[RELEASE][6-14-2011] CWM Ported to the Revolution 4G!

Search This thread

thecubed

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Howdy all XDA Folks!
To you, I present ClockworkMod Recovery on the LG Revolution 4G

After many hours of late-night coding and testing by some fearless testers who, without though for their device's safety, allowed me to test building ClockworkMod Recovery despite the fact that I don't actually own this device! :)

First of all, let me get a few things out of the way:
Credits:
Special thanks to the following people for helping out in one way or another...
  • Majorpay
  • birdman
  • Nemith
  • Fattire
  • STACKS (initial testing)
  • Koush / CyanogenMod team for ClockworkMod

Super special thanks to those who've donated so far!

General Information
This is BETA software! There are no guarantees that this won't instabrick your device. That's not to say it hasn't been tested, but if you happen to not follow directions or just have bad luck in general, I can't be blamed for your misfortune.

Requirements
To use this, you must:
  • be rooted
  • have ADB shell access to your phone; and
  • be able to follow directions EXACTLY

Downloads
To download the first release of ClockworkMod Recovery for the LG Revolution 4G, use the following download links:

[SERVER 1] http://bit.ly/iVa1Kx
[SERVER 2] https://github.com/downloads/thecubed/android_device_lge_revolution/recovery-cwm-pr1.tar.gz

Code:
# md5sum recovery-cwm-pr1.img
a1c61d06fa0f029411cf4cde44639b3f recovery-cwm-pr1.img
Check md5sum before flashing!

Instructions
This is what everyone's been waiting for, isn't it?
You sure you don't want to take a jog, or get some fresh air first?
Okay. You're sure. I won't try to change your mind.
I will, however admonish you-- follow these directions EXACTLY.
If you don't, I can't guarantee that your phone will work afterwords.

1. To begin, download the .tar.gz file from the above links, and extract it somewhere easy, like c:\android (on windows) or ~/android (on linux/OSX)
  2. Let's check the md5sum of the extracted file.
    If you're in linux, run
    Code:
    md5sum recovery-cwm-pr1.img
    It should match EXACTLY the md5sum posted under the download link. If it doesn't STOP. You have either not extracted it correctly or the download was bad. Try again until you get the correct md5sum.
    If you're on windows, you'll have to find a md5sum application to download.
  3. Once you've got the file extracted correctly, we need to copy it to your phone.
    You can either put it on your Internal SD card using the storage mode over usb, or through ADB.
    If you choose to do it through ADB, just use
    Code:
    adb push <path/to>/recovery-cwm-pr1.img /sdcard/
    Make SURE that you copy the .img file, not the .tar.gz file!
  4. After you have the recovery copied to your SDcard, it's time to install it on your phone.
    ADB shell into your phone.
  5. Once you're adb shell'd into your phone, make sure you have superuser access by typing
    Code:
    su
    and your prompt should change from a "$" to a "#"
  6. Now, let's backup your original recovery image, just in case. Issue
    Code:
    cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p14 > /sdcard/recovery-original.img
    to back up your original recovery image for a rainy day. Keep that safe!
  7. Once we've got that backed up, let's copy over the new recovery image.
    Code:
    cat /dev/zero > /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
    cat /sdcard/recovery-cwm-pr1.img > /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
    You'll get an error on the first command, something like "no space left on device". That's okay, we're just clearing out the orignal recovery image.
  8. Now, we MUST check to make sure that our push of recovery worked. Let's run md5sum on it.
    Code:
    busybox md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
    Should return back the same hash as above in the download section. If it does not, STOP! Post here explaining, and get a developer's attention ASAP.
  9. Lastly, let's make a backup of your MISC partition. This is not required, but is HIGHLY recommended.
    Code:
    cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p8 > /sdcard/p8-backup.img
    This helps us incase somehow your phone gets gunged or weird things happen.

Congrats! You now have ClockworkMod Recovery installed!

Accessing Recovery
To access recovery, power off your device and hold VOLUME DOWN and POWER until you see the LG logo.
You will be asked to confirm a 'wipe' of your device. Don't worry! Our custom recovery ignores this.
Your datas will be perfectly safe.

