Red tint on the screen

jarein95

Jan 21, 2012
Bilbao
2 days ago I got a popup notification (even though Auto update was Off), I denied the download and installation because everything is fine on m mine, but then out of curiosity, since the update os was off I've decided to look how (if) I wanted to return to the option of installation how could I get it back... i could not find it, so for everyone who really has a tint problem, make sure you don't disregard the popup and Download/Install it right then. it's like a one time chance I guess... lol... then it's gone.

Sent from my Samsung SM-G950F using XDA Labs
and you received it after or before the update that able us to calibrate the edges?

supersonictt

Jan 23, 2011
of course I'm aware of the tint... BUT you were saying that you browsed through stores and 20 devices where checked ) had red tint which is nonsense... there is a video on YouTube where the guy with a special device checks s8 with red tint and without and there is a difference of course in a color code in the result he got... but after simply adjusting red he got it right in the first try... im not trying to rationalize, I'm simply stating the fact that you were deceiving people when you said 20 devices in a row were with a red tint. and if anyone bought it by pre-order, no need to be upset, just simple adjustment in Settings can solve that... and the update from Samsung is already out, it's 36 mb. I'll try finding finding the video to prove that there is no reason to be upset... i was simply saying that you are a lier and showing support to the rest who got it.

subject is closed, I'll get that video, I'm subscribed to his channel.

I usually wait for 4 month before buying new Samsung, everyone who knows anything about Android and techs knows it's better to wait, but this time I couldn't and yes I guess I got lucky but no 20 devices in a row as you said can have that problem... bullsh*t.

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

enjoy!
Well, thank you for your input. Much appreciated.
I also checked more than 20 devices in different stores including a Samsung shop and the majority had red tint, and some of them had even more blue/green/yellow shades.
As some said, for a high end device, it was supposed to be addressed at the factory level. Adding this option is good also but that didn't fix the issue on my first device which I exchanged. The second one is better and I barely see any red now.

methoddon1

Mar 22, 2013
Bobruisk,New York,Moscow
and you received it after or before the update that able us to calibrate the edges?
to be honest I don't understand the question... a week ago I bought the device, screen was fine... 2 days ago I got a popup system notification which said it's a fix for red tint and to agree to download and install if I have that issue. I hit No, it disappeared, that's the whole story.

Sent from my Samsung SM-G950F using XDA Labs

choccy31

Oct 16, 2009
Not had this issue really but I did notice in power saving mode occasionally the screen at certain angles could look a little more pinkish.

I wonder how many people use the blue light night filter and think they have the problem lol

Reactions: methoddon1

Bisquit-02

Apr 27, 2017
Not had this issue really but I did notice in power saving mode occasionally the screen at certain angles could look a little more pinkish.

I wonder how many people use the blue light night filter and think they have the problem lol
That's not the case at all. People suffer from one or more red edges which makes the other borders different no matter what temperature set. Then there is a reddish shine over the entire screen if you slightly tilt it. Our screens are not uniform in colour. After they serviced my phone my overall tint is now green with a bit of yellow. Not pretty at all and I'm wondering if I can reverse that by flashing back to an older firmware.

But in any case, I'm now starting to believe these things will never be fixed.

hfmartins

Oct 18, 2013
Well...I am still not happy after the update...I thought I was but I am not...

I can control the left and right edges...however, the level of fine tuning of the middle of screen does not match the edge tuning, meaning I can never have the same hue across the entire screen.

And to make matters worse, at the top there is always a white bar no matter what settings I use, like there is an intermediate area between the middle of the screen and top of it, that isn't fully covered by the colour settings. Also, there is a red tint, or a red line if you will, where the top of the screen leads to the body of the casing.

Levus

Mar 19, 2010
Budapest
Dear all,

I checked around 20 devices in different stores.
All was the same.
I was talking with people from other forums and i've met with one who stated that his device is flawless. It was simply the same as the others, so i tend to believe that this is simply the way this display is working.

Interestingly i saw devices in store which were calibrated in the factory exactly the same way as we can calibrate the devices with the new firmware's edge calibration feature. Those devices were with the original firmware without this option.
It was easily visible that the borders are cooler a little bit when tilted.
Which devices doesn't have the red tint are calibrated for much cooler colours at the factory.

Assuming this, i'm over the issue because suddenly i'm confident that this display is simply like this.
Most importantly, red tint here and there, if i'm looking at this device next to my flawless S7 Edge, the difference is night and day and the S8+ is the winner. It has simply much better colours and generally a cleaner, more detailed picture. The greyish, whiteish pictures are much better too.

Reactions: tooly2601

tooly2601

Jan 5, 2016
I think some people got really to reddish displays...but overall u are right. This is how the display works. Look at all the amoleds..they gray, green...when i compare to my s8, the s8 got much more white then all other amoleds. I remember i have read somewhere that samsung just try to avoid the green gray displays first time...

Abadaman

Feb 10, 2013
Hello guys,

So I bought my S8+ Midnight Black over a week ago and as soon as i started the phone i noticed slight purple halo around the edges of the screen, i must admit that i have read this ,,issue'' on the net before i even bought the phone, so i was kinda trying to find the edge purple thing right away after powering on the device. I have seen around 12 demo devices here in my local city, in various malls, providers, etc., now here is the thing:

There seemed to be two variants of displays:

1. variant: Had slight purple halo around the corners, while tilting the phone the colors shifted to purple/red hue, seemed to have stronger, deeper colors, contrast, that popped more, also seemed to have brighter display on max brightness

2. variant: Had slightly colder corners, no purple halo around the edges, while tilting the phone the display shifted to blueish hue, seemed to have less saturated, less deeper colors, contrast than the 1. variant when viewed at straight angle, was slightly dimmer than 1. variant on max brightness

I have compared all of these devices with adaptive mode, then basic mode, basically set them up the same, i even called a friend of mine that works at one of these shops and he saw it also, the 1. variant had slightly deeper, more saturated colors, now i dont know if this is due to the ,red tint, or not, if it is software/hardware calibration issue and even if it is issue at all, because me personally liked the 1. variant more, the colors just popped depper, brighter, they were around 10percent punchier and so on. I sat there basically around 10minutes at every shop comparing the devices like an idiot, because it was really getting on my nerves that we pay 900euros for a damn mobile phone and have to correct something ourselves.

Why do i think there are two versions of displays (probably like revisions or whatever)? Basically when i tilted the 1. variant it shifted to purple/red hue, when i tilted the 2. variant it shifted to blue hue. Dunno if you can make something like this by just setting the color temperature to colder, but i may be wrong. I am no expert, basically just a random guy that thinks that when i pay this much for a smartphone i want to have uniform white, thats all.

You be the judge and you pick the posion. I personally have given myself a huge headache dealing with these things. But anyway, its an amazing device.

What do you guys think about this ,,little experiment and observation of mine,,?

Cheers,

Abadaman

Reactions: Levus

Levus

Mar 19, 2010
Budapest
I tink it's just relates to the different color balance setting in the *#15987*# , and you can calibrate the colder displays to be exactly like the the mentioned 1. type.

Bisquit-02

Apr 27, 2017
Agreed. I have the type 1 variant.
But now with factory altered settings my overall brightness is lower. Colours are less popping out which is better.
But too much green now and I would prefer higher brightness like I had before.
Darn.

philipone69

Mar 7, 2016
Bucharest
I bit the bullet again and bought another s8. Well.... this time, when looking at it straight on the screen is absolutely white (no pink, no green no nothing). When i tilt the phone it gets that pink hue again...? I'd rather have this one. I'll keep it. Compared to the devices i exchanged previously this one is miles better. Also this one looks a bit brighter and more "contrasty" than the others i had...maybe i'm wrong.

I'll post some photos side by side with my s7edge. This time i can really see this s8 as being the whiter white screen and also brighter

Trimis de pe al meu SM-G950F folosind Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: biffwitch

biffwitch

Feb 4, 2017
Dear all,

I checked around 20 devices in different stores.
All was the same.
I was talking with people from other forums and i've met with one who stated that his device is flawless. It was simply the same as the others, so i tend to believe that this is simply the way this display is working.

Interestingly i saw devices in store which were calibrated in the factory exactly the same way as we can calibrate the devices with the new firmware's edge calibration feature. Those devices were with the original firmware without this option.
It was easily visible that the borders are cooler a little bit when tilted.
Which devices doesn't have the red tint are calibrated for much cooler colours at the factory.

Assuming this, i'm over the issue because suddenly i'm confident that this display is simply like this.
Most importantly, red tint here and there, if i'm looking at this device next to my flawless S7 Edge, the difference is night and day and the S8+ is the winner. It has simply much better colours and generally a cleaner, more detailed picture. The greyish, whiteish pictures are much better too.
I have done the same and I can guarantee the pink/red tint is definitely not present on all phones. A slight darkening of the edges was all I had on my last two S8+'s (broke them both from one drop)

My current S8+ has a very dodgy pink tint at the top of the screen and down the two edges but the middle is okay.

On a side note, my old S8+'s both gave me 8 hrs SOT and this one is giving me 4 hours SOT only. Going back tomorrow.

Crouny

May 17, 2017
I have done the same and I can guarantee the pink/red tint is definitely not present on all phones. A slight darkening of the edges was all I had on my last two S8+'s (broke them both from one drop)

My current S8+ has a very dodgy pink tint at the top of the screen and down the two edges but the middle is okay.

On a side note, my old S8+'s both gave me 8 hrs SOT and this one is giving me 4 hours SOT only. Going back tomorrow.
Hey :)
1st of all, sorry for my english but i needed to post something here :D

About this red tint issue, i'm working for a telecommunications provider in Switzerland and i've seen maybe 50 or more devices with power on.

There's 3 categories of devices
1. some of them are flawless, no red tint, no red hue when we're tilting them. But sincerely it's maybe 1 on 10 or 20.

All the others are reddish but :
2. some are correctable with the last update (screen and edges)
3. and the last category of devices are the devices which are not correctable, the center of the screen is with the 1st upgrade, but the edges are not.

in Store we're selling a lot of Samsung S8 but there's a lot of people who come back to change or cancer their buying.

Reactions: hfmartins

Abadaman

Feb 10, 2013
I tink it's just relates to the different color balance setting in the *#15987*# , and you can calibrate the colder displays to be exactly like the the mentioned 1. type.
Dunno, but when you change settings in the *#15987*# and afterwards you change the color or edge balance settings in the menu, the changes in *#15987*# will reset itself to default. Im not quite sure if you can calibrate the off angle glow tho, when i put all the reds down and set the color temperature to colder it still kinda glows slightly pink when tilted. I dont know why but i like the variant 1. more, to me it had deeper, more contrasty colors for sure, even my friend who works at the shop noticed that the table with vegetables on the screen menu was more punchier color wise compared to the other s8+ and s8 they had at the shop, not that much, but there was difference.

It would be great if someone else that exchanged his/her device cause the tint issue got exchange that glowed slightly blue and not pink when tilted. I have a feeling this is something you cant change by any settings and demarks those two variants, anyway when i adjust the edge balance one slider lower from the middle it is almost uniform across the whole screen, the top is slightly cooler and the right edge has a little bit more pink hue to it than the left but otherwise its fine. I still have 7 days return window if i wanted exchange or my money back, but dont know if its worth it, it could be better, it could be worse, there are guys here and on reddit that exchanges few times and got even worse lol

Agreed. I have the type 1 variant.
But now with factory altered settings my overall brightness is lower. Colours are less popping out which is better.
But too much green now and I would prefer higher brightness like I had before.
Darn.
Cant you change it in *#15987*# ?

I bit the bullet again and bought another s8. Well.... this time, when looking at it straight on the screen is absolutely white (no pink, no green no nothing). When i tilt the phone it gets that pink hue again... I'd rather have this one. I'll keep it. Compared to the devices i exchanged previously this one is miles better. Also this one looks a bit brighter and more "contrasty" than the others i had...maybe i'm wrong.

I'll post some photos side by side with my s7edge. This time i can really see this s8 as being the whiter white screen and also brighter

Trimis de pe al meu SM-G950F folosind Tapatalk
Are you sure your current device is not the same as the one you had before? try to put the edge color balance from middle to highest setting (to the right) to see if the edges will become more pink or not. I mean, i know your current device could be without the pink edges, but from my experience our eyes and mind sometimes play pretty nasty tricks on us ^^

Yeah, your current device looks the same as mine. Mine also has slight pink tint at the top that goes down the both edges, the right edge is slightly more purple-ish than left, when i go to edge balance settings and set it one step down from the middle it almost clears out, but theres still a slight purple hue on the right edge. Still thinking if i want to exchange it or not, i just have a feeling the next device will be the same, or even worse, or maybe better, but dont know if this is going anywhere.

jpbl1976

Nov 21, 2008
Brookline, MA
I compared my s8 next to my old s7edge and the s7 looks like it has a bit of a red tint that i never noticed ?. But when o compared the s8 next to my ipad air2,the iPad's screen looks extremely red(which again i never noticed or never bothered me).

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

When I used adaptive display feature ,i noticed that in indoor artificial light the screen looks to have a red tint.
Ha! I thought I was the only one. My iPhone 7 Plus looks a bit red too compared to my S8+. Really strange what happens when you're looking for something.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Last edited: