Development [RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP for Galaxy Tab S8 Series (Snapdragon)

Search This thread

SavXL

If it's not on your local app store due to govt censorship, you can get directly from https://telegram.org/android

Once you have the app installed, if your local govt is forcing your ISP to block communication go to Settings > Data and Storage > Proxy Settings and add a MTProto proxy

Hostname: proxy.mtproto.co
Port: 443
Secret: 11112222333344445555666677778888

There are many more available, just search for "MTProto proxy server" on your favorite search engine.

Telegram is EXTREMELY censorship resistant. You'll eventually be able to get past the censorship.

EDIT - It looks like in later posts you say it doesn't work because your phone number is blocked. Google Voice and TextNow numbers can be used to verify Telegram, as well as landlines (you have to wait a couple of minutes for the SMS to timeout, and then it will call the landline).
I ended up just asking one of my friends if I could use their number to verify my account. Worked out super well.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

emko7

Sep 5, 2010

I've tried flashing the latest build for my SM-X806B twrp-3.6.2_12-2_afaneh92-gts8p.tar

But now TWRP won't even load at all. In fact the system just hangs on the samsung logo and won't start up. I can enter download mode using adb and to get my tablet to boot again I had to flash the older version of TWRP where the touchscreen doesn't work.

• Wow

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012

I've tried flashing the latest build for my SM-X806B twrp-3.6.2_12-2_afaneh92-gts8p.tar

But now TWRP won't even load at all. In fact the system just hangs on the samsung logo and won't start up. I can enter download mode using adb and to get my tablet to boot again I had to flash the older version of TWRP where the touchscreen doesn't work.
thanks will fix it soon

joe535

home.png
backupname.png

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
 * Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or your getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Supported Models:
Galaxy Tab S8 X906B, X906C, X906N, X900, X806B, X806C, X806N, X800

Download & Guide:
1. Unlock your bootloader.
2. Downloads for Tab S8: gts8u twrp, gts8p twrp and kernel
3. Reboot to download mode
4. Put the TWRP TAR for your device with Odin in the AP slot, vbmeta_disabled_R.tar in USERDATA slot and click start.
5. Reboot to recovery via recovery key combo (Vol up + power + USB connected).
6. Disable encryption:
- Go to Advanced > Terminal, type: multidisabler.​
If vendor complain about free space left on device, will attempt to resize vendor. and it ask to - Run multidisabler again!.​
- Type: multidisabler again. will see - Finished. when done.​
- Go back to Wipe > Format Data > type yes.​
- Reboot to recovery.​
7. Flash custom kernel and magisk apk in twrp.
8. Reboot to system, Enjoy.

Support:
Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.

Telegram group
Hi
Bugs:
- Encryption not fully working.

TWRP team
@ianmacd for multidisabler
@Dan_FFM (David Dean) for helping with convert readonly f2fs vendor to readwrite
Donators

Sources:
Kernel tree
Device tree: gts8u, gts8p

Hi, is it possible only to upload TWRP by ADB command (temporarily) to the device, use it and just reboot? I found out that I can do this with my Oneplus 7 pro.. Just great, no need to flash TWRP...

Hero_is_Over

Nov 5, 2012
formatting data every time you want to put on twrp or update is a pretty heavy cost for a recovery that is useless rn due to no development work being done on it. This is still a great boon to the community with all it's flaws, but me or somebody capable has got to work on AOSP or maybe something as minor as an optimized performance kernel just to justify having to destroy the device setup you spent so much time perfecting. Now if you could nandroid while simultaneously adb pushing the images on desktop as to avoid reliance on encrypted data, then I am all game to be the guinea pig who gets a soft brick every time you release a new version since you don't test first. Which I can't blame you, you have done well and nice enough to do this much for a device you don't own or profit much from

Chaser42

Jun 11, 2015
Houston, TEXAS
Hey guys. I've got a new sgts8 (SM-X700) here and would love to get me some TWRP. Please let me know if there's anything that I can help out with. I have the latest firmware and can get you any files that you require.

I will also give you a visit over in Telegram.

Chaser

SAMS122

Jul 21, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
Could someone in non-geek language explain tha state of TWRP progress on S8 Ultra.
What works, what doesn't, etc. Can you use it and how?
I have been using it on my other Samsung devices for years and feel handicapped without it.
No backups to SD. No Magisk.

Techguy777

I'm interested to know the same thing as the guy above me asked.
What is twrp do on the Tab S8 now?
Obviously with a/b slots, dynamic partitions and RO systems it's hard to say.
My Poco F3 can't restore we use twrp to do kernel backups and flash custom Roms. However on the Tab S8 I wouldn't want a custom Rom because you'd lose Spen. Now they finally figured out how to backup data and restore it so that's awesome. You can also build orange fox recovery which is way better than twrp in my opinion. Orange Fox has a magisk module manager so deactivate or delete modules that cause a bootloop. You also have a search bar at top where you can type the file name which is also nice. Recovery is limited these days and I wonder if it does anything really?

