Regain Market access on your NST/G

Search This thread

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I ran across this "solution" while investigating ways to avoid installing GApps on low-RAM tablets. It is not a perfect solution but if you want to be able to search, browse, etc., and download/install PlayStore apps right on your device, this may serve that purpose.

The app is called the Yalp Store and is available on F-Droid: https://f-droid.org/packages/com.github.yeriomin.yalpstore/

It runs just fine on the NST/G. Options are accessed via the menu "button". As default configured, it uses a generic shared login to access the PlayStore. You could substitute your own credentials, but I would advise against this as using this app would probably make the big G very angry. Search works fine, apps that are not compatible are listed as such and you can set the app to instantly download/install, just like the real thing. The app keeps track of your on-board apps, and can even be set to check for updates (probably unwise, as updates are likely to break functionality for our old devices).

Does this mean I don't need GApps?

Maybe, but probably not. One of the other things I discovered while pursuing this issue is that an increasing number of PlayStore apps which have nothing to do with Google sync or logins, incorporate a Google Framework Services API. So you may be able to download and install them but they will either refuse to run or else whine constantly about needing said Services to be installed. While GApps on the NST/G is not good for much these days except maybe Google Books sync, its hidden system files--which include the Services--may be needed to run PlayStore apps (like even the NPR app--go figure).

There are a few Xposed modules I tried that appear to be able to circumvent this issue (though not for apps requiring Google sync), but you're not going to get Xposed on the NST/G!

Anyway, there are a lot of other places to get apps (like the F-Droid store itself) but even if you get a "PlayStore" app from one of these sources, it may refuse to run if you don't have the GApps package installed. The Yalp Store app indicates which apps rely on GFS.

Edit: oh, and quickest way to exit the app is Settings > More > Log Out
Edit-Edit: no need for GApps except for Google Books. See https://xdaforums.com/nook-touch/general/gapps-install-tested-confirmed-t3782459

Last edited:

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
the yalp apk installed but it isn't opening ... :(

Wow...something majorly funky going on there with the packages at F-Doid and the GitHub. Version 0.32 is as you describe. Versions 0.31-0.30 install with a lot of Chinese characters in the title bar and then do not run. Version 0.29 from the GitHub gives a package parsing error like it's for the wrong Android version.

Version 0.28 from the GitHub is the newest that functions for me (although the anonymous login is broken). I've attached a copy below and I've made an issue report to the developer via the GitHub.

Edit: here is the response I received to my report of the issue to the developer: "Apparently, new build-tools (specifically aapt2) generate apks which are unusable on old androids.". So....it's not clear whether this will be addressed or not. One of the intents of the simplicity of the Yalp Store was to keep it available to Android systems as old as 2.0. Version 0.28 functions fine except for the anonymous login. If you use your own Google login you should be good, although you might want to open a separate account just for that purpose--to be safe.

Attachments

• com.github.yeriomin.yalpstore_28.apk
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
update

Just a heads-up on the Yalp Store. The issues with installation, etc., seem to have been resolved with version 0.33 (available via the developer GitHub as of this writing, but not yet on F-Droid).

I had an issue or two at first with search but after exiting and reopening the app everything seemed to work fine. Categories are a little slow, but they do work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I ran across this "solution" while investigating ways to avoid installing GApps on low-RAM tablets. It is not a perfect solution but if you want to be able to search, browse, etc., and download/install PlayStore apps right on your device, this may serve that purpose.

The app is called the Yalp Store and is available on F-Droid: https://f-droid.org/packages/com.github.yeriomin.yalpstore/

It runs just fine on the NST/G. Options are accessed via the menu "button". As default configured, it uses a generic shared login to access the PlayStore. You could substitute your own credentials, but I would advise against this as using this app would probably make the big G very angry. Search works fine, apps that are not compatible are listed as such and you can set the app to instantly download/install, just like the real thing. The app keeps track of your on-board apps, and can even be set to check for updates (probably unwise, as updates are likely to break functionality for our old devices).

Does this mean I don't need GApps?

Maybe, but probably not. One of the other things I discovered while pursuing this issue is that an increasing number of PlayStore apps which have nothing to do with Google sync or logins, incorporate a Google Framework Services API. So you may be able to download and install them but they will either refuse to run or else whine constantly about needing said Services to be installed. While GApps on the NST/G is not good for much these days except maybe Google Books sync, its hidden system files--which include the Services--may be needed to run PlayStore apps (like even the NPR app--go figure).

There are a few Xposed modules I tried that appear to be able to circumvent this issue (though not for apps requiring Google sync), but you're not going to get Xposed on the NST/G!

Anyway, there are a lot of other places to get apps (like the F-Droid store itself) but even if you get a "PlayStore" app from one of these sources, it may refuse to run if you don't have the GApps package installed. The Yalp Store app indicates which apps rely on GFS.

Edit: oh, and quickest way to exit the app is Settings > More > Log Out
    Edit-Edit: no need for GApps except for Google Books. See https://xdaforums.com/nook-touch/general/gapps-install-tested-confirmed-t3782459