• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[REF] How to boot your SD build from magldr [quick guide]

Search This thread

massage000

Jun 12, 2010

Killington said SuperRam 1.5 (Red line) but the build Letama moded is Super Ram Froyo with Sense :( I love DarkStone SuperRAM FroYo v1.5 (without Sense) very much , so anyone can make it to run via MagLdr (like Letama did with darkstone SuperRAM Sense v0.1)?

Last edited:

letama

Feb 13, 2008
Killington said SuperRam 1.5 (Red line) but the build Letama moded is Super Ram Froyo with Sense :( I love DarkStone SuperRAM FroYo v1.5 (without Sense) very much , so anyone can make it to run via MagLdr (like Letama did with darkstone SuperRAM Sense v0.1)?

Try this:

http://www.multiupload.com/6OKKTGRIN5

I think that's the one you're looking for, I can't remember if it was the exact same version, but it's ram froyo without sense from Darkstone.

Reactions: massage000

zarathustrax

Aug 29, 2007
SouthSide of Chicago

Check out post 2 in the thread in my signature. I have both letama's edited RAM builds along with many other edited builds all collected in my dropbox for easy, fast direct download.

Reactions: massage000

somebully

Nov 18, 2009
Will this work OK with the stock WM 6.5 ? I see OP keep refering to WM 7.. I'd like to have WM 6.5 (NAND) and darkstone SuperRAM run from SD..

I dont use WM 6.5 but for "emergency" I'd like to have a OS that I can trust (no matter how stupid that might sound with WM 6.5)

zarathustrax

Aug 29, 2007
SouthSide of Chicago
Will this work OK with the stock WM 6.5 ? I see OP keep refering to WM 7.. I'd like to have WM 6.5 (NAND) and darkstone SuperRAM run from SD..

I dont use WM 6.5 but for "emergency" I'd like to have a OS that I can trust (no matter how stupid that might sound with WM 6.5)

This thread is about editing sd builds to run with magldr for people dualbooting wp7. To keep WM6.5 is not stupid... I would have WM6.5 on my phone if I didn't have WP7.... I love the ability to run 2 OS's on my phone. I would rather make use of the unique ability of my device to dualboot than flash android to NAND and make my HD2 into just another android phone, which is nothing special. Dualbooting WM6.5 or WP7 with android on the SD card makes my HD2 able to do things no other phone can! Getting rid of the dualboot ability makes it so the HD2 can't do anything that many other android phones can't do as good or better. Winmo is a great OS, too. Hopefully a SD version of wm65 will come out soon so I can tri-boot WP7, Android, and WM6.5.

Anyways, back to the point... you don't have to do anything special to run builds with WM6.5. You don't use magldr... you use haret.exe from within winmo to boot android. Builds only needed to be edited to be able to run them from magldr. With winmo, most builds are already setup to boot correctly.

somebully

Nov 18, 2009
Anyways, back to the point... you don't have to do anything special to run builds with WM6.5. You don't use magldr... you use haret.exe from within winmo to boot android. Builds only needed to be edited to be able to run them from magldr. With winmo, most builds are already setup to boot correctly.
Thanks, I already run Android SD build with haret.exe.. So magldr dual boot wm6.5 nand + android sd build (edited to support nand so all hardware is initialized) is currently possible?

zarathustrax

Aug 29, 2007
SouthSide of Chicago
Thanks, I already run Android SD build with haret.exe.. So magldr dual boot wm6.5 nand + android sd build (edited to support nand so all hardware is initialized) is currently possible?

No, you can't run WM6.5 with magldr currently. Magldr will erase your WM65 rom, and you have to flash either WP7 or Android to NAND. Only way to dualboot WM65 and Android is with using haret from within winmo. Maybe in future releases MAGLDR may support WM65 on NAND.... we'll just have to wait and see.

But I do want to add, if you don't use winmo currently, you might as well get rid of it and put android or wp7 on NAND... I use WP7, because android runs pretty much just as good off SD as NAND... I tried NAND android for a month, and went back to SD builds once WP7 was released, and I noticed no difference in performance or battery life with SD android builds compared to NAND ROMs. Main plus about using Android on NAND is being able to use clockwork recovery and being able to switch out your SD cards while in android. But it's easy enough to backup and switch builds on SD, so I can live with clockwork.
Since I started using WP7, it has really grown on me. I like both WP7 and Android pretty equally right now, and would have trouble deciding which OS if I had to get a new phone. Luckily I don't have to pick right now. WP7 is still new, so it's still missing a lot of features and apps, but I think it will catch up to android and iphone quickly. It is such a smooth and unique OS... I started using it thinking I would hate it because of it being locked down and missing so many features that winmo and android had..... but after a couple days of use, I really began to like it. Any problems and missing features will be added as it's updated and it will get more customizable as our great devs and hackers hack apart the OS and get access to everything. I see great things in the future for WP7, and with awesome looking implementation of multitasking already announced, and with Nokia partnering up with MS, WP7 will grow quickly and I wouldn't be surprised if it surpasses Android and iphone within a few years.

The great thing about the HD2 is we can run WP7 as well as a HD7 except for a couple small problems, like only having 2 point multitouch, only having 65k colors on screen, and not being able to focus with builtin camera utility because we don't have a camera button that can be pressed halfway down to initialize auto-focus (but there's already an alternative camera app that solves this problem... just have to use it instead of builtin camera app). Also there's a green tint on pictures when you use a flash. But with WP7, it does enable 720p video recording, which WM65 and Android can't do on the HD2.
But the fact we can also boot android off SD and run that OS almost as good as native devices as well, that more than makes up for any bugs WP7 has. And any features or apps that WP7 doesn't have yet, Android probably does, so you have that as backup. You get to test out WP7 and have android as backup, to make up for anything WP7 can't do. There is no other phone that can run WP7 and android, and it will probably be a long time before there's another device that can, if ever. To me, this makes the HD2 better than any other phone available right now, and I will probably use my HD2 as my main device until the end of this year, at least, which will make it used for over 1 1/2 years... much longer than I ever used any other device. It's going to be very difficult to pick a new phone that can only run 1 OS. (I'm thinking I'll end up getting a WP7 phone when next generation of those phones come out, and get a 7" android tablet to cover my android needs... but I'm going to wait til after summer to see what's available and what's planned for each OS)

Anyways, sorry this turned into a long, off-topic rant and I kept rambling on... I just finished a huge cappuchino and got a major caffeine buzz going right now. I hope someone took something useful out of this.

somebully

Nov 18, 2009
Thank you for the comprehensive reply, found every part interesting.

I think I will go for the WM7 nand solution. My only concern is that whenever something has gone wrong with my phone (running Android), I could always trust WM 6.5 for my sms/call/GPS needs.

Is GPS working 100% in WM7?

Reactions: zarathustrax

zarathustrax

Aug 29, 2007
SouthSide of Chicago
Thank you for the comprehensive reply, found every part interesting.

I think I will go for the WM7 nand solution. My only concern is that whenever something has gone wrong with my phone (running Android), I could always trust WM 6.5 for my sms/call/GPS needs.

Is GPS working 100% in WM7?

As far as I know, GPS works fine. Haven't tested it much. One big thing missing from WP7 so far is a good Turn by turn GPS navigation app. There's an app that uses online data, so you need a data plan, but there's nothing that stores map data on phone yet. I'm sure that will change soon enough... but that's why it's good to have android as backup. GPS should work good in recent android builds.

Another thing you should know before jumping into wp7 is that WP7 will format your SD and make it so only WP7 can access or see your card, so you can't take card out and use a card reader on computer to transfer files. And to dualboot android, you have to partition your SD card so WP7 gets it's own partition, and you have a fat32 partition at the beginning of the card for android. You will be able to access the fat32 partition with a card reader in your computer, but not the WP7 partition. And WP7 can't access the fat32 partition... only it's own partition... so you can't share files between the 2 OS's. It can also be a little tricky setting up partition correctly, but there's a few threads about it... a link to one good tutorial is in my signature.
Also, WP7 can be picky about what kind of SD card will work for it. Some cards won't work or will cause lag or resets or other problems. I've had good luck with class 2 and 4 sandisk cards.
One last thing about WP7 on HD2 is that you need an activation code from microsoft to get live services working and marketplace. You basicly have to call, e-mail or chat with MS customer service, and tell them you have a HD7 that is asking for activation code... some people have trouble getting codes from MS because they don't support HD2's, and they'll sometimes ask for imei from your "HD7" or proof of purchase. But most people are successful within a few tries, if not first try.

You should go to the HD2 WP7 section and do some research and make sure you know what your doing and what you have to do before just jumping in and flashing. It can be complicated setting everything up, but I think it's worth it in the end. But definitely read a lot and make sure you're comfortable about knowing what you are doing.

Reactions: chiacp
Evo Carbon Remix

Would someone be so kind and edit my rootfs for me? I was unable to mount it using the Ext2 IFS driver with Virtual Clonedrive. When I mount it via clonedrive, Windows says it can't access the disk. Not sure what I'm missing, but probably my unfamiliarity with the IFS driver and how it works. Anyways, my Droid build is the EVO Carbon Remix V0.6 - Been running it stable for several months and would love to keep my data image in use on this new wp7 configuration.

