• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RELEASE] Chromecast with Google TV Bootloader Unlock

Search This thread

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Introduction:

This is an exploit chain intended to allow one to run a custom OS/unsigned code on the Chromecast with Google TV (CCwGTV).

This uses a bootROM bug in the SoC by security researcher Frederic Basse (frederic).

Frederic also did a great amount of work to temporarily boot a custom OS from USB here.

Security researchers Jan Altensen (Stricted) and Nolen Johnson (npjohnson) took the vulnerability and provided tools and customized a u-boot image to take advantage of the provided secure-execution environment to fully bootloader unlock the device.

Disclaimer:

You are solely responsible for any potential damage(s) caused to your device by this exploit.

FAQ:

- Does unlocking the bootloader void my warranty on this device?
Probably, assume so. Or just flash stock and lock your bootloader before RMA. The exploit itself leaves no traces.

- Does unlocking the bootloader break DRM in any way?
Nope, just like unlocking a Pixel device officially.

- Can I OTA afterwards?
NO - It will re-lock your bootloader, and if you've made any modifications, brick you pretty hard. If you manage to do this, re-running the exploit won't be possible either, as a BootROM password is set on any update newer than

- Can I use stock?
Yes, but only if you flashed the newer patched factory image offered up in the script.

- Can I go back to stock after installing custom OS's?
Yeah, totally, here's a "Factory Image" I made in the style of Pixel Factory Images. The patch level of this build is 2020-06-05. The tool offers to put you on a newer firmware, it's highly recommended to do so.

- Can I re-lock the bootloader?
If you flashed the factory image above, sure, but you run the risk of not being able to unlock again.

- I've run the exploit 10 times and it isn't working yet!
Swap USB ports/cables, and keep trying, for some people it takes one attempt, for some it takes a lot of attempts.

Requirements:
  • Chromecast With Google TV (sabrina) without USB password mitigation¹
  • Either a USB A to C, or a C to C cable
  • A PC running some flavor of 64-bit GNU Linux
  • `libusb-dev` installed
  • `fastboot` & `mke2fs` installed from the SDK Platform tools
¹: The USB password mitigation has been enabled on units manufactured in December 2020 and after. For units manufactured before, the mitigation was enabled by software update in February 2021. To discern this, look at the MFP date on the bar-code sticker on the bottom of your device's box. If you've powered it on and OTA'd, your firmware version needs to be below the February 2021 patch level. It's not possible to disable/change the password since it's burnt into the chip (efuses).

Instructions:

Follow the detailed and up-to-date instructions over at our Github repo, and maybe give the writeup a read/share on social media!

Post-unlock:
  • The script asks if you want to flash LineageOS Recovery, or a Magisk patched boot image, so enjoy those!
  • At the moment, there are no ROMs for the device, but Android builds in the form of LineageOS are coming soon™. Builds of that will be posted in this forum once ready, and I'll link them here.

Credits:
  • Nolen Johnson (npjohnson): The writeup, helping debug/develop/theorize the unlock method
  • Jan Altensen (Stricted): The initial concept, u-boot side unlock implementation, debugging/developing the unlock method, and being a wealth of information when it comes to Amlogic devices
  • Frederic Basse (frederic): The initial exploit and the AES key tip
Special Thanks:
  • Ryan Grachek (oscardagrach): Being an awesome mentor, teaching me a fair chunk of what I know about hardware security, and being a massive wealth of knowledge about most random things.
  • Chris Dibona: Being an awesome advocate of OSS software and helping ensure that we got all the source-code pertinent to the device.
  • Pierre-Hugues Husson (phh): For pointing me down the Amlogic road to begin with by letting me know Google had decided to make the ADT-3 bootloader unlockable.
  • XDA users @p0werpl & @JJ2017, who both helped experiment and find a combination of images that allowed us to skip the forced OTA in SUW.

