How To Guide Remove NavBar Gesture Pill (and more) for Pixel 6 Pro

Search This thread

pavelcheto

Apr 15, 2011
Is it possible to remove the gesture to swipe on the bottom of the screen to go to recent apps? I am using SwiftKey and when I hide the bottom bar and try to switch language (swipe on the Space button) I activate the recent app gesture.

vrda08

Aug 23, 2013
Hy, do I need disable tweaks before OTA update, or just install OTA over this..

level5music

Oct 13, 2007
Looking to see if I can blank out the lockscreen using this. I've fiddled with lines in systemui, trying to put font values to zero but it doesn't seem to stick 100% of the time, it comes back periodically without me doing anything, and furthermore it will blank back out without me doing anything. Also, haven't been able to find anything that works with the lockscreen date either. Any ideas?

StrangerWeather

Recognized Contributor
Jul 18, 2012
Oxford
Looking to see if I can blank out the lockscreen using this. I've fiddled with lines in systemui, trying to put font values to zero but it doesn't seem to stick 100% of the time, it comes back periodically without me doing anything, and furthermore it will blank back out without me doing anything. Also, haven't been able to find anything that works with the lockscreen date either. Any ideas?
What do you mean by "blank out the lockscreen"? :)

level5music

Oct 13, 2007
What do you mean by "blank out the lockscreen"? :)
Basically to have any clocks/dates/owner info be invisible. So far I can sort of do this with the clock, however it's been popping in an out when it wants to, I think when I'm off wi-fi, the app loses wireless ADB so the clock comes back. I also can't figure out how to make the lock screen date be invisible.

StrangerWeather

Recognized Contributor
Jul 18, 2012
Oxford
Basically to have any clocks/dates/owner info be invisible. So far I can sort of do this with the clock, however it's been popping in an out when it wants to, I think when I'm off wi-fi, the app loses wireless ADB so the clock comes back. I also can't figure out how to make the lock screen date be invisible.
No idea sorry, maybe someone else?

mrfe66

Apr 15, 2011
Thank you. it worked for my pixel 6.
I have a question: can the same be done to the same white scrollbar on the home screen when you swide sidewaya?

thepersona

Nov 9, 2018
Google Pixel 4 XL
Sony Xperia 5 II
Even with the gesture turned off, my camera takes 5 seconds or more to switch from front facing to rear or between modes. Which is why I'm inquiring on how to turn this off as if it was never turned on. What is the original setting or stock setting for the? Navigation bar? I currently believe I said it to zero.
I am aware that you can just turn this off and it will bring things back to normal. But just for the sake of being thorough, what is the stock value for where the navigation bar/ pill should be?

I did send it to zero to remove it but now I want to set it back to the way it was, despite turning it off. I know that is an option but I want to be foolproof. Foolproof I want it to be as if this app wasn't installed prior to my device. So what would the stock value be for the gesture pill?

Last edited:

thepersona

Nov 9, 2018
Google Pixel 4 XL
Sony Xperia 5 II
Looks like I'll have to turn off auto update until there's a patch or an update released to this app or any of them using this method for tweaks to continue being allowed or used.

Absolutely shameful and disgusting how Google prevents customization measures with apps like this. They should allow us to do whatever we wish since they couldn't provide even the bare minimum properly. Hopefully the creators of this app in addition to others that use the same method will be able to find ways around the patches

Ok ... Now I understand why yesterday I lost all evening trying and it didn't work .... Because I was already with the December update .... So today a method to remove that hateful space doesn't exist without root?

Last edited:

acefan

Nov 4, 2012
Hi everyone,

I recently got my (non-pro) Pixel 6 and was looking for a method to remove the navbar in order to use a 3rd-Party Navigation App like Fluid NG or Vivid NG.
Before I found this thread, I came across some other ones that seem to provide different approaches.
I just wanted to link them here in case someone else is doing research on the topic.

All the below-mentioned methods require root.

Method 1 (using Magik Fullscreen/Immersive Gestures): https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...es-in-any-rom-in-less-than-2-minutes.4315815/

Method 2 (using Magisk Hide Props Config): https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ar-for-3rd-party-navigation-gestures.4225775/

Method 3 (using Substratum Lite and nonavbar.apk): https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/how-to-remove-nav-bar-in-android-11.4190469/

With method 1 I was able to remove the gesture pill (when using Google Gestures), but it does not seem to work when trying to remove the 3 button navigation bar.

