[REF][POLL] Nexus 4 Issues [UPDATED 11/30/12]

N4 Defects

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread
A

ace7196

Here's a place to gather issues as you come across. Comment with additional issues as needed.

If you're happy, vote here.

Buzz from earphone speaker
- May be due to poor shielding. Some may be able to hear the frequency, some may not. 666FFF summed it up the best "...It's such a low crackle/hiss sound. You really need to press the phone against your head and be in a quiet room to hear it. Ambient sound is much louder. My only worry is if it is using battery constantly..."
Tell Google about it here. LEDs tend to produce a lot of noise, and with such a high density battery in the device, there could be some resonance occurring (since it buzzes/crackles all the time, but seems less so when in deep sleep).
[UPDATE] Seems it is a mfg. defect. Some people with their replacement phone/friend's phone have commented on it being fixed. However, others have reported the replacement is worse. So...buyer beware. If anyone knows how to figure out the batch number of our phones, maybe we could track it that way?

"Unreasonably" hot device
- The thermal conductivity is much higher in glass than plastic. I wouldn't worry about it.

Poor battery performance
- Give it a few charge cycles...Got 5 hours screen on, 20 hrs on, 5% left yesterday on first charge! Also disable location tracking via WiFi, and disable Google Currents auto-update.

Poor touchscreen sensitivity
- Not sure. Screen protector?

Feedback when plugged in.
- It's a ground loop. Google it and fix it.

Easy scratching/cracking
- Doesn't make much technical sense (http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/sites/all/files/GG2 PI Sheet Rev b_050912.pdf), but perhaps things are cracking due to high thermal gradients (GG2 has a lower coef of expansion than GG1, so not sure why that would be the case...perhaps the thinner material?).

Last edited:

kangxi

Jun 10, 2010
Orlando
When has an Android phone gotten more than a day with moderate use? RAZR Maxx doesn't count.

But yes, I have noticed it getting very hot especially when charging. Probably because it is glass.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: hirav
A

ace7196

When has an Android phone gotten more than a day with moderate use? RAZR Maxx doesn't count.

But yes, I have noticed it getting very hot especially when charging. Probably because it is glass.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

I get 2 with a crappy myTouch Q.

The thermal conductivity of glass is 5-10x greater than plastic, so I would think glass is the culprit.

GR36

Apr 1, 2011
If your going to make an issues list please make sure you take into account how many phones have this issue.

I dont have any of these issues, and the battery 'issue' is not an issue at all. I am waiting for someone to pipe up about a rattle:laugh: that can only be heard when shaking to phone near your ear!

Also take into account some issues phone may have will be faulty devices. A standard manufacturing fault rate is <3% however most are happy with <5%.

Reactions: unlvmike
A

ace7196

The speaker make some noises - also if it is not in use. Hold it near to your ear and you can hear it. (pls test it). It crackle low.

Is there a bug report or something?

The speaker (like to play music) or the earphone speaker (to listen to someone talk).

I already have the latter.

jholt1

May 5, 2012
My N4 seems to be getting pretty hot. Battery life could be better (it probably will). Rattling can only be heard shaking it quite violently next to my ear and even then it is quiet.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

gear.h34d.2012

Jun 15, 2010
Experiencing none of the aforementioned issues. Only thing is my volume rocker is barely squeaky. Guessing I got lucky.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

AntonJart

Oct 21, 2010
Reseda
1. Rattling part inside.
2. Clicking USB port: when you plug it in - slight motion of the phone makes a CLICK noise.
3. Camera on the back is not aligned in the the center.

il buono

May 12, 2011
Tucson
1. Rattling part inside.
2. Clicking USB port: when you plug it in - slight motion of the phone makes a CLICK noise.
3. Camera on the back is not aligned in the the center.

1. Barely noticeable on my device unless I shake it like a maniac next to my ear.
2. Don't have this
3. Mine is centered perfect. Keep in mind production is never 100% perfect so there's bound to be misalignment on occasion.

I also have yet to experience any warming and I've been messing around with it since early this morning.
Sent from my Nexus 4

tclaw

Apr 2, 2011
I just got mine today no issues other than i ran benchmarks test did heat up a little, I could feal the warmth but just barley wasn't hot burn me or uncomfortable to hold. i got it charged about 60% lasted 7hr of medium use, On first charge now let know tomorrow how i fair post screen shots of battery.

Nitemare3219

Nov 24, 2010
I actually managed to hear the rattling when talking on the phone by turning my body/head a bit quickly.

However, I don't care at all that it makes this noise.

Shamingo

May 4, 2012
I actually managed to hear the rattling when talking on the phone by turning my body/head a bit quickly.

However, I don't care at all that it makes this noise.

It should be noted that the most typical reason for a slight rattling in a smart phone is an auto-focus camera sensor/lens. This is an "issue" that seems to plague all smart phones with auto-focus cameras.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have an issue to add: Not everyone has a Nexus 4 yet, that's a HUGE issue!! :D
    Usefull posting. Go to your mum and cry

It's called a joke, buddy. ;) Laugh a little.
    I have an issue to add: Not everyone has a Nexus 4 yet, that's a HUGE issue!! :D

Usefull posting. Go to your mum and cry
    I noticed that endgadet was the only reviewer who said the nexus 4 screen looked washed out and not good, others said it was very similar to the iphone 5 and htc one x (which even-though I had an s3, I though the one x has the best screen to date, just couldn't live with a tegra 3 chip in a £500 phone :p ) Anyway opened the box and looked at the phone, but the screen looked bad. I thought it was me overreacting to the screen due to all my past smartphones having AMOLED screens. But I then noticed it looked worse than my nexus 7, which is known to have a slightly dull screen. Went to O2 (phone shop) and to my shock they had a nexus 4 on display. I compared the screens on both and mine looks so much less bright on max, contrast was significantly worse so things looked a lot less sharp. Finally the colors, especially greys, I have never seen looking so bad, and man I know about bad grey reproduction... I had a galaxy s2, which had horrendous color artifacts and yellow tint on greys and the htc desire which displayed anything grey as pink :eek: The color reproduction looked so wrong and way washed out on my screen. Also the washed out problem was much worse on low brightness, but for the play store the photo's attached below had to be both at max brightness so it doesn't show through the images quite as well.
    So after seeing the shop nexus 4 which looked the same quality as the iphone 5 and htc one x. I phoned up google play to ask for an advanced replacement (new whole replacement process thanks to 3 faulty nexus 7's :crying:) and they asked me to send a a few photo's comparing O2's and my nexus 4 so the technician who will look at my phone can see why I though it was faulty and if lg say that my device is fine, we have something to show them to argue that it isn't so I won't be charged. Basically it gives me some protection. :) Anyway got sent a link to buy a nexus 4, which I won't be charged for. Just waiting for that to come in the post.
    I really hope my next device isn't faulty like that but using deduction we can deduce that the dull screen to nice screen ratio is small if Engadget out of the hundred or so reviews I have watched are the only ones to say it has a bad screen. So I remain positive that my next one will be alright because if google can fix the low battery life for the devices hardware it will be my main phone. Because the screen on the shops nexus 4 was nicer than my galaxy s3's and the performance is night and day better, the multitasking is just... wow on the n4. I want the n4 to be my main phone so much, but the battery difference between the s3 and n4 is just too much to ignore. Who knows if my screen is bad, hopefully my battery is too. Wishing for a fault, there's a new one :p

Lastly, sorry about this post being long, it has been a very long day and I'm, struggling to collect my thoughts so I have just waffled a lot of this post. My aim of this is just to highlight to anyone there are a few devices out there with a iffy screen and I hope this post helps someone in noticing it so they can get a new one :) Anyway I hope this post helps someone :)

Edit: just attached an image of the nexus 7 vs my n4, as you can see my n4 look horrendous next to my n7 and the nexus 7 is supposed to have the worse screen of the two. Both are at lowest brightness.
    this thread is dumb

Also, accelerometer cant rattle... It's an IC...

most likely it's the autofocus, or maybe the battery shifting or volume rockers
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone