Red tint on the screen

Search This thread

jc83

Apr 27, 2009
Heres what I've notice on my 2 S8 devices received (black & orchid) compared to my silver s7 edge

S7 edge - viewed straight is white colored screen. No red hue but when viewed at angle has noticeable blue/green hue.

S8 black - viewed straight is white but slightly warmer vs S7 edge & S8 Orchid. Viewed at angle slight reddish hue but perhaps normal when viewing amoled at angle?

2. S8 orchid - viewed straight is white but more blueish hue than s8 black. But viewed at angle is definitely more reddish hue VS S8 black. This is only when viewing phone at angle so not sure if its an issue or not. This is my wife's phone and she is not nearly as picky as my so we'll see.

Take away for me here is my S7 edge viewed at angle is has a very noticeable blue/green hue. S8 Black viewed at angle has slight reddish hue ans S8 Orchid viewed at angle has a more noticeable reddish hue. All phones viewed straight are white.

Last edited:

DLovo313

Dec 1, 2012
I've played with all the settings, it gets a little better but it's still very noticeable on my S8+.

What's everyone's manufacture date? If you match mine does yours have the Red Tint too...? IMG-20170420-WA0015.jpgScreenshot_20170420-102918.png

Sent from my S8+

ljg600

Jan 21, 2013
Samsung is in Trouble

Why? Let's assume the percentage of users with misadjusted color balance is considerable. Second, assume of those, 80% can be "fixed," via display controls. The rest can't. Add that the "red along the edges" issue is a by-product of the curved edges and display characteristics. More or less noticable depending on brightness and yet, "normal." Yet still annoying, even for a $99 phone.

All this spells trouble for Samsung and inconvienance for consumers. Not impressed, and I am also one of the red edge "victims."

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

haircut123

Dec 9, 2011
Just got my s8 plus from carphone wharehouse this morning woth red/pink tint.can't exchange it either as the phone ain't released untill the 28th.also I checked out 30 s8 today all had red screen part from 2 phones.I don't have high hopes of getting one with a good screen.I'm pretty sure they won't let me open 30 boxes untill I get a good 1

LimitsX

Nov 14, 2010
I have the pink hue though on the entire screen (mostly centre from top to the bottom). I have to completely turn off RED in display to get rid off it, but there is slight at the bottom of my S8.

idk what to do :\

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011
My pink tint is mostly just on the sides when in adaptive display, but every mode other than adaptive sends the whole display to a very noticeably pink hue (and you cannot adjust the RGB in anything other than adaptive). gonna have to take it back.

haircut123

Dec 9, 2011
I have the pink hue though on the entire screen (mostly centre from top to the bottom). I have to completely turn off RED in display to get rid off it, but there is slight at the bottom of my S8.

idk what to do :\

Same here iTS a nightmare. How the fuk do we get a good 1 it's like a lottery.

Reji007

May 3, 2011
My pink tint is mostly just on the sides when in adaptive display, but every mode other than adaptive sends the whole display to a very noticeably pink hue (and you cannot adjust the RGB in anything other than adaptive). gonna have to take it back.

I have this exact same problem also. Will have to call T-mobile later today. (Orchid Grey S8)

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011
Same here iTS a nightmare. How the fuk do we get a good 1 it's like a lottery.

Yup it will be a complete lottery because this obviously isnt a small problem on a small number of devices, its worldwide. samsung will have so many sent back as faulty as people keep replacing them trying to get one that isnt faulty.

jer21

Apr 26, 2011
Seattle
I did a white screen test against my s6edge. I didn't notice anything on the s8 that looked strange but just wanted to test since everyone else is. My s6 is actually a little red tintish/dim but my s8 is perfect, now I can't even look at the s6's screen. I never even noticed it the last 2 years.

I was maybe going to trade in for an s8+ but now I feel lucky for getting one without issues. I'm staying where I am! Sorry to those with issues.

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

Those who don't have the tint, can you confirm that still the screen feels more "reddish"? Especially noticable when you play around with display modes or red color balance...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

I don't notice anything at all. I'll try to post a pic against my s6edge when I get home if I have the time.

haircut123

Dec 9, 2011
Yup it will be a complete lottery because this obviously isnt a small problem on a small number of devices, its worldwide. samsung will have so many sent back as faulty as people keep replacing them trying to get one that isnt faulty.

Like I said I checked around 30 display units today only 2 had perfect screens.I'm sure next week when I return my s8 plus to cfw they won't let me keep opening up boxes and boxes of s8 plus handsets untill I find a non faulty one.

Last edited:

easyguy

Apr 30, 2011
Like I said I checked around 30 display units today only 2 had perfect screens.I'm sure next week when I return my s8 plus to cfw they won't let me keep opening up boxes and boxes of s8 plus handsets untill I find a non faulty one.