Last edited:

elliwigy

Forum Moderator / Recognized Dev / Dev Relations
Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
rip, there is no way around it unfortunately (for now atleast)
Yea, figured as much. I was looking for a way to unlock the bootloader but didnt spend much time on it as i use my nstv pro 2019 model mainly for all my streaming needs lol.

i just left best buy by my house and all the cc they had were mfg 5/2021 lol.. i mustve looked all over.. looked behind stuff tried to find a dusty one but nope lol

probably got a better chance at an old one from walmart :)

im curious what causes it to not boot with patched boot.img.. on the nstv it was odd for a while since patching boot.img would cause bootloop.. had noticed in the logs it was failing to boot because the verifiedbootstate was orange so made a script for magisk to resetprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate green and it would boot right up 😅 wonder if its something similar.. either way, can only toss up ideas until i get my hands on a unlockable model lol

Reactions: Logix

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Yea, figured as much. I was looking for a way to unlock the bootloader but didnt spend much time on it as i use my nstv pro 2019 model mainly for all my streaming needs lol.

i just left best buy by my house and all the cc they had were mfg 5/2021 lol.. i mustve looked all over.. looked behind stuff tried to find a dusty one but nope lol

probably got a better chance at an old one from walmart :)

im curious what causes it to not boot with patched boot.img.. on the nstv it was odd for a while since patching boot.img would cause bootloop.. had noticed in the logs it was failing to boot because the verifiedbootstate was orange so made a script for magisk to resetprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate green and it would boot right up 😅 wonder if its something similar.. either way, can only toss up ideas until i get my hands on a unlockable model lol
Nah, it isn't.

Think it's just Amlogic boot image format not linking the repack method.

I'll look into it at some point.

Reactions: elliwigy

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Tell me more about this "usb password mitigation", since it appears that this exploit is not going to be all that useful until this issue is addressed.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Tell me more about this "usb password mitigation", since it appears that this exploit is not going to be all that useful until this issue is addressed.
It's not an "issue" we can overcome.

The BootROM mode we interact with the send the data for this exploit had a password slapped in the interface (to even be able to interact with it). It's a complex password based on a hash of something and a salt.

It's not something we could feasibly brute force, it's not something we can undo, it's not something we can work around.

The exploit was effectively patched in models manufactured after December 2020, and older units updated to February 2021.

bydo

Jan 3, 2012
If the February 2021 update added the password, wouldn't it be theoretically possible to reverse engineer that update to determine how the password is generated? Or do they encrypt these updates in a way that makes them impossible to disassemble or step through during execution before it burns the eFuses?

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
If the February 2021 update added the password, wouldn't it be theoretically possible to reverse engineer that update to determine how the password is generated? Or do they encrypt these updates in a way that makes them impossible to disassemble or step through during execution before it burns the eFuses?
We can totally (and have) dumped newer updates. You can look at the bootloader.img all you want, but it's AES encrypted, and the only way to get it decrypted is to dump the AES key from memory using the exploit those updates mitigate, so, no, not easy to analyze them.

But lets say we could, there's no way to extract the password that's even semi-feasible.

Brute force is more feasible, and that would take years.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Is there anything else we know about this password? Is it the same password for all units (i.e. pre-generated) or is it unique (in which case it would have to be generated on-device)?

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
I assume similar to Samsung bootloader revs Google has some form of rollback prevention so not possible to downgrade to an older firmware? do you know if theres anywhere that the ota.zip can be downloaded?
Yeah, dumped on dumps.tadiphone.dev. Rollback is enabled. There's no going back. U-boot enforces it on OS, and BL2 enforces it on BL33 (u-boot).
Is there anything else we know about this password? Is it the same password for all units (i.e. pre-generated) or is it unique (in which case it would have to be generated on-device)?
It is (as far as we currently understand) a global password.

elliwigy

Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
Yeah, dumped on dumps.tadiphone.dev. Rollback is enabled. There's no going back. U-boot enforces it on OS, and BL2 enforces it on BL33 (u-boot).

It is (as far as we currently understand) a global password.
Is that site a private gitlab? i went there but my normal gitlab acct didnt work so i regustered with same email and it said it registered but my acct is blocked waiting for admin approval?

elliwigy

Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
pretty sure its not generated on the device.. its likely a key that was already there just wasnt being used until recent update or it was implenented in the update.. this is of course assuming its a global key i.e. same password for all the devices.. sort of similar to how samsung does their firmware maybe, key burned into the device at the factory well hidden behind layers of security to never be seen again even when its used to verify stuff lol

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Is that site a private gitlab? i went there but my normal gitlab acct didnt work so i regustered with same email and it said it registered but my acct is blocked waiting for admin approval?
dumps.tadiphone.dev/dumps
pretty sure its not generated on the device.. its likely a key that was already there just wasnt being used until recent update or it was implenented in the update.. this is of course assuming its a global key i.e. same password for all the devices.. sort of similar to how samsung does their firmware maybe, key burned into the device at the factory well hidden behind layers of security to never be seen again even when its used to verify stuff lol
It is burned into the device, yeah, no disabling it or intercepting it.

elliwigy

Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
dumps.tadiphone.dev/dumps

It is burned into the device, yeah, no disabling it or intercepting it.
right after i posted i went to explore and saw the dumps. i noticed there was some userdebug builds early on.. pretty cool.. are these all official firmwares?

and yes makes sense.. its easier to fibd a zero day exploit these days then to waste time trying to get the hardware infused private keys :-/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks OP - script worked a treat on an (unused) unit, MFG: 07/2020.
    Any advice on blocking / disabling the OTA updates? Can't see any instructions searching around (and not much use it until that hurdle cleared!)
    I've updated the g12 thread to support sabrina - the beta LineageOS builds for it are live!

If you want to come back from them, just re-run unlock.sh and select to flash the factory image.
    gotcha.. so not what I was looking for lol.. seems they somehow dumped them from the device maybe then uploaded to gitlab.. i was looking for more official ota zips that can be flashed in stock recovery.. cant use fastboot while device is locked.
    nah they're full userdebug firmware zips.

Not sure where they came from, but I saw them dumped.
    I agree lol.. so based on your statement then it is still not what I was looking for if they are in fact signed with different keys.. if they are not able to be flashed in stock recovery due to being signed differently then that is not what I was looking for.. I dont see how they could be official ota's if they are signed differently since they wouldnt work and couldnt be installed ota due to signature check failure.. i understand you cannot downgrade to older firmware but what I was looking for was official ota zips that can be installed using stock recovery which if the ota zips are signed with different keys then they cannot be flashed using stock recovery at all.. as far as i can see, google doesnt provide any ota updates/zips at all for chromecast with google tv.. i went on support chat (of course they usually arent very reliable with techy/dev support) but after an hour and them reaching out to some technicians they also stated that google doesnt provide them at this time.. I used the argument that my device messed up during an ota update and now isnt booting so wanted the update.zip to flash in stock recovery at which time they said they dont provide them at this time so would have to send the device in for repair/replacement lol..

its no biggie, i just wanted to tinker with it but the site u posted gives me some firmware to look at.. just would be nice if i mess something up id have a way to recover given i could still access stock recovery.

either way, every store ive been to including walmart, best buy, staples etc. all have devices manufactured in 07/2021 so still no luck lol.. i am weary ordering online since nothing is what it seems a lot of the time.

Have you messed with the tivo 4k streamer at all?
    Ebay is your best bet. Took 4 days to get a new one here.

No I haven't.
    I build Lineageos for sabrina. I booted into the recovery.img and was able to connect to ADB but was unable to remove SetupWraith because the pm command was not working. I then flashed recovery and sideloaded the lineageos zip which I knew was risky. Now the device does not start and LED keeps blinking. I am also unable to enter fasbootd with the exploit. Any advice?
    I have no clue why you'd do that.

There are very good reasons we haven't released builds.

Of course PM isn't going to work in recovery, its an Android command. You'd have to mount the partition and remove it, but you can't because the partitions are dynamic, and build with ext4_dup_blocks, forcing it to be read only.

As long as lineage recovery booted before you started, keep running the exploit, if you're lucky it will boot. Unless you flashed a bad DTB, in which case you may be out of luck.
    Introduction:

This is an exploit chain intended to allow one to run a custom OS/unsigned code on the Chromecast with Google TV (CCwGTV).

This uses a bootROM bug in the SoC by security researcher Frederic Basse (frederic).

