• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Removal of Camera Exposure compensation (+/- ev)

Search This thread

mathieau

Mar 15, 2015
Manual exposure is back in the M preview MPZ44Q
I wonder if the fix used for the APIs in android M (or maybe completely new APIs) will be available soon for lollipop. Who has updated to 5.1.1 reports that there are not changes about ea exposure and I think it's ridiculous that Google's flagship has an embarrassing problem like this for that long.

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
I wonder if the fix used for the APIs in android M (or maybe completely new APIs) will be available soon for lollipop. Who has updated to 5.1.1 reports that there are not changes about ea exposure and I think it's ridiculous that Google's flagship has an embarrassing problem like this for that long.

its not a nexus 6 problem, its a google camera problem. you can use/install whatever camera youd like on your phone.

also, on m, google camera has a few more little tweaks/features.

springer.music

Dec 15, 2010
Planet Earth
its not a nexus 6 problem, its a google camera problem. you can use/install whatever camera youd like on your phone.

It is actually a Nexus 6 only issue on Android 5.1
Google said that they they disabled auto exposure system wide (not just in Google Camera) on 5.1 for the N6 as it was not performing as expected. This broke auto exposure in the standard Google Camera and also in other apps such as Camera FV-5.

andy o

May 6, 2012
Well, deja-effin-vu. Exposure compensation is missing again on the Nexus 6p. Not in Google's camera app, not in any other app. Google just being Google I guess. Things every single reviewer that so-praised the N6p's camera missed, never mind that there are barely any significant new features in Camera 3.0.

Reactions: schizophrenia

defcomg

Dec 10, 2006
Well, deja-effin-vu. Exposure compensation is missing again on the Nexus 6p. Not in Google's camera app, not in any other app. Google just being Google I guess. Things every single reviewer that so-praised the N6p's camera missed, never mind that there are barely any significant new features in Camera 3.0.

i think i might know where google might disabled it give me libchromatix_imx214 / libchromatix_imx377 preview / snapshot from nex6p

xdatastic

Jan 14, 2012
Sydney

Attachments

• Screenshot_20151219-103528.jpg
    Screenshot_20151219-103528.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 282

andy o

May 6, 2012
Manual exposure setting exists and works in AOSP Camera2 app.
Its only missing in yhe new Google Camera.

Here it is running on my 6.0.1/MMB29K stock Nexus 6.

This is a new bug, apparently in the Camera 3.1 app on the Nexus 6, that just doesn't show the option for "manual exposure" (i.e. exposure compensation). Now on the N6 you can use exposure compensation with any other camera app, just like with the Nexus 5. The "old" bug that this thread refers to was system-wide, and it affected the Nexus 6 until Marshmallow. You could not use exposure compensation with any camera. But with Marshmallow now the Nexus 5X and 6P suffer from the same system-wide inability to do exposure compensation, and that's what that bug report is about.

Reactions: PhilipTD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hmmmmm

anyone has any thoughts on why Google removed the Camera Exposure compensation (+/- ev) on Android 5.1? Let's discuss

Automatic exposure compensation is (on my 5.0.1) the achilles heel of the video camera. It just sucks as it lurches to expose +/- . It "stairsteps" instead of flowing smoothly. It is very easy to replicate on my release...

Use a static shot, sit a friend in front of a blank wall or a sky (with the sun behind you if outdoors) and slowly pan and and down. The exposure should adjust smoothly, not lurch into the next plus or minus value. All video cameras perform this as it is necessary for video.

Removing the control option is very odd, as using a third party app you can lock the exposure and prevent this artifact. This is suboptimal but a workaround in a pinch.

I hope this is a precursor to some effort made to fix this crucial (for video at least) working feature.

Much of what people associate with iPhone 6 superior video is due to this issue IN MY OPINION.. The iPhone 6 video is silky smooth,the Nexux 6 has plenty of horsepower and a good lens but the CODEC and guts were not optimized.

It is actually a Nexus 6 only issue on Android 5.1
    Google said that they they disabled auto exposure system wide (not just in Google Camera) on 5.1 for the N6 as it was not performing as expected. This broke auto exposure in the standard Google Camera and also in other apps such as Camera FV-5.
    It's reported at https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=161613

This affects both the old and new Camera APIs - both of these now report 0 for min and max exposure (i.e., not supported). This definitely worked with Android 5 on the Nexus 6.
    Just starred this issue on Google code. Hope they will explain why they removed that function or admit that its just a bug!
    Manual exposure setting exists and works in AOSP Camera2 app.
    Its only missing in yhe new Google Camera.

Here it is running on my 6.0.1/MMB29K stock Nexus 6.

This is a new bug, apparently in the Camera 3.1 app on the Nexus 6, that just doesn't show the option for "manual exposure" (i.e. exposure compensation). Now on the N6 you can use exposure compensation with any other camera app, just like with the Nexus 5. The "old" bug that this thread refers to was system-wide, and it affected the Nexus 6 until Marshmallow. You could not use exposure compensation with any camera. But with Marshmallow now the Nexus 5X and 6P suffer from the same system-wide inability to do exposure compensation, and that's what that bug report is about.