That is insane!...I hope samsung roll out an update soon or else mine is going back to t-mobile.

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011

Yeah thats kinda what worries me, John Lewis will be much more clueless to the problem than a phone shop like CPW so they may just deny theres an issue at all!!

I am trying to judge whether it's fixable with a software update or whether these are pure hardware defects that really do have to have new hardware to fix properly. I am leaning towards hardware issue and manufacturing defect because the software is identical on every device, there is no reason for such a huge difference in display colours, it has never been like that on any other device so i cant see how its software. I wish it was, I could do without this hassle, and having to spend hours setting up my phone AGAIN.

laureanop

Aug 24, 2010
Los Angeles
This is insane !!!! How did this slip by quality control ??? I received mine yesterday and you can add me to the list with the pink tint when slightly tilting the phone when a white background is on !!!!!

Sent from my SM-T810 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011
This one review on youtube noticed the color difference even on the day of its debut. Check out her video and I cue it to the spot when she talks about it. very noticeable!

https://youtu.be/rhoyPn2_O0M?t=7m31s

Yeah it ISNT a new issue, someone on here had a thread about it when they spotted it on a display model the first day the were in shops after Mar 29th, and it was put down to being a display model and someone possibly messing with the display settings. It seems it wasn't, it was the exact same issue lots of people have now, 3 weeks later.

easyguy

Apr 30, 2011
Yeah it ISNT a new issue, someone on here had a thread about it when they spotted it on a display model the first day the were in shops after Mar 29th, and it was put down to being a display model and someone possibly messing with the display settings. It seems it wasn't, it was the exact same issue lots of people have now, 3 weeks later.

I thought I can live with it, but It is very noticeable to me! Now I have to deal with t-mobile stupid return policy.

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011
woman in video makes it sound like its normal for AMOLED displays. How many devices have had similar AMOLED displays now? and how many have had this issue? dont think any. I wonder if Samsung is going to do something or just bury their heads in the sand for weeks and hope it goes away.

deanesn

Mar 24, 2010
Chicago
TMO are annoying me. Telling me to deal with Samsung directly and Samsung is telling send in for repair which will take at least 3 weeks.. Unacceptable on all levels. I think I am calling TMO again and telling them i want to return it. I might try my luck finding one at a store where I can check the quality before I walk out or even better I will keep my money and use my s7 edge.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all, i think im the only one who has had the update so far. I had the red tint on the screen, and it was way worse around the edges - the software update cured it after i adjusted the settings for both the display and the edges. So for those saying it can't be fixed, that's just not true. I can't guarantee it will be the same for everyone, but for my phone (which was badly affected, especially on right edge), it worked great. So don't panic yet, wait for the update and see for yourselves before deciding.
    Check this code to adjust balance *#15987#
    Hola hoy e comprado un s8plus y me a venido con los bordes rojizos y dos roales rojizos a mediana altura qu se notaban bastante lo e llevado a la tienda y lo emos comparado con el de exposicion y se notava muchisimo . La semana que viene me traen otro haver como viene si me sigue llegando mal lo intentare cambiar por otro terminal .me parece vergonzoso que 1 tlf de 900e venga asi. Estoy muy decepcionado x ahora . 1 saludo amigos desde almeria
    And now in ENGLISH!!!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T700 met Tapatalk
    YES!
    In Russia, an update became available, it fixed the pink edges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yesterday I exchanged an S8+ with a red-tinted screen for one without the problem, and the difference is striking. Having now had the chance to compare a number of S8 and S8+ screens (the store staff were really helpful and let me play with display settings on a number of phones), I am fairly convinced that there are two types of screens out there. I'm reasonably tech-literate, have owned pretty much every Samsung and Apple phone released in the last five years, and it was clear from day one that my S8+ had a colouration problem. Got the phone on Monday morning and spent three days reading forums, adjusting every setting (including the red-balance via the dialer code), and even consulted with a friend who is an engineer who specializes in screen technologies. After every attempted fix, I still had a phone with a clear red distortion around the edges of the screen (which would become much more pronounced if you changed the viewing angle in certain directions). The new phone has a perfect screen with no sign of a red tint at all. I don't blame Samsung, as this is a new product and problems happen - especially when you are mass producing screens like these. However, unless people have had an opportunity to look at one with the tint and one without side-by-side, probably best to hold off suggesting that any problem is a result of users screwing with their settings, accidentally turning on the blue-light filter, being overly-obsessive about their screens etc. The staff in the store could also see the difference, and admitted the problem immediately. If you're happy keeping the phone on Adaptive Display with the red-levels turned down, that's fine. I wasn't, and I'm very glad I swapped out the phone.