• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[REF] How to boot your SD build from magldr [quick guide]

Search This thread

zarathustrax

Aug 29, 2007
SouthSide of Chicago
Hey guys,

any experienced linux users who can help me?

I installed an ubuntu virtual machine a few days ago to edit the init.rc files located inside the initrd.gz archives. This works perfectly...

Now I would also like to edit the init.rc files inside the system.ext2 files/partitions.
Is it possible using ubuntu to acces system.ext2 and edit the files inside? (I can access and edit using gizmo under windows, but I would like to do it with ubuntu too)

And if its possible I would need the commands for the terminal...

Thx.

Greetz Dom

What builds do you have to edit initrd.gz files for? Only builds I know of that needed those files edited were Darkstones RAM builds, and letamam has released edited initrd.gz files for both of those builds already. Every other build I have gotten working by just mounting the system.ext2 or rootfs.img.

ricola7

Nov 3, 2009
here you are:

you can use terminal similar like this:

mount -o loop /users/"your dir"/system.ext2 /users/"your dir for mounting"

and after that you can edit it :D

THX DUDE!

You saved me! I had to add "sudo" at the beginning of the line though (if some others want to try this too)

Glad you got it to work in windows (or mac ;)) too.

ricola7

Nov 3, 2009
What builds do you have to edit initrd.gz files for? Only builds I know of that needed those files edited were Darkstones RAM builds, and letamam has released edited initrd.gz files for both of those builds already. Every other build I have gotten working by just mounting the system.ext2 or rootfs.img.

I only edited the initrd.gz files for the Darkstone RAM build (wo sense) and for "MDJ Gingerbread 1.0 rc5". I noticed too late, that I could've used letama's initrd.gz atleast for the Darkstone wo sense ...maybe this would've worked for MDJ too... But I like to play around and it drove me crazy that at first I just couldn't get my edited initrd.gz to work. And after that hassle it's sooo sweet if you finally get it going ;)

And regarding the system.ext2...I didn't even notice before that there is an init.rc inside too. I thought there is only one iniside the whole build, and when I found the init.rc in the initrd.gz I thought that is the way to go...I learn alot in this thread *lol*

sallal

Sep 8, 2008
Lower Saxony
hey,

i made a modified initrd.gz for a Gingerbread 2.3 Build

Original Build:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=898831

Modification can be found in the attachments.

just unpack it and replace the initrd.gz it with the original one you find in the android folder, and start living out gingerbread :)

cheers
sallal

EDIT: Ok , i tried it out now in quite all issues a phone should work like and have to say -- it has a lot of bugs. i dont know if that is from the developer himself or through my editing, but i advise NOT TO USE THIS VERSION.

Attachments

• initrd.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

zarathustrax

Aug 29, 2007
SouthSide of Chicago
hey,

i made a modified initrd.gz for a Gingerbread 2.3 Build

Original Build:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=898831

Modification can be found in the attachments.

just unpack it and replace the initrd.gz it with the original one you find in the android folder, and start living out gingerbread :)

cheers
sallal

EDIT: Ok , i tried it out now in quite all issues a phone should work like and have to say -- it has a lot of bugs. i dont know if that is from the developer himself or through my editing, but i advise NOT TO USE THIS VERSION.

Isn't that build already have modified files in it to use with magldr? All of Cope and Warrens prior versions did, so I don't know why that wouldn't. Also, you only have to modify the initrd.gz if there is no system.ext2 or rootfs.img with an init.rc file in it... only builds I'm aware of that need edited initrd.gz file is Darkstones 2 RAM builds.

EDIT: I just downloaded that build to test, and like I said, there's already a folder in the build called SDMAGLDR and it contains the rootfs.img that you replace to boot with magldr. That build doesn't need the initrd.gz file edited, so that is probably what caused all those bugs.

Last edited:

sallal

Sep 8, 2008
Lower Saxony
Isn't that build already have modified files in it to use with magldr? All of Cope and Warrens prior versions did, so I don't know why that wouldn't. Also, you only have to modify the initrd.gz if there is no system.ext2 or rootfs.img with an init.rc file in it... only builds I'm aware of that need edited initrd.gz file is Darkstones 2 RAM builds.
... so that is probably what caused all those bugs.

nah my friend, i tried it out already, and there are the same bugs ...

i think this wont get me to cope... back to (/edit: mdj) Froyo then.

cheers,
sallal

Szakus

Mar 11, 2009
Edited smoothly with windows, and now WP7 its working perfect with my favourite Android THX

its my rootfs.img for "MCCM SE V3.4 FroyoStone Sense"
multiupload.com/FZRXX889T2

optyqus

Sep 8, 2007
Romania, NT
Ok, followed Ricolla's7 tutorial and used the same (Core Droid) and my device succesfully dual-boots wp7 and Android. But in Android i get a pop-up saying "SD card unmounted" when opening camera for example... I mean, wtf, no card mounted but the android is on that card and works? What should I do ?

zarathustrax

Aug 29, 2007
SouthSide of Chicago
Ok, followed Ricolla's7 tutorial and used the same (Core Droid) and my device succesfully dual-boots wp7 and Android. But in Android i get a pop-up saying "SD card unmounted" when opening camera for example... I mean, wtf, no card mounted but the android is on that card and works? What should I do ?

