• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Release] Tenfar's CWM recovery for Motorola Atrix 4G (MB860) 2011-0408-1720 Updated!

Search This thread

tenfar

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 16, 2007
Beijing
www.tenfar.com
hi, all

I got my hands on Motorola Atrix 4G 4 days earlier from one of my friend.I like it very much ! awesome phone ! better than my dead defy! This is my first release CWM recovery for Atrix 4G.

i should work as it should be but the ums and usb adb debug functions is not working .

it's just like the defy recovery, you can install this as a normal application.but you need to get your device rooted.and it's only for Motorola Atrix 4G aka MB860.

Comments and donations are wellcome. you can donate so that i can get myself a Atrix 4G, Thanks in advance.

UPDATED 2011-0408-1720 GMT +8
update to support nandroid to internal sdcard.and restore form internal sdcard.
add a "enable adb server" in advance menu, but still not working :(

download latest version:

View attachment MOTOA4_Bootstrap_0408_1720-signed.apk

UPDATED 2011-0408-1105 GMT +8
small change for recovery enter method, you can now enter recovery everytime you plug your ac charger when you phone is off. and you can change modes between recovery mode or poweroff charge mode inside the app.
it seems every thing is working right now, and i am going to add other partition support such as flash "bpsw" partion or "dev" partition , when this feture is add we can flash all partitions and we dont need to flash sbf files to downgrade or upgrade! awesome?

download old version:
View attachment MOTOA4_Bootstrap_0408_1103-signed.apk

UPDATED 2011-0406-1434 GMT +8

add support for update.zip in internal sdcard from main menu
add support for mount osh partition,so we can make update package for unbutu mod! great for devs!
fixed power off charging mode.

Download the old version: FIXED! update at 17L43pm GMT+8

View attachment MOTOA4_Bootstrap_0406_1730-signed.apk

UPDATED 2011-0404-1555 GMT +8

add support for choose zip from internal sdcard
add support for power off charging as some one requested.

Downlaod old version :
View attachment MOTOA4_Bootstrap_0404_1755-signed.apk

Please uninstall the old version ,then reinstall this new version.then reclick the "install recovery" button in the System Recovery Application. the every time you need to enter the recovery , you need to connect the ac charge then click the "Recovery Boot" button to boot into recovery.

Thanks donations from:
Emmanuel $10 sprocket84 $5 ofer $5 frankiedizzle87 $5 Squeak22 $10 Matthew $5 B.coffey $10 kennethpenn $20 Robert.K $10 Austin Roberts $10
germanh $10 faisal husain $5 CaelanT $10 tomerbn $10 Kavin M $10 Simpson S $5
Thank you all for your donations!

I will keep every donations in this post updated with your paypal Name. if you feel like don't want other forum viewers know how much you donate and even you don't want them know that you donated me, you can let me know via PM or via paypal message. I will not add your name to this thread !Thank you! An Official Atrix 4G in China is about 5000 RMB(about 700USD) without dock. it's about 7000 RMB with a dock (~1000 USD), so expensive that i can't afford. so your donations will help me a lot! Thank you!

if you feels that my work helps you ,please don't hesitate to click the thank button at the end of this post. thank you!

PS: i am trying to make other way to enter the CMW recovery mode.and i am going to make the osh partiton transparent to user. so we can mod the osh partition ,any devs interested in this?

Last edited:

Djazin

Sep 19, 2010
Fist to the OP thank you for this....just thought Id add some more info from the source site

Second edited due to development success on this Awesome work though do look into adb sbf withing the search function of the development thread and learn about them before using this so you have a way to go back

Removed the apk upload from this post the OP has been working and updating his progress XD and the download speeds much better than it was before XD
Third added the apk attachment that is said to install a working recovery, seems to be the only file downloadable from the source site... There is not alot of info there.

Fourth Added pics taken from the source posting... its all Chinese literally

184354b13hbcmhy6223ihh.png

1843595hzcttq8xhzxg6t0.png

184403c21cwc4wz4kcshcw.png

1844079yknf3nnpcumff3p.png

The below is the translated text via Google of the source posting

Posts by R editor masters at 2011-4-2 18:45

4 days ago I finally got this I heard a long time Atrix 4G, spent three days free time get the Recovery. And then spent one day free time a person considered to be more integration of the perfect ROM, hope you like it. The machine got my brother to feel that defy ah ~! Ha. Good. Machine performance very good, no loss is dual-core!
Haha, A4 custom Recovery Coming! No way in the use of other forums online updates, online updates will be a lot of messy problems occur. May not fully updated!

