• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Red tint on the screen

Search This thread

Jockson

Jan 4, 2011
Just got my 3rd S8 and it has this red tint on tilting at slightest angles. My first two absolutely did not have this issue. They don't really do exchanges here, I have to return it and buy another from a different store. Is there even a point of trying to get a good screen or my chances are too low to go through all this? This first one had extreme glow at both edges, the second was very green in one corner only but neither had problems with off angle viewing. Uniformity of these screens seems shockingly bad.

Jockson

Jan 4, 2011
Yes it does. And yes it's a lost cause.
No software fix possible and no awareness from Samsung by the looks of it. They don't believe this to be an issue.
So it's a gamble when you get another s8(+).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk
It does seem like a lost cause. After unboxing it, the first thing I checked out was white uniformity and was fairly happy with it. Right edge is a little pinkish but it's not too bad, I could get used to it. And then I noticed the entire screen goes red/pink after tilting the phone just a few degrees. I know I'm not crazy, my previous two S8s did not have this issue. My Nexus 6P amoled doesn't have this issue either. I have never actually seen this on an amoled screen. Straight on, white is white, which turns red at slightest tilt and then goes green at more extreme angles. I knew about the green, every oled phone I've ever used has had it, but this red shift is very strange and extremely annoying.

I wonder what are my chances of getting a screen that doesn't have the red shift AND no major uniformity issues. Has anyone exchanged their phone with red shift and actually got a replacement without it? I really want this phone but the screen is so terrible it's impossible to ignore.

Bisquit-02

Apr 27, 2017
This topic is actually filled with posts from people that exchanged theirs. With mixed results. It could be worse or les. I read somewhere they cut the screens from wafers which are better in the center, and worse going outwards. That's probably why they added some colour options for adaptive mode. Which is essential for most s8's.
Unfortunately they sold those extra options to us pretending it was because of previous demands from enthousiast users, and were forced to bring it early due to the red tint on many devices.

Any way, try getting it exchanged or "fixed".

Jockson

Jan 4, 2011
Normally, I'd just wait for the S9. But the iPhone X seems to have the exact same issues - massive color temperature differences and also very different off axis viewing performance. It's absolutely ridiculous that these phones cost so much and yet have so many issues with the screen alone.

Jockson

Jan 4, 2011
So yeah, I bought another S8 and this one is the worst I've ever seen. It's not so bad viewing angle wise but screen uniformity is atrocious. The entire top AND left edges of the screen are red. So much that even adjusting edge colors and obviously making the right edge green, it still doesn't make top and left edges the same as the rest of the screen. I'm absolutely convinced all screens have these issues, perhaps some don't by pure chance. Best mobile screen my a$%. I'm done with Samsung I guess.

Bisquit-02

Apr 27, 2017
Yeah, saw an s8 from a friend, he got it the other day. Screen is uniform and beautifully looking from any angle. Not like my display.
Samsung does a poor job with these amoled screens.

zuzuzuzu

Sep 20, 2007
Bucharest
Hey guys, Merry Christmas! :D

I have just bought an S8 to my wife, and the screen looks pretty good, though the display has a pretty cool feel..
Is there any way I can make the display warmer ? And not by using the Adaptive Display, because that option changes the colors from one minute to another..
Is there any way I can use Amoled Photo and still adjust the white balance, or make the screen warmer ?

Thanks! :D

Jockson

Jan 4, 2011
I don't think you can use anything other than adaptive display if you want to tweak colors unfortunately.

Yeah, saw an s8 from a friend, he got it the other day. Screen is uniform and beautifully looking from any angle. Not like my display.
Samsung does a poor job with these amoled screens.
Yes, I also saw another S8 today and the screen is very uniform and a million times better than mine was from angles. The difference is amazing and people saying red shift at angles is "normal" couldn't be more wrong. It's only normal in sense that there are lots of defective devices out there. But yeah, this screen isn't pefect either. It has a strong 3D glow effect on edges, where your left eyes sees the glow of the right edge but your right eye doesn't, because of the angle, and vice versa. My defective units had this effect but it was MUCH, MUCH less pronounced. I'm totally convinced there are no S8s without any of these issues. OLED just isn't mature enough.