Pictures!
Here's a few screenshots from Majorpay's device:
http://i.imgur.com/DYfNK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Q7qE4.jpg

Video!
How to access ClockworkMod Recovery Youtube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLb5VJTEDL8

Donation Information
I love to develop. I don't do this for money, I do it just for the "thanks".
However, I don't actually own a Revolution-- I'm not even on Verizon!
If I can get enough donations together, I will have my friend purchase the device on contract for $250 at a Verizon retail location.
With that device, I plan on doing quite a lot- creating stock 2.2 roms, attempting to port CyanogenMod7 and a bunch of other awesome things.

Please don't feel obligated to donate, but if you feel like it, you can click the button below to donate any amount you wish to me.
Thank you in advance!

Contact Me!
Got an issue with this release? Post here!
Want to contact me privately? PM me on XDA or Rootzwiki
Twitter your thing? Follow me, @tylerfixer on Twitter

Join the official LG Revolution dev IRC channel at freenode on #lgrevolution
I'm IOMonster on IRC!

Technical information
Breakdown of the LG software posted by me here: http://www.wiki.rootzwiki.com/wiki/index.php/LG_Revolution_Software_Breakdown

Source will be released as soon as I figure out how to merge all my changes to recovery/minui/graphics.c into my device directory

Last edited:

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
I'm sleeping now, so most likely tomorrow afternoon :)

In all honesty, I need to do a few more "sanity checks" to make sure that this is 100% safe to release. Right now it's not.

The sanity checks won't take very long, I just have to sit down and think for a while--but right now my brain's out of "go-juice", so I'm going to head back to bed :)

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Good afternoon all!
I have a few chores to run today, but as soon as I get back, I will select a few testers on IRC to begin round 2 of testing.

The problem I am facing (very minor issue) is that the MISC: partition image (p8) seems to have shrunk by 1 byte (yep, majorpay- the dump is 1 byte off, everything's shifted by 1 byte to the right).

I'd like to see if this happens reliably on other devices. There is no bricking risk, the only thing I ask is that you have your phone rooted, you have knowledge of the linux command prompt, and are willing to let me teamviewer in to your desktop if something goes awry.

Thanks everyone for your patience and kind words

Reactions: randymandy

majorpay

Jun 6, 2010
Colorado
Good afternoon all!
I have a few chores to run today, but as soon as I get back, I will select a few testers on IRC to begin round 2 of testing.

The problem I am facing (very minor issue) is that the MISC: partition image (p8) seems to have shrunk by 1 byte (yep, majorpay- the dump is 1 byte off, everything's shifted by 1 byte to the right).

I'd like to see if this happens reliably on other devices. There is no bricking risk, the only thing I ask is that you have your phone rooted, you have knowledge of the linux command prompt, and are willing to let me teamviewer in to your desktop if something goes awry.

Thanks everyone for your patience and kind words

Since it didn't happen between Dev and FTP, where do you suppose this happened?

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
I'm thinking the cat command may have messed with it, I'll try pulling it using dd next time.

I think I'll just grab an image of it within android (FACT_RESET_6), and another from within recovery (FACT_RESET_3) to get a better baseline, since the p8 image we have now is from a while ago, let's see if maybe the original image is bad.

I'm just not sure why the whole image would shrink and suddenly be offset by 1 byte... it's strange to do all that (shifting everything by 1 byte) just for recovery mode...

majorpay

Jun 6, 2010
Colorado
Clearly it didn't affect the operation last night, so it must have been on the pull. So in need of more testing tonight? (hopefully earlier)

And just to set your mind at ease that we may be cluttering up your release thread, I'll go back and edit on release with "Woots!!!" or something. I probably should have used PM. My bad, just thought of that.

Last edited:

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
I'm with my friend right now, he's probably going to get this phone either today or tomorrow.
We'll go for another round of testing tonight around 7pm Pacific time.

To all who've donated so far--thank you so very much! I will be getting you guys a customized build with any features you like added (custom colors, background image, you pick) as a thank you.

