General [RECOVERY] [WIP] TWRP 12.1 for Galaxy A53 5G

Search This thread

aximut

May 15, 2022

TWRP 12.1 for Galaxy A53 5G​

Info​

NOTE THAT THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS. IT IS NEITHER BUILDING NOR RUNNING AT THE MOMENT.
Also note that I never ported a TWRP device tree for any other device before.

I started working on a TWRP build for the Galaxy A53 5G. More specifically, I started extracting the device tree with the twrpgen tool using the original stock recovery.img.
Then, I adapted the output to match the new "twrp" style syntax, as the twrpgen tool still produces the old "omni" files.
My hope was to get at least the build process running inside GitHub actions, such that we have a CI pipeline running for this where everybody can easily contribute and improve.
While the build actions sometimes seem to succeed, the out/target/product/a53x/ folder contains neither a .img, nor a .zip file, which I could upload to the phone.

Even though this is not building at the moment, it might be some time saver for somebody who has worked with TWRP builds before and we might quickly get this running.

Feel free to contribute to this repository or fork it.

Development​

Device Tree Source: https://github.com/aximut/android_device_samsung_a53x-TWRP

vpn560

Oct 14, 2007
No, is there a lot of special things to consider? Do you think it might be easier to build it with twrp 11?
I thought since it is now the default branch (12.1), it should be the one to use.
1. Yes, especially concerning environment for builds and also the difference between 11/12 FBE Data encryption etc; 2. No, that URL was about 12.1, but to read You must register and log in. Than You will see a desperate battle and necessary things to keep in mind. There You will find the results for TWRP 12.1 for some Google Pixel's.

Also, in other thread of XDA I've seen LOS 19.1 and TWRP 12.1 ready to use for one of Samsung Galaxy (S8 ?), but seems it includes some proprietary Samsung SW. May be You can ask there for details ? The Developer, Ivan Meler, is friendly and communicative.
That's all I know 🤥🙂
Now using gts4lvwifi (18.1 and sometimes 19.1 by LuK1337)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bucika and lycnt

Bucika

Aug 4, 2010
Sydney
1. Yes, especially concerning environment for builds and also the difference between 11/12 FBE Data encryption etc; 2. No, that URL was about 12.1, but to read You must register and log in. Than You will see a desperate battle and necessary things to keep in mind. There You will find the results for TWRP 12.1 for some Google Pixel's.

Also, in other thread of XDA I've seen LOS 19.1 and TWRP 12.1 ready to use for one of Samsung Galaxy (S8 ?), but seems it includes some proprietary Samsung SW. May be You can ask there for details ? The Developer, Ivan Meler, is friendly and communicative.
That's all I know 🤥🙂
Are you actually using a custom rom on a53 5g? What dosent work?

Bucika

Aug 4, 2010
Sydney
I've literally just now got the phone - like after I saw there can be custom rom installed on it. Any guides ? I want to play around a bit. :) PE was always my go to.. I assume that fingerprint / face unlock doesn't work on any GSI rom?

aximut

May 15, 2022

I've literally just now got the phone - like after I saw there can be custom rom installed on it. Any guides ? I want to play around a bit. :) PE was always my go to.. I assume that fingerprint / face unlock doesn't work on any GSI rom?

I am using GSI LineageOS 19.1 on it. Works almost perfectly. Fingerprint works.
Camera works with OpenCamera (also switching between the different front-facing cameras), but Gcam doesn't work as described by others already.

Reactions: Bucika

Bucika

Aug 4, 2010
Sydney
Camera works with OpenCamera (also switching between the different front-facing cameras), but Gcam doesn't work as described by others already.
Awesome. I have a problem patching the recovery file.. can you help?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

TWRP 12.1 for Galaxy A53 5G​

Info​

NOTE THAT THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS. IT IS NEITHER BUILDING NOR RUNNING AT THE MOMENT.
    Also note that I never ported a TWRP device tree for any other device before.

I started working on a TWRP build for the Galaxy A53 5G. More specifically, I started extracting the device tree with the twrpgen tool using the original stock recovery.img.
    Then, I adapted the output to match the new "twrp" style syntax, as the twrpgen tool still produces the old "omni" files.
    My hope was to get at least the build process running inside GitHub actions, such that we have a CI pipeline running for this where everybody can easily contribute and improve.
    While the build actions sometimes seem to succeed, the out/target/product/a53x/ folder contains neither a .img, nor a .zip file, which I could upload to the phone.

Even though this is not building at the moment, it might be some time saver for somebody who has worked with TWRP builds before and we might quickly get this running.

Feel free to contribute to this repository or fork it.

Development​

Device Tree Source: https://github.com/aximut/android_device_samsung_a53x-TWRP
    No, is there a lot of special things to consider? Do you think it might be easier to build it with twrp 11?
    I thought since it is now the default branch (12.1), it should be the one to use.

That's all I know 🤥🙂

I assume I need to patch the recovery file in order to get to fastbootd and instal GSI image?
    Ah, I downloaded the fastboot image from some website, I didn't patch that myself. Just don't remember the link now as I had to try several.