You must have left your wp7 partition as logical. Use minitool partition magic to change wp7 partition from logical to primary... right click partition and there is option to change to primary. You may have to hit apply. After it's primary, android will mount sd card fine.

zarathustrax

Aug 29, 2007
SouthSide of Chicago
Will i be able to use the JDMS rom with magldr or not?? If not, can i make it work somehow???

I have JDMS working with magldr... you need to edit the init.rc file after the build has booted up once and all the updates are installed, because after first boot, the init.rc get set back to normal. If you can't get it working, pm me and I'll send you my copy that I have setup and ready to go.

masondoctorjt

Apr 18, 2010
LG V60 ThinQ
Hey fellas,

I got an Android SD-BUild to boot (and run smooth) via Magldr.

Build Name: Core Droid HD 0.4 It's a Desire HD Sense build!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=801607
(This was my favorite sd build which I used over a month with no problems. It's fast and smooth)

I wrote a more detailed tutorial in the Core Droid HD 0.4 thread which covers dual booting with WP7 aswell:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=10689007&postcount=1106

What you have to do to get Core Droid to work:

It is CRUCIAL NOT to use the usb storage option of MAGLDR!!! Take the sd out of your device and connect it to your PC using an microsd adapter!!!!!!!

1. Backup all Data of your sd card to PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Then format the sd card using WINDOWS (quick format is good) (NOT PANASONIC FORMATTER OR WHATEVER). THE FORMATTING STEP IS ALSO CRUCIAL!!!

3. Move the original rootfs.img file from your Core Droid Build (located in "Android" folder) to some place safe on your PC to have it backed up.

4. Now put my edited file that is attached here in the Android folder. (Obviously the attached file is zipped, so unzip it and then replace it )

5. Now just copy the Android folder to the root of your sd card and put it in the device.

6. Go to this tutorial from Darren and apply the steps regarding Magldr (10-23) (dont' worry, these last steps take only 2 minutes)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=913815

Now enjoy running WP7 and Core Droid!!!!!!!!

Have fun and I will help you out if I can

Greetz
Dom

EDIT: I attached the edited init.rc too, but if you follow my steps above you just need the attached rootfs.img!!!

EDIT: To peops who are having the issue that android does not detect the sd card... Try this solution posted by scrondone:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=10725793&postcount=119

I can't really try it out myself cause I have never faced any sd issues (tried multiple builds on multile cards), but the approach sounds very promising to me (makes just sense ;))

Credits go to scrondone for this solution!!!!!
Doing this also worked on my MCCM Desire HD v4 build as well

zarathustrax

Aug 29, 2007
SouthSide of Chicago

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a very short guide for all of you looking to dual boot android from the sd card now that you have windows phone 7 taking up the nand space. It's originally posted by letama and I added a bit to it.

It's actually quite simple. All you have to do is add nand_init to one line in the init.rc file. For most builds, you will need to use a linux distro and mount the rootfs.img file, then edit the init rc file, add nand_init to this line:

Code:
    service ril-daemon /system/bin/rild -l /system/lib/libhtc_ril_wrapper.so -- -d /dev/smd0
    so it looks like this
    Code:
    service ril-daemon /system/bin/rild -l /system/lib/libhtc_ril_wrapper.so -- -d /dev/smd0 nand_init

For builds that uses the cedesmith initrd method, you have to mount the system.ext2 file, everything else is the same.

Save your file. Make sure you haven't changed the permissions and unmount the image. Copy the build to your microsd, set magldr to boot from the directory you copied it to and boot ad sd, you should be good to go.

Problems: booting it this way does not read from your startup.txt, you have to wait for cotulla to add it in future magldr. I'm not sure if the old method of updating (dumping everything in a folder named root) still works.

Disclaimer: I've tried this with jdms, hd2one, superram, desire_hd2 and mdj rEVOlution 2.3 and they all work fine with my old data image, your mileage may vary. This is a very quick guide because that's all I know :) Anymore I'll have to search google, so you might as well do that yourself :D Anyone who have a better method of editing feel free to post it. I'll add it here if you post it in this thread.

