Red Magic 5G Bootloader Unlock Guide: OR get ROOT & TWRP without unlocking the BL!!!

Search This thread

mslezak

Dec 12, 2016
Houston
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S23
Red Magic 5G Bootloader Unlock Guide: OR get ROOT & TWRP without unlocking the BL!!!

***Bootloader Unlock Instructions for the Nubia Redmagic 5G + installing TWRP:***

WARNING: ANY BOOTLOADER UNLOCK METHOD INVOLVES THE RISK OF BRICKING YOUR DEVICE PERMANENTLY. WHILE THERE IS USUALLY A WAY TO RECOVER, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS PROCEDURE IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. BAD THINGS CAN HAPPEN. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! YOU MAY BE LEFT WITH A USELESS BRICK!!! READ ALL FURTHER WARNINGS EXPERIMENTAL METHOD IN ORIGINAL DOWNLOAD FILE WORKS, I'M USING IT :)

If you want a NOOB guide look at this post: https://xdaforums.com/nubia-red-magic-5g/how-to/beginner-tutorial-unlock-bootloader-t4131585/
Also note a user has managed to fix the FP sensor post BL unlock, see this post here: https://xdaforums.com/nubia-red-magic-5g/how-to/guide-calibration-finger-print-loss-t4132961
Still, I suggest root bypass it's better.

MegaNZ Link for Root without unlocking the Bootloader, and without breaking the FP, also includes instructions for installing BlackMagic5G (explanation below), adding HD VOLTE, how to restore from a brick, and some other cool tricks: https://mega.nz/file/igphSCTD#OybJo9t1zwvJ0bdbAcN2BCqxWXAfHdhk3JFB4_5xkVc

I suggest you flash my BlackMagic5G and don't unlock your bootloader at all - just root. It's CN 2.52 ROM based. You'll get VOLTE, , GApps installed, Rooted with Magisk, TWRP, debloated, YouTube Vanced, AdAway, SmartPack Kernel Manager, etc. - looks like the Global / NA variant of the ROM. Almost perfect except still uses Messages and Phone from Nubia. Plus you will enable Face Unlock not available in the Global or NA versions of the ROM, and FP will still work! Click on the Google Search bar widget and the mic icon takes you to the Google Assistant, the left icon is Google Feed, type in the middle bar for a Google Search. Has 1Weather Free weather widget that looks great, and Google Calendar widget for your whole month of activities. Translate, Lens, Chrome, all the Google Apps are there. And the Chinese Nubia apps are nearly all GONE!

MegaNZ Link for BlackMagic5G Beta - IT'S ONLY THE DATA PARTITION + ROOTED KERNEL + NA SPLASH SCREEN, you NEED to 1) install the Red Magic 2.52 ROM below FIRST 2) Root using the first link posted above 3) Flash restore this from TWRP: https://mega.nz/file/r9hF2BwS#RrAXiFWSBNX8dLqfrH8nNHo_uigPC8uYXonwhALhGbo

MegaNZ Link for the Red Magic 5G CN 2.52 ROM: https://mega.nz/file/aoxBFAqY#EDt2OZBGTME4ZGKnERKpK_t-aJT_rWgD0aqBFkilRcY

*** NOW THE BOOTLOADER UNLOCK INSTRUCTIONS ***

Go to Settings / About phone / Build Number (NX659_J_ENCommon_V3.08 on North American Variant), click 7 times, Now you are a developer message appears, go back a menu to Settings / Other system settings / Developer options.

Enable:
OEM unlocking "Allow the bootloader to be unlocked"
USB debugging "Debug mode when USB is connected"

Install Minimal ADB and Fastboot (Windows 10 in this example): https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=746010030569952951
Default install path is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot\

Go to the Search button on the bottom on Windows 10, type cmd, Command Prompt will appear in the menu. Right click it and Run as Administrator. All commands to be typed will be run in this Command Prompt window (referred to as terminal) unless otherwise stated to run on the phone.

Now Terminal window appears (it says Administrator: Command Prompt in the heading):
Text displayed is:

Microsoft Windows
(c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Typed in terminal:
cd "c:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot"

I now connected the phone to a USB port on the PC.
On the phone, a Window appeared:

"Allow USB debugging?"
The computer's RSA key fingerprint is:
[36 digit code] Example:
C8:A1:D7:E2:01:F6:A1
:36:D8:10:E8:33:20:FB:
93:7D

Always allow from this computer (it's my computer so I clicked it since I trust the computer)
CANCEL / ALLOW (I clicked ALLOW)

Typed in terminal:
adb reboot bootloader

The phone reboots. Once the phone screen boots, in the center it says: Now you are in fastboot mode.

From the terminal I typed:
fastboot oem nubia_unlock NUBIA_NX659J

The terminal now displayed:
(bootloader) START update nubia fastboot unlock flag!!!
(bootloader) START set state to 1 ok!!!

In the terminal I typed:
fastboot flashing unlock *** DO NOT TYPE THIS IF YOU WANT TO KEEP A WORKING FP!!! READ TOP OF POST!!! AVOID THIS WITH THE EXPERIMENTAL METHOD OF ROOT WITH NO BL UNLOCK ***

Now a screen appeared on the phone with a big <!> red icon in the left corner. The rest in white text is a warning message. "By unlocking the bootloader, you will be able to install custom operating system on this phone. A custom OS is not subject to the same level of testing as the original OS, and can cause your phone and installed applications to stop working properly-
Software integrity cannot be guaranteed with a custom OS, so any data stored on the phone while the bootloader is unlocked may be at risk.
To prevent unauthorized access to your personal data, unlocking the bootloader will also delete all personal data on your phone.
Press the Volume keys to select whether to unlock the bootloader, then the Power Button to continue."

I selected UNLOCK BOOTLOADER and my device was completely erased. The factory OS loaded then. This process takes some time to complete.

Now the device rebooted with a warning message, and a big <!> yellow icon in the left corner.

"The boot loader is unlocked and software integrity cannot be guaranteed. Any data stored on the device may be available to attackers. Do not store any sensitive data on the device.

Visit this link on another device:
g.co/ABH"

Now the device reloads the firmware apparently and wipes all user data. Upon setting up the phone, the fingerprint display registration comes up and asked to place my finger on the back of the phone. There is no fingerprint sensor on the back of the Redmagic 5G! It is under the screen! So this step must be skipped. The ROM setup is corrupt or incomplete, a beta possibly. I setup the phone then went into Settings / Security to try to add a fingerprint. The button to add fingerprint then appears. Once I click the button, I get this error:

Loss of fingerprint calibration data

Loss of fingerprint calibration data was detected.
Currently unable to complete fingerprint entry,
please contact Nuia after-sales service via

See the XDA post for recalibrating the FP: https://xdaforums.com/nubia-red-magic-5g/how-to/guide-calibration-finger-print-loss-t4132961

ROOT FOR ALL DEVICES:
(These files are included in the tools download zip, Magisk 20.4 and MagiskManager-v7.5.1.apk, but this is the official source as updates post): Go to XDA and Download Magisk Manager and install the APK. Download the latest Magisk as well from the Manager. You can then reboot to Recovery (volume up + power, release the power button once the screen shows it loading, hold the volume up down until you see TWRP pop up). Flash Magisk from TWRP Install / Zip / sdcard / Magisk.zip reboot and you'll have root.

BL unlock first method was tested on North American variant and it works. But it breaks your FP sensor and gives you an annoying boot prompt.

If at any time you want to remove the OEM Bootloader unlock, you plug into the PC, go to the terminal for Minimal ADB and Fastboot, type:

adb reboot fastboot
fastboot flashing lock (screen will prompt to relock BL, choose to Relock)
The phone should reboot and install the original software. BUT...
If it says you are corrupted well, you have more issues.

You'll have to reflash the stock recovery.img, reboot to stock recovery, wipe data, wipe cache, and flash the CN update.zip rom to a flash drive FORMATTED TO FAT32 (annoying as hell) But you NEED a USB-C to OTG Adapter to attach a Flash Drive / SDCARD this way). If you don't have one, you better reflash TWRP using the prior instructions and flash the update.zip from there. Install, select the update.zip, flash. Wipe Data, Cache, ART/Dalvik. Reboot.

Now it should WIPE the entire phone and be back to normal Android 10 setup non rooted, no unlocked bootloader. Always beware of data loss doing root functions!!! Always be prepared to setup your phone entirely over again. Google Backup is very good to turn on before you do any of this stuff if you have already installed apps.

