[Red Wolf] Install TWRP and root your device without breaking incremental OTA's!

ATG Droid

Jul 7, 2017
Prague
frantakysela.com

Red Wolf Recovery Project

Red Wolf Recovery is custom recovery based on the TWRP source code with it's own unique features. And one of these features is also support of the MIUI Incremental OTA's! However this thing is slightly more complicated then just downloading of the zip and flashing.. You have to first enable some things for this and flash some another ZIP file etc. So that's reason why i think that it would be nice to create a guide for this. Now let's look at it...

Pre-requisite
  • Redmi Note 4 - Snapdragon version!
  • Unlocked Bootloader
  • Common sense :p
Steps
  • Download latest build of the recovery from here and correctly follow the installation process.
  • After the correct installation reboot your device in to the recovery.
  • Now click on icon on the top - section with RedWolf specific settings.
  • Here find and enable this checkbox: "Support OTA Survival trigger package"
  • Clean flash some full MIUI ROM and flash whatever you want after that.
  • Reboot your device in to the system.
  • When you get some update just download it using updater app and let it automatically reboot in to the RedWolf
  • Now everything is done! RedWolf will automatically install it and reboot back to the system!
  • After that you don't have to flash full ROM anymore.. Just always wait for the update from updater app and let it automatically reboot in to the RedWolf.
  • Now you can flash SuperSU or Magisk and incremental OTA's without any hustles, enjoy! :)

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I am getting Error 7 while flashing incremental OTA?
Ans: If you are really sure that you followed the installation process correctly then send us a log or screenshot and we will look at it.

Q. Can I install xposed, Viper, blah blah..?
Ans: Yes! You can install anything but make sure that you use this recovery for flashing the zip files.

Q.This recovery can be used with any ROM?
Ans: Yes! You can use this recovery with any ROM.

Q.I'm stuck on patching system image unconditionally already for 10 minutes, what to do?

Ans: Zip is probably corrupted, re-download file which you're flashing again.

Q.Why j have to use updater app for it? Why we can't just flash it manually from recovery?

Ans: Zip must be decrypted first.. Updater application is automatically decrypting it so recovery can fully access files inside the zip.

Last edited:

ATG Droid

Jul 7, 2017
Prague
frantakysela.com
How much space it takes in Internal storage for this process @ATG Droid as ZCX TWRP is taking almost 3GB internal storage space for the same purpose.
It depends on OTA survival... If you won't include system in OTA survival process then it will take only 60MB. Unfortunately you won't be able to modify system partition after that or OTA update will fail. Anyway you will still be able to flash Magisk or anything what isn't modifying it.

danube59sailor

May 1, 2014
Negotin
I have installed RWR V.3.1-0.20 and wanna install last version V.3.1-021,does install new zip in recovery finished all or is other steps required to update new version,thanks!

Dark-Coder

Jun 14, 2015
How much space is needed for 1.2 GB OTA update.. ?? I got space full error and I have around 10GB free internal storage..
Thanks.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Dark-Coder

Jun 14, 2015
Last edited:

ATG Droid

Jul 7, 2017
Prague
frantakysela.com
Ok , so this time . I haven't got low storage error but still when MIUi starts it says update failed..
And see this video , some /firmware unable to mount ( in your screenshot their is no such error). This /firmware thing might be the culprit.. [emoji848]
Thanks..

Video link ( http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g8938d6cbe6545d9b1000032500c24a04eb85e637f6 )

View attachment 4342044
View attachment 4342128

There isn't right now any known way how to bypass that "miui update status check". From what i know same thing was on the first recovery called ZCX which first introduced this feature year ago. Anyway that recovery isn't open source so i had to build that code on my own and that error is still here. I think that i will need some testers for this. But this information doesn't mean that the update really failed. If you will look at the current build number then you will see that it updated successfuly. ;)
Btw. that error with firmware isn't a problem. Just a different fstab compared to the stock
recovery. Maintainer for Mido will try to look at it when he will have some free time.

Last edited:

Dark-Coder

Jun 14, 2015
There isn't right now any known way how to bypass that "miui update status check". From what i know same thing was on the first recovery called ZCX which first introduced this feature year ago. Anyway that recovery isn't open source so i had to build that code on my own and that error is still here. I think that i will need some testers for this. But this information doesn't mean that the update really failed. If you will look at the current build number then you will see that it updated successfuly. ;)
Btw. that error with firmware isn't a problem. Just a different fstab compared to the stock
recovery. Maintainer for Mido will try to look at it when he will have some free time.
But I think because of that , system not updating properly.. for example I modified mixer file ( which can be found in system/etc folder) changed volume value from 84 to 90. No I flashed MIUi OTA update and after update that file is still untouched and another thing is now I can't modified it all ( and I have magisk installed, keeps getting unable to write file on solid explorer and total commander). But when I flashed OTA with stock recovery , everything is fine..
So what's that .. ??! [emoji848] It's just confusing.. is recovery changing permission or something or what. .. ? [emoji848]

ATG Droid

Jul 7, 2017
Prague
frantakysela.com
But I think because of that , system not updating properly.. for example I modified mixer file ( which can be found in system/etc folder) changed volume value from 84 to 90. No I flashed MIUi OTA update and after update that file is still untouched and another thing is now I can't modified it all ( and I have magisk installed, keeps getting unable to write file on solid explorer and total commander). But when I flashed OTA with stock recovery , everything is fine..
So what's that .. ??! [emoji848] It's just confusing.. is recovery changing permission or something or what. .. ? [emoji848]
Stock recovery isn't including system in OTA survival. That's why it's working for you. You can also disable it in redwolf but you won't be able to modify system partition after that.

For that mixer file try to use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummyapps.rootbrowser.classic

Reactions: Dark-Coder

Dark-Coder

Jun 14, 2015
Stock recovery isn't including system in OTA survival. That's why it's working for you. You can also disable it in redwolf but you won't be able to modify system partition after that.

For that mixer file try to use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummyapps.rootbrowser.classic
Got it thanks.. and that root app works.. ( strange solid explorer root not working ). [emoji848]
One more thing , if redwolf unable to mount /firmware than it means if we ever get latest firmware via OTA it won't get updated .. right.. ?[emoji848]

ATG Droid

Jul 7, 2017
Prague
frantakysela.com
Got it thanks.. and that root app works.. ( strange solid explorer root not working ). [emoji848]
One more thing , if redwolf unable to mount /firmware than it means if we ever get latest firmware via OTA it won't get updated .. right.. ?[emoji848]
That firmware is just mount point for ssd partition. So that's not a problem at all... Of course firmware partitions like aboot, tz etc. will be updated correctly. Don't worry ;)

Reactions: Dark-Coder

biroot

Dec 30, 2008
Paris
Hey there,

If I flash this recovery over TWRP, check the boxes and then try to OTA updates via miui updater will it work ? Or do I have to flash through redwolf ? If so, can I dirty flash miui 9 over miui 8?

Thanks

biroot

Dec 30, 2008
Paris
Hey there,

If I flash this recovery over TWRP, check the boxes and then try to OTA updates via miui updater will it work ? Or do I have to flash through redwolf ? If so, can I dirty flash miui 9 over miui 8?

Thanks
Btw it worked : flashed Red Wolf from TWRP, reboot, enter Red Wolf, check the boxes for OTA survival, then updated from MIUI OTA tool.. Success!

Now in latest MIUI Build, with battery drain and all kinds of bugs!