Redmi Note 7 Pro(Violet) Bootloader Unlocking, flashing twrp and root tutorial

Search This thread

RedBody_90sJam

Sep 12, 2015
Kolkata
**I am not responsible for anything that may happen to your phone as a result of installing any roms and kernels or due to following this guide. You do so at your own risk and take the responsibility upon yourself**

This Guide is accurate and updated to help you unlock your bootloader and flash custom recovery like twrp.

But before you get started, please back up all your important data and make sure that your battery is charged at least 60% or else it may get your device bricked.

Requirements: All the drivers mentioned below, Windows PC, cable, Redmi Note 7 Pro and some general knowledge obviously ;)

Step by Step: Official Unlock Process
1> Disable driver signature enforcement in Windows(Just in case)

If your computer doesn’t recognize Xiaomi drivers then please disable driver signature enforcement. How to do this please read here: http://en.miui.com/thread-237673-1-1.html

2> Install ADB and Fastboot tools with drivers on Windows

How to install adb and fastboot please read here: Click Here

How to install Mi drivers- Click Here (Optional, Just in case)

3> Enable "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging" in your device

a. Enable Developer Options in: Settings/About Phone/MIUI version. Click on MIUI version seven times
b. Now go to: Settings/Additional Settings/Developer Options and check "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging"

4> Connect your phone to PC via USB cable and wait for a minute or 2 to make sure your PC install Redmi specific drivers and after that open cmd by searching or press "Windows+X" and open PowerShell and type "adb devices" and then check your phone for any prompt and press "Yes" or "Allow" and also tick the check box that's says "Always allow for this computer" and after that it will display your phone's serial number in cmd. If it shows no devices found then that means you've missed a step. Follow all the steps properly and your device will appear there..

5> Check if your bootloader is locked

a> Type "adb reboot bootloader" and then your phone should enter fastboot with Mi bunny logo and in if it's doesn't then try this method- Turn off your phone, then enter the fastboot mode by holding together "Volume Down + Power" and then connect your device to your computer via USB cable (best would be the original cable)
b> Go to the folder where you have put the "ADB and Fastboot" and open a command window inside that folder. To do that hold together "Shift + Right Click" on any empty white space inside the folder and then select "Open PowerShell Window Here" or "Open Command Window Here"
c> Enter the terminal command in command line: "fastboot devices" and it should once again show your device..

If you don't see your device it means that the drivers weren't installed properly or the device wasn't connected properly. If this happens please reinstall your drivers again or try these drivers here(only install this if everything else fails):
http://xiaomiadvices.com/download-xiaomi-usb-drivers/

d> If you see your device then enter the terminal command in command line: "fastboot oem device-info"

If your bootloader is locked, you'll get the following status (or something similar):

…………………………………………………………………….
(bootloader) Device tampered: false
(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
(bootloader) Device critical unlocked: false
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: false
(bootloader) Display panel:
OKAY [ 0.058s]
finished. total time: 0.063s
………………………………………………………………………

If your bootloader is unlocked, you'll get following status (or something similar):

(bootloader) Device unlocked: true
(bootloader) Device critical unlocked: true
OKAY [ 0.053s]
finished. total time: 0.055s

6> Unlock the Bootloader

a> Create a Mi Account: https://global.account.xiaomi.com/pass/register
b> Connect your Mi Account to your Device-
Go to: Settings/Additional Settings/Developer Options/Mi Unlock status and check "Add account and device" and add the Mi account that you just created

Unlocking the bootloader will erase all your data! So please back up your data before you unlock the bootloader!

c> You must enable "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging"
d> You must connect your Mi Account with your device
e> Download Mi Unlock Tool here: http://en.miui.com/unlock/download_en.html
f> Install Mi unlock tool and launch it and after that it will ask for phone number that you used to create the Mi account. Type that and then get otp and type that as well and then it ask you to enter fastboot
g> Enter the fastboot mode by holding together "Volume Down + Power" and connect your device to your computer via USB cable (best would be the original cable)
h> Start the Unlock process
i> Follow the unlock tool instructions until the unlock procedure is finished or it may ask you to wait 72 hours or more. In that case wait till that period and then try unlocking again
j> Reboot your device

Is your bootloader actually unblocked?
To check this, go back to step 5.d and run the command or go to developer settings/Mi unlock status and you will see that your device is unlocked if you've followed this guide correctly..

