• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Question Reduce idle battery drain

Search This thread

hassanaliyeh

Apr 3, 2015
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Speaking of Battery drain, I see my "Android system" is taking majority and really high battery drain. any explanations? as per some other reports, I've signed out of Mi Account also to minimize battery drain, and not sure if it improved my battery,

my battery is draining nearly 5%-10% an hour,
120Hz, adaptive brightness, smartwatch connected, wifi, dual sim connected, location (background restrictions on all apps, no consumption), when I check battery details, (Android system) takes the lead and all other consumptions are minimal.

Version 12.5.2 global official, bootloader locked. I haven't done factory reset after update to 12.5.2.

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
Today I checked the battery stats and "media storage" consumed a lot of battery,why? What's this media storage? What does it do?

themissionimpossible

May 12, 2008
The music player and the video player use it.
Even ringtones folders are indexed.
In general, any folder that contains media files is analyzed and indexed.
Unfortunately the .nomedia file doesn't work reliably in MIUI.

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
Honestly is the first time I see such a use from this media service, I wonder what kicked it in. Anyway after restricting many apps battery life improved considerably. At least yesterday overnight after 6 hours battery was still at 100%. Today after 8 hours was at 98% . Probably I could still squeeze a bit of juice, but I'm very happy the way it is at the moment considering I'm not affecting any functionality of what I use

hassanaliyeh

Apr 3, 2015
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Honestly is the first time I see such a use from this media service, I wonder what kicked it in. Anyway after restricting many apps battery life improved considerably. At least yesterday overnight after 6 hours battery was still at 100%. Today after 8 hours was at 98% . Probably I could still squeeze a bit of juice, but I'm very happy the way it is at the moment considering I'm not affecting any functionality of what I use
How were you able to get this much of power saving overnight? I still sleep at 100% and wake up at 94%

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
Well a good amount of debloating and many restriction on usage and data for many apps. I gotta check tonight as well and post my results tomorrow and I can drive through it.This at the moment is today's

Screenshot_2021-06-22-00-32-24-602_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg

hassanaliyeh

Apr 3, 2015
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-06-22-09-03-08-481_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-22-09-03-08-481_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_2021-06-22-09-02-43-683_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-22-09-02-43-683_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 52

hassanaliyeh

Apr 3, 2015
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
you have 21hours of usage and still 50%, that is a full day.
how come your screen consumption is lower than other apps? and android system is killing my battery.

do you have super wallpaper on? always awake? (I have it for 10sec's). any services on like wifi, Bluetooth, location? what rate is your screen set at? auto brightness? and i still believe these services should not draw all my battery, there is something else.

do you recommend a factory reset? i'd avoid this step at all costs, if you can guide me through it.

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
Nope I don't use super wallpapers (it's cool but battery consuming) and AOD is set to off, (I have a diary cover so my front screen is covered and don't need it as well as light up for notifications, I use the blue halo for that) I have my screen brightness set manual at around 40% (if I need more brightness I set it manually). Wifi is generally set to off as I use only 5g (I have an unlimited plan and use only wifi when I am at work), Bluetooth is also set to off as I don't need it, location is set to on always. I disabled all the autostart for apps. I also set battery background restriction for many apps (I'll give more details tomorrow). I also set background data restriction for many system apps. And disabled usage access for many apps as well as I disabled permissions and the ability for apps to control wifi. I have only 3/4 apps installed myself (WhatsApp, kiwi browser, tapatalk and YouTube vanced and magisk for root) all the rest has been debloated through adb (I'll post the list of the packages I unistalled). This is it for now. I just charged my phone and running it now idling overnight and post a screen tomorrow to see how this is going, it looks very promising so far, I also managed to get notification on rear screen for sms besides whatsapp (15sec AOD). All the screen enhancement are on: full WQHD+ (with no battery saving), 120hz,AI image enhanced, HDR+ on. Animations are set to 0.5x through developer options. Factory reset is useful if you mess up with something, in this case it is a matter of playing with the settings first. Can you post a screen of a daily usage of yours please?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Enabling power management can cause erratic behavior and frequently uses more battery🤣🤭
I never use it.
Track down the hogs...

Android system usage looks high. Media storage... WhatsApp is a prime suspect and may also be spiking Android Services along with power management.
Nothing's for free... lots of dependencies there that are interacting. It can be a challenge to sort it out; trail and error.
Constant internet polling is a telltale sign an apk is running amuck.
I use Karma Firewall to detect this but it's valuable logging feature doesn't work on Q and above I think.

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
Regarding power management I don't know what you are referring to, I don't think I am using any power management. Regarding media storage yes Whatsapp can be the culprit because of the daily google drive backup, I switched now to weekly to see if that makes any difference. Regarding Android system good luck what triggers that. If you onow some of the dependencies be my guest. I can only make a list of what I deactivated and then we can move from there

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Regarding power management I don't know what you are referring to, I don't think I am using any power management. Regarding media storage yes Whatsapp can be the culprit because of the daily google drive backup, I switched now to weekly to see if that makes any difference. Regarding Android system good luck what triggers that. If you onow some of the dependencies be my guest. I can only make a list of what I deactivated and then we can move from there
Developer options>standby apps, all buckets should show as active otherwise power management is active. If your Android is structured this way...

Android Services has dozens of dependencies.
Many aren't needed. Start picking away at them.
You can try disabling Android Services background usage but it's just a bandaid at best... and will probably cause some apps to malfunction.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think I got almost a perfect status and balance between idle drain, debloating and phone functionality

First of all you must have your phone rooted and use the magisk module "debloat". I so far debloated these apps
    56172.jpg

Thanks to this my ROM became really light already, security app boost only register few apps in background and most of the time doesn't even register a 'your phone is now X% faster" .

