Development [RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP for Galaxy Tab S8 Series (Snapdragon)

Search This thread

Chaser42

Jun 11, 2015
Houston, TEXAS
I know this guy for long time, he never said thanks or appreciated people work.
I spent hundreds of hours to get this stable and usable. But people cant read. They want me to spoon-feed them every single moment.
Im supporting nearly 70 samsung device.
I have enough pressure at work and life.
Thanks for your words, and sorry for being rude today.

MOD EDIT: F WORD REMOVED | READ AND FOLLOW THE FORUM RULES

You. Are. Awesome.

I appreciate everything you do. We're very fortunate to have folks like you in the community who are able to be so altruistic just by doing something on the side as a hobby they enjoy.

Stay awesome, my friend. Many thanks for all that you do. :)

Chaser

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: afaneh92

pcriz

I believe if you go the telegram link he has twrp for wifi S8 model. Why would anyone want a custom rom for S8 tablet? Ive never seen a custom rom bring S pen or camera with it. So you get AOSP and lose camera and S pen ? Why would anyone want that? You could have bought any other tablet for that.

What's a comparable tablet that doesn't come with a pen? As far as the camera, it's my tablet, not my phone. I feel like a lot of people could live without it unless they are doing a lot of video chat. And in that case, those other tabs would probably lose the camera as well if they were at least Samsung tablets.

liuyc

Nov 28, 2019
Hello @afaneh92 . I happen to own a Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 (Model X700, CSC: CHN) device. And, I forked your GitHub repository, applied some tweaks to the touch screen parameters, and tested the tweaks on my device. I believe that I have fixed the touch screen problem, at least for my device. My device's TWRP is fully working now. I used its touch screen to run the multidisabler, to flash the custom kernel, and to flash Magisk without any problems. Thank you for your brilliant works! And, I am happy to share with you and the community both the source code and binaries. I will attach the GitHub link of my release below. (Attachment 1/2) I will also attach the same binary here for the communities' convenience. (Attachment 2/2)

---- Attachments ----
- Attachment 1/2: Release GitHub link
Link: https://github.com/liu-yucheng/TWRP-GalaxyTabS8/releases/tag/v3.6.2_12-2-3

- Attachment 2/2: Released TWRP binary
File name: twrp-3.6.2_12-2-3_afaneh92-gts8-yliu-patch.tar
File MD5: EC2D4D1E839C6EA1319C65E1CAD63546

Attachments

• twrp-3.6.2_12-2-3_afaneh92-gts8-yliu-patch.tar
    52.9 MB · Views: 25

Chaser42

Jun 11, 2015
Houston, TEXAS
Thanks
Hello @afaneh92 . I happen to own a Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 (Model X700, CSC: CHN) device. And, I forked your GitHub repository, applied some tweaks to the touch screen parameters, and tested the tweaks on my device. I believe that I have fixed the touch screen problem, at least for my device. My device's TWRP is fully working now. I used its touch screen to run the multidisabler, to flash the custom kernel, and to flash Magisk without any problems. Thank you for your brilliant works! And, I am happy to share with you and the community both the source code and binaries. I will attach the GitHub link of my release below. (Attachment 1/2) I will also attach the same binary here for the communities' convenience. (Attachment 2/2)

---- Attachments ----
Link: https://github.com/liu-yucheng/TWRP-GalaxyTabS8/releases/tag/v3.6.2_12-2-3

Thanks @liuyc! So far everything is running smoothly.

Ch42er

Chaser42

Jun 11, 2015
Houston, TEXAS
So I have a question about the kernal patch. I was looking at the notes and it looks like it was made specifically for the kernal in build AVF5. However, I am running the latest update which is build AVG9. Is it normal for this to work? It has been about a day so far everything has been working properly. Maybe I was just lucky? :)

Ch42er

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
So I have a question about the kernal patch. I was looking at the notes and it looks like it was made specifically for the kernal in build AVF5. However, I am running the latest update which is build AVG9. Is it normal for this to work? It has been about a day so far everything has been working properly. Maybe I was just lucky? :)

Ch42er
If kernel is the same version 5.10.81 or 43 the old one it will work depending on what is yours

Chaser42

Jun 11, 2015
Houston, TEXAS
If kernel is the same version 5.10.81 or 43 the old one it will work depending on what is yours

So I either have the right kernel version or it only says that because I've got your patch applied...