Install the TWRP Recovery
Once you device is unlocked,
1> Boot your phone into Fastboot(you already know how to do that by now).
2> Then open a command prompt in the folder where twrp image file is located and connect your device to PC and run "fastboot devices"and it should show your device and then
3> Type "fastboot flash recovery twrp(type the actual name of twrp here). img"
4> Boot into recovery before rebooting and to do this, type- "fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1.0-violet.img" or "fastboot reboot recovery" or do it manually by holding "Volume up+Power"
Link for twrp- Not yet available. To be updated soon

Root Your Smartphone

First boot into your OS and then
Go to twrp/Install and select Magisk file and flash it and then reboot.
Now, you've successfully rooted your device.
Link for Magisk(Root)- Click Here

Install A Custom Firmware

Not yet available. To be updated soon.

Credits to xda and miui for useful links of drivers

If my guide helped you please click "thanks" and enjoy your custom roms

Last edited:

RedBody_90sJam

Sep 12, 2015
Kolkata
any word on a fastboot ROM being released yet?
There is no such thing as fastboot rom.. Any rom can be on installed via twrp or fastboot but fastboot process is difficult for newbies that's why people use twrp.. and did you really expect a rom this early?? Really? kindly wait and let everyone get a device first.. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: pa1shetty

Camlin3

Jun 28, 2016
There is no such thing as fastboot rom.. Any rom can be on installed via twrp or fastboot but fastboot process is difficult for newbies that's why people use twrp.. and did you really expect a rom this early?? Really? kindly wait and let everyone get a device first..
Generally xiaomi release both recovery and fastboot flashable rom simultaneously but fastboot rom pkg can be leaked from factory build .however recovery mode flashable Rom may be available thereafter ,also mi team aggressively builds and packs rom so both can be available at mi server but link not publically revealed .
You can rewrite a recovery flash updater script with fastboot partitions but absolutley cant use fastboot pkg as it is in recovery mode.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedBody_90sJam

Sep 12, 2015
Kolkata
Generally xiaomi release both recovery and fastboot flashable rom simultaneously but fastboot rom pkg can be leaked from factory build .however recovery mode flashable Rom may be available thereafter ,also mi team aggressively builds and packs rom so both can be available at mi server but link not publically revealed .
You can rewrite a recovery flash updater script with fastboot partitions but absolutley cant use fastboot pkg as it is in recovery mode.
That's stock miui rom.. stock roms always are fastboot and recovery supported and i get that.. And by fastboot rom if you mean leaked miui builds and xiaomi.eu rom, then they are once again stock firmware based and not really custom rom.. I only created this thread for clear guide on unlocking bootloader, twrp and installing custom rom.. So what's the point of name calling.. jeez.. peace out buddy..
My only objective is to get twrp up and running as soon as i get the device.. And device haven't even sold yet, not even in china.. So i standby by my point for everyone to kindly wait for a while.. flashing leaked builds and stuff like this is what gets devices bricked especially since note 7 has anti rollback enabled.. If the leaked build is downgraded than that firmware, even by small version number, device is bricked.. So i want everyone to be careful.. but if anybody wants to do that, then sure go right ahead.. it's your choice

munchy_cool

Apr 6, 2008
void (0)
That's stock miui rom.. stock roms always are fastboot and recovery supported and i get that.. And by fastboot rom if you mean leaked miui builds and xiaomi.eu rom, then they are once again stock firmware based and not really custom rom.. I only created this thread for clear guide on unlocking bootloader, twrp and installing custom rom.. So what's the point of name calling.. jeez.. peace out buddy..

FYI

Stock roms from Xiaomi come in two formats

1. a stock rom package which you can flash from recovery (twrp) or through system updater (aka choose update package). These are full stock roms (not OTAs). These cannot be flashed via fastboot or MiFlash tool. These have the actual market name of the device in the file name and can be found here.
https://en.miui.com/download.html

2. fastboot roms, these are full roms which need to be flashed either via fastboot or using MiFlash tool. these cannot be flashed using a recovery or system updater. These have the codename of the device in the file name.

Hope this clears your misconception.