Techguy777

Could someone in non-geek language explain tha state of TWRP progress on S8 Ultra.
What works, what doesn't, etc. Can you use it and how?
I have been using it on my other Samsung devices for years and feel handicapped without it.
No backups to SD. No Magisk.
I've been doing XDA now for about 6 years. I have learned that when no one answers you that something doesn't work. My guess is TWRP doesn't back up and restore anything right now. So it would be pointless in some sense. TWRP is almost a thing of the past now. I don't own the S8 tab but I was thinking about getting it. If you have root, permissive kernel, and one UI you don't need anything else. I wouldn't flash AOSP and lose spen if it was available. TWRP doesn't work in almost all new devices so its not the dev's fault its androids for changing everything. Does it have A B slots?

Reactions: sosimple

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
I've been doing XDA now for about 6 years. I have learned that when no one answers you that something doesn't work. My guess is TWRP doesn't back up and restore anything right now. So it would be pointless in some sense. TWRP is almost a thing of the past now. I don't own the S8 tab but I was thinking about getting it. If you have root, permissive kernel, and one UI you don't need anything else. I wouldn't flash AOSP and lose spen if it was available. TWRP doesn't work in almost all new devices so its not the dev's fault its androids for changing everything. Does it have A B slots?
***Mod edit***
I can skip answering because its already answered in OP
And I see you saying A/B slots on samsung devices ***Mod edit***

And spen work on oasp and even I can make it work on twrp. So stop and read.

Last edited by a moderator:

Techguy777

And I see you saying A/B slots on samsung devices

Just to be sure I went ahead and did ctrl+f and scanned the OP for backup and restore and it found 0 matches. So obviously that's TWRPs primary function and then flashing ROMs. Since there are 0 ROMs made that would be pointless to ask. So ill say it again correct me if I'm wrong the TWRP can't backup and restore the system or data right?

When guys like you skip peoples questions that is the answer. It makes you feel bad and so you jump on comments like mine.

What would be more epic would be no it restores full backups now what.

Techguy777

Im doing xda 12 years now, and still see pointless post like yours.
And I see you saying A/B slots on samsung devices and that indicates that is your name is useless and means notechguy

I almost forgot you don't even have touch screen working and you have AOSP and s pen working with no AOSP Roms made?

None of the things you claim are even possible right now.

Yes Samsung doesn't have A/B slots at the moment but they could change and isn't the system RO and can't be backed up or restored?

I have a tab S6 with the latest TWRP 3.6.2 and like always the S pen freaks out in twrp you can't even touch the screen because it'll start clicking things by hovering over it.

If TWRP can decrypt the S8 it has a purpose but you would have to admit that no backup and restore sucks ****. 3 Years ago every dev would say make backup make backup and now some people just copy and paste twrp page and don't tell you it can't restore backup even if it does back it up.

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
Just to be sure I went ahead and did ctrl+f and scanned the OP for backup and restore and it found 0 matches. So obviously that's TWRPs primary function and then flashing ROMs. Since there are 0 ROMs made that would be pointless to ask. So ill say it again correct me if I'm wrong the TWRP can't backup and restore the system or data right?

When guys like you skip peoples questions that is the answer. It makes you feel bad and so you jump on comments like mine.

What would be more epic would be no it restores full backups now what.
If you find 0 about it in the bug list that means its working so stop this wrong thoughts
I can't list every working feature but I can post every existence bug. This how things work.

Touch works on tabs8 plus and ultra and the lack of good testers on regular tab s8 make touch not working yet.

And yes you can backup and restore rw or ro partitions its not something you would ask because its trivial.

Reactions: sosimple

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't know if I understand your directions.

Might need to reflash stock firmware to decrease vendor size if you are coming from twrp build 3 or older
    Flash this tool on fresh firmware before runnung multidisabler to resize vendor (Build 3 or older)
    then run multidisabler and format data
    reboot to recovery and flash the tool again to resize system
    on Build 4 (from androidfilehost) after running multidisabler, format reboot to twrp then flash zip

Heres what I think your saying
    I would need to flash stock firmware again
    before then flash twrp after setting up google acount
    flash rw zip
    then do
    - Go to Advanced > Terminal, type: multidisabler.
    If vendor complain about free space left on device, will attempt to resize vendor. and it ask to - Run multidisabler again!.
    - Type: multidisabler again. will see - Finished. when done.
    - Go back to Wipe > Format Data > type yes.
    - Reboot to recovery.

If thats right I dont understand why running multidisabler before flashing rw makes system to big and how it works if flashing before multidisabler makes system size doable.

Just a yes or no if im correct is all I need

Also after flashing twrp I turn off auto reboot and hold volume down and power, when screen goes black I switch to volume up. The instructions don't say to do that. Do you not have to anymore?

can I just hold power and volume up plugged in?

feel free to comment anyone any input is welcome
    As I said it need new twrp with size fix, just wait
    I got an error like the guy on telegram did.

How do I fix it? Wont it make it the same size again if I flash stock firmware?

You seem very knowledgeable when one ui 5.0 drops for WIFI is twrp, kernel, and root the same or do you have to update it?

I figure the vb meta file is the same

Thanks for the help
    Im working on new twrp build, will fix the size and make it work without custom kernel. Need some time for debugging.
    I ordered a S8 plus from Samsung it'll be here this week. I notice that the kernel is for the S22 I'm assuming it works for the tab S8 also

Do I have to be on a certain firmware with a certain security patch?

I have the Tab S6 and you cant flash last firmware's kernel on the new update if there is an update.

If I do need a certain firmware and security patch what one?

any help would be greatly apricated, I can't wait to get this rooted and setup thanks for making twrp and the kernel

afaneh92

You definitely do a lot of devices I cant image the amount of storage required. When I built android 9 for a few devices it took like a 100gb or something. Twrp was like 50 to 75 I believe I cant remember though.
    I received my S8 + on the second of Nov. Updated to the latest firmware rooted and installed TWRP and this kernel same day and all is well.
    No worries.
    I ordered a S8 plus from Samsung it'll be here this week. I notice that the kernel is for the S22 I'm assuming it works for the tab S8 also

Do I have to be on a certain firmware with a certain security patch?

I have the Tab S6 and you cant flash last firmware's kernel on the new update if there is an update.

If I do need a certain firmware and security patch what one?

any help would be greatly apricated, I can't wait to get this rooted and setup thanks for making twrp and the kernel

afaneh92

You definitely do a lot of devices I cant image the amount of storage required. When I built android 9 for a few devices it took like a 100gb or something. Twrp was like 50 to 75 I believe I cant remember though.
    its ok, use latest kernel and twrp
    home.png
    backupname.png

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
     * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or your getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Supported Models:
    Galaxy Tab S8 X906B, X906C, X906N, X900, X806B, X806C, X806N, X800

Download & Guide:
    1. Unlock your bootloader.
    2. Downloads for Tab S8: gts8u twrp, gts8p twrp , gts8 twrp and kernel
    3. Reboot to download mode
    4. Put the TWRP TAR for your device with Odin in the AP slot, vbmeta_disabled_R.tar in USERDATA slot and click start.
    5. Reboot to recovery via recovery key combo (Vol up + power + USB connected).
    6. Disable encryption:
    - Go to Advanced > Terminal, type: multidisabler.​
    If vendor complain about free space left on device, will attempt to resize vendor. and it ask to - Run multidisabler again!.​
    - Type: multidisabler again. will see - Finished. when done.​
    - Go back to Wipe > Format Data > type yes.​
    - Reboot to recovery.​

Support:
    Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.

Telegram group

Bugs:
    - Encryption not fully working.

TWRP team
    @ianmacd for multidisabler
    @Dan_FFM (David Dean) for helping with convert readonly f2fs vendor to readwrite
    Donators

Sources:
    Kernel tree
    Device tree: gts8u, gts8p
    Changelog:
    01.09.2022 - Fix touchscreen not working on regular TabS8 thanks to @liuyc
    - Exclude fonts data from backup
    25.06.2022 - Remove unused vm-bootsys mount point.
    - Add micro-sd support.
    - Add touch/keyboard firmware for TabS8 and TabS8+
    09.06.2022 - Initial Release.
    Note1: You need a custom permissive kernel to boot with R/W vendor.
    Note2: If you got bootloop on Samsung logo, reboot to TWRP and wipe metadata from Advanced Wipe section
    Hello @afaneh92 . I happen to own a Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 (Model X700, CSC: CHN) device. And, I forked your GitHub repository, applied some tweaks to the touch screen parameters, and tested the tweaks on my device. I believe that I have fixed the touch screen problem, at least for my device. My device's TWRP is fully working now. I used its touch screen to run the multidisabler, to flash the custom kernel, and to flash Magisk without any problems. Thank you for your brilliant works! And, I am happy to share with you and the community both the source code and binaries. I will attach the GitHub link of my release below. (Attachment 1/2) I will also attach the same binary here for the communities' convenience. (Attachment 2/2)

---- Attachments ----
    - Attachment 1/2: Release GitHub link
    Link: https://github.com/liu-yucheng/TWRP-GalaxyTabS8/releases/tag/v3.6.2_12-2-3

- Attachment 2/2: Released TWRP binary
    File name: twrp-3.6.2_12-2-3_afaneh92-gts8-yliu-patch.tar
    File MD5: EC2D4D1E839C6EA1319C65E1CAD63546
    ***Moderator Announcement***
    Keep it civil, folks. While you're welcome to differ in opinion, you must treat one another with respect and civility. Flaming and disrespect will not be tolerated.