• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Refresh rate problem!

Search This thread

Himverma

Feb 11, 2014
Delhi
I tried the new Saturn live wallpapers (ported from miui 12) & I noticed black crush issue. However on using the screen balance app, I was able to minimise the black crush to certain extent. I think they need to recalibrate the display properly.
Try on your units if you're facing black crush as well.

Reactions: Xcientific

Xcientific

Aug 15, 2020
I tried the new Saturn live wallpapers (ported from miui 12) & I noticed black crush issue. However on using the screen balance app, I was able to minimise the black crush to certain extent. I think they need to recalibrate the display properly.

Oh I never knew an app like that existed, how would you go about using it and also did you have to sacrifice on contrast or any colour accuracy to fix the black crush?

Himverma

Feb 11, 2014
Delhi
Oh I never knew an app like that existed, how would you go about using it and also did you have to sacrifice on contrast or any colour accuracy to fix the black crush?

Even I didn't know that. I searched some articles online and found that Samsung galaxy S9 had the similar problem. To fix that, they used that app. I tried that but I don't think we need to use it. Black crush problem is there only when I see the screen in dark room and lowest brightness. Youtube video and netflix didn't have any problem though.

RizwanSaifi123

Aug 16, 2020
At low brightness i also saw only 60hz locked no matter what you set the refresh rate to . Also on adequate brightness i could only see 120hz on ufo test , i tried 144hz and 160hz but on ufo test it only calculated 120hz . Did anyone also faced this issue ?

ryu091

Oct 14, 2012
I have same issue to. I change to 60hz from 144hz, and changed to 144hz from 60hz agian.

And it doesn't work

trash rog phone

---------- Post added at 05:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 AM ----------

My phone is CN ROM and I flashed to WW ROM

Thats a real problem when you force the phone to WW ROM even though its originally in Chinese ROM.
To Fix this issue you need to wait a couple of Days, Weeks or Months for the updated Firmware ASUS that fix Refresh Rate problem when converted to WW from CN.

As of now you need to change it back to CN ROM if you want functions without bugs.

Xcientific

Aug 15, 2020
Thats a real problem when you force the phone to WW ROM even though its originally in Chinese ROM.
To Fix this issue you need to wait a couple of Days, Weeks or Months for the updated Firmware ASUS that fix Refresh Rate problem when converted to WW from CN.

As of now you need to change it back to CN ROM if you want functions without bugs.
So is this only an issue on CN versions? Or also a problem for WW?

Xcientific

Aug 15, 2020
Only from CN version that has undergo a non official conversion CN to WW. even if you check in youtube that you can imprint your original serial/deigital signature from CN to WW you cant really be sure that it will work all functions.

Oh I see so if I buy the Indian variant this will not be an issue? I can use 144hz even on low brightness settings and it'll work?

ryu091

Oct 14, 2012
Oh I see so if I buy the Indian variant this will not be an issue? I can use 144hz even on low brightness settings and it'll work?

Before you buy first check description of the product bcoz sometimes the seller is converted it manually from CN to WW.

Information Global, CN Version
● Global Version: Original official oversea version smartphone with the
International ROM. Contains the English packaging and instructions.
Support Google framework and OTA upgrade.
● International Version: Original CN version smartphone with the
International ROM. Contains the Chinese packaging and instructions, phone model belong to China.
Support Google framework and OTA upgrade.
( Note: some International Versions phone do not support OTA upgrade, we will note in the Main Feature )
● CN Version: Original CN version smartphone with CN ROM.
Contains the Chinese packaging and instructions, phone model belong to China.
Support OTA upgrade, not support Google framework.

