Development [RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP for Galaxy Tab S8 Series (Snapdragon)

Search This thread

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
I've already been reading the telegram thread and you did have a problem with data - July 22nd you fixed data backup issue and update kernel and modules. You didn't list that as a bug here
Its not twrp bug that cant backup data. Its samsung firmware bug so its not listed as twrp bug.
I have fixed it by excluding the fonts folder from data and still under testing.

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
Samsung fonts won't back up? Never heard that before
The data of fonts not the fonts, I cant explain more the mod will ban me if I do.
So if you got one of those devices come back and ask whatever you like
My twrp is 99.9% stable and if you are worried about the .01% its same for all samsung devices and dont buy samsung if you cant handle the loss of data encryption

Techguy777

The data of fonts not the fonts, I cant explain more the mod will ban me if I do.
So if you got one of those devices come back and ask whatever you like
My twrp is 99.9% stable and if you are worried about the .01% its same for all samsung devices and dont buy samsung if you cant handle the loss of data encryption
No are you kidding I hate encryption on my devices. Even with recovery on my poco f3 now able to read the encryption data. I still leave it unencrypted. I'm a lower security guy root, permissive kernel, unencrypted data, bootloader unlocked and no safety net. I think people get carried away with that stuff. I would rather my tablet be fully open for me to do whatever I want to.

Monthly security patches lol next month they'll tell you this months patch was crap again. I don't even care

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
No are you kidding I hate encryption on my devices. Even with recovery on my poco f3 now able to read the encryption data. I still leave it unencrypted. I'm a lower security guy root, permissive kernel, unencrypted data, bootloader unlocked and no safety net. I think people get carried away with that stuff. I would rather my tablet be fully open for me to do whatever I want to.

Monthly security patches lol next month they'll tell you this months patch was crap again. I don't even care
The only problem with newer 2022 devices is that you can't modify the ro f2fs partitions like system without making it rw and its not possible because I didn't release the script to do yet.
So in my opinion my twrp is stable, otherwise its users fault not following my instructions.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I'm sure you are quite capable of explaining things without being rude. It may be a challenge, but I'm still able to address people in a respectful manner even after a decade in the US Marines, where the most common words we use in reference to each other starts with the letter F.

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
I'm sure you are quite capable of explaining things without being rude. It may be a challenge, but I'm still able to address people in a respectful manner even after a decade in the US Marines, where the most common words we use in reference to each other starts with the letter F.
Not today.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I'll share some ageless advice then:

If you have nothing constructive to say, then say nothing. There's no excuse to being rude and abusive to others.

I'm having a pretty rotten day - my beloved car blew its engine 2 days ago, my wife is grouchy, and I'm being put under a lot of pressure at work...but I am still responsible for the way I treat others, who don't deserve any of the crap that may be happening to me, no matter how much they seem irritating. You are responsible for the way you act as well, just like everyone else.

TL;DR: just because someone urinated in your Wheaties doesn't give you an excuse to be an anal orifice, at least not here on XDA.

Last edited:

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
I'll share some ageless advice then:

If you have nothing constructive to say, then say nothing. There's no excuse to being rude and abusive to others. I'm having a pretty rotten day - my beloved car blew its engine 2 days ago, my wife is grouchy, and I'm being put under a lot of pressure at work...but I am still responsible for the way I treat others, who don't deserve any of the crap that may be happening to me, no matter how much they seem irritating. You are responsible for the way you act as well, just like everyone else.
I know this guy for long time, he never said thanks or appreciated people work.
I spent hundreds of hours to get this stable and usable. But people cant read. They want me to spoon-feed them every single moment.
Im supporting nearly 70 samsung device.
I have enough pressure at work and life.
Thanks for your words, and sorry for being rude today.

Reactions: pcriz and Chaser42

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I know this guy for long time, he never said thanks or appreciated people work.
Some people weren't raised with any semblance of manners.
I spent hundreds of hours to get this stable and usable. But people cant read. They want me to spoon-feed them every single moment.
Take a look at the Pixel 6 forums sometime and see how many people are bricking their phones because they can't follow explicit instructions.
Im supporting nearly 70 samsung device.
I have enough pressure at work and life.
I understand that it's frustrating and rather thankless. Just remember that you owe no one here anything. your time is your own, your work is voluntary, and you have no obligation to spend any more time on these projects than you absolutely want to.

For everyone using this project: You would do well to remember the same. Developers owe you nothing. Do not ask for updates or ETAs. Do not be rude. Be grateful that there are people who spend much of their own time developing work to share.
Thanks for your words, and sorry for being rude today.
I appreciate it.

Reactions: Chaser42

SAMS122

Jul 21, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
Heres a question everyone is there a place in the US where you can get the S8 plus tablet with 5G without a carrier?

Im not finding anything but sometimes you guys know people in Hong Kong that sells them to US.
A bit off topic. I got my s8 Ultra 512 5G on Ebay.de for 1250€ some six weeks ago. € snd $ almost at par.
Shipped to Ireland. Might ship to US.

Techguy777

A bit off topic. I got my s8 Ultra 512 5G on Ebay.de for 1250€ some six weeks ago. € snd $ almost at par.
Shipped to Ireland. Might ship to US.
Thank you, Have any of you tried to switch the stock kernel to permissive?

My s10 lite and S6 tablet both one UI 4.1 and Samsung left permissive on stock kernel. You can either use selinux changer, terminal commands, or magisk permissive module.

I understand no one thought to look but it would silly to make a custom kernel if you didnt have to.

deadedge7

Jan 13, 2018
The only problem with newer 2022 devices is that you can't modify the ro f2fs partitions like system without making it rw and its not possible because I didn't release the script to do yet.
So in my opinion my twrp is stable, otherwise its users fault not following my instructions.
Thanks support twrp and kernel permissive, partition sdcard very good.
SM-X800
/System ro script cool, glad to have you here!