Tip from aled99 to edit without linux.
    I've managed to mount system.ext2 to Windows 7. Without VM and Linux at all.
    What tools are needed:
    1. Windows Ext2/Ext3 driver. You can get it from here.
    2. Any software to mount image to virtual drive. I've used Gizmo Drive, but there are others also working.

Tip: Gizmo doesn't show ext2 as supportable image type, when you browse for image. So, manually type *.* filter.

Some files that are already edited:
    CoreDroid HD 0.4 edited by ricola7
    Desire_hd2 system.ext2 file
    HD2ONE 0.3.5 system.ext2
    JDMS 1.62
    MDJ HD v4.6
    MDJ rEVOlution 2.3 rootfs.img
    NexusHD2-FRG83D v1.8 from nzxtneo
    Superram 1.5 from letama

Builds that already work with magldr:
    DL DesireZ v2.2 from dandiest
    HD2 Gingerbread/CyanogenMod7 from copenhagen
    MDJ 4.6 works too!

Hey fellas,

I got another Android SD-Build to boot (and run smooth) via Magldr.

Build Name: MDJ HD 4.6 It's a Desire HD Sense build!
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=859817

What you have to do to get MDJ to work:

It is CRUCIAL NOT to use the usb storage option of MAGLDR!!! Take the sd out of your device and connect it to your PC using an microsd adapter!!!!!!!

2. Then format the sd card using WINDOWS (quick format is good) (NOT PANASONIC FORMATTER OR WHATEVER). THE FORMATTING STEP IS ALSO CRUCIAL!!!

3. Move the original rootfs.img file from MDJ Build (located in "Android" folder) to some place safe on your PC to have it backed up.

2. Now put my edited file that is attached here in the Android folder. (Obviously the attached file is zipped, so unzip it and then replace it )

3. Now just copy the Android folder to the root of your sd card and put it in the device.

4. Go to this tutorial from Darren and apply the steps regarding Magldr (10-23) (dont' worry, these last steps take only 2 minutes)

Now enjoy running WP7 and MDJ!!!!!!!!

Greetz
    Dom

EDIT: To peops who are having the issue that android does not detect the sd card... Try this solution posted by scrondone:

I can't really try it out myself cause I have never faced any sd issues (tried multiple builds on multile cards), but the approach sounds very promising to me (makes just sense ;))

OK ..
    I did ..
    Everything works WM7 + MDJ 4.6 in dualboot.
    I used a different approach, though it may be useful to someone who has had my problem (SD card not recognized by android), I describe it below:

1) I have installed, unlocked and with WM7 in a smal card (8GB)
    2) I formatted a 16 GB card in FAT 32 (cluster size = 32 o 64)
    3) I copied android on the card, 16 GB HD MDJ 4.6 with the file "rootfs.7z" amended by ricola7, who charged in his post here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=10702019&postcount=93
    4) I put the 16 GB card in the phone, and booted from the SD Magldr, installed and configured Android, and verified that it had recognized the SD
    5) I removed the 16GB card, resized the partition to about 8 GB
    6) I put the SD in the phone and checked that was recognized
    7) I removed the SD, and in the empty space on the 16GB card, and copy the partition created with WM7 when I installed it on the 8 GB card

Now everything works perfectly in dualboot ...
    Thanks again for the advice and ricola7 for the file "rootfs.7z" already modified
    Core Droid HD 0.4 Desire HD Sense build works for dual boot

Hey fellas,

I got an Android SD-BUild to boot (and run smooth) via Magldr.

Build Name: Core Droid HD 0.4 It's a Desire HD Sense build!
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=801607
    (This was my favorite sd build which I used over a month with no problems. It's fast and smooth)

I wrote a more detailed tutorial in the Core Droid HD 0.4 thread which covers dual booting with WP7 aswell:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=10689007&postcount=1106

What you have to do to get Core Droid to work:

3. Move the original rootfs.img file from your Core Droid Build (located in "Android" folder) to some place safe on your PC to have it backed up.

4. Now put my edited file that is attached here in the Android folder. (Obviously the attached file is zipped, so unzip it and then replace it )

5. Now just copy the Android folder to the root of your sd card and put it in the device.

6. Go to this tutorial from Darren and apply the steps regarding Magldr (10-23) (dont' worry, these last steps take only 2 minutes)

Now enjoy running WP7 and Core Droid!!!!!!!!

Greetz
    Dom

EDIT: I attached the edited init.rc too, but if you follow my steps above you just need the attached rootfs.img!!!

Modified rootfs for NexusHD2-FRG83D V1.8

Here is a modified rootfs.img for the NexusHD2-FRG83D V1.8 build.