RedBody_90sJam

Sep 12, 2015
Kolkata
FYI

Stock roms from Xiaomi come in two formats

1. a stock rom package which you can flash from recovery (twrp) or through system updater (aka choose update package). These are full stock roms (not OTAs). These cannot be flashed via fastboot or MiFlash tool. These have the actual market name of the device in the file name and can be found here.
https://en.miui.com/download.html

2. fastboot roms, these are full roms which need to be flashed either via fastboot or using MiFlash tool. these cannot be flashed using a recovery or system updater. These have the codename of the device in the file name.

Hope this clears your misconception.
I get it just fine.. fastboot roms that you say are also called factory images.. i get it.. When i mentioned stock miui is recovery and fastboot supported, I meant stock rom supporting both recovery and fastboot version but I'm not interested in miui so i wrote in shortcut and didn't write in detail like u did mentioning individual version cause I've no interest in miui so why write so much about it in this thread.. when i said any rom can be flashed via twrp or fastboot, I meant custom rom not memeUI/miui.. i never said anything about supporting miui or fastboot roms that you say.. i never mentioned anything about it so no point in attacking me over it.. Peace.. No hard feelings if you like miui.. I like aosp so i plan to support that only in this thread.. No more OT discussion.. No hard feelings once again.. I'd to keep discussion aosp related..

Reactions: pa1shetty

RedBody_90sJam

Sep 12, 2015
Kolkata
I've got a noobish question - would flashing a global rom on chinese/indian version of RN7 somehow enable global bands?
There are ways to enable lte bands by modifying nv files but still you won't get any signals in that band, not unless xiaomi themselves include the blobs required to enable those band and the antenna must be capable of accepting it as well.. So, short answer no unless one manages to get the right blob and hardware support..

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **I am not responsible for anything that may happen to your phone as a result of installing any roms and kernels or due to following this guide. You do so at your own risk and take the responsibility upon yourself**

This Guide is accurate and updated to help you unlock your bootloader and flash custom recovery like twrp.

But before you get started, please back up all your important data and make sure that your battery is charged at least 60% or else it may get your device bricked.

Requirements: All the drivers mentioned below, Windows PC, cable, Redmi Note 7 Pro and some general knowledge obviously ;)

Step by Step: Official Unlock Process
    1> Disable driver signature enforcement in Windows(Just in case)

If your computer doesn’t recognize Xiaomi drivers then please disable driver signature enforcement. How to do this please read here: http://en.miui.com/thread-237673-1-1.html

2> Install ADB and Fastboot tools with drivers on Windows

How to install adb and fastboot please read here: Click Here

How to install Mi drivers- Click Here (Optional, Just in case)

3> Enable "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging" in your device

a. Enable Developer Options in: Settings/About Phone/MIUI version. Click on MIUI version seven times
    b. Now go to: Settings/Additional Settings/Developer Options and check "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging"

4> Connect your phone to PC via USB cable and wait for a minute or 2 to make sure your PC install Redmi specific drivers and after that open cmd by searching or press "Windows+X" and open PowerShell and type "adb devices" and then check your phone for any prompt and press "Yes" or "Allow" and also tick the check box that's says "Always allow for this computer" and after that it will display your phone's serial number in cmd. If it shows no devices found then that means you've missed a step. Follow all the steps properly and your device will appear there..

5> Check if your bootloader is locked

a> Type "adb reboot bootloader" and then your phone should enter fastboot with Mi bunny logo and in if it's doesn't then try this method- Turn off your phone, then enter the fastboot mode by holding together "Volume Down + Power" and then connect your device to your computer via USB cable (best would be the original cable)
    b> Go to the folder where you have put the "ADB and Fastboot" and open a command window inside that folder. To do that hold together "Shift + Right Click" on any empty white space inside the folder and then select "Open PowerShell Window Here" or "Open Command Window Here"
    c> Enter the terminal command in command line: "fastboot devices" and it should once again show your device..

If you don't see your device it means that the drivers weren't installed properly or the device wasn't connected properly. If this happens please reinstall your drivers again or try these drivers here(only install this if everything else fails):
    http://xiaomiadvices.com/download-xiaomi-usb-drivers/

d> If you see your device then enter the terminal command in command line: "fastboot oem device-info"

If your bootloader is locked, you'll get the following status (or something similar):

(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
    (bootloader) Device critical unlocked: false
    OKAY [ 0.058s]
    finished. total time: 0.063s

If your bootloader is unlocked, you'll get following status (or something similar):

(bootloader) Device unlocked: true
    (bootloader) Device critical unlocked: true
    OKAY [ 0.053s]
    finished. total time: 0.055s

6> Unlock the Bootloader

a> Create a Mi Account: https://global.account.xiaomi.com/pass/register
    b> Connect your Mi Account to your Device-
    Go to: Settings/Additional Settings/Developer Options/Mi Unlock status and check "Add account and device" and add the Mi account that you just created

Unlocking the bootloader will erase all your data! So please back up your data before you unlock the bootloader!

c> You must enable "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging"
    d> You must connect your Mi Account with your device
    e> Download Mi Unlock Tool here: http://en.miui.com/unlock/download_en.html
    f> Install Mi unlock tool and launch it and after that it will ask for phone number that you used to create the Mi account. Type that and then get otp and type that as well and then it ask you to enter fastboot
    g> Enter the fastboot mode by holding together "Volume Down + Power" and connect your device to your computer via USB cable (best would be the original cable)
    h> Start the Unlock process
    i> Follow the unlock tool instructions until the unlock procedure is finished or it may ask you to wait 72 hours or more. In that case wait till that period and then try unlocking again
    j> Reboot your device

Is your bootloader actually unblocked?
    To check this, go back to step 5.d and run the command or go to developer settings/Mi unlock status and you will see that your device is unlocked if you've followed this guide correctly..

Install the TWRP Recovery
    Once you device is unlocked,
    1> Boot your phone into Fastboot(you already know how to do that by now).
    2> Then open a command prompt in the folder where twrp image file is located and connect your device to PC and run "fastboot devices"and it should show your device and then
    3> Type "fastboot flash recovery twrp(type the actual name of twrp here). img"
    4> Boot into recovery before rebooting and to do this, type- "fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1.0-violet.img" or "fastboot reboot recovery" or do it manually by holding "Volume up+Power"
    Link for twrp- Not yet available. To be updated soon

Root Your Smartphone

First boot into your OS and then
    Go to twrp/Install and select Magisk file and flash it and then reboot.
    Now, you've successfully rooted your device.
    Link for Magisk(Root)- Click Here

Install A Custom Firmware

Not yet available. To be updated soon.

Credits to xda and miui for useful links of drivers

If my guide helped you please click "thanks" and enjoy your custom roms
    There is no such thing as fastboot rom.. Any rom can be on installed via twrp or fastboot but fastboot process is difficult for newbies that's why people use twrp.. and did you really expect a rom this early?? Really? kindly wait and let everyone get a device first..
    Great to hear! By the way who is Peter? Peter who? And did you face any other issues that you had which by now are fixed? Any reboot issue or with touch-screen? Are there any common problems that are not fixed yet? If there are then would be great to know.
    Petercxy is the developer who made a custom version of TWRP, which allowed the system to decrypt with your password instead of formatting it (u had to format on the official one). Here's the link (https://xdaforums.com/redmi-note-7-pro/development/unofficial-twrp-3-3-1-proper-t3933531).
    Rooting or unlocking your bootloader won't affect the screen or cause any issues, such problems only happen when you mess around and make dangerous critical changes (like flashing incompatible ROMS and such). If you use Magisk to root you can pass the SafetyNet and use MagiskHide to hide your root from Google Playstore otherwise some banking apps and apps like Netflix won't work.
    Well, has anyone actually successfully rooted so that it is all working great? (I am consider buying one and I have to root it in a way that 99% of features will work after rooting. I don't care even some minor camera bugs like some delay or lag at times, like, this is minor. But would be big problem if Bluetooth had some issues for instance.)
    Ya, followed every step here, unlocked, flashed Peter twrp, rooted and flashed EU Rom, everything fine
    how do i know if it has unlocking permissions? also, i did the "add account and device" in the MI Unlock Status window, but the button remains and i can click it as many times as i want and it adds the same account over and over. my account shows up in mi account wherever and find my device and sync are on, i just want to make sure im on the right path here, cuz a 15 day wait.
    You can follow this video
    When you login to miflashtool, it says checking if the account has unlocking permissions. If your account does have unlocking permissions, you should be able to proceed further as shown in the video and an error will be shown at 99% telling you the number of hours you have to wait before unlocking, if it does not move past the checking if account has unlocking permissions or shows some error at that step, then you need to apply for unlocking permissions. Remember, the mi account you use for logging in to these services should be the same as the one on your device.