Relocking bootloader?

Search This thread

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Any guides to relocking bootloader and restoring to stock on EU version of V30 ?
Thanks in advance.

Any reason you are doing this? The stock debloated, tweaked ROM in development section should give you all the features you need. You can also flash KZD without relocking bootloader.

LG still has a record that you unlocked your bootloader so it's not like they don't know.

Reactions: leicablue

padmanek

Dec 17, 2012
Any reason you are doing this? The stock debloated, tweaked ROM in development section should give you all the features you need. You can also flash KZD without relocking bootloader.

LG still has a record that you unlocked your bootloader so it's not like they don't know.

Probably trying to prepare it for RMA :D

Gegobite

Jun 1, 2018
what about the rom?

so when i do lock the bootloader, does the software get checked or updated or do I have to install it manually... what happens after i run all the commands in adb? Im currently on LineageOS 15.1 (LG-h930) :p

me2151

Apr 12, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Question I ran fastboot oem lock and now I'm bricked with "your device has failed a routine safety check and will not boot" Does anyone have the fix for this?

You need to be on a stock KDZ(literally 0 changes) before locking. try booting to download mode by turning phone off and holding Vol+ and plugging into a computer. Then flash a stock KDZ.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

MARKREIF

Apr 25, 2010
Orange County NY
thanks but slight problem is the device won't turn off.....

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

ok I'm in firmware update and being seen via LGUP - can you point me in the direction of the latest stock KDZ?>

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

LG UP keeps asking for an update DLL -any thoughts?

me2151

Apr 12, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
thanks but slight problem is the device won't turn off.....

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

ok I'm in firmware update and being seen via LGUP - can you point me in the direction of the latest stock KDZ?>

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

LG UP keeps asking for an update DLL -any thoughts?

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v30/development/us998-lg-v30-us998-us99820a040330-kdz-t3786337

20e is the latest KDZ for US998(i assume thats what you have considering thats what is in your Signature). Use the LGUP_common_DLL_V30_ALL_VARIANTS attachment(there is directions in that thread on how to use that DLL).

MARKREIF

Apr 25, 2010
Orange County NY
tried everything still having dll issues grrrr

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

uninstalled all LG drivers etc rebooted windows 10 reinstalled "LGUP_Install_Ver_1_14_3 .msi" and LGUP_common_DLL_V30_ALLVARIANTS and I'm still getting "error 0x81000302, Please use latest DLL LAF Protocol version is not match DLL= 174187400 Device = 177360928" when i try to flash......

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Store version 1.14 - DLL Version 1.0.28.9

me2151

Apr 12, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
tried everything still having dll issues grrrr

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

uninstalled all LG drivers etc rebooted windows 10 reinstalled "LGUP_Install_Ver_1_14_3 .msi" and LGUP_common_DLL_V30_ALLVARIANTS and I'm still getting "error 0x81000302, Please use latest DLL LAF Protocol version is not match DLL= 174187400 Device = 177360928" when i try to flash......

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Store version 1.14 - DLL Version 1.0.28.9

Never seen that error. Maybe @ChazzMatt or @runningnak3d would know that one.

runningnak3d

Recognized Developer
Nov 10, 2010
Largo
As @kanehun stated, you must use the patched LG UP, and you must use partition DL mode (select all partitions) -- upgrade or refurbish won't work.

If you don't want to wipe your phone and just want to get it to boot again, only select recovery, boot and system and make sure that you are using the KDZ for the version that is on your phone. You should be able to salvage your data if you need to.

-- Brian

Reactions: ChazzMatt

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Does relocking the bootloader basically unroot the v30?
If not, is there a way of unrooting a US998?

If you JUST relock the bootloader you are going to cause LOTS of problems, UNLESS you first restore full stock firmware. Possibly even bricking your phone.

1) You want to flash stock KDZ via LGUP, which replaces TWRP custom recovery with stock Recovery.
Use "Refurbish" or "DL Partition". Then you no longer have root.

