Refurbed T989s... Any good?

Search This thread

garwynn

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive Recognized Deve
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
Few coworkers of mine have T-mobile and are looking for a Samsung device for VPN support. Due to being in contract they're looking to get a good phone without breaking the bank. So that leads to the T-Mobile site selling refurbed T989s for $30.

Any refurbed owners want to offer any feedback? I think their greatest concern is the 90 day warranty - but from what I know on the E4GT it's extremely likely that if it breaks you'll notice it before then. They're not looking to root it or do anything special either, in case that's a factor.

TIA and I did search by XDA forum search on General & Q/A before posting - so hopefully that will avoid the flaming.

P.S. Hope you guys get the OTA today and that it has the eMMC fix in there as it is rumored to!

Last edited:

VoiD_Dweller

Aug 5, 2011
Orlando, FL
Bump

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

After sending mine back once for a random hardware issue, as always, tmobile sends me a refurb in pristine condition, but clearly its not brand new straight out of the box. I've had 0 problems with it and as with any other refurb'd products i've purchased always work just as good as new.

When I had HTC's Glacier / Mytouch 4g I went through 4 sendbacks from various stupid things I had done to it, all returns got refurbished back, which all worked fine (until I broke them myself)

I'd go for it. Whats the worst that can happen, you lose 30 bucks? Where is this link to the 30 dollar refurb?

garwynn

Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
Lets get serious, a refurbished phone upgrade or value plan?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Person was quoted 100 for new blaze or 30 for GS2 refurbed as a few of their upgrade options. Value plan, they mainly need for vpn support, good browser and terminal emulator.

My thought was get the GS2 for that price... But only if the refurb isn't junk.

jfarhat

Jul 14, 2007
Charlotte, NC
From my experience with warranty exchange, the refurb phones are as good as new. I have never had an issue with a refurb phone and would not worry about it. But for $30 that sounds really cheap for a GS2, even if it is refurbed. Do you have to sign a contract with them or something? The price just sound too good to be true for a straight out purchase NO CONTRACT involved.

sphogat

Feb 5, 2011
I have a refurbished T989
I had a new one but it stopped working properly, it began to act as if the desk dock or sometimes the car dock was attached to it. Became very annoying. Tmobile sent me a refurbished one, though I wasn't too happy about it. The packaging was identical to a new one. I was even allowed to keep the extra battery & back cover. They asked to send the old one back, and this was earlier this year. Everything seems ok so far "knock on wood"

The one thing I'd like to say is, I used to work at Best Buy Mobile. We'd sell insurance policies where people would pick up refurbished phones if they broke theirs, and honestly, those were garbage. Too many would come back with problems again...not good.
So you know, it's a risk

garwynn

Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
From my experience with warranty exchange, the refurb phones are as good as new. I have never had an issue with a refurb phone and would not worry about it. But for $30 that sounds really cheap for a GS2, even if it is refurbed. Do you have to sign a contract with them or something? The price just sound too good to be true for a straight out purchase NO CONTRACT involved.

2 yr contract reqd according to site. Maybe they're just trying to move old stock?

garwynn

Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
I have a refurbished T989
I had a new one but it stopped working properly, it began to act as if the desk dock or sometimes the car dock was attached to it. Became very annoying. Tmobile sent me a refurbished one, though I wasn't too happy about it. The packaging was identical to a new one. I was even allowed to keep the extra battery & back cover. They asked to send the old one back, and this was earlier this year. Everything seems ok so far "knock on wood"

The one thing I'd like to say is, I used to work at Best Buy Mobile. We'd sell insurance policies where people would pick up refurbished phones if they broke theirs, and honestly, those were garbage. Too many would come back with problems again...not good.
So you know, it's a risk

That's why I wanted to get some opinions before deciding to suggest or not. My thinking is that there isn't much in the GS2 that easily breaks, so if they go for it then watch it carefully...

cubanb95

May 18, 2012
New York
After sending mine back once for a random hardware issue, as always, tmobile sends me a refurb in pristine condition, but clearly its not brand new straight out of the box. I've had 0 problems with it and as with any other refurb'd products i've purchased always work just as good as new.

When I had HTC's Glacier / Mytouch 4g I went through 4 sendbacks from various stupid things I had done to it, all returns got refurbished back, which all worked fine (until I broke them myself)

I'd go for it. Whats the worst that can happen, you lose 30 bucks? Where is this link to the 30 dollar refurb?

Same here, I hardbricked my phone a couple months ago and I'm sure the replacement I received was a refurb. I haven't had any issues with it so far.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA

ITALIANNYC

Apr 20, 2012
Bump

I have a refurb right now. Looks brand new. Send as a handset exchange from my amaze cuz they had none to send me. Youd never get a refurb with any damage or scratches from T-Mobile. I also have the premium handset protection so its always warrentied. Dont see the need to pay extra when I always can get other ones if there is problems.

Also for the person who said Blaze or SG 2, comeon now, thats an obv answer

G1ForFun

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 1, 2010
If you get a refurb, you can count on it being the Made in Korea version produced pre December, 2011. All of those devices are known to exhibit mediocre screens when compared to the post December 2011 versions that are Made in China.

When I say mediocre screens, I am referring to the lines, blobs and poorly calibrated color. Though for $30, it is a good deal.

Last edited:

ITALIANNYC

Apr 20, 2012
If you get a refurb, you can count on it being the Made in Korea version produced pre December, 2011. All of those devices are known to exhibit mediocre screens when compared to the post December 2011 versions that are Made in China.

When I say mediocre screens, I am referring to the lines, blobs and poorly calibrated color. Though for $30, it is a good deal.

How can you tell which one you have? Mine is a refurb I got last week and seems perfectly fine