• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Removal of Camera Exposure compensation (+/- ev)

Search This thread
Apr 2, 2011
hmmmmm

anyone has any thoughts on why Google removed the Camera Exposure compensation (+/- ev) on Android 5.1? Let's discuss

Automatic exposure compensation is (on my 5.0.1) the achilles heel of the video camera. It just sucks as it lurches to expose +/- . It "stairsteps" instead of flowing smoothly. It is very easy to replicate on my release...

Use a static shot, sit a friend in front of a blank wall or a sky (with the sun behind you if outdoors) and slowly pan and and down. The exposure should adjust smoothly, not lurch into the next plus or minus value. All video cameras perform this as it is necessary for video.

Removing the control option is very odd, as using a third party app you can lock the exposure and prevent this artifact. This is suboptimal but a workaround in a pinch.

I hope this is a precursor to some effort made to fix this crucial (for video at least) working feature.

Much of what people associate with iPhone 6 superior video is due to this issue IN MY OPINION.. The iPhone 6 video is silky smooth,the Nexux 6 has plenty of horsepower and a good lens but the CODEC and guts were not optimized.

Last edited:

pjsnyc

Nov 18, 2008
NYC
I too can confirm that manual exposure isn't working anymore. I was using camera zoom fx. I mapped the exposure +/- to my volume buttons and when pressing it it indicates an exposure change but nothing happens.

Hopefully its just a new camera api devs need to incorporate in their apps via an update. I have no idea if this is the case, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in on this

mathieau

Mar 15, 2015
I starred it too and also give google a feedback about this issue using the feedback link in the stock app. Hope the bug will fixed soon; it's really annoying to me!

gannjunior

Oct 14, 2010
Genova
Hi guys,

i've realized that the compensation problem since 5.1 android affects also a great app like Camera FV-5 on my Nexus 6. It worked very well...I'm really disappointed...why did they do this??
any solution?

ciao!

schizophrenia

May 11, 2009
Hi guys,

i've realized that the compensation problem since 5.1 android affects also a great app like Camera FV-5 on my Nexus 6. It worked very well...I'm really disappointed...why did they do this??
any solution?

ciao!
seems they have replied that there are bugs they are fixing but unfortunately there have not been a fix. It is indeed super annoying and Android team is just disappointing with all these Lollipop bugs

Reactions: gannjunior

mathieau

Mar 15, 2015
I was an early subscriber of the bug report on Google code. This is a very annoying issue to me, I hope it will be fixed on 5.1.1. I'm impatient to receive the OTA update. Is there anyone who has sideloaded and has news about?

xdatastic

Jan 14, 2012
Sydney
I was an early subscriber of the bug report on Google code. This is a very annoying issue to me, I hope it will be fixed on 5.1.1. I'm impatient to receive the OTA update. Is there anyone who has sideloaded and has news about?

It's still broken\missing on my Nexus 6 with 5.1.1\LYZ28E. The option is there in settings, but doesn't do anything.

Reactions: mathieau

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hmmmmm

anyone has any thoughts on why Google removed the Camera Exposure compensation (+/- ev) on Android 5.1? Let's discuss

Automatic exposure compensation is (on my 5.0.1) the achilles heel of the video camera. It just sucks as it lurches to expose +/- . It "stairsteps" instead of flowing smoothly. It is very easy to replicate on my release...

Use a static shot, sit a friend in front of a blank wall or a sky (with the sun behind you if outdoors) and slowly pan and and down. The exposure should adjust smoothly, not lurch into the next plus or minus value. All video cameras perform this as it is necessary for video.

Removing the control option is very odd, as using a third party app you can lock the exposure and prevent this artifact. This is suboptimal but a workaround in a pinch.

I hope this is a precursor to some effort made to fix this crucial (for video at least) working feature.

Much of what people associate with iPhone 6 superior video is due to this issue IN MY OPINION.. The iPhone 6 video is silky smooth,the Nexux 6 has plenty of horsepower and a good lens but the CODEC and guts were not optimized.
    its not a nexus 6 problem, its a google camera problem. you can use/install whatever camera youd like on your phone.

also, on m, google camera has a few more little tweaks/features.
    It is actually a Nexus 6 only issue on Android 5.1
    Google said that they they disabled auto exposure system wide (not just in Google Camera) on 5.1 for the N6 as it was not performing as expected. This broke auto exposure in the standard Google Camera and also in other apps such as Camera FV-5.
    It's reported at https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=161613

This affects both the old and new Camera APIs - both of these now report 0 for min and max exposure (i.e., not supported). This definitely worked with Android 5 on the Nexus 6.
    Just starred this issue on Google code. Hope they will explain why they removed that function or admit that its just a bug!
    Manual exposure setting exists and works in AOSP Camera2 app.
    Its only missing in yhe new Google Camera.

Here it is running on my 6.0.1/MMB29K stock Nexus 6.

This is a new bug, apparently in the Camera 3.1 app on the Nexus 6, that just doesn't show the option for "manual exposure" (i.e. exposure compensation). Now on the N6 you can use exposure compensation with any other camera app, just like with the Nexus 5. The "old" bug that this thread refers to was system-wide, and it affected the Nexus 6 until Marshmallow. You could not use exposure compensation with any camera. But with Marshmallow now the Nexus 5X and 6P suffer from the same system-wide inability to do exposure compensation, and that's what that bug report is about.