This is the drainage so far. Phone disconnected from charging at 2pm or something

Screenshot_2021-07-02-23-23-35-081_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg

I had a whatsapp video call for almost 20minutes (one of the most expensive battery draining anctivity) and few hours of idling

After debloating remember to go into app
    And force stop the following
    Google play services
    Carrier Services
    Xiaomi Services framework
    Xiaomi Services framework keeper
    Google play services keeper
    Google play store
    Xiaomi Sim activation service

Now clear their cache and data and reboot your phone

Now run terminal emulator and type

su

Then type

cmd package bg-dexopt-job

Now wait for "success" to show this will optimize your apps

Now you can also go into battery and reatrict background activity for all the apps you want
    Then you can disable into apps for the background data usage for all the apps you want

Then you can go further and go into privacy->special permission->battery optimization and optimize the apps and process you want
    Then deactivate all the functionalities you don't use, like backups, find device etc.

Go into usage access and disable so for Google play services and other stuff like xiaomi services and miui

Go into privacy and security->authorization and revocation-> and stop the apps you want

And this is pretty much so, obviously for my type of usage

You can go further by reducing refresh rate to 90hz (check guides here) but I don't do so, or prefer lower data speeds such as lte/4g or even less (5g is pretty expensive but I don't do it)
    Technical wise I don't disable or reduce these functionalities because it is the reason why I bought this phone so it wouldn't make sense but feel free to use these tricks as well if you want
    Thanks, honestly I reinstalled Xiaomi services framework, Xiaomi services framework keeper and Xiaomi SIM activation services. As I thought uninstalling the framework breaks Mi music by showing on the rear screen to get controlled and I assume other hidden functionalities, I don't recommend then to debloat that since in terms of battery life it doesn't give much of juice. I do suggest getting to this point to start activating the battery saving options to save up more than this. For example yesterday over 12 hours overnight drain with the framework still active I had 97% battery and this morning without the framework I had over 8hours 99% so I don't think having the framework makes too much of a difference despite what it breaks and/or may break. I think also that it may affect MIUI optimizations and so the reactivity of the system, so I suggest you guys leaving those 3
    Overnight drain after removing xiaomi Services framework

Screenshot_2021-07-06-08-22-36-841_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    Tonight drainage
    Screenshot_2021-07-03-12-29-11-675_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    Honestly I didn't like Firefox, the usual web pages I visit were showing rendering errors,plus it was much slower than kiwi in rendering pages, so I uninstalled it. Maybe should I try Opera?
    Use the Samsung Internet Beta with any ad block plugin (there are many, you can also have more plugins active at the same time).
    IMHO the best browser overall.
    Use the Hidden Settings for MIUI app on the Google Play store to disable all the apps that cannot be disabled through the normal app menu (no root required):

Thanks, honestly I reinstalled Xiaomi services framework, Xiaomi services framework keeper and Xiaomi SIM activation services. As I thought uninstalling the framework breaks Mi music by showing on the rear screen to get controlled and I assume other hidden functionalities, I don't recommend then to debloat that since in terms of battery life it doesn't give much of juice. I do suggest getting to this point to start activating the battery saving options to save up more than this. For example yesterday over 12 hours overnight drain with the framework still active I had 97% battery and this morning without the framework I had over 8hours 99% so I don't think having the framework makes too much of a difference despite what it breaks and/or may break. I think also that it may affect MIUI optimizations and so the reactivity of the system, so I suggest you guys leaving those 3
    Overnight drain after removing xiaomi Services framework

Screenshot_2021-07-06-08-22-36-841_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    I think I got almost a perfect status and balance between idle drain, debloating and phone functionality

First of all you must have your phone rooted and use the magisk module "debloat". I so far debloated these apps
    56172.jpg

Thanks to this my ROM became really light already, security app boost only register few apps in background and most of the time doesn't even register a 'your phone is now X% faster" .

This is the drainage so far. Phone disconnected from charging at 2pm or something

Screenshot_2021-07-02-23-23-35-081_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg

I had a whatsapp video call for almost 20minutes (one of the most expensive battery draining anctivity) and few hours of idling

After debloating remember to go into app
    And force stop the following
    Google play services
    Carrier Services
    Xiaomi Services framework
    Xiaomi Services framework keeper
    Google play services keeper
    Google play store
    Xiaomi Sim activation service

Now clear their cache and data and reboot your phone

Now run terminal emulator and type

su

Then type

cmd package bg-dexopt-job

Now wait for "success" to show this will optimize your apps

Now you can also go into battery and reatrict background activity for all the apps you want
    Then you can disable into apps for the background data usage for all the apps you want

Then you can go further and go into privacy->special permission->battery optimization and optimize the apps and process you want
    Then deactivate all the functionalities you don't use, like backups, find device etc.

Go into usage access and disable so for Google play services and other stuff like xiaomi services and miui

Go into privacy and security->authorization and revocation-> and stop the apps you want

And this is pretty much so, obviously for my type of usage

You can go further by reducing refresh rate to 90hz (check guides here) but I don't do so, or prefer lower data speeds such as lte/4g or even less (5g is pretty expensive but I don't do it)
    Technical wise I don't disable or reduce these functionalities because it is the reason why I bought this phone so it wouldn't make sense but feel free to use these tricks as well if you want
    I do it already.