• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Question Reduce idle battery drain

Search This thread

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
Hello everyone,I left my phone overnight for 8 hours at 100% battery and after 8hours of idling it was at 80%,this seems to much for me. I'm on EEA firmware 12.5.3 and I debloated removing many apps what do you suggest to check or remove?

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
You are right,putting it into airplane mode should reduce power consumption, probably 5g consume a lot of energy. Now I went into battery mode and resticted apps in background I don't use like assistant, scanner,recorder, notes, and much more

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Kill cloud and cloud backup apps.
If you got Google play Services, disable that when not using. Google backup Transport and Framework can be permanently disabled. Kill Google Firebase and feedback for Google, manufacturer, apps and carrier. For starters.

No need to put in Airplane mode if you take out the trash that's needlessly running in the background sucking the battery down.

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
Could you drive me trough the settings please? Where I can do this? I disabled many things but I want to be sure what I missed

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Could you drive me trough the settings please? Where I can do this? I disabled many things but I want to be sure what I missed
I'm not holding the device and I have a Note 10+ but there are similar issues on all Android phones.
You need to be able to see what apks are draining the battery and using the internet. On Pie which I use is easier to do than with Q and 11 however you may have resources on those systems I'm unaware off.
Disable all power management and address the power hogs individually on a case by case basis.

You can use Karma Firewall to block internet access to rogue apps which will decrease their battery usage. However it's valuble logging features are disabled in Q and above. There may be a ADB work around... I don't know.
Package Disabler is very useful as well. There are non-Samsung variants of the apk you can likely use real time.

Play with it which what I did.
It's time consuming... and what works for some won't work for all. My 10+ was a hot running power hog; today it's a cool running, fast, stable, heavily optimized platform. Once done, do not update the OS or you'll be starting from scratch, again.

Reactions: neptunex3

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Well the most draining app is Google play services which I don't know what it is used for
Gmail, Gmaps, Find my Device and Playstore mostly. A few other 3rd party apps are dependencies as well like paid for Playstore apps, some of those will run normally without it though*.
Otherwise you can safely leave it disabled.

Find my Device will not initialize as a Device Administrator on reboot without it enabled, an apk I loathe. A reboot with Google play Services enable though will likely be needed to access Playstore.
Playstore is a mess, running in the background.

*like Accubattery if you firewall block it. SD Maid same issue.

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
That's what I don't understand, Google gmail has been uninstalled via adb, gmaps has been restricted in background (also need to ask location permission everytime it starts), play store has been restricted in background and find my device disabled, so I don't know why it keeps running all the time, what should I do? Shall I install MIUI optimization? The only thing I don't want to lose are whatsapp push notifications, step counter, messages and phone calls notifications
Also my device is rooted, hiw can I prevent Google play services from running in background and being used only when requested? Same for carrier services (what's used for?) And Xiaomi services framework

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
That's what I don't understand, Google gmail has been uninstalled via adb, gmaps has been restricted in background (also need to ask location permission everytime it starts), play store has been restricted in background and find my device disabled, so I don't know why it keeps running all the time, what should I do? Shall I install MIUI optimization? The only thing I don't want to lose are whatsapp push notifications, step counter, messages and phone calls notifications
Find my Device still runs even when disabled.
As does Google Backup Transport and Framework.
Google play Services just does what it wants.

WhatsApp... you're kidding, right? I won't let that FB etc or any "social app" on my machine. Multiple security risks written all over (and into) it.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
20% overnight is a lot, I get 4% overnight with no special settings. How's the signal strength? I've noticed that signal strength can have a negative impact on battery when looking for a signal as you mentioned airplane mode seems better.
It's using the internet either polling or transferring data needlessly. You need to find the source.
My 10+ can receive texts and calls at night and still uses only 2-3% in 6 hours with touch to see AOD running.

Before when Google Backup Transport was running (even though it was turned off) it was more like 8-10%. Gookill is a mess.

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
Find my Device still runs even when disabled.
As does Google Backup Transport and Framework.
Google play Services just does what it wants.

WhatsApp... you're kidding, right? I won't let that FB etc or any "social app" on my machine. Multiple security risks written all over (and into) it.
Well WhatsApp is need to communicate with my wife lol,and my family.
Where can I find these backup transport? I run through the settings and restricted background activity for many apps, I got to see overnight what my new drain will be so I can report you.
What carrier services does? If I restrict background activity will I still receive sms and WhatsApp?
The only apps I have installed on my phone which I installed are: Whatsapp, tapatalk, Kiwi browser (uninstalled chrome), youtube vanced and magisk. All the rest if the apps are the one that came with the firmware. I uninstalled a lot of them plus some packages through adb. Still Google play services and carrier services are the most demanding. I don't want to loose the ability to use maps but only when I use it obviously. I want super low battery drain in idle

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Well WhatsApp is need to communicate with my wife lol,and my family.
Where can I find these backup transport? I run through the settings and restricted background activity for many apps, I got to see overnight what my new drain will be so I can report you.
What carrier services does? If I restrict background activity will I still receive sms and WhatsApp?
The only apps I have installed on my phone which I installed are: Whatsapp, tapatalk, Kiwi browser (uninstalled chrome), youtube vanced and magisk. All the rest if the apps are the one that came with the firmware. I uninstalled a lot of them plus some packages through adb. Still Google play services and carrier services are the most demanding. I don't want to loose the ability to use maps but only when I use it obviously. I want super low battery drain in idle
Why not use text messaging instead? It's battery usage is low.
-You- really need to know what you are disabling... one at a time.
There are likely more than one or two apps contributing to high battery usage.
Play with it.

Like I said you can enabled/disable Google play Services as needed in settings.
You'll find Google Backup Transport Services and Framework there as well.
Each device and user are different, one solution doesn't work for all. You'll need to become familiar with your device to do this right.

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
I think I solved the issue by resticting a lot of background activities through manage apps, usage access, revocation and permissions, now the phone stayed a 100% for more than 5hours
Screenshot_2021-06-20-16-01-43-459_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks, honestly I reinstalled Xiaomi services framework, Xiaomi services framework keeper and Xiaomi SIM activation services. As I thought uninstalling the framework breaks Mi music by showing on the rear screen to get controlled and I assume other hidden functionalities, I don't recommend then to debloat that since in terms of battery life it doesn't give much of juice. I do suggest getting to this point to start activating the battery saving options to save up more than this. For example yesterday over 12 hours overnight drain with the framework still active I had 97% battery and this morning without the framework I had over 8hours 99% so I don't think having the framework makes too much of a difference despite what it breaks and/or may break. I think also that it may affect MIUI optimizations and so the reactivity of the system, so I suggest you guys leaving those 3
    Overnight drain after removing xiaomi Services framework

Screenshot_2021-07-06-08-22-36-841_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    Tonight drainage
    Screenshot_2021-07-03-12-29-11-675_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    If anyone is still interested

Screenshot_2021-07-04-04-12-21-164_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    Debloater through magisk, I will figure that out. It shouldn't be a big deal. Keep going ! My phone battery life is way longer now!
    Would you mind sharing your list of debloated apps as xNAPx did ? Thanks !
    Use the Hidden Settings for MIUI app on the Google Play store to disable all the apps that cannot be disabled through the normal app menu (no root required):

Thanks, honestly I reinstalled Xiaomi services framework, Xiaomi services framework keeper and Xiaomi SIM activation services. As I thought uninstalling the framework breaks Mi music by showing on the rear screen to get controlled and I assume other hidden functionalities, I don't recommend then to debloat that since in terms of battery life it doesn't give much of juice. I do suggest getting to this point to start activating the battery saving options to save up more than this. For example yesterday over 12 hours overnight drain with the framework still active I had 97% battery and this morning without the framework I had over 8hours 99% so I don't think having the framework makes too much of a difference despite what it breaks and/or may break. I think also that it may affect MIUI optimizations and so the reactivity of the system, so I suggest you guys leaving those 3
    Overnight drain after removing xiaomi Services framework

Screenshot_2021-07-06-08-22-36-841_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    I think I got almost a perfect status and balance between idle drain, debloating and phone functionality

First of all you must have your phone rooted and use the magisk module "debloat". I so far debloated these apps
    56172.jpg

Thanks to this my ROM became really light already, security app boost only register few apps in background and most of the time doesn't even register a 'your phone is now X% faster" .

This is the drainage so far. Phone disconnected from charging at 2pm or something

Screenshot_2021-07-02-23-23-35-081_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg

I had a whatsapp video call for almost 20minutes (one of the most expensive battery draining anctivity) and few hours of idling

After debloating remember to go into app
    And force stop the following
    Google play services
    Carrier Services
    Xiaomi Services framework
    Xiaomi Services framework keeper
    Google play services keeper
    Google play store
    Xiaomi Sim activation service

Now clear their cache and data and reboot your phone

Now run terminal emulator and type

su

Then type

cmd package bg-dexopt-job

Now wait for "success" to show this will optimize your apps

Now you can also go into battery and reatrict background activity for all the apps you want
    Then you can disable into apps for the background data usage for all the apps you want

Then you can go further and go into privacy->special permission->battery optimization and optimize the apps and process you want
    Then deactivate all the functionalities you don't use, like backups, find device etc.

Go into usage access and disable so for Google play services and other stuff like xiaomi services and miui

Go into privacy and security->authorization and revocation-> and stop the apps you want

And this is pretty much so, obviously for my type of usage

You can go further by reducing refresh rate to 90hz (check guides here) but I don't do so, or prefer lower data speeds such as lte/4g or even less (5g is pretty expensive but I don't do it)
    Technical wise I don't disable or reduce these functionalities because it is the reason why I bought this phone so it wouldn't make sense but feel free to use these tricks as well if you want
    I'm not holding the device and I have a Note 10+ but there are similar issues on all Android phones.
    You need to be able to see what apks are draining the battery and using the internet. On Pie which I use is easier to do than with Q and 11 however you may have resources on those systems I'm unaware off.
    Disable all power management and address the power hogs individually on a case by case basis.

You can use Karma Firewall to block internet access to rogue apps which will decrease their battery usage. However it's valuble logging features are disabled in Q and above. There may be a ADB work around... I don't know.
    Package Disabler is very useful as well. There are non-Samsung variants of the apk you can likely use real time.

Play with it which what I did.
    It's time consuming... and what works for some won't work for all. My 10+ was a hot running power hog; today it's a cool running, fast, stable, heavily optimized platform. Once done, do not update the OS or you'll be starting from scratch, again.