Question Redmi 9T with NVT-ts touch screen unresponsive with custom ROMs

Search This thread
Oct 3, 2021
Hello.
I have been trying to get a custom rom flashed on my Redmi 9T the past two days.
The problem I am facing is that the touch screen is not responsive with the flashed ROMs that I have tried.
ROMs I have tried:
  1. PixelPlusUI_3.9_juice-11.0-20210912-1736-OFFICIAL
  2. LegionOS-v3.13-juice-20210922-OFFICIAL-GAPPS
  3. Arrow-v11.0-juice-COMMUNITY-20210809-GAPPS
  4. crDroidAndroid-11.0-20210927-juice-v7.10

What did make the touch screen work was to flash "boot.img" from one of the android 11 builds of MIUI such as "xiaomi.eu_multi_HMNote94G_HM9T_POCOM3_21.9.8_v12-11" or "xiaomi.eu_multi_HMNote94G_HM9T_POCO_M3_21.5.27_v12-11" after flashing the custom ROM, but this resulted in "Sytem UI" crashing and wifi not working. There were probably other things that didn't work but I can't have a phone without WiFi so this was not a solution for me.

After looking into what "boot.img" contains, it seems like it contains the kernel and other important system related components.I then tried to flash the following kernels over a new install of the custom ROMs "crDroid" and "PixelPlusUI 3.9":
  1. StormBreaker-lime-r3-0909-0545
  2. CartelProject-lime-BETA-20210915-07
  3. Optimus_Drunk_Citrus_v11.1

But they did not help with getting the touch screen to work.
I also tried a combination of a "boot.img" from an offical android 11 EU MIUI ROM and these three kernels in the hope that I would keep the touch screen fix from "boot.img" and get wifi from the kernels, however every time the kernel was flashed the touch screen stopped working.

This leads me to believe the kernel itself makes the touch screen not work, and other things from the "boot.img" make the WiFi stop working.
So I have a few questions I hope someone can answer:
  • When do you think Xiaomi will release the source-code for the android 11 kernels that they use in their new MIUI ROMs? As I don't know their release cycles.
  • When will the firmware for the NVT-ts touchscreen version of Redmi 9T be added to custom kernels?
  • Is there a way for me to extract the Android 11 MIUI kernel from "boot.img" and flash ONLY that, if that fixes my touchscreen and does not break my WiFi? (If this is legal/allowed/possible)
I don't know anything about android development so if I am wrong please correct me.

Thank you in advance.

Atanassoww

May 14, 2019
Bulgaria
1.Download an official firmware, boot your device into your Fastboot Mode with Power+Volume Down Button connect your device to your pc and launch the flash_all.bat

When the flash is completed go to the Stock Recovery with Power Button+Volume Up Button, clean the data and wait your device to boot. When your device booted setting it up and enable USB Debugging from the Developer Tools.

2. Now boot your device to Fastboot Mode using Power Button+Volume Down and try to Flash TWRP or OrangeFOX.

3. Boot your device into Recovery using Power Button+Volume Up

4. Now make a CLEAN FLASH:
Format Data
Flash latest MIUI Weekly
Flash ROM zip
Flash Gapps (for Vanilla build)
Format Data
Reboot System,
Enjoy!

MIUI Weekly Firmware (Lime):​

Download

Fastboot Firmware tgz:​

Download

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 3, 2021
1.Download an official firmware, boot your device into your Fastboot Mode with Power+Volume Down Button connect your device to your pc and launch the flash_all.bat

When the flash is completed go to the Stock Recovery with Power Button+Volume Up Button, clean the data and wait your device to boot. When your device booted setting it up and enable USB Debugging from the Developer Tools.

2. Now boot your device to Fastboot Mode using Power Button+Volume Down and try to Flash TWRP or OrangeFOX.

Format Data
Flash latest MIUI Weekly
Flash ROM zip
Format Data
Reboot System,
Enjoy!

Download

Download

Thank you for the reply.
However I believe that this is what I did do when I set up the phone with the ROMs.

I still tried to do it exactly as you explained, however this did not work.
I got into a bootloop after flashing firmware through fastboot, even if I cleaned the data using recovery. I tried the Recovery version of the firmware and this worked fine so after that I followed your tutorial just as you described.
This still didn't work, when booted into the Custom ROM the touch screen was still not working at all.

In the meanwhile I found this blog-post:
Where he states and I quote: "Phones with nt36672d display isn’t supported yet." this was posted August 11, 2021.
I don't know who he is or how he knows that.

I am pretty sure it's a kernel problem or firmware or something, regarding the screen being NVT-ts and probably the "nt36672d" variant.
This makes me very sad.

Atanassoww

May 14, 2019
Bulgaria
Thank you for the reply.
However I believe that this is what I did do when I set up the phone with the ROMs.

I still tried to do it exactly as you explained, however this did not work.
I got into a bootloop after flashing firmware through fastboot, even if I cleaned the data using recovery. I tried the Recovery version of the firmware and this worked fine so after that I followed your tutorial just as you described.
This still didn't work, when booted into the Custom ROM the touch screen was still not working at all.

In the meanwhile I found this blog-post:
Where he states and I quote: "Phones with nt36672d display isn’t supported yet." this was posted August 11, 2021.
I don't know who he is or how he knows that.

I am pretty sure it's a kernel problem or firmware or something, regarding the screen being NVT-ts and probably the "nt36672d" variant.
This makes me very sad.
I found this in 4pda:
Quote a reply: Yes, I had the same thing. By the way, if we are talking about OrangeFox recovery, which did not start at all, then it was necessary to use a newer version, I found a link to a google drive on the xda forum, it did not start there.

And on the touch, I also tried 2 custom firmware on them, everything started, but the touch did not work in principle. Only on off or lightweight everyone and on xiaomi.eu worked. I suppose the same case, but I can refine it when the phone is sent back.

ps: Due to freezes and rebots - in the service they changed the motherboard in the end, I'm waiting for the parcel now.

Oct 3, 2021
Its indeed an kernel issue, there's ( at least) two screen revisions from two different vendors
I see, so my assumption was correct. Thank you for clarifying.
Do you know how often Xiaomi (or if they will at all) release firmware/kernel source codes, and do you know if custom kernel makers/Custom ROM makers, will actually update their kernels/ROMs to use this in the future?
And is there a way/place for me to keep updated on if Xiaomi releases the needed firmware/sourcecode for this display, so that I can ask ROM makers/Kernel makers nicely to add the firmware, assuming they don't know about this issue?

I found this in 4pda:
Quote a reply: Yes, I had the same thing. By the way, if we are talking about OrangeFox recovery, which did not start at all, then it was necessary to use a newer version, I found a link to a google drive on the xda forum, it did not start there.

And on the touch, I also tried 2 custom firmware on them, everything started, but the touch did not work in principle. Only on off or lightweight everyone and on xiaomi.eu worked. I suppose the same case, but I can refine it when the phone is sent back.

ps: Due to freezes and rebots - in the service they changed the motherboard in the end, I'm waiting for the parcel now.
So you have the same problem? I'm not sure I understand what you mean here, aside from the touchscreen not working for you either due to this weird display model.

Atanassoww

May 14, 2019
Bulgaria
I see, so my assumption was correct. Thank you for clarifying.
Do you know how often Xiaomi (or if they will at all) release firmware/kernel source codes, and do you know if custom kernel makers/Custom ROM makers, will actually update their kernels/ROMs to use this in the future?
And is there a way/place for me to keep updated on if Xiaomi releases the needed firmware/sourcecode for this display, so that I can ask ROM makers/Kernel makers nicely to add the firmware, assuming they don't know about this issue?

So you have the same problem? I'm not sure I understand what you mean here, aside from the touchscreen not working for you either due to this weird display model.
Yes or is not Supported right now..

Oct 3, 2021
This is just a small update with a possible fix that I haven't tried yet because I'm tired of flashing ROMs all day, I will try it later if I get the motivation to do so. I post this because someone else might have the energy to test this themselves. If I test this I will update this post with an edit or bump this thread.

I Found on a forum called 4PDA where a user by the name "Void_dp" talks about a Xiaomi Redmi 9T with a nt36672d display. The forum is in Russian, but use a translator if you are interested. It is the post this url links to:

I do not know if the website itself or this user is trustworthy or correct, so try this with caution and I am not responsible for anything you decide to do or happens to you or your computer, or phone.

In short he explains that crDroid 7.9 (7.10 is the current version, and is the one I tried) use a different kernel than the Stormbreaker kernel than crDroid 7.10 uses.
He says if you have crDroid 7.10 installed you have to format data before trying this.
1. Download crDroid 7.9 and crDroid 7.10
2. Get the "boot.img" from the crDroid 7.9 rom and extract it
3. Open the zip file for crDroid 7.10 (do not extract anything) and replace the "boot.img" (7.10 version) with the one you just extracted (7.9 version)
4. Do a clean flash with this modified ROM you just made.

That is all he said, but if it doesn't work my first thought is to try the original crDroid 7.9 rom, if you don't care about running the latest update. This is probably not smart in relation to security patches and stuff like that. I take no responsibility for whatever happens.

Additional information:
I checked the Changelog for the crDroid roms, and they changed the kernel from "Optimus Drunk kernel 11.0" to "Stormbreaker" when they upgraded their ROMs version from 7.9 to 7.10.
I tried using the "Optimus Drunk kernel 11.1" kernel in my trial and error with the ROMs without luck, so I will try to flash some roms together with the "Optimus Drunk kernel 11.0" if I can find it.

Link to crDroid ROM for Redmi 9t:

hamid_dabouz

Aug 22, 2021
This is just a small update with a possible fix that I haven't tried yet because I'm tired of flashing ROMs all day, I will try it later if I get the motivation to do so. I post this because someone else might have the energy to test this themselves. If I test this I will update this post with an edit or bump this thread.

I Found on a forum called 4PDA where a user by the name "Void_dp" talks about a Xiaomi Redmi 9T with a nt36672d display. The forum is in Russian, but use a translator if you are interested. It is the post this url links to:

I do not know if the website itself or this user is trustworthy or correct, so try this with caution and I am not responsible for anything you decide to do or happens to you or your computer, or phone.

In short he explains that crDroid 7.9 (7.10 is the current version, and is the one I tried) use a different kernel than the Stormbreaker kernel than crDroid 7.10 uses.
He says if you have crDroid 7.10 installed you have to format data before trying this.
1. Download crDroid 7.9 and crDroid 7.10
2. Get the "boot.img" from the crDroid 7.9 rom and extract it
3. Open the zip file for crDroid 7.10 (do not extract anything) and replace the "boot.img" (7.10 version) with the one you just extracted (7.9 version)
4. Do a clean flash with this modified ROM you just made.

That is all he said, but if it doesn't work my first thought is to try the original crDroid 7.9 rom, if you don't care about running the latest update. This is probably not smart in relation to security patches and stuff like that. I take no responsibility for whatever happens.

Additional information:
I checked the Changelog for the crDroid roms, and they changed the kernel from "Optimus Drunk kernel 11.0" to "Stormbreaker" when they upgraded their ROMs version from 7.9 to 7.10.
I tried using the "Optimus Drunk kernel 11.1" kernel in my trial and error with the ROMs without luck, so I will try to flash some roms together with the "Optimus Drunk kernel 11.0" if I can find it.

Link to crDroid ROM for Redmi 9t:
I DIDN't work for me, I got a bootloop, maybe it will work for u 🤷‍♂️

Oct 3, 2021
I DIDN't work for me, I got a bootloop, maybe it will work for u 🤷‍♂️
Thats sad to hear, this phone is a nightmare. I haven't tried this yet, maybe I will try this weekend.
I'm wondering though, did you FORMAT data after flashing?
By bootloop, which of these do you mean:
That it never enters the "loading phase" of the OS (Android/rom splash screen)
That it gets stuck and restarts in the "loading phase" of the OS (Android/rom splash screen)
That it just kicks you to recovery/fastboot over and over again, without showing the OS loading screen
Or something else?

Atanassoww

May 14, 2019
Bulgaria
Thats sad to hear, this phone is a nightmare. I haven't tried this yet, maybe I will try this weekend.
I'm wondering though, did you FORMAT data after flashing?
By bootloop, which of these do you mean:
That it never enters the "loading phase" of the OS (Android/rom splash screen)
That it gets stuck and restarts in the "loading phase" of the OS (Android/rom splash screen)
That it just kicks you to recovery/fastboot over and over again, without showing the OS loading screen
Or something else?
Ohh Jeesus...🙄

superdragonpt

Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2013
Lisbon / Taiwan / USA
www.caixamagica.pt
OK I just got my t9, and started the BL unlock, unfortunately I still need to wait ~ 1 week.
So I can't do testing at the moment

My unit has this very same touch screen, so seems I will likely have this same issue in the future.

I took a look at the kernel source provided by Xiaomi ( android 10 only)
And this touch variant isn't there in the defconfig
since the same kernel is used by 4 devices ( including t9, poco m3,etc )

I took the opportunity to check the few custom kernels that already exist for poco M3, and you guys should definitely try the poco m3 " stormbreaker" kernel, since it includes more TP drivers and the correct loading of both Novatek's TP drivers firmware

Cheers

hamid_dabouz

Aug 22, 2021
OK I just got my t9, and started the BL unlock, unfortunately I still need to wait ~ 1 week.

My unit has this very same touch screen, so seems I will likely have this same issue in the future.

I took the opportunity to check the few custom kernels that already exist for poco M3, and you guys should definitely try the poco m3 " stormbreaker" kernel, since it includes more TP drivers and the correct loading of both Novatek's TP drivers firmware

Cheers
Thank you for respond, But i already flashed Two versions of " stormbreaker"kernel one of them worked but the touch is going insane, if you clicked on somewhere on the screen it will respond in other place of the screen ( i hope you understand what i'm saying)

superdragonpt

Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2013
Lisbon / Taiwan / USA
www.caixamagica.pt
Thank you for respond, But i already flashed Two versions of " stormbreaker"kernel one of them worked but the touch is going insane, if you clicked on somewhere on the screen it will respond in other place of the screen ( i hope you understand what i'm saying)
Oh i see...

Well since the weekly MIUI EU a11 ROMs seems to work alright ( as per the users feedback) , perhaps this can be easily fixed.

Just a matter of extracting from those android 11 kernel the DTB, and convert dtb to dts and the touch firmware loading binary and fix the kernel entries.
Assuming that the tp driver is the same or similar, and the issue is just the firmware blob and DTS

Let's see
Cheers

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021
Why that reaction? I am here to learn and try to solve my problem, if you have any advice please elaborate on why what I said was wrong or dumb so I won't make the same mistake again.

Cheers
I will maybe try the Stormbreaker kernel for Poco M3 this weekend as well then to check it out.

Oh i see...

Well since the weekly MIUI EU a11 ROMs seems to work alright ( as per the users feedback) , perhaps this can be easily fixed.

Just a matter of extracting from those android 11 kernel the DTB, and convert dtb to dts and the touch firmware loading binary and fix the kernel entries.
Assuming that the tp driver is the same or similar, and the issue is just the firmware blob and DTS

Let's see
Cheers
Thank you for this informative answer, do I take it as this is something you will look into? If I can help by using adb or something, to get information from my phone just tell me what to do.

Oct 3, 2021
Oh i see...

Let's see
Cheers
Is this the extract you were talking about? It has the firmware for the touchscreens and everything for android 11. but it is for the Chinese version, so I don't know if that matters.
I don't know if this is relevant but I thought I would share it since I found it. Someone smarter than me can maybe use it to make the touchscreen work.

bogteo

Nov 26, 2021
I fix dt2w on Xtended custom rom. Replace kernel and flash Magisk extension. I don.t try others roms....

bogteo

Nov 26, 2021
Is this the extract you were talking about? It has the firmware for the touchscreens and everything for android 11. but it is for the Chinese version, so I don't know if that matters.
I don't know if this is relevant but I thought I would share it since I found it. Someone smarter than me can maybe use it to make the touchscreen work.
Hello.
I have been trying to get a custom rom flashed on my Redmi 9T the past two days.
The problem I am facing is that the touch screen is not responsive with the flashed ROMs that I have tried.
ROMs I have tried:
  1. PixelPlusUI_3.9_juice-11.0-20210912-1736-OFFICIAL
  2. LegionOS-v3.13-juice-20210922-OFFICIAL-GAPPS
  3. Arrow-v11.0-juice-COMMUNITY-20210809-GAPPS
  4. crDroidAndroid-11.0-20210927-juice-v7.10

What did make the touch screen work was to flash "boot.img" from one of the android 11 builds of MIUI such as "xiaomi.eu_multi_HMNote94G_HM9T_POCOM3_21.9.8_v12-11" or "xiaomi.eu_multi_HMNote94G_HM9T_POCO_M3_21.5.27_v12-11" after flashing the custom ROM, but this resulted in "Sytem UI" crashing and wifi not working. There were probably other things that didn't work but I can't have a phone without WiFi so this was not a solution for me.

