Redmi Note 4: TWRP Recovery of Stock ROM and Unlocking after relock

Search This thread

n.dnivra

Dec 17, 2016
I have extensively searched this forum and couldn't find to answers to the following!
Looking for experts to guide..

Query #1: TWRP Backup of Stock ROM causes bootloop!

I had unlocked Bootloader of Redmi Note 4 and used temporary TWRP (fastboot boot twrp.img) to take a backup of stock ROM and found that the device cannot boot back into Stock ROM.
I had tried to restore 'boot.img' using the TWRP stock ROM backup (and also from downloaded stock ROM) but that didnt help.
Same problem seen in Redmi 4 as well.
When booted to TWRP using fastboot boot (without flashing), in which partition TWRP is stored (boot or cache)?
After I had booted into TWRP (without flashing), is the backup of boot partition that I took still a stock version one?

Query #2: Relocking and unlocking Bootloader
I had unlocked bootloader using the MiFlash unlock tool (miflash_unlock-en-3.5.1108.44).
If I relock the bootloader using the MiFlash tool, would I need MiFlash unlock tool again to unlock or would 'fastboot flashing unlock' work?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Mr_Kat

Jul 21, 2020
I have extensively searched this forum and couldn't find to answers to the following!
Looking for experts to guide..

Query #1: TWRP Backup of Stock ROM causes bootloop!

I had unlocked Bootloader of Redmi Note 4 and used temporary TWRP (fastboot boot twrp.img) to take a backup of stock ROM and found that the device cannot boot back into Stock ROM.
I had tried to restore 'boot.img' using the TWRP stock ROM backup (and also from downloaded stock ROM) but that didnt help.
Same problem seen in Redmi 4 as well.
When booted to TWRP using fastboot boot (without flashing), in which partition TWRP is stored (boot or cache)?
After I had booted into TWRP (without flashing), is the backup of boot partition that I took still a stock version one?

Query #2: Relocking and unlocking Bootloader
I had unlocked bootloader using the MiFlash unlock tool (miflash_unlock-en-3.5.1108.44).
If I relock the bootloader using the MiFlash tool, would I need MiFlash unlock tool again to unlock or would 'fastboot flashing unlock' work?

Thank you!
1. That bootloop *probably* happened because you swiped the "allow modification option" in twrp.

(One more advice : in twrp backup you should backup the "system image" and "vendor image" not the "system" and "vendor", If you don't want bootloop after restoring. (Or If you got a bootloop already flash that verity removal zip)

2. You will need mi unlock again.