Redmi Note 8T - stuck with lost IMEI and locked bootloader

Search This thread

gjongbloed

Oct 23, 2016
Could revive hard-bricked Redmin Note 8T through EDL mode. However, IMEI's proved nulled. In an attempt to flash a 'repaired' qcn file (qcn file with replaced own IMEI), the phone ended up in situation that asked for a new attempt to re-install stock-ROM through EDL again. Succeeded in doing so, however... this time the phone ended up with a locked bootloader. Consequences: without valid IMEI's, a sim-card is not recognized, therefore am unable to activate a mobile network. And switching off WiFi with an activated mobile network is an essential pre-condition for the normal Xiaomi unlock-procedure, using the MiFlash Unlock tool. And with a locked bootloader, I can't root the phone, can't try anything elso like repairing IMEI's...
Does anyone see a way out? Especially, how to unlock bootloader?

Last edited:

chrysopra

Sep 18, 2019
LG G4
LG V20
Reflashing to stock meant also relocking the bootloader. Your attempt to restore the qcn obviously failed. To get out of this, you have to (successfully) fix the qcn file. Unless then, any thoughts of unlocking are wasted time...

Dec 4, 2022
L'outil miflash unlock fonctionne avec fastboot en câble USB et un compte créé sur MI pour le déverrouiller. J ai le même problème que toi en flashant une rom j' ai tout perdu. Maintenant j arrive facilement a flash mon redmi note 8t Willow tous fonctionne le Root rom Android 13 wifi et sensor ok, mais j ai plus de IMEI. Si tu trouve un qcn qui fonctionne contact moi on essaiera de s aider avec Google traduction 😉

gjongbloed

Oct 23, 2016
I'm awaiting the unlock-waiting period of 168 hours, to unlock my wife's Redmi Note 8T. Will then try to back-up the qcn file of her phone, and then to find with HxD her IMEI's. Then I hope to replace those (known to me) IMEI's with my RN8T's original IMEI's. Then save that file. But even then... how to replace the present faulty qcn-file with the 'repaired' file on a not-rooted phone? And I'm unable to root the phone because of the locked bootloader, at least I don't know a way tot do so...

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022
Attention quand tu va déverrouiller le redmi de ta femme ça va le formater sauvegarde bien tous (photo musique ....) Le tiens tu peux le déverrouiller avec miflash unlock en démarrant en fastboot (bouton power et volume -) au pire il y a la commande ( fastboot oem unlock ) si mes souvenir son bon, y a des tuto sur le forum pour ça.

gjongbloed

Oct 23, 2016
Attention quand tu va déverrouiller le redmi de ta femme ça va le formater sauvegarde bien tous (photo musique ....) Le tiens tu peux le déverrouiller avec miflash unlock en démarrant en fastboot (bouton power et volume -) au pire il y a la commande ( fastboot oem unlock ) si mes souvenir son bon, y a des tuto sur le forum pour ça.
Worked! It was all less complicated than I thought, probably because I had gone through the unlocking process earlier on. This time it sufficed to activate the developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and USB debugging, enable file transfer and put the phone into Fastboot mode. Then to start MiFlash-Unlock and log-in with my MiAccount username and password. No need to switch off WiFi and to have enabled mobile data. Thanks a lot for the tip. Now, I can at least proceed with rooting the phone!

Dec 4, 2022
Worked! It was all less complicated than I thought, probably because I had gone through the unlocking process earlier on. This time it sufficed to activate the developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and USB debugging, enable file transfer and put the phone into Fastboot mode. Then to start MiFlash-Unlock and log-in with my MiAccount username and password. No need to switch off WiFi and to have enabled mobile data. Thanks a lot for the tip. Now, I can at least proceed with rooting the phone!
cool glad you made it. did you find a correct qcn for the redmi note 8t and where to modify the imei in this file, it is in hexadecimal if I remember correctly?

gjongbloed

Oct 23, 2016
cool glad you made it. did you find a correct qcn for the redmi note 8t and where to modify the imei in this file, it is in hexadecimal if I remember correctly?
Yes, with QFIL I made a backup of the qcn file of my wife's RN8T . With HxD I could locate both (her) IMEI's and replace those with my IMEI's. Then saved the file and restored it with QFIL in my RN8T. All seemed successful until the end: Error in setting phone mode to MODE_RESET_T. Well, I could restart the phone and *#06# showed the correct (my) IMEI's. But I still couldn't use the phone, couldn't activate the SIM card, and, moreover, WiFi hardly worked! In other words, no improvement. Still plodding on...

