Remove AT&T Carrier customization open thread

Search This thread

iboj007

I wanted to go ahead and make an open thread for N6 AT&T folks so that we can talk about removing all AT&T customization from the phone. Here's what we know so far:

1. Phone is SIM locked to AT&T.
FIX: user @jamezr used http://www.cellunlocker.net/ for $25 and was able to obtain a working unlock code.

Also I requested an unlock code from http://www.swiftunlocks.com. They only charge $9.99. Code was delivered in 2 days (no weekends) and worked without issue.

2. Carrier branding on back of device-
FIX: from user @Affliction716 "On another note the AT&T Deathstar on the back scrapes off without leaving a mark at all!!! Just take a knife or the edge of a credit card and lightly scrape over it. Disappears like it was never there"

3. Bloatware is installed when device is activated with AT&T sim. Can be easily removed.
FIX: Setup the phone without AT&T Sim and it will not show up.

4. On bootup there is an annoying AT&T splash screen. This cannot be removed by simply flashing the factory image.
FIX: From @bodosom Using your favorite File Manager with root permissions:
1: Open /oem/media
2: Mount r/w.
3: Remove or rename the file bootanimation.zip
4: Reboot

5. Annoying AT&T default ringtones by default
FIX: Courtesy of @Plexicle (takes care of boot splash as well)

Contents of OEM:

/oem/lost+found/
(empty)

/oem/media/
/oem/media/ringtones/
/oem/media/ringtones/ATT_Catch_Me.mp3
/oem/media/ringtones/ATT_Firefly.mp3
/oem/media/ringtones/ATT_Play_On.mp3
/oem/media/ringtones/ATT_Stargazer.mp3

/oem/media/bootanimation.zip

/oem/oem.prop

oem.prop contains one line:
"ro.config.ringtone=ATT_Firefly.mp3"

The entire oem partition looks completely useless and should be safe to nuke.

Edit:
I emptied the oem partition entirely. Going to do a quick round of testing and make sure nothing is messed up and report back.

Editx2: back!
Everything is working great. The only thing I noticed is that the call ringtone was initially set to "Unknown ringtone" after first boot. It was probably set by oem.prop and then couldn't find it after that. Just changed it to a different tone, works great.

From @DA6030: So, it sounds like the single command "fastboot erase oem" should take care of most people, and can replace directions #4 and #5 in the OP. This avoids root or messing with ROMs, for the many users who don't need root, and preserves OTA compatibility from Google. One could even re-lock (fastboot oem lock) immediately afterwards, if one doesn't need the tethering fix.

6. Tethering is disabled unless you have a tethering plan.
FIX: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=56915621&postcount=48

Discuss!

Last edited:

ald9351

Jul 3, 2010
Dayton
I wanted to go ahead and make an open thread for N6 AT&T folks so that we can talk about removing all AT&T customization from the phone. Here's what we know so far:

1. Carrier branding on back of device
2. Bloatware is installed when device is activated with AT&T sim. Can be easily removed.
3. On bootup there is an annoying AT&T splash screen. This cannot be removed by simply flashing the factory image.

Discuss!
I also would like to know how to change the boot animation. It's driving me crazy, both from a Nexus standpoint and just because it's loud as hell. The first strike against the N6 in general is the Motorola M on the back. I would have rather seen the Nexus X logo there.

SilkyJohnson

Jul 17, 2014
Some guy in another thread here had success scraping off the AT&T logo with the edge of a credit card. Said it left no mark.

Don't blame me if you muck up your device. Lol.

Reactions: lowridincrew

sfidelisrp

May 26, 2013
Some guy in another thread here had success scraping off the AT&T logo with the edge of a credit card. Said it left no mark.

Don't blame me if you muck up your device. Lol.

I just did it, but couldn't get it done with a credit card. Used a scissors and lightly took it off. There's still a very faint imprint of the logo, but you need to be in the right light. I'll upload pics in a bit.

jcarlm

Jun 29, 2010
Indianapolis
It has a couple neg points, but it is still a nexus. I would agree with you if it had a different build number and didn't receive the updates directly from Google. In all the ways that really matter it's a Nexus. Just pisses purists off, myself included.

I would almost agree with you, but not quite.

Bootloader is still unlockable. Factory image still comes from Google. Carrier didn't touch the system partition. It's Nexus.

We can fix the animation issue.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

T
So Google will update this phone with the AT&T boot up on it or will AT&T update the phone adding the AT&T boot
This is why I don't believe it is a true pure Nexus

Last edited:

ald9351

Jul 3, 2010
Dayton
So Google will update this phone with the AT&T boot up on it or will AT&T update the phone adding the AT&T boot

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

This is why I don't believe it is a true pure Nexus

Google still updates it. the AT&T boot animation is in a separate partition from the system.

Reactions: MentalDragon

kashk5

Apr 18, 2006
4. On bootup there is an annoying AT&T splash screen. This cannot be removed by simply flashing the factory image.

Thank you so much! I don't mind the AT&T logo on the back, but damn that boot animation was annoyingly loud! I just disabled it and I no longer dread restarting my phone for fear of destroying my ear drums.

mdandashly

Dec 6, 2012
Question- will i have this issue if i purchased the phone from the GPS and then activate it with an att sim? Or is it only phones purchased from att?

Konikub

Jan 27, 2010
Woodbridge, VA
I just did it, but couldn't get it done with a credit card. Used a scissors and lightly took it off. There's still a very faint imprint of the logo, but you need to be in the right light. I'll upload pics in a bit.

I would love to see photos of what it looks like scraped off. I get mine Monday, and would be so happy if I could remove that logo on the back without scratching the heck out of it. I always knew the bootup could be removed or changed....I've been rooting and flashing for years now. So if you get a chance to upload some photos...or if anyone can, that would be greatly appreciated. :)

Reactions: addcancercat

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Phone is SIM locked to AT&T.
    FIX: user @jamezr used http://www.cellunlocker.net/ for $25 and was able to obtain a working unlock code.

Also I requested an unlock code from http://www.swiftunlocks.com. They only charge $9.99. Code was delivered in 2 days (no weekends) and worked without issue.

2. Carrier branding on back of device-
    FIX: from user @Affliction716 "On another note the AT&T Deathstar on the back scrapes off without leaving a mark at all!!! Just take a knife or the edge of a credit card and lightly scrape over it. Disappears like it was never there"

3. Bloatware is installed when device is activated with AT&T sim. Can be easily removed.
    FIX: Setup the phone without AT&T Sim and it will not show up.

5. Annoying AT&T default ringtones by default
    FIX: Courtesy of @Plexicle (takes care of boot splash as well)

Contents of OEM:

/oem/lost+found/
    (empty)

/oem/media/
    /oem/media/ringtones/
    /oem/media/ringtones/ATT_Catch_Me.mp3
    /oem/media/ringtones/ATT_Firefly.mp3
    /oem/media/ringtones/ATT_Play_On.mp3
    /oem/media/ringtones/ATT_Stargazer.mp3

/oem/media/bootanimation.zip

/oem/oem.prop

oem.prop contains one line:
    "ro.config.ringtone=ATT_Firefly.mp3"

The entire oem partition looks completely useless and should be safe to nuke.

Edit:
    I emptied the oem partition entirely. Going to do a quick round of testing and make sure nothing is messed up and report back.

Editx2: back!
    Everything is working great. The only thing I noticed is that the call ringtone was initially set to "Unknown ringtone" after first boot. It was probably set by oem.prop and then couldn't find it after that. Just changed it to a different tone, works great.

From @DA6030: So, it sounds like the single command "fastboot erase oem" should take care of most people, and can replace directions #4 and #5 in the OP. This avoids root or messing with ROMs, for the many users who don't need root, and preserves OTA compatibility from Google. One could even re-lock (fastboot oem lock) immediately afterwards, if one doesn't need the tethering fix.

6. Tethering is disabled unless you have a tethering plan.
    FIX: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=56915621&postcount=48

Discuss!
    Okay so I used a scissors and lightly scrapped it off. At first you could still sort of see the imprint of the logo but the more I use the phone the more it goes away. Here's some photos from different angles and lighting.

20141120_195126.jpg
    20141120_195102.jpg

20141120_195055.jpg
    20141120_194936.jpg

20141120_194849.jpg
    In my eyes, the ATT version is not a Nexus. Same thing happened with the Galaxy Nexus.

I would almost agree with you, but not quite.

Bootloader is still unlockable. Factory image still comes from Google. Carrier didn't touch the system partition. It's Nexus.

We can fix the animation issue.
    3. On bootup there is an annoying AT&T splash screen.
    Discuss!

Open /oem/media with your favorite tool.
    Mount r/w.
    Remove or rename the file bootanimation.zip and the directory ringtones.
    Mount r/o or just reboot since you know you want to.