Dec 29, 2017
My screen is also red, very noticeable. The slider helps, but it's only available in Adaptive mode, which isn't my preference. Pretty sure I'll be exchanging my phone. That's really strange how Samsung is doing quality control

Jockson

Jan 4, 2011
I took a look at another few S8s in a store today and I can safely say there is a not a single S8 out there without any screen issues. I don't mean it in a "it's not perfect" way but really, every single screen I've ever seen has a noticeable defect. The absolute best one I saw today had mild red tint on the left edge ONLY. It also had a moderate 3d effect on the edges AND the right side of the screen was slightly dimmer in comparison to the left. Viewing angle wise it was pretty good but, for example, much worse than the screen of the Nexus 6P. The iPhone X screens also have very similar issues, you can really tell it is Samsung who is making them. How is this happening, I have no idea when other phones with older amoled screens actually perform much better although aren't as bright.

Do exchange your phone if it bothers you because each screen is VERY different but DO expect it to have other, perhaps less annoying issues.

Reactions: MK-UL7RA

Bisquit-02

Apr 27, 2017
I just wish they add a red slider for amoled modes so I can finally use them. Won't happen though.

tasked28m

Oct 28, 2013
After replacing my screen for burn in issue , the engineer there told me there are 2 factories producing the s8 screens. One factory produces a yellowish tint screen and the other a red tint screen. Got both of them and I have to say the reddish tint is absolutely horrible. Once you notice it you can not possible ignore it. The yellowish tint is bearable.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all, i think im the only one who has had the update so far. I had the red tint on the screen, and it was way worse around the edges - the software update cured it after i adjusted the settings for both the display and the edges. So for those saying it can't be fixed, that's just not true. I can't guarantee it will be the same for everyone, but for my phone (which was badly affected, especially on right edge), it worked great. So don't panic yet, wait for the update and see for yourselves before deciding.
    Check this code to adjust balance *#15987#
    Hola hoy e comprado un s8plus y me a venido con los bordes rojizos y dos roales rojizos a mediana altura qu se notaban bastante lo e llevado a la tienda y lo emos comparado con el de exposicion y se notava muchisimo . La semana que viene me traen otro haver como viene si me sigue llegando mal lo intentare cambiar por otro terminal .me parece vergonzoso que 1 tlf de 900e venga asi. Estoy muy decepcionado x ahora . 1 saludo amigos desde almeria
    And now in ENGLISH!!!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T700 met Tapatalk
    YES!
    In Russia, an update became available, it fixed the pink edges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yesterday I exchanged an S8+ with a red-tinted screen for one without the problem, and the difference is striking. Having now had the chance to compare a number of S8 and S8+ screens (the store staff were really helpful and let me play with display settings on a number of phones), I am fairly convinced that there are two types of screens out there. I'm reasonably tech-literate, have owned pretty much every Samsung and Apple phone released in the last five years, and it was clear from day one that my S8+ had a colouration problem. Got the phone on Monday morning and spent three days reading forums, adjusting every setting (including the red-balance via the dialer code), and even consulted with a friend who is an engineer who specializes in screen technologies. After every attempted fix, I still had a phone with a clear red distortion around the edges of the screen (which would become much more pronounced if you changed the viewing angle in certain directions). The new phone has a perfect screen with no sign of a red tint at all. I don't blame Samsung, as this is a new product and problems happen - especially when you are mass producing screens like these. However, unless people have had an opportunity to look at one with the tint and one without side-by-side, probably best to hold off suggesting that any problem is a result of users screwing with their settings, accidentally turning on the blue-light filter, being overly-obsessive about their screens etc. The staff in the store could also see the difference, and admitted the problem immediately. If you're happy keeping the phone on Adaptive Display with the red-levels turned down, that's fine. I wasn't, and I'm very glad I swapped out the phone.