Development [RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP for Galaxy Tab S8 Series (Snapdragon)

Search This thread

Chaser42

Jun 11, 2015
Houston, TEXAS
If kernel is the same version 5.10.81 or 43 the old one it will work depending on what is yours

So I either have the right kernel version or it only says that because I've got your patch applied...

Ch42er

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220906-173321_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20220906-173321_Settings.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

HARNATH

Jun 22, 2019
Hello @afaneh92 . I happen to own a Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 (Model X700, CSC: CHN) device. And, I forked your GitHub repository, applied some tweaks to the touch screen parameters, and tested the tweaks on my device. I believe that I have fixed the touch screen problem, at least for my device. My device's TWRP is fully working now. I used its touch screen to run the multidisabler, to flash the custom kernel, and to flash Magisk without any problems. Thank you for your brilliant works! And, I am happy to share with you and the community both the source code and binaries. I will attach the GitHub link of my release below. (Attachment 1/2) I will also attach the same binary here for the communities' convenience. (Attachment 2/2)

---- Attachments ----
- Attachment 1/2: Release GitHub link
Link: https://github.com/liu-yucheng/TWRP-GalaxyTabS8/releases/tag/v3.6.2_12-2-3

- Attachment 2/2: Released TWRP binary
File name: twrp-3.6.2_12-2-3_afaneh92-gts8-yliu-patch.tar
File MD5: EC2D4D1E839C6EA1319C65E1CAD63546
What custom kernel are you talking about?

Is it the stock kernel modified to be permissive or something else.
Can you change CPU and GPU frequency, with FKM after this as you are rooted with custom kernel?

I want to root my s8+ to lock cpu and gpu frequency, so that stupid samsung and gos do not randomly and uselessly throttle this device. How can I do that? Do I need to root necessarily or is there another option without root and custom kernel.

Thanks in advance.

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012

Can you change CPU and GPU frequency, with FKM after this as you are rooted with custom kernel?

I want to root my s8+ to lock cpu and gpu frequency, so that stupid samsung and gos do not randomly and uselessly throttle this device. How can I do that? Do I need to root necessarily or is there another option without root and custom kernel.

Thanks in advance.
Stock permissive and what you do with root is your concern.

ekin_strops

Apr 29, 2016
Munich
OnePlus 9 Pro

Thanks in advance.
You can't LOCK the GPU or CPU if the SOC if it's throttling. The cooling design in S8 lineup is actually non-existent, and the SOC temps hit 90C + very fast under high load (gaming, etc...) so the SOC will throttle, no matter what you do to prevent itself from damage (overheating).

Reactions: sosimple

SAMS122

Jul 21, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
Just to make sure...
Will the latest TWRP build allow saving backups to an external SD card?

Also...
There is a Russian site which offers some kind of "lineageos"? versions for S8 Ultra.
Too good to be true? Any thoughts on this...
{Mod edit: Link removed}

Last edited by a moderator:

gts8er

Oct 16, 2022
Hello Afaneh92, loving the work.
In the original post you made with the instructions, the vbmeta image linked is for android 11. The Galaxy S8 wifi (gts8xxwifi) that I had purchased came with android 12.
My question is, would you happen to have a vbmeta_disabled_S.tar available?
Or perhaps you can point me in the right direction on how to create a disabled vbmeta image.

PS:
I do not have a windows machine.

Thank you for your time

ekin_strops

Apr 29, 2016
Munich
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hello Afaneh92, loving the work.
In the original post you made with the instructions, the vbmeta image linked is for android 11. The Galaxy S8 wifi (gts8xxwifi) that I had purchased came with android 12.
My question is, would you happen to have a vbmeta_disabled_S.tar available?
Or perhaps you can point me in the right direction on how to create a disabled vbmeta image.

PS:
I do not have a windows machine.

Thank you for your time
You can use the provided Vbmeta, it works fine.

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Just to make sure...
Will the latest TWRP build allow saving backups to an external SD card?

Also...
There is a Russian site which offers some kind of "lineageos"? versions for S8 Ultra.
Too good to be true? Any thoughts on this...
{Mod edit: Link removed}
@SAMS122 I've removed the link from your above post.