*** WARNING - THIS BYPASS METHOD COULD GO AWAY AT ANYTIME. IT SHOULD EVENTUALLY BE FIXED BY NUBIA ***

Last edited:

VZTech

Dec 31, 2019
{Mod edit}

***Bootloader Unlock Instructions for the Nubia Redmagic 5G + installing TWRP:***

Settings / About phone / Build # click 7 times, now your a dev message appears, good back a menu, go to Additional Settings / Developer Options

Enable:
ADB debugging, + OEM unlock
Connect phone to PC, approve device on phone RSA key for USB debugging

From Minimal ADB and Fastboot:
adb reboot bootlader
fastboot flashing unlock
(approve on phone with volume keys to unlock and hit the power button, now you'll get an annoyng mesage on boot as insecure unlocked BL) *ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE WIPED*

Next:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-TWRP-3.4.1B-0324-NUBIA_REDMAGIC_5G-CN-wzsx150.img

fastboot reboot recovery
Enter TWRP, set to not be removed by updates if prompted.

Boot up the device, setup as a new device. You're on stock ROM / kernel now unlocked.

Once you get up and running you'll want APK Mirror app to install stuff on the China Variant it's in the Nubia Playstore. Gboard download as well and set as default it's a lot easier than the Chinese keyboard that swaps between Chinese and English. Set size extra tall for this huge phone (I prefer anyhow). Chrome go download it from APK Mirror app as well. Then go to XDA and Download Magisk Manager and download it and install the APK. Download the latest Magisk as well from the Manager. You can then reboot to Recovery (volume up + power). Flash Magisk from TWRP reboot and you'll have root.

Note on my testing the fingerprint did not work after unlocking the bootloader. It says to contact Nubia support at some odd number. Hopefully they fix this.

You were able to actually install TWRP? Not just boot it? I thought A10 devices cant have twrp permanently installed?

Last edited by a moderator:

mslezak

Dec 12, 2016
Houston
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S23
That is a very good question my friend. I had to reflash it several times while rooting so it appears you are correct.

Now a window when I FIRST installed popped up and said make Recovery read only so a system update. can't overwrite it, to this I didn't even pay attention. So assuming that question does lock down recovery, it should stick.

VZTech

Dec 31, 2019
That is a very good question my friend. I had to reflash it several times while rooting so it appears you are correct.

Now a window when I FIRST installed popped up and said make Recovery read only so a system update. can't overwrite it, to this I didn't even pay attention. So assuming that question does lock down recovery, it should stick.

So its not permanent? Thats what I thought.

mslezak

Dec 12, 2016
Houston
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S23
Well it could be permanent...

So its not permanent? Thats what I thought.

What I was trying to say is that I've never had a phone where I had to select "prevent recovery from being overwritten" so I just clicked off the message. Had I selected "keep TWRP from being overwritten" then possibly it sticks. It's just a matter of making the recovery partition READ ONLY.

VZTech

Dec 31, 2019
What I was trying to say is that I've never had a phone where I had to select "prevent recovery from being overwritten" so I just clicked off the message. Had I selected "keep TWRP from being overwritten" then possibly it sticks. It's just a matter of making the recovery partition READ ONLY.
The issue with that could be any future updates though. Rm uses there own recovery for that. They don't provide fastboot images either I believe

apersomany

Apr 18, 2019
Can anyone send me backup of the super partition?

I accidentally flashed an image to the super partition with twrp thinking it was the system partition (it technically is tho) and it bricked my phone and messed up twrp.
Only stock recovery works but the stock recovery cannot fix it by installing a full ota from a otg drive.
I do have a backup on my phone but it is inaccessable.
Could anyone please send me a backup of the super partition or have any idea on how to fix this?
(I tried to use edl and backup my data to recover my backup of the super partition but it seemed like it needed a programmer binary from qualcomm)

mslezak

Dec 12, 2016
Houston
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S23
Future updates...

The issue with that could be any future updates though. Rm uses there own recovery for that. They don't provide fastboot images either I believe

Yes what I've been told by prior Redmagic Users 3 and 3S is the ROM is released, as long as your boot.img is not patched with Magisk, it can be installed through the menus in Settings / About Phone / Update or someplace like that. You just download the ROM to the appropriate folder on the phone.