2) You can also relock the bootloader AFTER that -- if you wish to get rid of unlocked bootloader warning.
But step #1 will "unroot" your phone.

Last edited:

Septfox

Nov 2, 2013

Completely different operations.

Unlocking the bootloader allows custom software to run because partition signature checking is skipped. This is what allows flashing and running non-LG ROMs, custom recovery, etc.
Manufacturers don't want you doing this because it enables updating the device once it hits planned obsolescence; they want you to give them another $800+ at that point, not keep updating what you have.
An example I like to point out: the Motorola Droid 4 stopped being supported at android 4.3 (Jellybean). Thanks to Safestrap - the bootloader is permanently fused shut but an exploit allowed loading an entirely different kernel and ROM via kexec after the stock kernel startup- and some particularly determined developers, it's running up to 7.1 (Nougat). The kernel is ancient at this point and spackled together with pieces from Amazon devices, and the phone is a bit slow using a modern O/S because it only had 1gb of memory, but it still works and people still use it as a daily driver because they like it. Last CDMA landscape QWERTY phone and all.

Root privileges are part of Android itself; think of it a combination of Administrator and TrustedInstaller account privileges from a Windows PC.
Google doesn't want you rooting because of the myriad ways the average user can ruin their Android installation by screwing with system files, the many security implications (easy example: let the wrong app have root, now the app has access to any data on the phone it wants and can manipulate whatever it likes), and it making it a lot easier to do things like block ads system-wide.

TL;DR bootloader unlocking is more device-side that disables certain "security" checks to allow booting non-OEM software. Rooting is software-side, lets you use the Admin account in Android for any number of useful shenanigans. They are independent of one another, but depending on the method rooting can prevent a locked-bootloader device from booting.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Any guides to relocking bootloader and restoring to stock on EU version of V30 ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Should be as easy as using the "fastboot oem lock" command
    Yes, these are the commands i used to lock the bootloader again (note you have to setup the device again)

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem lock
    fastboot reboot
    If not, is there a way of unrooting a US998?

If you JUST relock the bootloader you are going to cause LOTS of problems, UNLESS you first restore full stock firmware. Possibly even bricking your phone.

1) You want to flash stock KDZ via LGUP, which replaces TWRP custom recovery with stock Recovery.

2) You can also relock the bootloader AFTER that -- if you wish to get rid of unlocked bootloader warning.
    Unlock the bootloader again, and you should have your device back, once you unlock the bootloader, you can't relock it, it's not like a pixel or a oneplus phone.

The proper way to relock the bootloader is this:

Completely different operations.

Unlocking the bootloader allows custom software to run because partition signature checking is skipped. This is what allows flashing and running non-LG ROMs, custom recovery, etc.
    Manufacturers don't want you doing this because it enables updating the device once it hits planned obsolescence; they want you to give them another $800+ at that point, not keep updating what you have.
    An example I like to point out: the Motorola Droid 4 stopped being supported at android 4.3 (Jellybean). Thanks to Safestrap - the bootloader is permanently fused shut but an exploit allowed loading an entirely different kernel and ROM via kexec after the stock kernel startup- and some particularly determined developers, it's running up to 7.1 (Nougat). The kernel is ancient at this point and spackled together with pieces from Amazon devices, and the phone is a bit slow using a modern O/S because it only had 1gb of memory, but it still works and people still use it as a daily driver because they like it. Last CDMA landscape QWERTY phone and all.

Root privileges are part of Android itself; think of it a combination of Administrator and TrustedInstaller account privileges from a Windows PC.
    Google doesn't want you rooting because of the myriad ways the average user can ruin their Android installation by screwing with system files, the many security implications (easy example: let the wrong app have root, now the app has access to any data on the phone it wants and can manipulate whatever it likes), and it making it a lot easier to do things like block ads system-wide.

TL;DR bootloader unlocking is more device-side that disables certain "security" checks to allow booting non-OEM software. Rooting is software-side, lets you use the Admin account in Android for any number of useful shenanigans. They are independent of one another, but depending on the method rooting can prevent a locked-bootloader device from booting.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone