Redmi Note 8 Pro: Custom Recovery Won't Boot.

Search This thread

electric fish

Feb 17, 2020
Hello!

This is my first time trying to install a custom recovery.
I tried installing TWRP with no success...
for some weird reason, it just won't boot into TWRP or anything else... not even OrangeFox.

Here is what i've done:
- Unlocked the bootloader using the official Xiaomi unlock tool (which took a whole week :/)
- Downloaded the official TWRP img from here: https://dl.twrp.me/begonia/twrp-3.6.0_9-0-begonia.img.html
- Flashed it using fastboot flash recovery twrp.img while the phone was in fastboot mode

The flash was successful according to the fastboot terminal, on the phone screen it was fine as well with no errors.

When trying to boot to recovery, the phone hangs on a black screen for a few seconds, and then restarts until i release the volume up button.
I have tried OrangeFox as well, and got the same result.

What you might ask:
- Was the phone rooted?
| No, it was not rooted.

- Any changes to the firmware?
| No, it was 100% stock, just with an unlocked bootloader.

- What region?
| Global.

- Have you tried older versions of TWRP?
| Yes, and i even tried OrangeFox.

- What is the MIUI / Android version?
| MIUI: 12.5.5.0 - Android: 11

- Did you boot back to MIUI after you exited fastboot?
| No, it turns out that MIUI will replace the recovery to stock if i boot back into it. so, no.
i tried powering it off and then accessing recovery using power button + volume up

- Have you tried multiple times?
| My headache says yes.

- HaVe yOu SeArcHed XdA aT alL???/??/?/
| Yes, i did. I found some people with the same issue, but these threads had no answers.

- Not enough information
| Tell me what you want to know please.

Thanks in advance!

Kirasu2080

Aug 10, 2021
MOD EDIT: Link RemovedHello!

This is my first time trying to install a custom recovery.
I tried installing TWRP with no success...
for some weird reason, it just won't boot into TWRP or anything else... not even OrangeFox.

Here is what i've done:
- Unlocked the bootloader using the official Xiaomi unlock tool (which took a whole week :/)
- Downloaded the official TWRP img from here: https://dl.twrp.me/begonia/twrp-3.6.0_9-0-begonia.img.html
- Flashed it using fastboot flash recovery twrp.img while the phone was in fastboot mode

The flash was successful according to the fastboot terminal, on the phone screen it was fine as well with no errors.

When trying to boot to recovery, the phone hangs on a black screen for a few seconds, and then restarts until i release the volume up button.
I have tried OrangeFox as well, and got the same result.

What you might ask:
- Was the phone rooted?
| No, it was not rooted.

- Any changes to the firmware?
| No, it was 100% stock, just with an unlocked bootloader.

- What region?
| Global.

- Have you tried older versions of TWRP?
| Yes, and i even tried OrangeFox.

- What is the MIUI / Android version?
| MIUI: 12.5.5.0 - Android: 11

- Did you boot back to MIUI after you exited fastboot?
| No, it turns out that MIUI will replace the recovery to stock if i boot back into it. so, no.
i tried powering it off and then accessing recovery using power button + volume up

- Have you tried multiple times?
| My headache says yes.

- HaVe yOu SeArcHed XdA aT alL???/??/?/
| Yes, i did. I found some people with the same issue, but these threads had no answers.

- Not enough information
| Tell me what you want to know please.

Thanks in advance!
Download this one:

MOD EDIT: Link Removed

After phone in Fastboot mode, just run file 1.FlashBrpMiuiA11Unified.bat and it will flash and boot in twrp automatically.

Last edited by a moderator:

electric fish

Feb 17, 2020
Download this one:

MOD EDIT: Link Removed

After phone in Fastboot mode, just run file 1.FlashBrpMiuiA11Unified.bat and it will flash and boot in twrp automatically.
Wow it actually worked! Thank you so much!
just wondering, why didn’t it work with how I did it? It seems like it also installed a modified version of TWRP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kirasu2080

Aug 10, 2021
Wow it actually worked! Thank you so much!
just wondering, why didn’t it work with how I did it? It seems like it also installed a modified version of TWRP.
Best one until now. Encryption not broken (It broke on almost other Twrp, your data will be encrypted and just can Sideload). You can see in Advanced some more things like Magisk Install (If you want to root), patch vbmeta, fstab files (for f2fs),...

electric fish

Feb 17, 2020
Best one until now. Encryption not broken (It broke on almost other Twrp, your data will be encrypted and just can Sideload). You can see in Advanced some more things like Magisk Install (If you want to root), patch vbmeta, fstab files (for f2fs),...
Cool.
I’m sorry, but I really want to know what i did wrong that it didn’t work when I tried using fastboot?

electric fish

Feb 17, 2020
I think because it's for Android 9. If it for A11, it will be 3.6.0_11 like that
Oh, so the modification were in place just to make it work on a current version of Android?
By the way, I’m planning on installing a custom rom as well.
I want pixel experience, it shouldn’t cause any problems, right?

(I don’t have an SD card, I want to do it from internal storage)

Kirasu2080

Aug 10, 2021
Oh, so the modification were in place just to make it work on a current version of Android?
By the way, I’m planning on installing a custom rom as well.
I want pixel experience, it shouldn’t cause any problems, right?
I eddited old post, read again.
And for PE+ and PPUI rom, these one are the most dangerous roms. But because you already in 12.5.x, your hardbrick chance will be 5%. Some reported that still have chance for hardbrick even follow guide on these roms.
You can follow their Flash guide on Telegram (Find rmn8p official or PE_begonia). And they have unbrick method incase bad things happen, better near PC while flash that.

Canny1913

Sep 1, 2021
Redmi Note 8 Pro
You can use Salih-Sonar's TWRP if you want decryption.

Just search "begonia-oss" on google and download the "TWRP-MIUI 12.5" one.

Also if you plan on switching roms this recovery will not work (learned that the hard way)

To prevent stock rom replacement,delete "recovery-from-boot.p" inside /system or /vendor

dangtoi1993

Feb 26, 2016
LG V60 ThinQ
Im on MIUI 12.0.8 Android 10, with Bootloader unlocked.
I wanna flash TWRP to use custom rom, i tried alot TWRP ver, flash success but won't boot.
Any advice here?

Lchoden

Feb 24, 2019
Redmi Note 8 Pro
Have tried every thing when I input the command prompt everything goes well...device detected But when I flash the last command.. It boots into its miui version... Fast boot recovery.. Using windows 7...

Canny1913

Sep 1, 2021
Redmi Note 8 Pro
Have tried every thing when I input the command prompt everything goes well...device detected But when I flash the last command.. It boots into its miui version... Fast boot recovery.. Using windows 7...
Install it again, then use "fastboot reboot-recovery" to boot directly to twrp. then using the file manager find and delete /vendor/recovery-from-boot.p