Ch42er

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220906-173321_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20220906-173321_Settings.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 20

HARNATH

Jun 22, 2019
I've been doing XDA now for about 6 years. I have learned that when no one answers you that something doesn't work. My guess is TWRP doesn't back up and restore anything right now. So it would be pointless in some sense. TWRP is almost a thing of the past now. I don't own the S8 tab but I was thinking about getting it. If you have root, permissive kernel, and one UI you don't need anything else. I wouldn't flash AOSP and lose spen if it was available. TWRP doesn't work in almost all new devices so its not the dev's fault its androids for changing everything. Does it have A B slots?
What is the meaning of permissive kernel, can I change the gpu and cpu frequency or lock it after rooting with FKM on oneui 4.1.1 with stock kernel (no custom kernel) in tab s8+ at,east this will allow me to bypass the stupid throttling applied by samsung and gos?

HARNATH

Jun 22, 2019

---- Attachments ----

What custom kernel are you talking about?

Is it the stock kernel modified to be permissive or something else.
Can you change CPU and GPU frequency, with FKM after this as you are rooted with custom kernel?

I want to root my s8+ to lock cpu and gpu frequency, so that stupid samsung and gos do not randomly and uselessly throttle this device. How can I do that? Do I need to root necessarily or is there another option without root and custom kernel.

Thanks in advance.

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012

Can you change CPU and GPU frequency, with FKM after this as you are rooted with custom kernel?

I want to root my s8+ to lock cpu and gpu frequency, so that stupid samsung and gos do not randomly and uselessly throttle this device. How can I do that? Do I need to root necessarily or is there another option without root and custom kernel.

Thanks in advance.
Stock permissive and what you do with root is your concern.

ekin_strops

Apr 29, 2016
Munich
OnePlus 9 Pro

Thanks in advance.
You can't LOCK the GPU or CPU if the SOC if it's throttling. The cooling design in S8 lineup is actually non-existent, and the SOC temps hit 90C + very fast under high load (gaming, etc...) so the SOC will throttle, no matter what you do to prevent itself from damage (overheating).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try my build if touch working!

Sorry, I didn't realize you had a new build, I will test it as soon as I have a chance.

Ch42er

Ch42er

Ch42er

So I either have the right kernel version or it only says that because I've got your patch applied...

Ch42er
    home.png
    backupname.png

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
     * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or your getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Supported Models:
    Galaxy Tab S8 X906B, X906C, X906N, X900, X806B, X806C, X806N, X800

Download & Guide:
    1. Unlock your bootloader.
    2. Downloads for Tab S8: gts8u twrp, gts8p twrp , gts8 twrp and kernel
    3. Reboot to download mode
    4. Put the TWRP TAR for your device with Odin in the AP slot, vbmeta_disabled_R.tar in USERDATA slot and click start.
    5. Reboot to recovery via recovery key combo (Vol up + power + USB connected).
    6. Disable encryption:
    - Go to Advanced > Terminal, type: multidisabler.​
    If vendor complain about free space left on device, will attempt to resize vendor. and it ask to - Run multidisabler again!.​
    - Type: multidisabler again. will see - Finished. when done.​
    - Go back to Wipe > Format Data > type yes.​
    - Reboot to recovery.​
    7. Flash custom kernel and magisk apk in twrp.
    8. Reboot to system, Enjoy.

Support:
    Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.

Telegram group

Bugs:
    - Encryption not fully working.

TWRP team
    @ianmacd for multidisabler
    @Dan_FFM (David Dean) for helping with convert readonly f2fs vendor to readwrite
    Donators

Sources:
    Kernel tree
    Device tree: gts8u, gts8p
    Changelog:
    01.09.2022 - Fix touchscreen not working on regular TabS8 thanks to @liuyc
    - Exclude fonts data from backup
    25.06.2022 - Remove unused vm-bootsys mount point.
    - Add micro-sd support.
    - Add touch/keyboard firmware for TabS8 and TabS8+
    09.06.2022 - Initial Release.

---- Attachments ----

Note1: You need a custom permissive kernel to boot with R/W vendor.
    Note2: If you got bootloop on Samsung logo, reboot to TWRP and wipe metadata from Advanced Wipe section
    ***Moderator Announcement***
    Keep it civil, folks. While you're welcome to differ in opinion, you must treat one another with respect and civility. Flaming and disrespect will not be tolerated.