Reference: XDA Forum Rules (excerpt)
11. Don’t post with the intention of selling something.
  • Don’t use XDA to advertise your product or service. Proprietors of for-pay products or services, may use XDA to get feedback, provide beta access, or a free version of their product for XDA users and to offer support, but not to post with the intention of selling. This includes promoting sites similar / substantially similar to XDA-Developers.com.
  • Do not post press releases, announcements, links to trial software or commercial services, unless you’re posting an exclusive release for XDA-Developers.com.
  • Encouraging members to participate in forum activities on other phone related sites is prohibited.
  • Off-site downloads are permitted if the site is non-commercial and does not require registration.
  • Off-site downloads from sites requiring registration are NOT encouraged but may be permitted if both of the following conditions are met:
    A) The site belongs to a member of XDA-Developers with at least 1500 posts and 2 years membership, who actively maintains an XDA-Developers support thread(s) / posts, related to the download.
    B) The site is a relatively small, personal website without commercial advertising / links (i.e. not a competitor forum-based site with purposes and aims similar to those of XDA-Developers.com.)
Please refrain from sharing such links in future. Thanks for your cooperation.

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Heres a question everyone is there a place in the US where you can get the S8 plus tablet with 5G without a carrier?

Im not finding anything but sometimes you guys know people in Hong Kong that sells them to US.
Please refrain from attempts to highjack this development thread with posts not related to the development of THIS TWRP. I'm convinced you'll find suitable threads to discuss your generic topics unless you like to create an own one. Please contact me privately in case of further questions but do NOT reply to my post. Thanks for your cooperation.

I've removed all posts that were triggered by your post. Additionally, I'v subscribed to this thread.

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

Reactions: exocetdj

Techguy777

I ordered a S8 plus from Samsung it'll be here this week. I notice that the kernel is for the S22 I'm assuming it works for the tab S8 also

Do I have to be on a certain firmware with a certain security patch?

I have the Tab S6 and you cant flash last firmware's kernel on the new update if there is an update.

If I do need a certain firmware and security patch what one?

any help would be greatly apricated, I can't wait to get this rooted and setup thanks for making twrp and the kernel

afaneh92

You definitely do a lot of devices I cant image the amount of storage required. When I built android 9 for a few devices it took like a 100gb or something. Twrp was like 50 to 75 I believe I cant remember though.

Reactions: jhill110

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
I ordered a S8 plus from Samsung it'll be here this week. I notice that the kernel is for the S22 I'm assuming it works for the tab S8 also

I have the Tab S6 and you cant flash last firmware's kernel on the new update if there is an update.

any help would be greatly apricated, I can't wait to get this rooted and setup thanks for making twrp and the kernel

afaneh92

You definitely do a lot of devices I cant image the amount of storage required. When I built android 9 for a few devices it took like a 100gb or something. Twrp was like 50 to 75 I believe I cant remember though.
its ok, use latest kernel and twrp

Reactions: Techguy777

Techguy777

Kernel works perfectly and twrp seems to be working great to so again Thank You for your work.

Just a quick question have any of you been able to get viper4android to work on this device or any other one ui 4.1.1 that are new like this year?

Normally I can get viper working without a problem but it doesnt matter what I install jamesdsp 4.6 wont work either and normally you install them together.

If yes then how?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't know if I understand your directions.

Might need to reflash stock firmware to decrease vendor size if you are coming from twrp build 3 or older
    Flash this tool on fresh firmware before runnung multidisabler to resize vendor (Build 3 or older)
    then run multidisabler and format data
    reboot to recovery and flash the tool again to resize system
    on Build 4 (from androidfilehost) after running multidisabler, format reboot to twrp then flash zip

Heres what I think your saying
    I would need to flash stock firmware again
    before then flash twrp after setting up google acount
    flash rw zip
    then do
    - Go to Advanced > Terminal, type: multidisabler.
    If vendor complain about free space left on device, will attempt to resize vendor. and it ask to - Run multidisabler again!.
    - Type: multidisabler again. will see - Finished. when done.
    - Go back to Wipe > Format Data > type yes.
    - Reboot to recovery.
    7. Flash custom kernel and magisk apk in twrp.
    8. Reboot to system, Enjoy.

If thats right I dont understand why running multidisabler before flashing rw makes system to big and how it works if flashing before multidisabler makes system size doable.

Just a yes or no if im correct is all I need

Also after flashing twrp I turn off auto reboot and hold volume down and power, when screen goes black I switch to volume up. The instructions don't say to do that. Do you not have to anymore?

can I just hold power and volume up plugged in?

feel free to comment anyone any input is welcome
    As I said it need new twrp with size fix, just wait
    I got an error like the guy on telegram did.

How do I fix it? Wont it make it the same size again if I flash stock firmware?

You seem very knowledgeable when one ui 5.0 drops for WIFI is twrp, kernel, and root the same or do you have to update it?