After looking into what "boot.img" contains, it seems like it contains the kernel and other important system related components.I then tried to flash the following kernels over a new install of the custom ROMs "crDroid" and "PixelPlusUI 3.9":
  1. StormBreaker-lime-r3-0909-0545
  2. CartelProject-lime-BETA-20210915-07
  3. Optimus_Drunk_Citrus_v11.1

But they did not help with getting the touch screen to work.
I also tried a combination of a "boot.img" from an offical android 11 EU MIUI ROM and these three kernels in the hope that I would keep the touch screen fix from "boot.img" and get wifi from the kernels, however every time the kernel was flashed the touch screen stopped working.

This leads me to believe the kernel itself makes the touch screen not work, and other things from the "boot.img" make the WiFi stop working.
So I have a few questions I hope someone can answer:
  • When do you think Xiaomi will release the source-code for the android 11 kernels that they use in their new MIUI ROMs? As I don't know their release cycles.
  • When will the firmware for the NVT-ts touchscreen version of Redmi 9T be added to custom kernels?
  • Is there a way for me to extract the Android 11 MIUI kernel from "boot.img" and flash ONLY that, if that fixes my touchscreen and does not break my WiFi? (If this is legal/allowed/possible)
I don't know anything about android development so if I am wrong please correct me.

Thank you in advance.

Format Data
Flash latest MIUI Weekly
Flash ROM zip
Format Data
Reboot System,
Enjoy!

Download

Downl

petit minion

Nov 21, 2021
I tried with crdroid 7.9 without success. still cannot use the touchscreen
m210j19sy I began with global miui rom

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oh i see...

Let's see
    Cheers
    I fix dt2w on Xtended custom rom. Replace kernel and flash Magisk extension. I don.t try others roms....
    Please can you explain more ?
    I tried to install crdroid 7.9 without success. I endup in a bootloop
    FOR JUICE!
    1. Reflash the Firmware using MiFlash (From clean all and lock, change it to clean all Only)
    2. Boot your device to Fastboot mode and Connect your device again to the PC
    3. Download Minimal ADB and Fastboot and Install it, as follow the Instructions.
    4. Download the OrangeFOX Recovery, download the Xiaomi.eu Rom, and download your Favourite Custom Rom.
    5.Go to the Directory of Minimal ADB and Fastboot ----> C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot
    and paste the recovery.img from the Archive in the Directory of Minimal ADB and Fastboot
    6. Launch the Minimal ADB and Fastboot.exe Shotcut from the Desktop and type these commands:
    1. Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    2. If you want to reboot the device Fast type Fastboot reboot
    7. Boot the device to the OrangeFOX Recovery, go to the Menu and open the Settings
    8. From the Settings select General and uncheck Mount system and vendor read-only
    9. Important! To install Successfully the Rom u need first to format the Data, go to Wipe section, select Format Data, type yes and Confirm.
    10. Disconnect the Phone, connect it again to the USB and drag the Xiaomi.eu rom zip and the Custom Rom zip to the Phone
    11. First u need to Install the Xiaomi.eu Rom zip
    this is Important!
    12. When the flashing of the Xiaomi.eu Rom zip is Complete, u can flash your Favourite Custom Rom
    13 Final Step: Format the Data with typing Yes again and Reboot the device, Enjoy! :)

Xiaomi.eu WEEKLY 21.11.24 Rom: Download
    Minimal ADB and Fastboot: Download
    CrDroid 7.12 Official: Download
    I just got my Redmi 9T (identifies as "lime") last week, been looking around to see what ROMs are available for it so far..

but, reading through this thread, I'm a little concerned now.. can someone perhaps clarify: how do I check which touch screen panel my device has?
    Download device info hw from play store