ReLaunch, the best NST launcher: version 1.4.0 just released

Search This thread

Joydeck

Sep 28, 2012
I still use the original Relaunch app on my NST. What's involved in installing and uninstalling Relaunch 1.4.4?

To install, do I just run the new apk? From the new app, do I select Settings|StartMode|Run as Launcher? Is that all?

If I need to revert to the original Relaunch, do I just repeat the above process with my old apk? Is all this risk free?

I still use the original Relaunch app on my NST. What's involved in installing and uninstalling Relaunch 1.4.4?

To install, do I just run the new apk? From the new app, do I select Settings|StartMode|Run as Launcher? Is that all?

If I need to revert to the original Relaunch, do I just repeat the above process with my old apk? Is all this risk free?
To update to a newer version, just click on its apk file.

To roll back to an older version, uninstall the current version, then install the new version.

Reactions: Joydeck

Joydeck

Sep 28, 2012

To roll back to an older version, uninstall the current version, then install the new version.

Thank you. Both update and rollback worked fine. But, for the time being, I have returned to my original version of ReLaunch for two reasons.

Firstly, tapping half the buttons on the home screen of ReLaunch 1.4.4 (including Favorites, Recent Files, Recent Apps, and Settings) had no effect. Do I have to set up each button?

Secondly, I had hoped that Search would work properly in ReLaunch 1.4.4 but, as in the original Relaunch, the search finds only a small fraction of the books searched for. My folder structure is several levels deep. Have others found this?

st0rmz

Nov 29, 2016
Anyone have the newest English version to download? Is the 1.4.3 version linked in the above post the only one available to download nowadays?

itachi1

Apparently the Russian dev on 4pda and the-ebook.org worked offline from Github between 1.38 and 1.4.4, and released source for 1.4.4 with nothing inbetween except some binary test versions and point releases.

However, a new dev has stepped up to work with the 1.3.8 source, releasing ReLaunchX, available on f-droid app store or via direct download:

https://f-droid.org/packages/com.gacode.relaunchx/

Discussion thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284418

plusz did make a fork of the original ReLaunch with 1.4.4 source if someone wants to build that version, but he wasn't impressed with the 1.4.4 bin and source, citing some glitches, so concentrated on adding features and fixing bugs in 1.3.8 instead. There are people in the thread using X on the NST / NST Glowlight, so hopefully it continues to develop and support more devices. Dev is targeting Onyx Boox Max as well.

My only concern is that he continues to support the Nook's SDK, but seems to be consistent in that regard, requiring Android 2.1 and up.

Joydeck

Sep 28, 2012
Searching for books in folders

...I had hoped that Search would work properly in ReLaunch 1.4.4 but, as in the original Relaunch, the search finds only a small fraction of the books searched for. My folder structure is several levels deep. Have others found this?

I've finally solved the ReLaunch searching issue. Search will not find any book inside a folder, whose name contains a comma, or in any of its subfolders. For instance, a folder named Austen, Jane is unsearchable while Austen; Jane works just fine.

This seems to result from the use by ReLaunch of a comma in Search root to separate directory lists.

Incidentally, Relaunch 1.3.8 and ReLaunchX both work way better than Relaunch 1.4.4.

spedinfargo

Jul 11, 2011
Under "On-Screen Button Actions" in advanced settings there is some options to do things with double-tap, press and hold, etc. One of the choices for an action is "Open Favorite #". Does anyone know what this does?

I'm trying to find the easiest way to launch the Nook app from within Relaunch. I would love if I can just add the Nook application as a favorite and find a very quick action to do this. Not sure how I make a relation between "Favorite #" and a specific favorite or app though.

Help?

EDIT: never mind... I found the "launch external app" option which lets me select Nook. I also figured out that there is a difference between the "Favorites" button and the "Aplication Favorites" button ... got it now.

Last edited:

fsa259

Apr 3, 2018
Top bar with time, battery status and shortcut to open book

In relaunch, when going to the settings menu a top bar opens which has an icon on the top left for going to the currently open book and on the top right has the battery icon and time. Is there a way of getting this to show on the main relaunch page when the N button is clicked?

Christos

Aug 12, 2006
Ipswich, Suffolk
Okay, I was accessing ReLaunch by using the Home button, where it was an option. I went into Settings, and saw "Button Assignments" or whatever. I only changed the long-press on n. I looked at the others, and left them on default. I assumed that was ReLaunch's default, but it's Nook's. Now I can't access ReLaunch. sigh.

I just did the same as you, after many happy years of using this on my Nook.

Did you resolve the issue - if so, how please!? :crying:

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I just did the same as you, after many happy years of using this on my Nook.

Did you resolve the issue - if so, how please!? :crying:

So let me see if I understand this. You rooted using NookManager and then used NookTouchModManager settings to assign a long-press of the "n" button to Relaunch--is that right? For some reason that setting no longer works? So that means you have no way of accessing any apps, just the B&N stuff. Correct?

If all of the above is true, there is only one thing I can think of that might work (unless you have a NookManager backup you can restore). You can root again using NookManager. There should be no need to do a reset. If you updated your Relaunch app beyond what is included in NookManager, you can replace the copy of the apk file on your NookManager card with the version you have been using before rerooting and maybe you will lose nothing at all. You will, of course, get back the defunct Amazon App Store (uninstall) but everything else should just reinstall without any problem. I think.

If there were some way into the system (like ADB via USB) then you could just install another launcher so that a press of the "Home" quicknav "button" would bring up the "picker", but I don't think it's a defaults issue. Something seems to have gone haywire with the NTMM app and that long-press "n" just doesn't get you to Relaunch. FWIW, if you get this sorted I would suggest you make Relaunch the default home app and assign the long-press "n" to the B&N home screen. I mean, do you really use that B&N Home screen?