Reactions: afaneh92

Techguy777

Is there a option to root and flash TWRP, or any other Custom Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Wifi ( SM-X700 ) ?

If there is a option, is there any Custom ROM for this model, too ?

Thanks, JonnyBoy1984
I believe if you go the telegram link he has twrp for wifi S8 model. Why would anyone want a custom rom for S8 tablet? Ive never seen a custom rom bring S pen or camera with it. So you get AOSP and lose camera and S pen ? Why would anyone want that? You could have bought any other tablet for that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello @afaneh92 . I happen to own a Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 (Model X700, CSC: CHN) device. And, I forked your GitHub repository, applied some tweaks to the touch screen parameters, and tested the tweaks on my device. I believe that I have fixed the touch screen problem, at least for my device. My device's TWRP is fully working now. I used its touch screen to run the multidisabler, to flash the custom kernel, and to flash Magisk without any problems. Thank you for your brilliant works! And, I am happy to share with you and the community both the source code and binaries. I will attach the GitHub link of my release below. (Attachment 1/2) I will also attach the same binary here for the communities' convenience. (Attachment 2/2)

---- Attachments ----
    - Attachment 1/2: Release GitHub link
    Link: https://github.com/liu-yucheng/TWRP-GalaxyTabS8/releases/tag/v3.6.2_12-2-3

- Attachment 2/2: Released TWRP binary
    File name: twrp-3.6.2_12-2-3_afaneh92-gts8-yliu-patch.tar
    File MD5: EC2D4D1E839C6EA1319C65E1CAD63546
    Try my build if touch working!

Sorry, I didn't realize you had a new build, I will test it as soon as I have a chance.

Ch42er
    So I have a question about the kernal patch. I was looking at the notes and it looks like it was made specifically for the kernal in build AVF5. However, I am running the latest update which is build AVG9. Is it normal for this to work? It has been about a day so far everything has been working properly. Maybe I was just lucky? :)

Ch42er
    So I have a question about the kernal patch. I was looking at the notes and it looks like it was made specifically for the kernal in build AVF5. However, I am running the latest update which is build AVG9. Is it normal for this to work? It has been about a day so far everything has been working properly. Maybe I was just lucky? :)

Ch42er
    If kernel is the same version 5.10.81 or 43 the old one it will work depending on what is yours
    If kernel is the same version 5.10.81 or 43 the old one it will work depending on what is yours

So I either have the right kernel version or it only says that because I've got your patch applied...

Ch42er
    home.png
    backupname.png

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
     * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or your getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Supported Models:
    Galaxy Tab S8 X906B, X906C, X906N, X900, X806B, X806C, X806N, X800

Download & Guide:
    1. Unlock your bootloader.
    2. Downloads for Tab S8: gts8u twrp, gts8p twrp , gts8 twrp and kernel
    3. Reboot to download mode
    4. Put the TWRP TAR for your device with Odin in the AP slot, vbmeta_disabled_R.tar in USERDATA slot and click start.
    5. Reboot to recovery via recovery key combo (Vol up + power + USB connected).
    6. Disable encryption:
    - Go to Advanced > Terminal, type: multidisabler.​
    If vendor complain about free space left on device, will attempt to resize vendor. and it ask to - Run multidisabler again!.​
    - Type: multidisabler again. will see - Finished. when done.​
    - Go back to Wipe > Format Data > type yes.​
    - Reboot to recovery.​
    7. Flash custom kernel and magisk apk in twrp.
    8. Reboot to system, Enjoy.

Support:
    Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.

Telegram group

Bugs:
    - Encryption not fully working.

TWRP team
    @ianmacd for multidisabler
    @Dan_FFM (David Dean) for helping with convert readonly f2fs vendor to readwrite
    Donators

Sources:
    Kernel tree
    Device tree: gts8u, gts8p
    Changelog:
    01.09.2022 - Fix touchscreen not working on regular TabS8 thanks to @liuyc
    - Exclude fonts data from backup
    25.06.2022 - Remove unused vm-bootsys mount point.
    - Add micro-sd support.
    - Add touch/keyboard firmware for TabS8 and TabS8+
    09.06.2022 - Initial Release.
    Hello @afaneh92 . I happen to own a Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 (Model X700, CSC: CHN) device. And, I forked your GitHub repository, applied some tweaks to the touch screen parameters, and tested the tweaks on my device. I believe that I have fixed the touch screen problem, at least for my device. My device's TWRP is fully working now. I used its touch screen to run the multidisabler, to flash the custom kernel, and to flash Magisk without any problems. Thank you for your brilliant works! And, I am happy to share with you and the community both the source code and binaries. I will attach the GitHub link of my release below. (Attachment 1/2) I will also attach the same binary here for the communities' convenience. (Attachment 2/2)

---- Attachments ----
    - Attachment 1/2: Release GitHub link
    Link: https://github.com/liu-yucheng/TWRP-GalaxyTabS8/releases/tag/v3.6.2_12-2-3

- Attachment 2/2: Released TWRP binary
    File name: twrp-3.6.2_12-2-3_afaneh92-gts8-yliu-patch.tar
    File MD5: EC2D4D1E839C6EA1319C65E1CAD63546
    Note1: You need a custom permissive kernel to boot with R/W vendor.
    Note2: If you got bootloop on Samsung logo, reboot to TWRP and wipe metadata from Advanced Wipe section
    ***Moderator Announcement***
    Keep it civil, folks. While you're welcome to differ in opinion, you must treat one another with respect and civility. Flaming and disrespect will not be tolerated.