Thanks!

My file
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1661062/files/rootfs.img

Wow, as I'm typing this, I was able to boot into my droid rom. With the original rootfs.img file! However the screen seems to be hanging on the slider screen and it says "preparing SD card" at the top and it says 'No service'. I'm unable to unlock the screen. Hmm.

Nevermind - found the edited file posted over here.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=945565

Works great now.

Last edited:

jasons1004

Sep 17, 2010
chicago
can i run android from nand and run an SD rom from magldr
i tried but it always runs the nand instead even tho i tried...
changing sd dir to Honeycomb (the folder that i have sd rom in) so there isnt 2 Android folders
change boot source to ad sd
i tried it with americandroid and miui and it always loads the nand android instead
i looked around here and either nobody said anything or i cant find anything except WP7 OR WinMO.....thanks in advance

Last edited:

sleepless.bs

Jan 14, 2009
Braunschweig
Hi everyone.

I followed the guide to boot the "PSFreedom-Rom" by darkstone (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=777120) in magdrl from sd.

I set up a ubuntu vm, mounted the rootfs.img, edited the init.rc and put complete build back on sd-card.no problem yet.

The rom booted up successfully from magldr "ad sd" (sd card prepared, unlock screen appears), but the touchscreen doesnt work at all-.-
hardware-keys work well (long press on powerbutton gives me the shutdown-menu)

Any ideas to this problem?

The other idea -that you can take every build you want and transform it with these files (Link) in a psjailbreak-build didnt work for me either. i edited the init.rc from the rom i chose, overwrote the files from the chosen rom with these from the previous post and put the folder on the sd ard. magldr gave me the "gogogo", then blackscreeen and then it throws me back to magldr.

if someone managed it to have android on NAND and psjailbreak-android on sd, pls share the solution.

Other solutions to have daily Android-NAND-build (rafdroid hd in my case) and the possibility to jailbreak your ps3 are welcome:)

i think some other people are interested in a solution too.

thx

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a very short guide for all of you looking to dual boot android from the sd card now that you have windows phone 7 taking up the nand space. It's originally posted by letama and I added a bit to it.

It's actually quite simple. All you have to do is add nand_init to one line in the init.rc file. For most builds, you will need to use a linux distro and mount the rootfs.img file, then edit the init rc file, add nand_init to this line:

Code:
    service ril-daemon /system/bin/rild -l /system/lib/libhtc_ril_wrapper.so -- -d /dev/smd0
    so it looks like this
    Code:
    service ril-daemon /system/bin/rild -l /system/lib/libhtc_ril_wrapper.so -- -d /dev/smd0 nand_init

For builds that uses the cedesmith initrd method, you have to mount the system.ext2 file, everything else is the same.

Save your file. Make sure you haven't changed the permissions and unmount the image. Copy the build to your microsd, set magldr to boot from the directory you copied it to and boot ad sd, you should be good to go.

Problems: booting it this way does not read from your startup.txt, you have to wait for cotulla to add it in future magldr. I'm not sure if the old method of updating (dumping everything in a folder named root) still works.

Disclaimer: I've tried this with jdms, hd2one, superram, desire_hd2 and mdj rEVOlution 2.3 and they all work fine with my old data image, your mileage may vary. This is a very quick guide because that's all I know :) Anymore I'll have to search google, so you might as well do that yourself :D Anyone who have a better method of editing feel free to post it. I'll add it here if you post it in this thread.

Tip from aled99 to edit without linux.
    I've managed to mount system.ext2 to Windows 7. Without VM and Linux at all.
    What tools are needed:
    1. Windows Ext2/Ext3 driver. You can get it from here.
    2. Any software to mount image to virtual drive. I've used Gizmo Drive, but there are others also working.

Tip: Gizmo doesn't show ext2 as supportable image type, when you browse for image. So, manually type *.* filter.

Some files that are already edited:
    CoreDroid HD 0.4 edited by ricola7
    Desire_hd2 system.ext2 file
    HD2ONE 0.3.5 system.ext2
    JDMS 1.62
    MDJ HD v4.6
    MDJ rEVOlution 2.3 rootfs.img
    NexusHD2-FRG83D v1.8 from nzxtneo
    Superram 1.5 from letama

Builds that already work with magldr:
    DL DesireZ v2.2 from dandiest
    HD2 Gingerbread/CyanogenMod7 from copenhagen
    MDJ 4.6 works too!