Below is the link Aliexpress Asus Authorized Store i just bought mine its still on way excited to arrive nextweek or 2weeks from now. This is original Global Version Original Rom
US $828.31 38%OFF | Original ASUS ROG Phone 3 Global Version ZS661KS 5G Smartphone Snapdragon 865/865Plus NFC Android Q OTA Update Gaming Phone ROG3
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dWHHrny

DanieLovecraft

Aug 30, 2020
So, still no solution for this problem? I'm using smartphone mostly before sleep with lights turned off at minimal brightness, so this smartphone is almost useless for me with this epic failure. Cant't believe that it can't be fixed.

Himverma

Feb 11, 2014
Delhi
So, still no solution for this problem? I'm using smartphone mostly before sleep with lights turned off at minimal brightness, so this smartphone is almost useless for me with this epic failure. Cant't believe that it can't be fixed.
It's a software issue. Perhaps some developer would be able to find the root cause of this problem and maybe provide us with some adb commands to overwrite highest refresh rate even at lowest brightness

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
It's a software issue. Perhaps some developer would be able to find the root cause of this problem and maybe provide us with some adb commands to overwrite highest refresh rate even at lowest brightness

it´s not a software issue. As of now it´s a deliberate choice by asus.
It´s intended behaviour.

If your phone is unlocked you can override this behaviour by either flashing CleanSlate or Kirisakura Kernel. Both offer an option to override this behaviour.

EQLM

Jun 24, 2020
I have CN version with WW rom i dont have this problem at all

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200831-205052615.jpg
    Screenshot_20200831-205052615.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 82

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I tried to switch to 60hz from 144hz but when I try to switch it back to 144hz. Nothing happens. It's still on 60hz. On the status bar it shows 144hz it doesn't feel 144hz at all. It feels 60hz.
    Edit: I tried to reboot and factory reset the phone it doesn't work as well
    Edit 2: I found the culprit. When I have my brightness low it seem to lock at 60hz. What ever refresh rate I set it on (90hz, 120hz or 144hz) But when I adjust my brightness higher (40% atleast) it seems to fix the bug. But for someone like me who's not used to high brightness. This is a real problem.
    I am also facing similar issue. Refresh rate is toggle works for 60Hz,90Hz and 120Hz. When I set refresh rate to auto, it set refresh to 90Hz. If I set refresh rate to 144Hz , it set refresh rate to 120 Hz(status bar shows 144hz which I believe wrong). I am attaching screen shot of my buld version and test

Can you post here that you set the brightness to the lowest and set the refresh rate to 144hz and test it via UFO Test and displayhz.com and take a screenshot.
    No my phone was on WW and I downloaded the latest WW-firmware from Asus website.

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

Auto refresh rate is bound to set the refresh rate to 90Hz and then increase it when you play a game. With 144 Hz, I'm also getting the ufotest max at 120Hz. But this was not the issue. The issue was, even though we set the refresh rate to 144Hz, the screen locks the refresh rate at 60Hz. If we use screeninfo android app or UFOTEST.com, then also, the refresh rate was showing 60Hz. I had to reset the phone. Currently, I'm not changing the refresh rate to lower ones as I'm afraid it might lock the refresh rate again at 60Hz.

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Thanks a lot Sire :D. I thought I received a defective piece. Now I checked the refresh rate at higher brighness, then everything was fine. (Although at 144HZ also, the ufotest shows 120fps, but screeninfo app was showing 144Hz).

BTW, 'BLINK003' is this name inspired by Blackpink or something else?:p

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

Thanks a lot Sire :D. I thought I received a defective piece. Now I checked the refresh rate at higher brighness, then everything was fine. (Although at 144HZ also, the ufotest shows 120fps, but screeninfo app was showing 144Hz).

BTW, 'BLINK003' is this name inspired by Blackpink or something else?:p

I think its just a coincidence but I like blackpink tho. BTW. Can you send a report for a refresh rate issue in the developer option and comment here https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/33333/broken-refresh-rate
    That is my thread for refresh rate issue. Write what you experience. That helps a lot for them to fix the bug ASAP. Thanks man.
    No problem. Chrome have limited. Try with samsung browser