So far I have 1 link to a China ROM update here: https://ui.nubia.cn/rom/detail/65

Now on how to install the ROM, I use the Chrome browser set to autotranslate webpages. Most of the Chinese will be translated from here: https://bbs.nubia.com//thread-1136030-1-1.html
Basically it's going to wipe your device clean, and you can use a Nubia backup tool which will save all your items to a folder. Which then you should copy to your PC before installing the new ROM. Then it gives you instructions to get that data back onto your updated device.

Last edited:

VZTech

Dec 31, 2019
I accidentally flashed an image to the super partition with twrp thinking it was the system partition (it technically is tho) and it bricked my phone and messed up twrp.
Only stock recovery works but the stock recovery cannot fix it by installing a full ota from a otg drive.
Could anyone please send me a backup of the super partition or have any idea on how to fix this?
(I tried to use edl and backup my data to recover my backup of the super partition but it seemed like it needed a programmer binary from qualcomm)

Your probably screwed. I had this issue on a rm3s. You will need an unbrick tool. It was released for the rm3s about 4 mos after release. NUBIA should have true fastboot images available for download, but they dont.

mslezak

Dec 12, 2016
Houston
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S23
Your probably screwed. I had this issue on a rm3s. You will need an unbrick tool. It was released for the rm3s about 4 mos after release. NUBIA should have true fastboot images available for download, but they dont.

That's because of the super (dynamic) partition, see from the latest (and only) ROM:

Excerpt of the ROM installation script where it delineates the dynamic vs non dynamic partitions - you have product w/ a file transfer list, then vendor, system, and odm, The other files (boot.img, dtbo.img, splash.img, etc. and other various files) should be flashable with fastboot.

# Update dynamic partition metadata
assert(update_dynamic_partitions(package_extract_file("dynamic_partitions_op_list")));
unmap_partition("product");
block_image_update(map_partition("product"), package_extract_file("product.transfer.list"), "product.new.dat.br", "product.patch.dat");
unmap_partition("vendor");
block_image_update(map_partition("vendor"), package_extract_file("vendor.transfer.list"), "vendor.new.dat.br", "vendor.patch.dat");
unmap_partition("system");
block_image_update(map_partition("system"), package_extract_file("system.transfer.list"), "system.new.dat.br", "system.patch.dat");
unmap_partition("odm");
block_image_update(map_partition("odm"), package_extract_file("odm.transfer.list"), "odm.new.dat.br", "odm.patch.dat");
# --- End patching dynamic partitions ---

mslezak

Dec 12, 2016
Houston
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S23

You should be able to flash the latest ROM via EDL mode if you've ever used EDL mode before, it usually requires shorting pins together in the device, although some recoveries will let you just boot into EDL mode if the phone still boots. It will be detected. Although on this device with the dynamic partition, I don't know how you would flash these in EDL mode... dynamic partitions - you have product w/ a file transfer list, then vendor, system, and odm that do not look like fastboot flashable parts. Possibly the unbrick tool for Redmagic 3/3S could be modified to do this for you.

VZTech

Dec 31, 2019
That's because of the super (dynamic) partition, see from the latest (and only) ROM:

Excerpt of the ROM installation script where it delineates the dynamic vs non dynamic partitions - you have product w/ a file transfer list, then vendor, system, and odm, The other files (boot.img, dtbo.img, splash.img, etc. and other various files) should be flashable with fastboot.

# Update dynamic partition metadata
assert(update_dynamic_partitions(package_extract_file("dynamic_partitions_op_list")));
unmap_partition("product");
block_image_update(map_partition("product"), package_extract_file("product.transfer.list"), "product.new.dat.br", "product.patch.dat");
unmap_partition("vendor");
block_image_update(map_partition("vendor"), package_extract_file("vendor.transfer.list"), "vendor.new.dat.br", "vendor.patch.dat");
unmap_partition("system");
block_image_update(map_partition("system"), package_extract_file("system.transfer.list"), "system.new.dat.br", "system.patch.dat");
unmap_partition("odm");
block_image_update(map_partition("odm"), package_extract_file("odm.transfer.list"), "odm.new.dat.br", "odm.patch.dat");
# --- End patching dynamic partitions ---

Yes those .img files can easily be fastboot flashed. Unfortunately it wont solve his problem. He needs the nubia unbrick tool, which is tough to get. I dont understand why Nubia makes things difficult. They should provide proper Fastboot files.

apersomany

Apr 18, 2019
I already tried edl (not to flash, but to recover my backup of the super partition) but it seems like it needed a firehose binary. I still can use bootloader, fastbootd, recovery. It's just that the recovery fails at assert dynamic partition update thing with a error 7 (probably because my super partition turned into a normal partiton). I tried to flash a super empty image made with lpmake and try flashing the ota but that didn't work. I think if someone gives me a backup of the super partition I could flash that and that could work. I also had an idea of flashing a super partition of another devices factory image to make my super partition a dynamic partition, but I couldn't find any online.

mslezak

Dec 12, 2016
Houston
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S23
I already tried edl (not to flash, but to recover my backup of the super partition) but it seems like it needed a firehose binary. I still can use bootloader, fastbootd, recovery. It's just that the recovery fails at assert dynamic partition update thing with a error 7 (probably because my super partition turned into a normal partiton). I tried to flash a super empty image made with lpmake and try flashing the ota but that didn't work. I think if someone gives me a backup of the super partition I could flash that and that could work. I also had an idea of flashing a super partition of another devices factory image to make my super partition a dynamic partition, but I couldn't find any online.

I get a Global Device on Monday. I'll try to use Qualcomm tools to make a brick restore image of Global. If I get one made I'll post all the tools to restore the device on Mega.nz. Because of the super partition it has to be done this way. Not via TWRP as you know. I'm working on Dev tools for this device as fast as possible.

apersomany

Apr 18, 2019
I get a Global Device on Monday. I'll try to use Qualcomm tools to make a brick restore image of Global. If I get one made I'll post all the tools to restore the device on Mega.nz. Because of the super partition it has to be done this way. Not via TWRP as you know. I'm working on Dev tools for this device as fast as possible.

Thank you so much! :D

mslezak

Dec 12, 2016
Houston
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S23
To relock BL repeat the instructions with 1 different command

Just replace
fastboot flashing unlock
with
fastboot flashing lock

Again you approve to lock on the phone prompt with the volume keys and your phone will be wiped and all will be back to normal, you'll be locked. And back to phone setup.

I'd edit the original post but the moderators took away my rights!!! Because I posted a Telegram link WHY - how do you expect development to get better???

BTW anyone with a NEW phone arriving that can record the FP failures and all errors please contact me so I can send to Nubia. They are waiting for me to reproduce the error but I already setup my new phone... Thinking I wouldn't be the ONLY ONE to contact support@nubia.gg ... Guys you want developer support on this phone or not. Contribute please.

{Mod edit}

Settings / About phone / Build # click 7 times, now your a dev message appears, good back a menu, go to Additional Settings / Developer Options

Enable:
ADB debugging, + OEM unlock
Connect phone to PC, approve device on phone RSA key for USB debugging

From Minimal ADB and Fastboot:
adb reboot bootlader
fastboot flashing unlock
(approve on phone with volume keys to unlock and hit the power button, now you'll get an annoyng mesage on boot as insecure unlocked BL) *ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE WIPED*

Next:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-TWRP-3.4.1B-0324-NUBIA_REDMAGIC_5G-CN-wzsx150.img

fastboot reboot recovery
Enter TWRP, set to not be removed by updates if prompted.

Boot up the device, setup as a new device. You're on stock ROM / kernel now unlocked.

Once you get up and running you'll want APK Mirror app to install stuff on the China Variant it's in the Nubia Playstore. Gboard download as well and set as default it's a lot easier than the Chinese keyboard that swaps between Chinese and English. Set size extra tall for this huge phone (I prefer anyhow). Chrome go download it from APK Mirror app as well. Then go to XDA and Download Magisk Manager and download it and install the APK. Download the latest Magisk as well from the Manager. You can then reboot to Recovery (volume up + power). Flash Magisk from TWRP reboot and you'll have root.

Note on my testing the fingerprint did not work after unlocking the bootloader. It says to contact Nubia support at some odd number. Hopefully they fix this.

Reactions: WiFlex and gokhujee

WiFlex

Apr 28, 2020
Just in case if somebody need a Chinese version of official ROM v2.46 for RedMagic 5G.

Code:
https://mega.nz/file/vc0DiabR#npahTop-JXZ9Mwv-lA7G6DxTG2qqOOAf6AwW8NdEEKw

Last edited:
Reactions: josehdx

nadejo

Jun 28, 2010
Asus ROG Phone 6 / 6 Pro
Just replace
fastboot flashing unlock
with
fastboot flashing lock

Again you approve to lock on the phone prompt with the volume keys and your phone will be wiped and all will be back to normal, you'll be locked. And back to phone setup.