Installation:
Root for your cell phone first, root method see: http://bbs.goapk.com/thread-1667169-1-1.html

Apk installed then install the normal recovery;
Prompted the request su permission.
Then prompted to install success
Then ok. For details, please refer to the software tips.
Usage:
Switched off the phone into the AC charger, and then the phone will enter Recovery mode!
Keys Description:
Volume up and down switch, the power button to confirm

That said if this recovery even crashes you should be able to get to rsd mode and revert back to which ever base sbf you were using XD

Last edited:

tenfar

Jul 16, 2007
Beijing
www.tenfar.com
Fist to the OP thank you for this lead..just thought Id add some more info from the source site

Second This IS NOT Verified there is no release of a "flash able ROM" or kernel for that matter this posting is just for dev purposes and again its content and use is unverified

Third added the apk attachment that is said to install a working recovery, seems to be the only file downloadable from the source site... There is not alot of info there.

4 days ago I finally got this I heard a long time Atrix 4G, spent three days free time get the Recovery. And then spent one day free time a person considered to be more integration of the perfect ROM, hope you like it. The machine got my brother to feel that defy ah ~! Ha. Good. Machine performance very good, no loss is dual-core!
Haha, A4 custom Recovery Coming! No way in the use of other forums online updates, online updates will be a lot of messy problems occur. May not fully updated!

Installation:
Root for your cell phone first, root method see: http://bbs.goapk.com/thread-1667169-1-1.html

Usage:
Switched off the phone into the AC charger, and then the phone will enter Recovery mode!
Keys Description:

Screenshot:

Thanks for you posting and attached the apk file. the original source is post by me for china users. this recovery include two languages. English and Chinese,because i am a Chinese. you can find a flashable rom in here.

http://bbs.goapk.com/thread-1667169-1-1.html

it's also for chinese users. the recovery supports amend and edify scripts.because it's based on clockworkmod 2.5.1.8! only the usb is not working.i didnt find out how to make the usb function work .
other function including backup is work. there is one think that the system partition is mounted when you enter the recovery. you can not umount it.

i will try my best to fix those bugs. if any one would like to help me.please let me know. thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Djazin

Djazin

Sep 19, 2010
Thanks for you posting and attached the apk file. the original source is post by me for china users. this recovery include two languages. English and Chinese,because i am a Chinese. you can find a flashable rom in here.

http://bbs.goapk.com/thread-1667169-1-1.html

it's also for chinese users. the recovery supports amend and edify scripts.because it's based on clockworkmod 2.5.1.8! only the usb is not working.i didnt find out how to make the usb function work .
other function including backup is work. there is one think that the system partition is mounted when you enter the recovery. you can not umount it.

i will try my best to fix those bugs. if any one would like to help me.please let me know. thanks in advance

Sweet okay lets get that Source for the ROM posted have you been able to test it yet? Im already going to download and mirror should have it ready in a few minutes still please confirm the RSD functionality of this recovery that is critical before we get everything posted here last we need is bricked or unrevertable Atrixs

Update RSD works XD jic

Last edited:
Reactions: tenfar

crnkoj

Feb 16, 2011
i would like to test it, but im not sure if rsd will work afterwards to reflash, since the op says usb is not working so, hmmm

tenfar

Jul 16, 2007
Beijing
www.tenfar.com
Sweet okay lets get that Source for the ROM posted have you been able to test it yet? Im already going to download and mirror should have it ready in a few minutes still please confirm the RSD functionality of this recovery that is critical before we get everything posted here last we need is bricked or unrevertable Atrixs

Update RSD works XD jic

it's a bootstrap recovery, it will not infact your phones rsd functionality. and you can use voldown + power button for more functions ,but i did figure out what those function are.
i tested it many times i cant even count it. it takes me so many flash to get a working recovery....! the last time i trying to port the clock work mod to defy , my defy is bricked~~ :)

Last edited:

Immix

Apr 1, 2005
Mumbai, IN
Just a confirmation. The installation was very easy. I had to plug in ac adapter to boot into CWM recovery. I made a successful backup through recovery. If anyone is not familiar with CWM recovery, you use vol up/down buttons to go through menus and power button to select. The backup is created in external sdcard. This looks good so far.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi, all

I got my hands on Motorola Atrix 4G 4 days earlier from one of my friend.I like it very much ! awesome phone ! better than my dead defy! This is my first release CWM recovery for Atrix 4G.

i should work as it should be but the ums and usb adb debug functions is not working .

it's just like the defy recovery, you can install this as a normal application.but you need to get your device rooted.and it's only for Motorola Atrix 4G aka MB860.

Comments and donations are wellcome. you can donate so that i can get myself a Atrix 4G, Thanks in advance.

UPDATED 2011-0408-1720 GMT +8
    update to support nandroid to internal sdcard.and restore form internal sdcard.
    add a "enable adb server" in advance menu, but still not working :(

download latest version:

View attachment MOTOA4_Bootstrap_0408_1720-signed.apk

UPDATED 2011-0408-1105 GMT +8
    small change for recovery enter method, you can now enter recovery everytime you plug your ac charger when you phone is off. and you can change modes between recovery mode or poweroff charge mode inside the app.
    it seems every thing is working right now, and i am going to add other partition support such as flash "bpsw" partion or "dev" partition , when this feture is add we can flash all partitions and we dont need to flash sbf files to downgrade or upgrade! awesome?

download old version:
    View attachment MOTOA4_Bootstrap_0408_1103-signed.apk

UPDATED 2011-0406-1434 GMT +8

add support for update.zip in internal sdcard from main menu
    add support for mount osh partition,so we can make update package for unbutu mod! great for devs!
    fixed power off charging mode.

Download the old version: FIXED! update at 17L43pm GMT+8

View attachment MOTOA4_Bootstrap_0406_1730-signed.apk

UPDATED 2011-0404-1555 GMT +8

add support for choose zip from internal sdcard
    add support for power off charging as some one requested.

Downlaod old version :
    View attachment MOTOA4_Bootstrap_0404_1755-signed.apk

Please uninstall the old version ,then reinstall this new version.then reclick the "install recovery" button in the System Recovery Application. the every time you need to enter the recovery , you need to connect the ac charge then click the "Recovery Boot" button to boot into recovery.

Thanks donations from:
    Emmanuel $10 sprocket84 $5 ofer $5 frankiedizzle87 $5 Squeak22 $10 Matthew $5 B.coffey $10 kennethpenn $20 Robert.K $10 Austin Roberts $10
    germanh $10 faisal husain $5 CaelanT $10 tomerbn $10 Kavin M $10 Simpson S $5
    Thank you all for your donations!

I will keep every donations in this post updated with your paypal Name. if you feel like don't want other forum viewers know how much you donate and even you don't want them know that you donated me, you can let me know via PM or via paypal message. I will not add your name to this thread !Thank you! An Official Atrix 4G in China is about 5000 RMB(about 700USD) without dock. it's about 7000 RMB with a dock (~1000 USD), so expensive that i can't afford. so your donations will help me a lot! Thank you!

if you feels that my work helps you ,please don't hesitate to click the thank button at the end of this post. thank you!

PS: i am trying to make other way to enter the CMW recovery mode.and i am going to make the osh partiton transparent to user. so we can mod the osh partition ,any devs interested in this?
    Not going to get into a flame war, but I'm glad DG is gone. People like the other devs here that don't buy new phones, dont take others' work and compile it as their own, and dont use it to get donations are always welcome in my opinion.

DG used all of your donation money to easily prepare to purchase a SGS2 and took captivate users money for his Atrix, which he took back and got an Inspire so getting donations would be easier.

Real devs like fenny, sogarth, kennethpenn, and others deserve your appreciation. They are doing the real work!

(BTW, DG didn't "find root". He just took and used CLShortFuse's app and did it first. And you all paid DG for it.)

Tenfar. AMAZING work. We are getting a step closer to what we all want...an open phone. Now we have CWM and SBF, its time for me to start dev'ing for the Atrix.

Thanks, h8

I hear you. Good work regardless.

I'm a Captivate convert, so I've seen DG's work. Sucks he jumped ship. Maybe we can bribe mikeymike01. Serendipity was the slickest ROM I've ever seen

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App
    Fist to the OP thank you for this....just thought Id add some more info from the source site

Second edited due to development success on this Awesome work though do look into adb sbf withing the search function of the development thread and learn about them before using this so you have a way to go back

Removed the apk upload from this post the OP has been working and updating his progress XD and the download speeds much better than it was before XD

184354b13hbcmhy6223ihh.png

1843595hzcttq8xhzxg6t0.png

184403c21cwc4wz4kcshcw.png

1844079yknf3nnpcumff3p.png

Installation:

Usage:
    Keys Description:

That said if this recovery even crashes you should be able to get to rsd mode and revert back to which ever base sbf you were using XD
    Sorry, way beyond my pay grade... If all else fails I have one possible solution, but you won't like it. If it hasn't been 30 days since you purchased the Atrix, call AT&T and get insurance on it. Next, go drop it in the toilet. $125 beats a full $400 for new one. Or I guess, you could totally hard brick it, and take it back to AT&T. Hell, take it back to them anyway and say, "WTF is going on here, it just started screwing up!"

And that's why we are seeing locked bootloaders cause people fraudulently claim stuffs broken. Don't give lame advice like that be responsible. We all know we are voiding our warranty man up about it.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App
    Did some tests from a fully rooted 1.5.7 install.
    • Wipe/Reset - Works
    • Format Cache - Works
    • Format Dalvik - Works
    • Backup - Works (the backup process showed it was backing up my MP3's, but the final backup size showed that they weren't included. Strange)
    • Restore - Haven't tried
    Wiping nukes superuser and thereby root as installed from aRoot. Looks like the script sets superuser as a user app. Needs to be a system app to avoid being deleted. This probably happens when you do a factory reset from within Android as well.

Good news is that re-running the aRoot script gets you back to a rooted state. Shouldn't have to do the "apply 1.2.7, root, retainroot, patch to 1.5.7, retainroot" process to get back to rooted goodness.

I have some stuff to do, so update script testing will be delayed for a while.