Hey fellas,

I got another Android SD-Build to boot (and run smooth) via Magldr.

Build Name: MDJ HD 4.6 It's a Desire HD Sense build!
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=859817

What you have to do to get MDJ to work:

It is CRUCIAL NOT to use the usb storage option of MAGLDR!!! Take the sd out of your device and connect it to your PC using an microsd adapter!!!!!!!

1. Backup all Data of your sd card to PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Then format the sd card using WINDOWS (quick format is good) (NOT PANASONIC FORMATTER OR WHATEVER). THE FORMATTING STEP IS ALSO CRUCIAL!!!

3. Move the original rootfs.img file from MDJ Build (located in "Android" folder) to some place safe on your PC to have it backed up.

2. Now put my edited file that is attached here in the Android folder. (Obviously the attached file is zipped, so unzip it and then replace it )

3. Now just copy the Android folder to the root of your sd card and put it in the device.

4. Go to this tutorial from Darren and apply the steps regarding Magldr (10-23) (dont' worry, these last steps take only 2 minutes)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=913815

Now enjoy running WP7 and MDJ!!!!!!!!

Have fun and I will help you out if I can

Greetz
    Dom

EDIT: To peops who are having the issue that android does not detect the sd card... Try this solution posted by scrondone:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=10725793&postcount=119

I can't really try it out myself cause I have never faced any sd issues (tried multiple builds on multile cards), but the approach sounds very promising to me (makes just sense ;))

Credits go to scrondone for this solution!!!!!
    OK ..
    I did ..
    Everything works WM7 + MDJ 4.6 in dualboot.
    I used a different approach, though it may be useful to someone who has had my problem (SD card not recognized by android), I describe it below:

1) I have installed, unlocked and with WM7 in a smal card (8GB)
    2) I formatted a 16 GB card in FAT 32 (cluster size = 32 o 64)
    3) I copied android on the card, 16 GB HD MDJ 4.6 with the file "rootfs.7z" amended by ricola7, who charged in his post here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=10702019&postcount=93
    4) I put the 16 GB card in the phone, and booted from the SD Magldr, installed and configured Android, and verified that it had recognized the SD
    5) I removed the 16GB card, resized the partition to about 8 GB
    6) I put the SD in the phone and checked that was recognized
    7) I removed the SD, and in the empty space on the 16GB card, and copy the partition created with WM7 when I installed it on the 8 GB card

Now everything works perfectly in dualboot ...
    Thanks again for the advice and ricola7 for the file "rootfs.7z" already modified
    Core Droid HD 0.4 Desire HD Sense build works for dual boot

Hey fellas,

I got an Android SD-BUild to boot (and run smooth) via Magldr.

Build Name: Core Droid HD 0.4 It's a Desire HD Sense build!
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=801607
    (This was my favorite sd build which I used over a month with no problems. It's fast and smooth)

I wrote a more detailed tutorial in the Core Droid HD 0.4 thread which covers dual booting with WP7 aswell:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=10689007&postcount=1106

What you have to do to get Core Droid to work:

It is CRUCIAL NOT to use the usb storage option of MAGLDR!!! Take the sd out of your device and connect it to your PC using an microsd adapter!!!!!!!

1. Backup all Data of your sd card to PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Then format the sd card using WINDOWS (quick format is good) (NOT PANASONIC FORMATTER OR WHATEVER). THE FORMATTING STEP IS ALSO CRUCIAL!!!

3. Move the original rootfs.img file from your Core Droid Build (located in "Android" folder) to some place safe on your PC to have it backed up.

4. Now put my edited file that is attached here in the Android folder. (Obviously the attached file is zipped, so unzip it and then replace it )

5. Now just copy the Android folder to the root of your sd card and put it in the device.

6. Go to this tutorial from Darren and apply the steps regarding Magldr (10-23) (dont' worry, these last steps take only 2 minutes)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=913815

Now enjoy running WP7 and Core Droid!!!!!!!!

Have fun and I will help you out if I can

Greetz
    Dom

EDIT: I attached the edited init.rc too, but if you follow my steps above you just need the attached rootfs.img!!!

EDIT: To peops who are having the issue that android does not detect the sd card... Try this solution posted by scrondone:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=10725793&postcount=119

I can't really try it out myself cause I have never faced any sd issues (tried multiple builds on multile cards), but the approach sounds very promising to me (makes just sense ;))

Credits go to scrondone for this solution!!!!!
    Modified rootfs for NexusHD2-FRG83D V1.8

Here is a modified rootfs.img for the NexusHD2-FRG83D V1.8 build.