• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Reddit Wallpaper Changer (Auto-wallpapers from subreddits)

Which future feature would you like to see in the app next?

• Quiet hours (Don't auto-update in this period)

• Different subreddit groups based on time of day

• Filter images by post flair

• Filter images by dominant color

Results are only viewable after voting.
Search This thread

akafoxter

Aug 31, 2011
Colombo
More details on notification

Hi! Love this app! Neat and clean. Use it all the time. Can you please make it so that the notification shows which subreddit failed to produce a wallpaper? So we can change the settings or delete the subreddit accordingly. This is the only issue I have. Thanks

kris_95

Nov 14, 2014
Love the app, only having one problem, it mostly changing to old used images and only after selecting new wallpaper 15+ times I'm getting a new one. Even skip duplicate option is on. Please fix this problem.

Last edited:

Poubelle.Grise

Apr 13, 2020
It would be nice to be able to go to the image history page in the app and swipe to delete images. Right now it's all or nothing regarding image delete. Selectively deleting would allow one to save favorite images and have a personal choice of up to 50 images to chose from and use based on mood as needed. Thanks for a great app! :D

Last edited:

chibichuba

Dec 29, 2015
California, USA
UPDATE 3.11.1 (October 4, 2020)
Fixes & More:
• Improved service revival after restarting device
• Fixed downloaded images not appearing immediately in photo gallery apps
• Fixed "Presets" button on Android 6.0
• Many other minor improvements

UPDATE 3.11 (August 22, 2020)
New Features:
Custom update schedules - Fine-tune 'x' minutes, hours, days.
Dark Mode, finally! - Change themes from the 3-dot menu.
Force HD option - Toggle aggressive requirements for image quality.
Fixes & More:
• Fixed image downloading on Android 10
• Improved duplicate image handling
• Support for Android 11 Beta
• Fixed Low Battery Mode
• Opening post links now uses Reddit apps
• Many performance and UI improvements

Download Links:
>> Google Play Store (Rolling out, may take a few hours after this post)
>> XDA Labs (Live now)

Extra notes:
- Downloaded images will now be saved in path "../Pictures/RedditWallpapers" due to changes in security policies on Android 10+. This directory should be located under your Internal Storage partition.

Last edited:

classicLoner

Jun 20, 2020
Missing downloads folder

Hello, first amazing app. Best, app ever.

Now the problem, I am trying to track down the downloads folder, but it seems that I just can't find it.:(:confused::crying:

I checked the "Internal Storage/Pictures" folder for the "RedditWallpapers", but the folder doesn't exists (should I create it? If I reinstalled the app would it create it?) I also checked the "Downloads" folder.

I also tried using the folder icon on the "image history" screen, but it doesn't do anything. When I long press it says "Open Downloads Folder" (are those instructions or is the button supposed to actually open the folder? Can the long press toast actually provide the location it is supposed to be, maybe I can use my files app to go there myself?)

--------
*Device model: chiron Mi MIX 2 (lineage_chiron)
*Android OS Version: 29
*App Build: v3.11.1:f
--------

chibichuba

Dec 29, 2015
California, USA
Hello, first amazing app. Best, app ever.

Now the problem, I am trying to track down the downloads folder, but it seems that I just can't find it.:(:confused::crying:

I checked the "Internal Storage/Pictures" folder for the "RedditWallpapers", but the folder doesn't exists (should I create it? If I reinstalled the app would it create it?) I also checked the "Downloads" folder.

I also tried using the folder icon on the "image history" screen, but it doesn't do anything. When I long press it says "Open Downloads Folder" (are those instructions or is the button supposed to actually open the folder? Can the long press toast actually provide the location it is supposed to be, maybe I can use my files app to go there myself?)

--------
*Device model: chiron Mi MIX 2 (lineage_chiron)
*Android OS Version: 29
*App Build: v3.11.1:f
--------

The app should create the folder if it doesn't already exist, as long as the app already has Storage permission granted. If you're coming from a previous app version, double-check the permission in case it was disabled again. Another possibility is that since the app actually writes to 'getExternalFilesDir(Environment.DIRECTORY_PICTURES)', on certain devices may actually be on a different storage partition such as 'SD_CARD/Pictures' or similar.

Thanks for the suggestion for adding the path to the toast, I'll go ahead and improve this functionality as well as check if there are any bugs with finding the storage path.