I tested method 2 and it works fine for me, although after applying the solution, there is a small arrow left (see bottom part oft the screenshot). If someone knows a way to remove the small arrow, feel free to report here. (The little arrow came from the "Swipe indicator" checkbox setting in Nova Launcher 7)

photo_2021-12-19_12-28-19.jpg

Last edited:

Genetic517

Nov 2, 2011
Has anyone been able to lower the height of the status bar so it sits right below the punch hole? It feels a bit too tall and taking up space. I tried changing the status bar height / portrait but it seems to break the icons on the lock screen (they get moved up to the top edge of the screen and get cut off)

mrfe66

Apr 15, 2011
This is how my screen looks. I have pixel 6 not the pro.
Everything went fine. no glitch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211220-114246.png
    Screenshot_20211220-114246.png
    170.7 KB · Views: 85

mir2006

Aug 13, 2008
I can't install fabricate overlay apk.
I have this error "there was a problem parsing the package".

I've tried 1.0.2 and 1.03 with the same results.

Anyone can help me? Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good afternoon again.
    I just noticed that you're the developer of the module you've linked. Thank you so much for your work!
    After the update to the June's firmware the workaround you've created unfortunately gives a bootloop. Is there's a way to share some kind of log to trace the issue?
    That's because these are firmware specific. Go here.

Use the one here...

Update: This only works if you are rooted now, since the January 2022 patch.

Hi guys, I've seen several posts asking how to remove the Gesture Pill. It's easy if you're rooted, but it's also possible if you're not rooted.
    Here is a step by step guide. There is also a huge amount of UI mods that can be made using the same method.

1. Download the Shizuku app from the Playstore
    2. Start the Shizuku app by running the following adb command:
    adb shell sh /sdcard/Android/data/moe.shizuku.privileged.api/start.sh
    3. Download and install FabricateOverlay release from Github.
    4. In FabricateOverlay click “Add Overlay”
    5. Choose Android System
    6. Click “Add”
    7. Set “android:dimen/navigation_bar_height” to 1. Apply. Save. Tick.
    8. Set “android:dimen/navigation_bar_frame_height” to 0. Apply. Save. Tick.
    9. Enjoy!

Let me know in the thread if anything is unclear.

Thanks to @squee666 for an alternative solution that does not affect the keyboard! Try it out!

Credits:
    Zachary Wander for the FabricateOverlay app and the instructions.
    RikkaW for the Shizuku Api.
    MishaalRahman, Quinny898 and various Redditors (especially LankeeM9 and audie-tron171) for the relevant settings.
    i think the other question is what kind of other good tips/tricks can be done with this apps?
    Hi, some people on reddit have compiled a spreadsheet. It is incomplete but it's a start: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1n3-EbZWS18TzDErelJIB_1lPLtih7eJ5VVx0djHOIFs/edit#gid=0

https://www.reddit.com/r/android_beta/comments/qjwcqf
    Alternatively, if you are not in too much hurry, I am currently trying to write an app that will make the non-root tweaks easier.
    Hi guys, is anyone interested in an app that makes the overlays a bit simpler? You would still need to install and start Shizuku, but then you could do a bit of theming without root. I have almost finished making an app that allows you to change a few colours without root using a colour picker. For instance, the Material You colours and the drawer colours. I made it for fun but I can share it. If people are interested, I can gradually add more features. Let me know and no worries if not, I know this will probably only interest those of you who are not using a third party launcher in any case. ;-)

Link to new thread here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/non-root-mods-rootless-ui-mods.4366697/
    @StrangerWeather

From Reddit
    Somehow I managed to hide the navigation bar while KEEP the keyboard gaps.

#Android system

set "navigation_bar_height" to 1 px.

set "navigation_bar_height_landscape" to 1 px.

save then enable.

Edit: set to 1 px instead of 0 to fix the camera lag issue then switching modes.

#System UI

set "navigation_home_handle_dark_color" to 00000000. (only the first 2 hex matters, 0x00rrggbb for 0% opacity)

set "navigation_home_handle_light_color" to 00000000.

save then enable.

after activating the layout, switch light/dark theme to make it actually take effects.

Using this now works perfect also fabric overlay a right battery drain when actively using
    Actuall you don't (really) need the apps ... you can generate and enable/disable these overlays via adb:
    Code:
    > adb shell
    > su
    # cmd overlay fabricate --target android --name ChooseYourName1 android:dimen/navigation_bar_frame_height 0x05 0x00
    # cmd overlay enable ChooseYourName1
    # cmd overlay disable ChooseYourName1
    # cmd overlay list
    #
    # cmd overlay fabricate --target android --name ChooseYourName2 android:dimen/navigation_bar_height 0x05 0x01
    First command generates the overlay (named ChooseYourName1), second command enables it, third command disables it, fourth command shows a list of all overlays.

Just type:
    Code:
    # cmd overlay
    And you can see what other command line args are supported.