Remove carrier branding off your phone?

Search This thread

teknx

Jul 27, 2009
The Samsung Vibrant looks like an awesome phone and I might pick one up. But I would like to know if it is possible to remove the T-Mobile branding (or any other branding for that matter).

*DISCLAIMER* Please do not try to remove the branding off of your phone if you do not know what you are doing (which is probably most of us). I will not be responsible for any damages that you or your phone might incur.

With that being said, my first suggestion would be to find out if the front case can be replaced just as easily as the back case. Can anyone confirm this?

If replacements for the front covers exist , that gives us some room to experiment. On the other hand, if it is not possible to swap it out then this whole idea could be too risky for most.

Also, can someone confirm if the branding is laser-etched onto the phone case?

accinfo

Jun 24, 2010
I was thinking about something like that too.
Now we have to wait till we have more info on the phone

bushrat

Jun 27, 2010
Sydney
I believe the front branding is actualy under the glass layer, probably the only option would be to buy a replacement screen ? Not sure if you could get under there to remove the branding. Its some kind of metalic material.

All the branding seems printed, not etched.

MacGuy2006

Sep 15, 2006
I believe the front branding is actualy under the glass layer....

Yep, this is what it looks like to me too.

I wish carriers and manufacturers would learn some taste from Apple and keep their sets cleaner. AT&T was basically not allowed to stick their logo on the iPhone, and design and good taste only benefited from it.

This is why I bought the unbranded Galaxy S, so I don't end up with some ugly carrier logo on the face of my phone (I wish the Samsung logo stayed on the back too).

drizek

Jul 6, 2010
This has really been annoying me. Not only is it branded, they doubled up. Carrier on top, manufacturer on bottom. Totally unnecessary and very ugly. I love that my Pre has very little branding on it, and none at all on the front of the phone.

I'm not stupid, I don't need to be reminded that it was made by Samsung every time I look at it.

teknx

Jul 27, 2009
Does Samsung sell replacement front covers for the Galaxy s? If so, it might just be as easy as swapping your branded cover with an unbranded Galaxy s one.

Don't forget that you can always go tacky by using the good ol' black sharpie.

accinfo

Jun 24, 2010
Yep, this is what it looks like to me too.

I wish carriers and manufacturers would learn some taste from Apple and keep their sets cleaner. AT&T was basically not allowed to stick their logo on the iPhone, and design and good taste only benefited from it.

This is why I bought the unbranded Galaxy S, so I don't end up with some ugly carrier logo on the face of my phone (I wish the Samsung logo stayed on the back too).

Yeahhh it lookks like that to me too.

Maybe we are able to use this guide? IFFFF it's not laser etched
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-remove-Logos-from-your-PDA--cell-phone-wit/

and we can use this guide to get the glass out?
http://translate.google.com/transla..._View.php?nModeC=4&nSeq=1742568&sl=auto&tl=en