Relock the Bootloader

Search This thread

weckart

Jul 13, 2010
In the EU unlocking your bootloader WILL void your warranty with Motorola but not necessarily affect your statutory rights, which are limited to a guarantee - not a warranty. Guarantees and warranties are different from each other. The post above talking about statutory warranties is mistaken as there is no such thing. The EU directive only talks about guarantees; the word 'warranty' is never mentioned even once in that directive.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

Ganapatya

Apr 26, 2013
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
What's the difference between a guarantee and a warranty?

Learn about the differences and what you should look out for when purchasing items

Guarantee

A guarantee is usually free and is a promise about an item by the manufacturer or companyIt's a promise to sort out any problems with a product or service within a specific, fixed period of timeWhether you paid for a guarantee or not, it is legally bindingThe guarantee must explain how you would make a claim in a way that is easy to understandIt adds to your rights under consumer lawIt will take effect whether or not you have a warranty

Warranty

A warranty acts like an insurance policy for which you must pay a premium - Sometimes a warranty is called an 'extended guarantee'May last longer than a guarantee and cover a wider range of problemsA warranty is a legal contractThe terms of the contract should be clear and fairDoes not reduce your rights under consumer lawA warranty can be in place with a guarantee

The EU position

There has been some confusion of the impact of European law with regards to warranties. A common misunderstanding is that a business must give a two year warranty. This is not the case. The confusion has arisen over the translation and the use of the word 'warranty'.

The EU law actually entitles people to have a 'right of action' against a business for two years. English law protects consumers more than this and allows a person to bring a claim within six years, some four years longer than required by EU law.

English law

There are many acts and regulations, most notably, the Sale of Goods Act, which protect someone when buying something or using a service. These acts and regulations can always be relied upon whether or not you have a warranty or guarantee. They also apply to everyone, from a huge dealership to a guy selling his bike on eBay.

As you would expect, a buyer has no real grounds for complaint if they were told about the fault before they bought the item or caused the damage themselves. What may surprise some people however is that generally that if you are buying something you have limited grounds for complaint if you examined the item, or had the opportunity to examine the item, when you bought it and should have spotted the defect. Once you have accepted an item it is very difficult to try and reject it or allege a fault later.

In saying this, the item should be of satisfactory quality. This is based on what a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory taking into account description, price and other relevant factors. It must also match any description given in a brochure, or given to you by a sales representative. In addition, it should also be fit for its purpose. This includes any purpose specifically indicated to the seller, even if it is not usually used for that purpose!

Read more:*http://www.access-legal.co.uk/free-...arantee-and-a-warranty-1314.htm#ixzz2sq5rsSxa

Read more:*http://www.access-legal.co.uk/free-...arantee-and-a-warranty-1314.htm#ixzz2sq4rgwF1

Last edited:

lolwatpear

Nov 24, 2011
Just remember that unless you download the Motorola version of FASTBOOT, you won't be able to flash the Sparsechunk files...

You will get:
C:\sdk-tools>fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
erasing 'system'...
(bootloader) Permission denied
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.016s

Once I downloaded the Motorola version of fastboot from here: http://theunlockr.com/2013/12/06/unroot-motorola-moto-g/ (see link in this article) - - - (or just google for Motorola g fastboot)

Also, the final step here, it says:
C:\sdk-tools>fastboot oem lock
... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 17.659s

it will still lock the bootloader - you can verify by reboot the device and you will see bootloader status "Locked"

Hope this helps

I cannot get this to work even using that. I don't understand what the problem is.

edit: follow Tomsgt's video to get it working if you had trouble like me. The tool worked well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomsgt

MikeMurphy

May 14, 2009
Hi guys, nothing on here actually helped me get rid of the warning screen even after I relocked the bootloader. I did flash the logo.bin but it didn't work.

For those of you looking in to restoring your device to stock I suggest you save yourself time and headache and just download the big zip file on this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2646415 . The zip file actually will download despite it saying file not found, give it a few seconds and it'll pop up.

It contains EVERYTHING you need, the stock 4.4.2 USA retail rom for XT1032, fastboot, script files etc.

Interestingly, the .zip file from my link above contains a file moto-logo.bin that once flashed actually got rid of the warning screen. I didn't find that file in the stock ROM.

Best of luck guys.

Reactions: padhu1989

Czechnolog

Apr 29, 2012
I tried your great tutorial but it still shows this: "(bootloader) sst lock failure!"
I used this command "Restore & Relock Bootloader full wipe" from your package "Firmware restore lock and more 4.4.2".

Any advice?
Many thanks.

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
i followed this guide and now my root is gone and im back to square one. i thought the root would stay! now lets hope titanium works.

abhishekk89

Jan 18, 2013
Lafayette, IN
I'm on stock ROM (rooted with unlocked bootloader) and have the latest update 4.4.3. I had a small hardware issue and I need to get the phone serviced. I hence have to relock the bootloader (consequently flash the stock ROM). Can it be done using this tutorial ? Are there any issues flashing the older 4.4.2 ROM ?

thumper300zx

Apr 15, 2013
this is just a quick howto am at work....
the files you need and will use are in moto g section of this forum.
fastboot oem lock

...and LOCKED! Thanks. Needed this -- my mobile radio died before 1 year was up and I need to send the device back in for exchange. This looks better :) Already got the replacement phone (they upgraded me to a white MotoX 16GB because they messed up on my first attempt to RMA and then MotoG was out of stock).

drmdsadiq

Sep 20, 2012
Hyderabad
www.medicalpresos.2ya.com
for me not working
v2rx.png

check your system image name.. sparsechunk.0/.1/.2 or sparsechunk1/2/3 if so just replace it with the right name in the command and it will work. it worked for me.

also make sure both your adb /fastboot and the firmware are extracted to the same directory.

it will work!

Reactions: bigas

njofra13

Dec 19, 2010
Hello,
I've managed to relock my bootloader but I still on boot up get message 'unlocked bootloader' so is there a way to remove that warning since my device is locked or I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks

tmittelstaedt

Aug 26, 2012
Hello,
I've managed to relock my bootloader but I still on boot up get message 'unlocked bootloader' so is there a way to remove that warning since my device is locked or I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks

No, you can't change it back, now.

It is getting that because once the thing was unlocked, a flag in the phone is permanently set that cannot be changed back. If the phone is rooted you can reflash that message image file so the message goes away, but since part of the relock was to reflash the factory image (which is an unrooted image) you can't do that now.

All you can do is unlock it again with the phone's key, root it, then reflash the message file. But, once the phone is activated on a new account it will eventually do an OTA update that will replace that message image file and the message will start appearing again.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

No, you can't change it back, now.

It is getting that because once the thing was unlocked, a flag in the phone is permanently set that cannot be changed back. If the phone is rooted you can reflash that message image file so the message goes away, but since part of the relock was to reflash the factory image (which is an unrooted image) you can't do that now.

All you can do is unlock it again with the phone's key, root it, then reflash the message file. But, once the phone is activated on a new account it will eventually do an OTA update that will replace that message image file and the message will start appearing again.

Here's more info on the specific software flags used (qualcomm calls 'em fuses)

http://blog.azimuthsecurity.com/2013/04/unlocking-motorola-bootloader.html

Also, it's the logo file you would flash to make the message go away.

fastboot flash logo

I do not think it will stick during an OTA update, though.

gowrish1026

Jan 20, 2015
showing unlocked in bootloader screen

Hello.
Today I have relocked my moto g 1st gen successfully.
But showing unlocked in boot loader screen why...?
Pls help.

klaymaniaf

Nov 27, 2011
after lollipop soaktest lock bootloader

How can I lock the bootloader if I am on asian soak test build?
I,ve tried with fastboot comand fastboot oem lock flashed 4.4.4 and I get sst error.
Is there another way?

ggunzio

Oct 12, 2011
Lisboa
How can I lock the bootloader if I am on asian soak test build?
I,ve tried with fastboot comand fastboot oem lock flashed 4.4.4 and I get sst error.
Is there another way?

You need to wait for full ROM package from motorola (5.0.2 version)
For all of you that updated from kitkat to lollipop, you cannot downgrade back, this means that you cannot oficcialy go back. So you have 2 choices. Stay with unlocked bootloader, or wait ultil motorola releases full ROM .zip and then mfastboot OEM lock begin and you are locked again. Imho, there is no good to stay with locked bootloader. Unlock FTW, because of security reasons. For example, with unlocked BL, if your mobile dies, there's almost 100% sure that you could unbrick it, if you had locked bootloader is another story

Sent from my Moto G 2014 using XDA Free mobile app

lonaysta

Jan 29, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong:
Once you unlocked bootloader on your Moto G, you cannot fully go back to the "locked" status; instead, a "relocked" status will be there if you relock the bootloader and it means warranty voided. However, you can manually flash the logo to overwrite that warning screen without an unlocked bootloader to get rid of that ugliness.
Am I right?

Diddlee

Jun 23, 2010
I just tried fastboot oem lock, and got the error message, but find when I reboot the Moto G, the bootloader unlocked warning is gone. To me it seems like the error message received is about 'ohh I expected a flash, but could not find one', but it still lock the bootloader.
After receiving the error message, I tried fastboot oem lock begin followed by fastboot oem lock. Not sure if that is needed or not.

deepakgaria

Jun 3, 2014

firmware's here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2546251

relock bootloader
=============
keep in mind this will remove any and all personal files and settings
like any self respecting android user you have made backups right....!!!! GOOD

download adb and fastboot extract or place into a directory.
now download the factory firmware image of your phone extract zip/rar and place into the same directory.

download "relock bootloader.txt" rename to "relock bootloader.bat" place this in the same directory as the files and double click it ,this would save you typing in all the commands from below in by hand and does it all for you.recap....if you did download and run relock bootloader.bat you dont need to type anything form below

open a command prompt as administrator ,navigate to the directory where you placed all the files we are working with and type as follows giving time for each command to finish.

fastboot oem lock begin
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot oem lock

bro firmware link is expire help pls

blindkoala

Mar 14, 2013
I've flashed what I believe to be the stock ROM and like many on this thread have been unable to get the `fastboot oem lock` command to respond with `SUCCESS`.

However, the stock ROM was 4.3 and when I booted it up it did receive an OTA update to 4.4.

Does this mean it is back in the update cycle? I thought the MOTO G LTE was on Lollipop. Can anyone confirm that if I've received one OTA update that it is back in the update pipeline. I'd like to sell this with assurance that it will receive any updates that are available in the future.

Thanks... :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

firmware's here
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2546251

relock bootloader
    =============
    keep in mind this will remove any and all personal files and settings
    like any self respecting android user you have made backups right....!!!! GOOD

download adb and fastboot extract or place into a directory.
    now download the factory firmware image of your phone extract zip/rar and place into the same directory.

download "relock bootloader.txt" rename to "relock bootloader.bat" place this in the same directory as the files and double click it ,this would save you typing in all the commands from below in by hand and does it all for you.recap....if you did download and run relock bootloader.bat you dont need to type anything form below

open a command prompt as administrator ,navigate to the directory where you placed all the files we are working with and type as follows giving time for each command to finish.

fastboot oem lock begin
    fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
    fastboot flash logo logo.bin
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot oem lock
    i done a relock last week and this works for me.use adb command "fastboot oem lock begin" go through the routine to flash factory firmware image and use "fastboot oem lock" command to finish after you flashed factory firmware.

So, steps are these:

1: fastboot oem lock begin
    2: flash stock firmware
    3: fastboot oem lock

And BL will be locked again. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Problem is that for "unlocked" we need always of a code by motorola atm.
    Hi,
    I want to give my unlocked Moto G to a family member - and I'd like to relock the bootloader again, for security reasons.(I don't care about the warranty)

is there a way to do that?

1. open FAQ
    2. ctrl+f : "relock"
    Given European Directive 1999/44/CE, just the fact that you modified or changed the software of your device, is not a sufficient reason to void your statutory warranty.

https://fsfe.org/campaigns/android/liberate.en.html

Does rooting your phone invalidate its warranty? (In EU)

In short: No. Just the fact that you modified or changed the software of your device, is not a sufficient reason to void your statutory warranty. As long as you have bought the device as a consumer in the European Union.

http://piana.eu/root
    wth i just doing wrong???
    the firmware is Blur_Version.14.91.11.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE

he gives me this error and on the phone says failed to validate system image

3dmb.png

I think I solved this problem.....

executing "fastboot flash system system.img" didn't work for me either (permission denied)
    But surprisingly it worked with the fastboot.exe included in the firmware-images zip-file....

so just do a "cd" to the root-directory of the folder, and then:
    > Windows\fastboot.exe flash system system.img
    (since the fastboot.exe is in the 'windows' subfolder)
    this way, you won't be using your installed ADB/fastboot-versions, but the ones that are in the zip-file

unfortunately the logo.bin was still said "bootloader unlocked". though the bootloader said "locked". so you just have to manually flash the logo.bin from here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2548530