Last edited:

classicLoner

Jun 20, 2020
The app should create the folder if it doesn't already exist, as long as the app already has Storage permission granted. If you're coming from a previous app version, double-check the permission in case it was disabled again. Another possibility is that since the app actually writes to 'getExternalFilesDir(Environment.DIRECTORY_PICTURES)', on certain devices may actually be on a different storage partition such as 'SD_CARD/Pictures' or similar.

Thanks for the suggestion for adding the path to the toast, I'll go ahead and improve this functionality as well as check if there are any bugs with finding the storage path.

Yes "storage" permission is allowed.
Is single pressing it supposed to open it?
Because right now it just as if it is non-responsive.

Can it create it if it doesn't exist and then open it?
________

In terms of the folder icon, any chance you are open to some functionality suggestions.

In terms of functionality it would be amazing if it had the following:
  • Open the folder in gallery app (user doesn't have to find it, can also create if doesn't exists)
  • Set the destination (User can change or create folder if doesn't exists)

Adding the "set destination" gives the added benefit of some customization and take care of any weird scenarios (could be a pro feature if you wish)

Possible idea: If pressing icon brings up a drawer (menu) from bottom, with the 2 above options.
(The above is a much bigger change and is not as simple as updating the toast)

Thanks @chibichuba

chibichuba

Dec 29, 2015
California, USA
UPDATE 3.11.2 (April 27, 2021)

New Features:
• Auto-download images - New option to automatically save wallpapers when they are applied (Pro)

Fixes & More:
• Improved duplicate image skipping (Checks last 15 applied)
• Fixed bug where last subreddit in list is never used
• Fixed "Force HD images" option using wrong calculation
• Image downloading will no longer save duplicates of the same file
• History items can now be individually deleted

Download Links:
>> Google Play Store

dgnuff

Oct 1, 2015
Great App, I just wish I'd found it sooner.

One suggestion. As it is right now I can select "Daily" for my updates, which is my choice, except it looks like it sets it so it'll do the updates every day at the time I select that option. I'd like the update to happen at 3:00 AM so I get a new wallpaper every day. The only way I could do that is to make the selection at 3:00 AM one morning, which I'm not really excited about doing. I'm usually snuggled up in bed at that time. :)

Would it be possible to add an option to set the time of the next update, that would let me set it to 3:00 AM the following day, and it would just "work right" from then on.

This is something of a "scaled back" version of quiet hours, which might be useful if the full version of that feature doesn't get done.

-- Edit --

I just figured a way to do this in for now. I just disabled automatic time updates, set the time to 3:00 AM, scheduled the daily update, turned automatic time updates back on, and job-done. Not pretty, but it works.

Last edited:

crono141

Jan 4, 2011
West Columbia, SC
I have a feature request. I primarily use my device in landscape, so I really appreciate you having a preferred landscape mode and also the cropping option. My problem is that the subreddits I pull images from primarily have portrait pictures, so my selection is very small. When I uncheck prefer landscape and keep crop on, portrait pictures show only the top portion of the pic, filling the horizontal orientation and cropping the rest. If I turn crop off I get the same result, except now the display is centered on the middle of the picture.

Is it possible to fit the image vertically and apply black bars on the sides of the image so that the full image can be displayed?

ivigneshwaran

Jun 11, 2019
mumbai
OnePlus 9 Pro
cpRax8S.png

Automatically cycle your wallpapers from any Subreddits you choose - with custom schedules, filters, shortcuts, and presets.

Latest Version:
April 27, 2021 -- v3.11.2

Features:
  • Custom auto-update schedules
  • Multi-subreddit support
  • Different subreddits for homescreen/lockscreen
  • Group subreddits for easy-switching (Presets)
  • Wallpaper history & saving images to storage
  • Blur, darken, grayscale, and crop images automatically
  • Sort by Hot/Top/New, NSFW, or post upvote count
  • Image resolution filtering
  • Tasker & Nova Launcher Integration
  • Rules for battery level and network status
  • App Dark Mode
    ...and many more

Download:
Play Store Link

Screenshots:

Even if you're not a Redditor, the app includes presets grouping the most popular image subreddits. There's probably a wallpaper category for any category you can think of.

The app is designed with battery and performance in mind, so the app only runs when it needs to update a wallpaper and manages its own footprint.
doesn't work for me

crono141

Jan 4, 2011
West Columbia, SC
The app has broken in the last 2 days or so. I think reddit made a change to their API or something. Getting a "No Response from Reddit..." error/notification when it tries to switch. Verified that there is no network problem. There is a thread on the rwallpaperchanger subreddit from other users with the same trouble as well.

zakee94

Apr 4, 2015
The app has broken in the last 2 days or so. I think reddit made a change to their API or something. Getting a "No Response from Reddit..." error/notification when it tries to switch. Verified that there is no network problem. There is a thread on the rwallpaperchanger subreddit from other users with the same trouble as well.
+1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    cpRax8S.png

Automatically cycle your wallpapers from any Subreddits you choose - with custom schedules, filters, shortcuts, and presets.

Latest Version:
    April 27, 2021 -- v3.11.2

Features:
    • Custom auto-update schedules
    • Multi-subreddit support
    • Different subreddits for homescreen/lockscreen
    • Group subreddits for easy-switching (Presets)
    • Wallpaper history & saving images to storage
    • Blur, darken, grayscale, and crop images automatically
    • Sort by Hot/Top/New, NSFW, or post upvote count
    • Image resolution filtering
    • Tasker & Nova Launcher Integration
    • Rules for battery level and network status
    • App Dark Mode
      ...and many more

Download:
    Play Store Link

Screenshots:

main1.jpg
    sched.jpg

img_fx1.jpg
    history.jpg

Even if you're not a Redditor, the app includes presets grouping the most popular image subreddits. There's probably a wallpaper category for any category you can think of.

The app is designed with battery and performance in mind, so the app only runs when it needs to update a wallpaper and manages its own footprint.
    @chibichuba (and @nightfireblaze8, @cheemacool) I Either fixed this issue, or encountered another issue much like this one. I jumped into adb and started debugging. Of note, is this snippet of code

--------- beginning of crash
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: main
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: Process: com.android.systemui, PID: 1517
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: java.lang.RuntimeException: Canvas: trying to draw too large(140247040bytes) bitmap.
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at android.view.DisplayListCanvas.throwIfCannotDraw(DisplayListCanvas.java:229)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at android.view.RecordingCanvas.drawBitmap(RecordingCanvas.java:124)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at com.android.systemui.ImageWallpaper$DrawableEngine.drawWallpaperWithCanvas(ImageWallpaper.java:510)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at com.android.systemui.ImageWallpaper$DrawableEngine.drawFrame(ImageWallpaper.java:340)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at com.android.systemui.ImageWallpaper$DrawableEngine.onSurfaceRedrawNeeded(ImageWallpaper.java:256)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at android.service.wallpaper.WallpaperService$Engine.updateSurface(WallpaperService.java:944)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at android.service.wallpaper.WallpaperService$Engine.attach(WallpaperService.java:1020)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at android.service.wallpaper.WallpaperService$IWallpaperEngineWrapper.executeMessage(WallpaperService.java:1343)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at com.android.internal.os.HandlerCaller$MyHandler.handleMessage(HandlerCaller.java:37)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:106)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:193)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:6718)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:493)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:858)
    03-07 09:48:31.077 1517 1517 I Process : Sending signal. PID: 1517 SIG: 9

Somewhere in the developer docs, it talks about max canvas size ( I just don't remember where). I ran into this issue previously in a project. So - I got too high rez of an image from reddit, the app stuck it into system, and that caused the systemui to freak out. Given that this is systemui - android basically went out into the weeds and shot itself. I like your program, but I'd recommend checking the file size/resolution and the resizing the image if it goes past to the max size/resolution allowed.

In the interm, to get the phone out of the forced reboots, I renamed /data/system/users/0/wallpaper and /data/system/users/0/wallpaper_lock to different names, and the phone came back.

I also tried joining the beta, and was unable to.
    UPDATE 3.10 (Dec 26, 2019)

>> Play Store Download (Rolling out, may take a few hours after this post)
    >> XDA Labs Download (Live)

• Rebuilt auto-update system - Now updates wallpapers more reliably
    • Option to skip recent wallpapers to prevent duplicates
    • Android Q (10.0) compatibility
    • Improved sticky notification
    • Fixed Quick Settings tile, and many other bugs
    • More UI tweaks to prepare for future redesign

Extra notes:
    - '1 minute' update frequency has been replaced with '15 minutes' for 2 reasons: Reddit API policy, and WorkRequest SDK limitations in the background service rework.
    - Tasker users: Wallpaper updates will no longer consider network and battery conditions when triggering via Tasker, in case you wanted to override them.
    A brief preview of the incoming update:

4aDKOrE.jpg
    37KKKJP.jpg