Dec 4, 2022
Yes, with QFIL I made a backup of the qcn file of my wife's RN8T . With HxD I could locate both (her) IMEI's and replace those with my IMEI's. Then saved the file and restored it with QFIL in my RN8T. All seemed successful until the end: Error in setting phone mode to MODE_RESET_T. Well, I could restart the phone and *#06# showed the correct (my) IMEI's. But I still couldn't use the phone, couldn't activate the SIM card, and, moreover, WiFi hardly worked! In other words, no improvement. Still plodding on...
EDIT MODERATION

As a member, @[email protected] , you know that you must use the English language in your posts, as per forum rule #4, because you must have read the rules before posting.

4. Use the English language.

We understand that with all the different nationalities, not everyone speaks English well, but please try. If you're really unable to post in English, use an online translator. You're free to include your original message in your own language, below the English translation. (This rule covers your posts, profile entries and signature). You could try :- https://translate.google.com/ or https://www.babelfish.com/ or use one of your choice.
As a "unique" courtesy, I have translated your post.
Please be respectful and observe XDA rule #4 for all future posts.
Next time your post will be deleted!

Regards - Sib64 - Moderator

You changed the persistent.img me it posed me problems, I reflasher one of the first rom miui in Android 9 but with a format ZIP (with the twrp orangefox.) on my Willow after the persistent.img and my sensor gyroscope and wifi worked well (unlike before) after I also modified a qcn with my IMEI.

But now all is functional I have the IMEI's displayed but I have a serial number that is wrong so even with a sim I can't call no radio. I put my sim in my willoW and it recognizes it well and asks me for the pin code .but I can't call. I'm looking at the vendor now I'm not sure what to do.

I think we are not going to get away with this lol:)

Tu a changer le persist.img moi il me posait des problemes , j'ai reflasher une des première rom miui en Android 9 mais avec un format ZIP ( avec le twrp orangefox.)sur mon Willow après le persist.img et mes capteur gyroscope et wifi marchait bien (contrairement à avant) après j'ai aussi modifié un qcn avec mes IMEI.

mais maintenant tous est fonctionnel j'ai bien les IMEI qui s'affiche mais j'ai un numéro de série qui est faut donc même avec une sim je ne peux pas appeler pas de radio. J'ai mis ma sim dans mon willoW et il l'a reconnaît bien et me demande le code pin .Mais Je ne peux pas appeler. Je me penche sur le vendor maintenant je suis plus trop quoi faire.

Je pense que l'on ne va pas s'en sortir comme ça lo
l:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-12-18-48-16-729_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-12-18-48-16-729_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20221212_183722.jpg
    IMG_20221212_183722.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:

gjongbloed

Oct 23, 2016
Well, after many tries, I finally have been able to correct the IMEI's. They now read as they should read. Not with a backup qcn file of my wife's Redmi Note 8T, subsequently changing the IMEI's into the IMEI's of my Redmi Note 8T, and then restoring it. That still resulted in zeroed IMEI's, and, after restart of the phone, in a bootloop. Happily, I could get out of that by restoring a backup of the /efs and /persist partitions.
But with Qualcomm_Smartphone_Write_IMEI.zip and with the phone connected to the pc via a diagnostic COM-port, I managed - again after a number of fruitless tries (no connection) - to change the nulled IMEI's into the correct IMEI's. So far, so good, but a (working) sim-card is still not recognized, I still can't use the phone-app, I still can't use a mobile network... I'm searching for a solution of this problem, but sofar haven't been able to find anything..............

Last edited: