Remove gapps en reinstall another package

Search This thread

GeoZzZ

Mar 4, 2017
Hi There,

Is succesfully flashed my i9300 (Samsung Galaxy S3) to Lineagos en flashed the Stock Gapps (the default) after it.

Now I discover that I installed way too much google apps which slow down my phone. For example.. I don't want google Now and some other apps.

Is there a way to deinstall Gapps en install another package? I tried factory reset / whipe data/dalvik but still got the gapps back.

I've been googling about this option but cannot find a good answer which helps me. So got my hope on you reader ;)

Last edited:

jhedfors

Oct 16, 2009
St Paul, AZ
Hi There,

Is succesfully flashed my i9300 (Samsung Galaxy S3) to Lineagos en flashed the Stock Gapps (the default) after it.

Now I discover that I installed way too much google apps which slow down my phone. For example.. I don't want google Now and some other apps.

If it is OpenGapps, you can flash the smaller package on top, and it should work.

Perhaps the better method, would be to wipe system/cache/dalvik (keeping data), flash ROM and new Gapps package, and you should be good.
Is there a way to deinstall Gapps en install another package? I tried factory reset / whipe data/dalvik but still got the gapps back.

I've been googling about this option but cannot find a good answer which helps me. So got my hope on you reader ;)
Yes - Wipe System/Cache/Dalvik, and flash ROM/Gapps again.

If you are using OpenGapps, you can just flash the smaller OpenGapps package on top of the installed OpenGapps, and this would uninstall the apps not included in the smaller package.

Last edited:

Ibuprophen

Sep 4, 2012
Upstate New York
Hi There,

If you are using OpenGapps, you can just flash the smaller OpenGapps package on top of the installed OpenGapps, and this would uninstall the apps not included in the smaller package.

I just wanted to add a quick little caveat to this (with no disrespect):

While in the recovery, when you flash a GApps package (or even one over another), you'll see within the progress of it being flashed, some verbiage that states it removing old/previously installed apps before the GApps performs that packages installation.

Thanks!

Peace and Love!
Peace and Love!
~Ringo Starr~

Sent on my Communicator [SCH-I535] from the Bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise...

**IF I WAS HELPFUL IN ANY WAY THEN**
**PLZ THANK ME WITH A THUMBS UP!**

GeoZzZ

Mar 4, 2017
Thank you!

I think that did the job. But now my device keeps saying Android is being started with sort of progress bar. I did the lineageos walkthrough screens. After that I am not coming further than this screen...

I installed Aroma and made my choice.

i63.tinypic.com/20zckrs.gif

Last edited:

GeoZzZ

Mar 4, 2017
4 hours later. Still the same screen...
When I reboot also got this screen.

Installed an earlier build. Now it's working...

Last edited:

jhedfors

Oct 16, 2009
St Paul, AZ
4 hours later. Still the same screen...
When I reboot also got this screen.

Installed an earlier build. Now it's working...
I have not used Aroma installer, but have had great luck using OpenGapps (super) along with gapps-config. You just have it in the same directory as the OpenGapps zip, and it installs just the apps that you indicate in the file. Unzip my file in the next post as a starting point, if you are interested.

Last edited:

jhedfors

Oct 16, 2009
St Paul, AZ
OpenGapps gapps-config

I have not used Aroma installer, but have had great luck using OpenGapps (super) along with gapps-config. You just have it in the same directory as the OpenGapps zip, and it installs just the apps that you indicate in the file. Unzip my file as a starting point, if you are interested.

http://opengapps.org/

My zipped gapps-config attached.

Attachments

• .gapps-config.zip
    395 bytes · Views: 5,740
Last edited:

vamsi2405

Sep 9, 2016
Vizianagaram
Thank you!

I think that did the job. But now my device keeps saying Android is being started with sort of progress bar. I did the lineageos walkthrough screens. After that I am not coming further than this screen...

I installed Aroma and made my choice.

i63.tinypic.com/20zckrs.gif

choosing the pico variant of the gapps doesnot include you a google now home launcher , so when you see tha android is starting progress bar, your device says that it cannot start a launcher because you havent provided one, so get an alternative launcher

OpenGApps AROMA vs gapps-config

I have not used Aroma installer, but have had great luck using OpenGapps (super) along with gapps-config. You just have it in the same directory as the OpenGapps zip, and it installs just the apps that you indicate in the file...

From https://github.com/opengapps/opengapps/wiki/Aroma-Package

The Aroma package is a special version of the regular 'Super' package, but with a graphical front-end that will allow you to select which specific applications to install (or not) without having to manually write a gapps-config file.

Screenshots of each step of the installation process are located here.

[MENTION=6135364]...The gapps-config file works with any OpenGApps package except AROMA. If you are using AROMA, use the UI to select the needed keywords...

Again, you can't do manually the gapps-config and use it with AROMA, it doesn't work with AROMA that way. Just flash AROMA and select your keywords from UI, and check the "save selections" check-box if you want to use the same settings later in other AROMA installation...

Last edited:

gulage1989

Jul 9, 2017
Wipe 1System/2Cache/3Dalvik, and flash ROM/Gapps again.?

Wipe 1System/2Cache/3Dalvik, and flash ROM/Gapps again.and reboot system ?

discopunkzero

May 2, 2011
Terrible advice to wipe System/Cache/Dalvik

It was terrible advice in my case to wipe System/Cache/Dalvik! I'm running an LG G2 D802 in LineageOS. I had installed the wrong gapps package, so was looking to ice it and start over. Now I can't even boot the phone into TWRP recovery! I just get the LG boot logo, no matter what.

Power + volume down, then any combination of continued putting pressing and hold does nothing. Still displays the LG boot logo.

Any ideas?

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
It was terrible advice in my case to wipe System/Cache/Dalvik! I'm running an LG G2 D802 in LineageOS. I had installed the wrong gapps package, so was looking to ice it and start over. Now I can't even boot the phone into TWRP recovery! I just get the LG boot logo, no matter what.

Power + volume down, then any combination of continued putting pressing and hold does nothing. Still displays the LG boot logo.

Any ideas?
Try to boot onto fastboot mode and flash twrp or stock ROM

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi There,

If it is OpenGapps, you can flash the smaller package on top, and it should work.

Perhaps the better method, would be to wipe system/cache/dalvik (keeping data), flash ROM and new Gapps package, and you should be good.

Hi There,

I just wanted to add a quick little caveat to this (with no disrespect):

While in the recovery, when you flash a GApps package (or even one over another), you'll see within the progress of it being flashed, some verbiage that states it removing old/previously installed apps before the GApps performs that packages installation.

Thanks!

Peace and Love!
    Peace and Love!
    ~Ringo Starr~

Sent on my Communicator [SCH-I535] from the Bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise...

**IF I WAS HELPFUL IN ANY WAY THEN**
    **PLZ THANK ME WITH A THUMBS UP!**
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone