
    1. Unlock your bootloader.
    2. Downloads for S22 Ultra: b0s twrp and kernel
    3. Reboot to download mode
    4. Put the TWRP TAR for your device with Odin in the AP slot, vbmeta_disabled_R.tar in USERDATA slot and click start.
    5. Reboot to recovery via recovery key combo (Vol up + power + USB connected).
    6. Disable encryption:
    - Go to Advanced > Terminal, type: multidisabler.​
    If vendor complain about free space left on device, will attempt to resize vendor. and it ask to - Run multidisabler again!.​
    - Type: multidisabler again. will see - Finished. when done.​
    - Go back to Wipe > Format Data > type yes.​
    - Reboot to recovery.​
    7. Flash custom kernel and magisk apk in twrp.
    8. Reboot to system, Enjoy.

Support:
    Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.

Telegram group

Bugs:
    - Encryption not fully working.

TWRP team
    @ianmacd for multidisabler
    @Dan_FFM (David Dean) for helping with convert readonly f2fs vendor to readwrite
    Donators

Sources:
    Kernel tree
    Device tree
    Any love for s22/s22+?
    Soon, join the group and provide me with some files
    OK you have a snapdragon S22 Ultra, it was mistake maybe samsung changed her mind when I first searched they said exynos.