Frederic also did a great amount of work to temporarily boot a custom OS from USB here.

Security researchers Jan Altensen (Stricted) and Nolen Johnson (npjohnson) took the vulnerability and provided tools and customized a u-boot image to take advantage of the provided secure-execution environment to fully bootloader unlock the device.

Disclaimer:

You are solely responsible for any potential damage(s) caused to your device by this exploit.

FAQ:

- Does unlocking the bootloader void my warranty on this device?
    Probably, assume so. Or just flash stock and lock your bootloader before RMA. The exploit itself leaves no traces.

- Does unlocking the bootloader break DRM in any way?
    Nope, just like unlocking a Pixel device officially.

- Can I OTA afterwards?
    NO - It will re-lock your bootloader, and if you've made any modifications, brick you pretty hard. If you manage to do this, re-running the exploit won't be possible either, as a BootROM password is set on any update newer than

- Can I use stock?
    Yes, but only if you flashed the newer patched factory image offered up in the script.

- Can I go back to stock after installing custom OS's?
    Yeah, totally, here's a "Factory Image" I made in the style of Pixel Factory Images. The patch level of this build is 2020-06-05. The tool offers to put you on a newer firmware, it's highly recommended to do so.

- Can I re-lock the bootloader?
    If you flashed the factory image above, sure, but you run the risk of not being able to unlock again.

- I've run the exploit 10 times and it isn't working yet!
    Swap USB ports/cables, and keep trying, for some people it takes one attempt, for some it takes a lot of attempts.

Requirements:
    • Chromecast With Google TV (sabrina) without USB password mitigation¹
    • Either a USB A to C, or a C to C cable
    • A PC running some flavor of 64-bit GNU Linux
    • `libusb-dev` installed
    • `fastboot` & `mke2fs` installed from the SDK Platform tools
    ¹: The USB password mitigation has been enabled on units manufactured in December 2020 and after. For units manufactured before, the mitigation was enabled by software update in February 2021. To discern this, look at the MFP date on the bar-code sticker on the bottom of your device's box. If you've powered it on and OTA'd, your firmware version needs to be below the February 2021 patch level. It's not possible to disable/change the password since it's burnt into the chip (efuses).

Instructions:

Follow the detailed and up-to-date instructions over at our Github repo, and maybe give the writeup a read/share on social media!

Post-unlock:
    • The script asks if you want to flash LineageOS Recovery, or a Magisk patched boot image, so enjoy those!
    • At the moment, there are no ROMs for the device, but Android builds in the form of LineageOS are coming soon™. Builds of that will be posted in this forum once ready, and I'll link them here.

Credits:
    • Nolen Johnson (npjohnson): The writeup, helping debug/develop/theorize the unlock method
    • Jan Altensen (Stricted): The initial concept, u-boot side unlock implementation, debugging/developing the unlock method, and being a wealth of information when it comes to Amlogic devices
    • Frederic Basse (frederic): The initial exploit and the AES key tip
    Special Thanks:
    • Ryan Grachek (oscardagrach): Being an awesome mentor, teaching me a fair chunk of what I know about hardware security, and being a massive wealth of knowledge about most random things.
    • Chris Dibona: Being an awesome advocate of OSS software and helping ensure that we got all the source-code pertinent to the device.
    • Pierre-Hugues Husson (phh): For pointing me down the Amlogic road to begin with by letting me know Google had decided to make the ADT-3 bootloader unlockable.
    • XDA users @p0werpl & @JJ2017, who both helped experiment and find a combination of images that allowed us to skip the forced OTA in SUW.
    wow im glad i left mine unplugged
    I've updated the g12 thread to support sabrina - the beta LineageOS builds for it are live!

If you want to come back from them, just re-run unlock.sh and select to flash the factory image.
    Thanks OP - script worked a treat on an (unused) unit, MFG: 07/2020.
    Any advice on blocking / disabling the OTA updates? Can't see any instructions searching around (and not much use it until that hurdle cleared!)
    sweet! I know what im doing tonight lol.. of course I need to check mine once I get home to see if it can be unlocked but pretty sure it can.