Christos

Aug 12, 2006
Ipswich, Suffolk
So let me see if I understand this. You rooted using NookManager and then used NookTouchModManager settings to assign a long-press of the "n" button to Relaunch--is that right? For some reason that setting no longer works? So that means you have no way of accessing any apps, just the B&N stuff. Correct?

If all of the above is true, there is only one thing I can think of that might work (unless you have a NookManager backup you can restore). You can root again using NookManager. There should be no need to do a reset. If you updated your Relaunch app beyond what is included in NookManager, you can replace the copy of the apk file on your NookManager card with the version you have been using before rerooting and maybe you will lose nothing at all. You will, of course, get back the defunct Amazon App Store (uninstall) but everything else should just reinstall without any problem. I think.

If there were some way into the system (like ADB via USB) then you could just install another launcher so that a press of the "Home" quicknav "button" would bring up the "picker", but I don't think it's a defaults issue. Something seems to have gone haywire with the NTMM app and that long-press "n" just doesn't get you to Relaunch. FWIW, if you get this sorted I would suggest you make Relaunch the default home app and assign the long-press "n" to the B&N home screen. I mean, do you really use that B&N Home screen?

Yes, that's exactly what has happened. I had been quite happily using ReLaunch for years and then for some reason, the other day, I went into Nook Touch Manager and unassigned the button for ReLaunch! :crying:

I have tried re-running the root via NookManager, but to no avail. The root process states that it has completed correctly, but the Nook just starts up again with the B&N home screen.

I never use the B&N home screen - I am in the UK and they have pulled out of the UK market, shutting up shop here. So the B&N home screen is useless to me.

I ended up having to do a factory reset and then re-rooting the device in order to get this to work.
Thanks for your help though @nmyshkin

Cmarois

Jan 21, 2019
Is it working on Glowlight plus?

Hi, is this launcher working on Nook Glowlight plus?
If so, Would I have a choice between Nook UI and this UI?

I am trying to find a viable launcher for the Glowlight plus. Tried Zeam, but it won't load, the logs are showing something is hanging (looping). So I am looking for something else.
I am looking at running Samba on the glowlight, so that a home-cloud-webapp I did could sync with the nook.

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The development of ReLaunch has recently been progressing rapidly again thanks to Haron who took over as the lead developer, and numerous contributions from other people. As a result of all the recent work, version 1.4.0 has just been released as a significant update. The new version also includes a complete rewrite of the English localization, thanks to yours truly.

ReLaunch is a versatile launcher application for the Nook Simple Touch (Sony PRS-T1 is also supported). It provides a complete replacement of the Home screen functionality, and can be used with any number and combination of book-reading applications. ReLaunch allows extensive customization of the user interface, which gives you quick access to the features and third-party applications you use most.

For an overview of the features available, please refer to the screenshots below:

ReLaunch-1.4.0-Home.jpg ReLaunch-1.4.0-Composite.jpg

Downloads from Haron's Dropbox: Link source: Haron's post on The E-Book Forum (in Russian).

Please help improve the English translation by reporting errors and contributing fixes back in this thread. Please quote verbatim the currently displayed text, and specify the steps necessary to reproduce if ambiguous. The following template might come handy:
    Code:
    Current Text: ""
    Replacement: ""
    If you want to go one step further or foresee making a lot of changes to the translation, please download the English Translation Source Files above (the file res.zip) and edit the XML files there directly. This is also the recommended procedure for people interested in translating ReLaunch to other languages: the current version includes English, Russian as well as a possibly outdated Spanish translation.
    does anyone still have the latest apk or source files? all of the dropbox links are dead..
    Here is the linky to my saved copy of ReLaunch_1.4.3.apk
    Thanks. this made it. The problem with the buttons still exists though. Do they work for you or is it just me?

Sent from my GT-I9070 using XDA Free mobile app

I had the same issue, "restore defaults" fixed it for me, it seems that the update broke the saved config for the button actions
    1.4.3 and 1.4.4

The development of ReLaunch has recently been progressing rapidly again thanks to Haron who took over as the lead developer, and numerous contributions from other people. As a result of all the recent work, version 1.4.0 has just been released as a significant update. The new version also includes a complete rewrite of the English localization, thanks to yours truly.

ReLaunch is a versatile launcher application for the Nook Simple Touch (Sony PRS-T1 is also supported). It provides a complete replacement of the Home screen functionality, and can be used with any number and combination of book-reading applications. ReLaunch allows extensive customization of the user interface, which gives you quick access to the features and third-party applications you use most.

For an overview of the features available, please refer to the screenshots below:

View attachment 3222044 View attachment 3222045

Downloads from Haron's Dropbox: Link source: Haron's post on The E-Book Forum (in Russian).

Please help improve the English translation by reporting errors and contributing fixes back in this thread. Please quote verbatim the currently displayed text, and specify the steps necessary to reproduce if ambiguous. The following template might come handy:
    Code:
    Current Text: ""
    Replacement: ""
    If you want to go one step further or foresee making a lot of changes to the translation, please download the English Translation Source Files above (the file res.zip) and edit the XML files there directly. This is also the recommended procedure for people interested in translating ReLaunch to other languages: the current version includes English, Russian as well as a possibly outdated Spanish
    translation.

Use Google Translate to give ya a better idea of what's in:

1.4.3 Original post
    http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1255890#1255890

1.4.4 Original forum
    http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1278819#1278819

Thanks Haron, thanks OP