How To Guide Remove NavBar Gesture Pill (and more) for Pixel 6 Pro

Search This thread

pappy97

Dec 5, 2012
Which apps are you seeing that have no white line?
Also, are you rooted or unrooted?

I'm currently unrooted, but, I may go back to root just to gain this feature back (that is, if it still works for rooted users).
Off topic (my apologies) .... The other reason I'm likely going back to root is to regain use of all the features of the app SD Maid (Pro). (There is a support thread here in XDA if anyone is interested in that app & it's available in the Google Play Store).

It was all of them, but it came back later that night. I am fully stock unrooted, locked bootloader.

No idea why it went away, or why it came back. Can't reproduce it. When I had a P5, the only reason I rooted was for removal of the white line and the unnecessary black space. I really wanted to keep my P6P stock, unrooted with locked bootloader, but we'll see.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member

atomotron

Jan 29, 2022
What's the percentage likelihood that hiding the navbar will be a stock feature added in the official Google February patch?

I had to rollback the January update back to November's to enable hiding of the navbar :( Why is Google insistent on causing screen burn on the base of my screen and permanently wasting screen space real estate?? It's really not too much to ask that we have the option to turn off the navbar when it's a standard feature across many competing Android phones.

Reactions: [email protected]

pcriz

What's the percentage likelihood that hiding the navbar will be a stock feature added in the official Google February patch?

I had to rollback the January update back to November's to enable hiding of the navbar :( Why is Google insistent on causing screen burn on the base of my screen and permanently wasting screen space real estate?? It's really not too much to ask that we have the option to turn off the navbar when it's a standard feature across many competing Android phones.

Probably quite low

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P

0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

tiennz0827

Feb 6, 2022
Pixel 2 XL Android 11 can't install FabricateOverlays app. Please Support for android 11. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220206-141425.png
    Screenshot_20220206-141425.png
    122.5 KB · Views: 76

thucbui262

Feb 6, 2022
Fabricate Overlay not working on my 4XL. When I save, app crashed. Sorry for my English is bad.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member

I've said before, I'm not a betting man, but I would bet $1 that the ability wouldn't come out on stock in February, and I'd gladly pay up the whole dollar on the bet if it did. :)

Reactions: Lughnasadh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When you Swype fromt the sides to go back the back arrows still appear, I just installed any way to get rid of that?

I also notice lag when changing camera modes...
    Ohhhh! Yeah the arrows are still there. Andddd I didn't know the camera lagged like hell until now...I am uninstallimg it.
    A couple of alternatives if you guys are willing to try:

-Install Pixel Tweaks apk and activate through Substratum Lite.

-A magisk module for removing the navbar.

If you are looking to use custom navigation gestures, make sure to switch to '3 button navigation' and activate your custom method before disabling navbar.
    How To Hide Navigation bar completely ( To support 3rd party navigation apps )

1. Change navigation to 3 button navigation in Setting --> System --> Gestures --> System navigation

2. Install navigation app ( e.g Fluid navigation gestures or vivid navigation gestures ) and enable and configure it before rebooting the device

3. Flash below magisk module and reboot the device

Now you can use your favourite navigation apps like Fluid navigation gestures or vivid navigation gestures app
    Fabricated crashes when selecting Android system, I am rooted aswell. Does anyone have a fix? If it's relevant, I am on Android 12L, derpfest rom
    Maybe you should try flashing the latest release : 1.1.0. It's only two weeks old so probably more up to date! If it crashes, you can file an issue on the developer's github page, which I have linked in the OP. Good luck!
    How To Hide Navigation bar completely ( To support 3rd party navigation apps )

1. Change navigation to 3 button navigation in Setting --> System --> Gestures --> System navigation

2. Install navigation app ( e.g Fluid navigation gestures or vivid navigation gestures ) and enable and configure it before rebooting the device

3. Flash below magisk module and reboot the device

Now you can use your favourite navigation apps like Fluid navigation gestures or vivid navigation gestures app
    Thanks for the great advice. ProtonAOSP ROM wasn't working with hiding the navbar after Jan. Picked up the Vivid Nav one and the module you shared helped without a hitch.

Thanks again
    Update: This only works if you are rooted now, since the January 2022 patch.

Hi guys, I've seen several posts asking how to remove the Gesture Pill. It's easy if you're rooted, but it's also possible if you're not rooted.
    Here is a step by step guide. There is also a huge amount of UI mods that can be made using the same method.

1. Download the Shizuku app from the Playstore
    2. Start the Shizuku app by running the following adb command:
    adb shell sh /sdcard/Android/data/moe.shizuku.privileged.api/start.sh
    3. Download and install FabricateOverlay release from Github.
    4. In FabricateOverlay click “Add Overlay”
    5. Choose Android System
    6. Click “Add”
    7. Set “android:dimen/navigation_bar_height” to 1. Apply. Save. Tick.
    8. Set “android:dimen/navigation_bar_frame_height” to 0. Apply. Save. Tick.
    9. Enjoy!

Let me know in the thread if anything is unclear.

Thanks to @squee666 for an alternative solution that does not affect the keyboard! Try it out!

Credits:
    Zachary Wander for the FabricateOverlay app and the instructions.
    RikkaW for the Shizuku Api.
    MishaalRahman, Quinny898 and various Redditors (especially LankeeM9 and audie-tron171) for the relevant settings.
    i think the other question is what kind of other good tips/tricks can be done with this apps?
    Hi, some people on reddit have compiled a spreadsheet. It is incomplete but it's a start: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1n3-EbZWS18TzDErelJIB_1lPLtih7eJ5VVx0djHOIFs/edit#gid=0

https://www.reddit.com/r/android_beta/comments/qjwcqf
    Alternatively, if you are not in too much hurry, I am currently trying to write an app that will make the non-root tweaks easier.
    Hi guys, is anyone interested in an app that makes the overlays a bit simpler? You would still need to install and start Shizuku, but then you could do a bit of theming without root. I have almost finished making an app that allows you to change a few colours without root using a colour picker. For instance, the Material You colours and the drawer colours. I made it for fun but I can share it. If people are interested, I can gradually add more features. Let me know and no worries if not, I know this will probably only interest those of you who are not using a third party launcher in any case. ;-)

Link to new thread here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/non-root-mods-rootless-ui-mods.4366697/
    @StrangerWeather

From Reddit
    Somehow I managed to hide the navigation bar while KEEP the keyboard gaps.

#Android system

set "navigation_bar_height" to 1 px.

set "navigation_bar_height_landscape" to 1 px.

save then enable.

Edit: set to 1 px instead of 0 to fix the camera lag issue then switching modes.

#System UI

set "navigation_home_handle_dark_color" to 00000000. (only the first 2 hex matters, 0x00rrggbb for 0% opacity)

set "navigation_home_handle_light_color" to 00000000.

save then enable.

after activating the layout, switch light/dark theme to make it actually take effects.

Using this now works perfect also fabric overlay a right battery drain when actively using
    Actuall you don't (really) need the apps ... you can generate and enable/disable these overlays via adb:
    Code:
    > adb shell
    > su
    # cmd overlay fabricate --target android --name ChooseYourName1 android:dimen/navigation_bar_frame_height 0x05 0x00
    # cmd overlay enable ChooseYourName1
    # cmd overlay disable ChooseYourName1
    # cmd overlay list
    #
    # cmd overlay fabricate --target android --name ChooseYourName2 android:dimen/navigation_bar_height 0x05 0x01
    First command generates the overlay (named ChooseYourName1), second command enables it, third command disables it, fourth command shows a list of all overlays.

Just type:
    Code:
    # cmd overlay
    And you can see what other command line args are supported.