I'd edit the original post but the moderators took away my rights!!! Because I posted a Telegram link WHY - how do you expect development to get better???

BTW anyone with a NEW phone arriving that can record the FP failures and all errors please contact me so I can send to Nubia. They are waiting for me to reproduce the error but I already setup my new phone... Thinking I wouldn't be the ONLY ONE to contact support@nubia.gg ... Guys you want developer support on this phone or not. Contribute please.

we found out that using the cn rom it all works without even unlocking the bootloader, even while oem unlock was disabled in dev options but there is some kind of vbmeta img required. a full guide is incoming.

mslezak

Dec 12, 2016
Houston
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S23

You can flash their NX659J-update.zip files directly from TWRP that's how we restored our bricked devices already. So OTA updates no, but you can download them anyway and flash from TWRP directly. Yes we have to figure out a concrete restore method which isn't 100% working yet. I.e. all your data is lost this way apparently AT THIS MOMENT... MORE TO COME.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

WARNING: ANY BOOTLOADER UNLOCK METHOD INVOLVES THE RISK OF BRICKING YOUR DEVICE PERMANENTLY. WHILE THERE IS USUALLY A WAY TO RECOVER, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS PROCEDURE IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. BAD THINGS CAN HAPPEN. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! YOU MAY BE LEFT WITH A USELESS BRICK!!! READ ALL FURTHER WARNINGS EXPERIMENTAL METHOD IN ORIGINAL DOWNLOAD FILE WORKS, I'M USING IT :)

If you want a NOOB guide look at this post: https://xdaforums.com/nubia-red-magic-5g/how-to/beginner-tutorial-unlock-bootloader-t4131585/
    Also note a user has managed to fix the FP sensor post BL unlock, see this post here: https://xdaforums.com/nubia-red-magic-5g/how-to/guide-calibration-finger-print-loss-t4132961
    Still, I suggest root bypass it's better.

MegaNZ Link for Root without unlocking the Bootloader, and without breaking the FP, also includes instructions for installing BlackMagic5G (explanation below), adding HD VOLTE, how to restore from a brick, and some other cool tricks: https://mega.nz/file/igphSCTD#OybJo9t1zwvJ0bdbAcN2BCqxWXAfHdhk3JFB4_5xkVc

I suggest you flash my BlackMagic5G and don't unlock your bootloader at all - just root. It's CN 2.52 ROM based. You'll get VOLTE, , GApps installed, Rooted with Magisk, TWRP, debloated, YouTube Vanced, AdAway, SmartPack Kernel Manager, etc. - looks like the Global / NA variant of the ROM. Almost perfect except still uses Messages and Phone from Nubia. Plus you will enable Face Unlock not available in the Global or NA versions of the ROM, and FP will still work! Click on the Google Search bar widget and the mic icon takes you to the Google Assistant, the left icon is Google Feed, type in the middle bar for a Google Search. Has 1Weather Free weather widget that looks great, and Google Calendar widget for your whole month of activities. Translate, Lens, Chrome, all the Google Apps are there. And the Chinese Nubia apps are nearly all GONE!

MegaNZ Link for BlackMagic5G Beta - IT'S ONLY THE DATA PARTITION + ROOTED KERNEL + NA SPLASH SCREEN, you NEED to 1) install the Red Magic 2.52 ROM below FIRST 2) Root using the first link posted above 3) Flash restore this from TWRP: https://mega.nz/file/r9hF2BwS#RrAXiFWSBNX8dLqfrH8nNHo_uigPC8uYXonwhALhGbo

MegaNZ Link for the Red Magic 5G CN 2.52 ROM: https://mega.nz/file/aoxBFAqY#EDt2OZBGTME4ZGKnERKpK_t-aJT_rWgD0aqBFkilRcY

*** NOW THE BOOTLOADER UNLOCK INSTRUCTIONS ***

Go to Settings / About phone / Build Number (NX659_J_ENCommon_V3.08 on North American Variant), click 7 times, Now you are a developer message appears, go back a menu to Settings / Other system settings / Developer options.