I figure the vb meta file is the same

Thanks for the help
    Im working on new twrp build, will fix the size and make it work without custom kernel. Need some time for debugging.
    Thanks for that video now im all caught up. I didn't know you could do just the boot.img on samsung. Its nice to have a video to follow along with. I always ask and no one ever says anything. They act like same way its always been but then come to find out its not the same way. I still prefer TWRP, Kernel, and flash magisk. That way you have a recovery to stop boot loops.
    I agree it is a big mess when different information comes from different places. What's a poor boy supposed to do ?

Is it because different instructions are tied to the older Exynos chip . . . then the newest Snapdragon chip ( like in the ultra ) have a totally different way of doing things ? Does this mangle up @afaneh92 and his work ?

The twrp mothership keeps loudly beating the mantra, 'must disable dm-verity in the fstab' or you're guaranteed a boot looping brick... . . . . Huh ?

So Magisk ( thankfully ! ! ! ) gives us root. Magisk comes first and not last like the old way. Then we're still missing a step or two to make twrp happy ? ? ?

Like in the newer pixel phones, they have to 'fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img --disable-verity' to have custom kernels. What about recovery there ? The pixels have 'NO' recovery. Waa waa waa . . .

Update Saturday night:
    Received a 'data-only' sim from google fi. My hope was that the internal tablet radios would give me 5G speed data ! Nope. Got LTE 4G, band 41. Carried the plastic slab out to the quiet street and turned 'on' the cell tester app. It said I had -94 dbM of signal strength. That is not a great level and then also not a bad level.
    Thank you so very much for the recovery. I went 2 years without TWRP for my Tab S7 it's very good to have it for my new Tab S8 +.
    Thanks again.

afaneh92

home.png
    backupname.png

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
     * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or your getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Supported Models:
    Galaxy Tab S8 X906B, X906C, X906N, X900, X806B, X806C, X806N, X800

Download & Guide:
    1. Unlock your bootloader.
    2. Downloads for Tab S8: gts8u twrp, gts8p twrp , gts8 twrp and kernel
    3. Reboot to download mode
    4. Put the TWRP TAR for your device with Odin in the AP slot, vbmeta_disabled_R.tar in USERDATA slot and click start.
    5. Reboot to recovery via recovery key combo (Vol up + power + USB connected).
    6. Disable encryption:
    - Go to Advanced > Terminal, type: multidisabler.​
    If vendor complain about free space left on device, will attempt to resize vendor. and it ask to - Run multidisabler again!.​
    - Type: multidisabler again. will see - Finished. when done.​
    - Go back to Wipe > Format Data > type yes.​
    - Reboot to recovery.​
    7. Flash custom kernel and magisk apk in twrp.
    8. Reboot to system, Enjoy.

Support:
    Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.

Telegram group

Bugs:
    - Encryption not fully working.

TWRP team
    @ianmacd for multidisabler
    @Dan_FFM (David Dean) for helping with convert readonly f2fs vendor to readwrite
    Donators

Sources:
    Kernel tree
    Device tree: gts8u, gts8p
    Changelog:
    01.09.2022 - Fix touchscreen not working on regular TabS8 thanks to @liuyc
    - Exclude fonts data from backup
    25.06.2022 - Remove unused vm-bootsys mount point.
    - Add micro-sd support.
    - Add touch/keyboard firmware for TabS8 and TabS8+
    09.06.2022 - Initial Release.
    Note1: You need a custom permissive kernel to boot with R/W vendor.
    Note2: If you got bootloop on Samsung logo, reboot to TWRP and wipe metadata from Advanced Wipe section
    Hello @afaneh92 . I happen to own a Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 (Model X700, CSC: CHN) device. And, I forked your GitHub repository, applied some tweaks to the touch screen parameters, and tested the tweaks on my device. I believe that I have fixed the touch screen problem, at least for my device. My device's TWRP is fully working now. I used its touch screen to run the multidisabler, to flash the custom kernel, and to flash Magisk without any problems. Thank you for your brilliant works! And, I am happy to share with you and the community both the source code and binaries. I will attach the GitHub link of my release below. (Attachment 1/2) I will also attach the same binary here for the communities' convenience. (Attachment 2/2)

---- Attachments ----
    - Attachment 1/2: Release GitHub link
    Link: https://github.com/liu-yucheng/TWRP-GalaxyTabS8/releases/tag/v3.6.2_12-2-3

- Attachment 2/2: Released TWRP binary
    File name: twrp-3.6.2_12-2-3_afaneh92-gts8-yliu-patch.tar
    File MD5: EC2D4D1E839C6EA1319C65E1CAD63546
    ***Moderator Announcement***
    Keep it civil, folks. While you're welcome to differ in opinion, you must treat one another with respect and civility. Flaming and disrespect will not be tolerated.