I'll post here when I get home and am ready to do the final round of testing before public release.

majorpay

Jun 6, 2010
Colorado
I'm with my friend right now, he's probably going to get this phone either today or tomorrow.
We'll go for another round of testing tonight around 7pm Pacific time.

To all who've donated so far--thank you so very much! I will be getting you guys a customized build with any features you like added (custom colors, background image, you pick) as a thank you.

I'll post here when I get home and am ready to do the final round of testing before public release.

Ready whenever... I'll be hanging out with the daughter until you post in. :D

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
List of fixes for private beta build "recovery-cwm-pr1"
  • Stuck-in-recovery issue is now fixed, thanks to a strategically added "sleep" command :)
  • Cursory test of nandroid backup (not restore) is complete, restore should not brick your device.
  • CPU governor set to "ondemand" as opposed to "performance" to help alleviate some system stability issues with ADB.

Public release candidate build "recovery-cwm-rc1" will be built here shortly and available for public consumption.

Stick around!

majorpay

Jun 6, 2010
Colorado
Excellent work! Now I can finally get some much needed rest :D

Sorry I wasn't able to stick around to do the deodexing. I'll get to that soon. This morning, I didn't wake up on time (4 alarms failed to wake me up), and my daughter almost missed her appointment! Oh well, at least I got 5 1/2 hours of sleep in last night.

Look forward to working again with you in the near future if you're feeling up to it.

My resources are at your disposal if you need a hand. Lets just try to work on getting more human hours into the mix... ha!

(oh, and enjoy your day at the beach!)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Howdy all XDA Folks!
    To you, I present ClockworkMod Recovery on the LG Revolution 4G

After many hours of late-night coding and testing by some fearless testers who, without though for their device's safety, allowed me to test building ClockworkMod Recovery despite the fact that I don't actually own this device! :)

First of all, let me get a few things out of the way:
    Credits:
    Special thanks to the following people for helping out in one way or another...
    • Majorpay
    • birdman
    • Nemith
    • Fattire
    • STACKS (initial testing)
    • Koush / CyanogenMod team for ClockworkMod

Super special thanks to those who've donated so far!

General Information
    This is BETA software! There are no guarantees that this won't instabrick your device. That's not to say it hasn't been tested, but if you happen to not follow directions or just have bad luck in general, I can't be blamed for your misfortune.

Requirements
    To use this, you must:
    • be rooted
    • have ADB shell access to your phone; and
    • be able to follow directions EXACTLY

Downloads
    To download the first release of ClockworkMod Recovery for the LG Revolution 4G, use the following download links:

[SERVER 1] http://bit.ly/iVa1Kx
    [SERVER 2] https://github.com/downloads/thecubed/android_device_lge_revolution/recovery-cwm-pr1.tar.gz

Code:
    # md5sum recovery-cwm-pr1.img
    a1c61d06fa0f029411cf4cde44639b3f recovery-cwm-pr1.img
    Check md5sum before flashing!

Instructions
    This is what everyone's been waiting for, isn't it?
    You sure you don't want to take a jog, or get some fresh air first?
    Okay. You're sure. I won't try to change your mind.
    I will, however admonish you-- follow these directions EXACTLY.
    If you don't, I can't guarantee that your phone will work afterwords.