Enable:
    OEM unlocking "Allow the bootloader to be unlocked"
    USB debugging "Debug mode when USB is connected"

Install Minimal ADB and Fastboot (Windows 10 in this example): https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=746010030569952951
    Default install path is:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot\

Go to the Search button on the bottom on Windows 10, type cmd, Command Prompt will appear in the menu. Right click it and Run as Administrator. All commands to be typed will be run in this Command Prompt window (referred to as terminal) unless otherwise stated to run on the phone.

Now Terminal window appears (it says Administrator: Command Prompt in the heading):
    Text displayed is:

Microsoft Windows
    (c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Typed in terminal:
    cd "c:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot"

I now connected the phone to a USB port on the PC.
    On the phone, a Window appeared:

"Allow USB debugging?"
    The computer's RSA key fingerprint is:
    [36 digit code] Example:
    C8:A1:D7:E2:01:F6:A1
    :36:D8:10:E8:33:20:FB:
    93:7D

Always allow from this computer (it's my computer so I clicked it since I trust the computer)
    CANCEL / ALLOW (I clicked ALLOW)

Typed in terminal:
    adb reboot bootloader

The phone reboots. Once the phone screen boots, in the center it says: Now you are in fastboot mode.

From the terminal I typed:

The terminal now displayed:
    (bootloader) START update nubia fastboot unlock flag!!!
    (bootloader) START set state to 1 ok!!!

In the terminal I typed:
    fastboot flashing unlock *** DO NOT TYPE THIS IF YOU WANT TO KEEP A WORKING FP!!! READ TOP OF POST!!! AVOID THIS WITH THE EXPERIMENTAL METHOD OF ROOT WITH NO BL UNLOCK ***

Now a screen appeared on the phone with a big <!> red icon in the left corner. The rest in white text is a warning message. "By unlocking the bootloader, you will be able to install custom operating system on this phone. A custom OS is not subject to the same level of testing as the original OS, and can cause your phone and installed applications to stop working properly-
    Software integrity cannot be guaranteed with a custom OS, so any data stored on the phone while the bootloader is unlocked may be at risk.
    To prevent unauthorized access to your personal data, unlocking the bootloader will also delete all personal data on your phone.
    Press the Volume keys to select whether to unlock the bootloader, then the Power Button to continue."

I selected UNLOCK BOOTLOADER and my device was completely erased. The factory OS loaded then. This process takes some time to complete.

Now the device rebooted with a warning message, and a big <!> yellow icon in the left corner.

"The boot loader is unlocked and software integrity cannot be guaranteed. Any data stored on the device may be available to attackers. Do not store any sensitive data on the device.

Visit this link on another device:
    g.co/ABH"

Now the device reloads the firmware apparently and wipes all user data. Upon setting up the phone, the fingerprint display registration comes up and asked to place my finger on the back of the phone. There is no fingerprint sensor on the back of the Redmagic 5G! It is under the screen! So this step must be skipped. The ROM setup is corrupt or incomplete, a beta possibly. I setup the phone then went into Settings / Security to try to add a fingerprint. The button to add fingerprint then appears. Once I click the button, I get this error:

Loss of fingerprint calibration data

Loss of fingerprint calibration data was detected.
    Currently unable to complete fingerprint entry,
    please contact Nuia after-sales service via

See the XDA post for recalibrating the FP: https://xdaforums.com/nubia-red-magic-5g/how-to/guide-calibration-finger-print-loss-t4132961

ROOT FOR ALL DEVICES:
    (These files are included in the tools download zip, Magisk 20.4 and MagiskManager-v7.5.1.apk, but this is the official source as updates post): Go to XDA and Download Magisk Manager and install the APK. Download the latest Magisk as well from the Manager. You can then reboot to Recovery (volume up + power, release the power button once the screen shows it loading, hold the volume up down until you see TWRP pop up). Flash Magisk from TWRP Install / Zip / sdcard / Magisk.zip reboot and you'll have root.

BL unlock first method was tested on North American variant and it works. But it breaks your FP sensor and gives you an annoying boot prompt.

If at any time you want to remove the OEM Bootloader unlock, you plug into the PC, go to the terminal for Minimal ADB and Fastboot, type:

adb reboot fastboot
    fastboot flashing lock (screen will prompt to relock BL, choose to Relock)
    The phone should reboot and install the original software. BUT...
    If it says you are corrupted well, you have more issues.

You'll have to reflash the stock recovery.img, reboot to stock recovery, wipe data, wipe cache, and flash the CN update.zip rom to a flash drive FORMATTED TO FAT32 (annoying as hell) But you NEED a USB-C to OTG Adapter to attach a Flash Drive / SDCARD this way). If you don't have one, you better reflash TWRP using the prior instructions and flash the update.zip from there. Install, select the update.zip, flash. Wipe Data, Cache, ART/Dalvik. Reboot.

Now it should WIPE the entire phone and be back to normal Android 10 setup non rooted, no unlocked bootloader. Always beware of data loss doing root functions!!! Always be prepared to setup your phone entirely over again. Google Backup is very good to turn on before you do any of this stuff if you have already installed apps.

*** WARNING - THIS BYPASS METHOD COULD GO AWAY AT ANYTIME. IT SHOULD EVENTUALLY BE FIXED BY NUBIA ***
    Hello everyone !

FIrst of all thank you for your informations, it is quite instructive and i learned a lot from it.

I am having a question here.

I recently got a CN version of the Red magic 5G and i wanted to upgrade to the latest official ROM using the bootloader as the ROM that was installed on the device was not allowing me to access the update menu from the settings (bug maybe..)
    The device was in version 3.0.0

I downloaded the global ROM (EU and NA) and tried to install them with TWRP, however everytime I install using the file NX659J-Update i am getting the message device corrupted with a red exclamation mark on the top left. I am not sure how to proceed and install the official ROM from here.
    I used the links in : https://xdaforums.com/nubia-red-magic-5g/how-to/official-redmagic-5g-rom-t4099825

Appreciate your help.

EDIT :
    I found a fix somehow by mixing different topics, this might look super easy for you anyway.

I did those operations to recover :

I downloaded latest CN ROM from here (Thanks google Translate) : http://ui.nubia.cn/rom/detail/65
    Then i used the bellow commands to flash to TWRP
    fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin

I copied the NX659J-Update.zip file to a USB stick and connected to the phone using my macbook USB-C dongle

I installed the NX659J-Update using TWRP Install command and I wiped the cache at the end.

Then I extracted the files from the NX659J-Update folder to my computer and i runned those command from ADB-Fastboot

fastboot flash parameter parameter.img
    fastboot reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash splash splash.img
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot flash dsp dspso.bin
    fastboot oem nubia_lock NUBIA_NX659J
    fastboot reboot bootloader

After that i booted to the recovery mode from the bootloader and i got an error asking me to clear my data folder, i clicked yes and it finally worked.

14h starting from 0 knowledge on Android (I am more of a iOS/Linux user) later, finally did a stock ROM update. What an experience to do a simple update...

Cheers.

do you have instruction and tool to install phh gsi rom on Red Magic 5G ?
    Yeah, I want to make a dedicated thread, but that's going to be for another day.
    Anyway, it's pretty easy.
    You'll need a modern fastboot (i.e. which supports Android 10's dynamic partitions), and we'll unlock bootloader.
    Download vbmeta from https://dl.google.com/developers/android/qt/images/gsi/vbmeta.img
    Download an ARM64 A/B GSI, for instance: https://github.com/phhusson/treble_...nload/v220/system-quack-arm64-ab-floss.img.xz
    ( https://github.com/phhusson/treble_...nload/v220/system-quack-arm64-ab-gapps.img.xz if you want gapps)

- Enable developers settings, tick oem unlock, reboot to bootloader with `adb reboot bootloader`
    - Do `fastboot flashing unlock`
    - Accept the unlock
    - As soon as you get adb back, do `adb reboot fastboot` (/!\ THIS IS NOT `adb reboot bootloader` it is different /!\)
    - `fastboot flash system system-quack-arm64-ab-floss.img`
    - Select "Reboot to bootloader" on the phone
    - `fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img`
    - Select "reboot to recovery mode" on the phone
    - Wipe userdata partition from recovery
    - Reboot

At the moment, fingerprint sensor doesn't work on GSI (it shouldn't take me long though), so there is no point in relocking, I guess I'll make a guide when I have it working.
    FP fix after a BL unlock (real unlock not bypass)

@Rich T figured out how to enable fingerprint calibration after a true bootloader unlock BTW: *#*# 466349#*#* in dialer
    fingerprint calibration will open,
    click the after-sale calibration,
    it will prompt to put the meat weight,
    press your finger on the white spot,
    you will then be prompted to put on black weights,
    use a black piece of paper, and press the white spot,
    wait for the calibration to complete.