[RECOVERY] [UNOFFICIAL] TWRP - Shield Android TV 2017 & 2015 - All Models

Search This thread

AndroidUser00110001

Aug 16, 2011
NYC
Flash at your own risk!
Not responsible for any damage you may do by attempting to modify stock software!

Recovery will work on all Shield 16GB 2015, Shield Pro 2015 & Shield 2017 16GB. All models...

You need ADB and FASTBOOT to get this installed.
You can follow this guide HERE or HERE

See attachments below for download.
Update 02/01/17
Added proper device info for 2017 Shield 16GB to allow OTA updates. Should work but not 100% sure if it will.

Extract img file from within zip folder
Reboot to bootloader

Use one of the two following commands
To flash recovery
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

To boot into recovery without flashing
fastboot boot recovery.img

---
Thanks to TWRP for making the sources available and to @Steel01 for his work on TWRP for original shield which this was ported from.

Attachments

• UNOFFICIAL-twrp-3.0.2-ALL-Shields-build2.zip
    14.7 MB · Views: 9,768
Last edited:

Slayerkodi

Apr 6, 2016
My laptops broke so won't be doing this anytime soon, will see if there is a way to flash twrp to recovery without a PC because as far I know android to android adb or fastboot does not work

jonasgrosch

Dec 30, 2011
other people in the Q&A thread are saying it works fine. try another 1080p tv/monitor and make sure your using 5.0.1 non developer image on your 2017 shield

tried with another screen. nothing changed. still not working

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

tried with another screen. nothing changed. still not working

nevermind. got it working by disconnecting usb connection to my pc right after executing the boot command.

AndroidUser00110001

Aug 16, 2011
NYC
Are all the partitions showing up in TWRP that should be? I never put TWRP on my 2015 Shield Pro so not sure what should be showing up.

On my 2017 I can only write to the TWRP folder using the USB cable connected to my PC. I tried to put in a USB stick but TWRP did not recognize it nor does it recognize External Storage.

I have USB hard drive formatted for internal storage so not sure if that is why I don't see any partitions in TWRP and can only write to the TWRP folder.

I am about to build TWRP from source and was just wondering what partitions shows up from more experienced users so I can adjust the TWRP settings so more partitions show up if that is the cause....

brandonb21

Jan 16, 2017
Are all the partitions showing up in TWRP that should be? I never put TWRP on my 2015 Shield Pro so not sure what should be showing up.

On my 2017 I can only write to the TWRP folder using the USB cable connected to my PC. I tried to put in a USB stick but TWRP did not recognize it nor does it recognize External Storage.

I have USB hard drive formatted for internal storage so not sure if that is why I don't see any partitions in TWRP and can only write to the TWRP folder.

I am about to build TWRP from source and was just wondering what partitions shows up from more experienced users so I can adjust the TWRP settings so more partitions show up if that is the cause....

I just got an email from nvidia and they processed my rma and now waiting for a tracking number i doubt il see mine till next week or i would help you out.

brandonb21

Jan 16, 2017
I was able to unlock the bootloader, enable USB debugging.

I tried flashing the TWRP image, however attempting to boot into recovery gives the sad little android man with the red exclamation (NO COMMAND)

If I attempt to just boot the image I see the TWRP splash screen, then a few seconds later the system reboots.

try disconnecting the usb cable going from your pc to your android box right after hitting enter after typing "fastboot boot twrp.img"

seems to be a bug. make sure it downloads the image all the way before disconnecting.

brandonb21

Jan 16, 2017
Yep that seemed to do it. I flashed TWRP already, just when I typed adb reboot recovery, you just have to disconnect the USB. Then it booted into TWRP just fine.

Stupid question, but is it best practice to just install the dev image + SuperSU at this point. It's what I'm currently running, but didn't know if it was just better to run stock image + SuperSU. (or maybe dev is needed for root)

use the retail one, the dev image can run beta drivers such as graphic drivers that may or may not cause issues at some point. and the developer image dosent get ota updates.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Flash at your own risk!
    Not responsible for any damage you may do by attempting to modify stock software!

Recovery will work on all Shield 16GB 2015, Shield Pro 2015 & Shield 2017 16GB. All models...

You need ADB and FASTBOOT to get this installed.
    You can follow this guide HERE or HERE

See attachments below for download.
    Update 02/01/17
    Added proper device info for 2017 Shield 16GB to allow OTA updates. Should work but not 100% sure if it will.

Extract img file from within zip folder
    Reboot to bootloader

Use one of the two following commands
    To flash recovery
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

To boot into recovery without flashing
    fastboot boot recovery.img

---
    Thanks to TWRP for making the sources available and to @Steel01 for his work on TWRP for original shield which this was ported from.
    4K Test

Anyone with 4K monitor want to test this to see if TWRP is displayed?
    The UI will be off...just wondering if anything will be displayed now. If so then I can fix up the UI layout.
    I was able to unlock the bootloader, enable USB debugging.

I tried flashing the TWRP image, however attempting to boot into recovery gives the sad little android man with the red exclamation (NO COMMAND)

If I attempt to just boot the image I see the TWRP splash screen, then a few seconds later the system reboots.

try disconnecting the usb cable going from your pc to your android box right after hitting enter after typing "fastboot boot twrp.img"

seems to be a bug. make sure it downloads the image all the way before disconnecting.
    Posted a new build which should allow TWRP to handle OTA updates for 2017 Shield 16GB models.
    If someone can post the build.prop file for 2017 Shield Pro then I should be able to add that to the list too for OTA updates
    Is there an official release for Darcy (2017) ? I only see a release for Foster (2015)
    https://twrp.me/nvidia/nvidiahshieldandroidtv.html

Zulu99 (left xda) points at this thread as the only recovery for both 2015 and 2017... but this bricked two devices for me.

Foster and darcy are unified in everything I release. The official twrp recovery and Lineage releases both support several models. Namely here: foster_e (2015 emmc), foster_e_hdd (sata/pro), and darcy (2017 emmc). In theory the china version will boot too.

And it should be pretty hard to brick an nvidia device. Now, foster did have some *really* bad bugs earlier in relation to flashing and bootloader stuff. But I haven't seen those lately. Should always be able to use the controller to get to the bootloader and flash a new recovery and all. If something doesn't work right, report it in the appropriate thread.