1. To begin, download the .tar.gz file from the above links, and extract it somewhere easy, like c:\android (on windows) or ~/android (on linux/OSX)
    2. Let's check the md5sum of the extracted file.
      If you're in linux, run
      Code:
      md5sum recovery-cwm-pr1.img
      It should match EXACTLY the md5sum posted under the download link. If it doesn't STOP. You have either not extracted it correctly or the download was bad. Try again until you get the correct md5sum.
      If you're on windows, you'll have to find a md5sum application to download.
    3. Once you've got the file extracted correctly, we need to copy it to your phone.
      You can either put it on your Internal SD card using the storage mode over usb, or through ADB.
      If you choose to do it through ADB, just use
      Code:
      adb push <path/to>/recovery-cwm-pr1.img /sdcard/
      Make SURE that you copy the .img file, not the .tar.gz file!
    4. After you have the recovery copied to your SDcard, it's time to install it on your phone.
      ADB shell into your phone.
    5. Once you're adb shell'd into your phone, make sure you have superuser access by typing
      Code:
      su
      and your prompt should change from a "$" to a "#"
    6. Now, let's backup your original recovery image, just in case. Issue
      Code:
      cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p14 > /sdcard/recovery-original.img
      to back up your original recovery image for a rainy day. Keep that safe!
    7. Once we've got that backed up, let's copy over the new recovery image.
      Code:
      cat /dev/zero > /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
      cat /sdcard/recovery-cwm-pr1.img > /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
      You'll get an error on the first command, something like "no space left on device". That's okay, we're just clearing out the orignal recovery image.
    8. Now, we MUST check to make sure that our push of recovery worked. Let's run md5sum on it.
      Code:
      busybox md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
      Should return back the same hash as above in the download section. If it does not, STOP! Post here explaining, and get a developer's attention ASAP.
    9. Lastly, let's make a backup of your MISC partition. This is not required, but is HIGHLY recommended.
      Code:
      cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p8 > /sdcard/p8-backup.img
      This helps us incase somehow your phone gets gunged or weird things happen.

Congrats! You now have ClockworkMod Recovery installed!

Accessing Recovery
    To access recovery, power off your device and hold VOLUME DOWN and POWER until you see the LG logo.
    You will be asked to confirm a 'wipe' of your device. Don't worry! Our custom recovery ignores this.
    Your datas will be perfectly safe.

Pictures!
    Here's a few screenshots from Majorpay's device:
    http://i.imgur.com/DYfNK.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/Q7qE4.jpg

Video!
    How to access ClockworkMod Recovery Youtube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLb5VJTEDL8

Donation Information
    I love to develop. I don't do this for money, I do it just for the "thanks".
    However, I don't actually own a Revolution-- I'm not even on Verizon!
    If I can get enough donations together, I will have my friend purchase the device on contract for $250 at a Verizon retail location.
    With that device, I plan on doing quite a lot- creating stock 2.2 roms, attempting to port CyanogenMod7 and a bunch of other awesome things.

Please don't feel obligated to donate, but if you feel like it, you can click the button below to donate any amount you wish to me.
    Thank you in advance!

Contact Me!
    Got an issue with this release? Post here!
    Want to contact me privately? PM me on XDA or Rootzwiki
    Twitter your thing? Follow me, @tylerfixer on Twitter

Join the official LG Revolution dev IRC channel at freenode on #lgrevolution
    I'm IOMonster on IRC!

Technical information
    Breakdown of the LG software posted by me here: http://www.wiki.rootzwiki.com/wiki/index.php/LG_Revolution_Software_Breakdown

Source will be released as soon as I figure out how to merge all my changes to recovery/minui/graphics.c into my device directory
    I'm sleeping now, so most likely tomorrow afternoon :)

In all honesty, I need to do a few more "sanity checks" to make sure that this is 100% safe to release. Right now it's not.

The sanity checks won't take very long, I just have to sit down and think for a while--but right now my brain's out of "go-juice", so I'm going to head back to bed :)
    what happens if we don't get any rom developers working on this. I know you guys are working hard at this, and it would be a shame if was done for nothing. I've never been around for the beginning of development so I'm new to watching the initial progress.

I'm noticing that everyone wants me to get other developers in on this, but what they don't understand is that most developers ALSO don't own this phone, and don't feel like having to completely understand the foundations of the phone as I had to do.

Once a de-bloated 2.2 ROM is posted, I can assure you that other developers will become interested. And, as soon as I get an AOSP 2.2 or even CM7 posted, ROM developers will treat this like the new hotness, considering that everything is open on it.

It's just gonna be a few weeks until you see posts like "[ROM] BrainZMOD REVO4G ROM" and whatnot... just you wait and see :)
    It's released! Wooooo oo oooooooo!!!

EDIT: I will be at the beach tomorrow around 3PM Pacific Time until 8 or 9PM, so if I don't respond, it's because I'm enjoying some well-deserved sunshine :)