• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question removing inner PET layer

Search This thread

festr

Nov 4, 2010
Hello,

I have read in some forum that someone removed the PET layer because of the glass experience. I removed it on fold2 and I'm considering removing it on fold3 as well as I do not like the plastic layer compared to pure glass on fold2. Anyone did this already? Or heard anyone doing it?

Jake.S

First of all fold 2 has not got PET screen protector, only fold 3 has it and I can say you don't need to remove it. Since screen feels really good with PET protector so it feels like glass already with it.

Fold 2 has more like a plastic screen Protector. While fold 3 with PET is more like thin silicone protector but you don't feel silicone. It feels more like you are actually touching the glass.

Removing it puts screen more vulnerable to damage and marks that easily gets created and much more.

Reactions: Diaconescu_Tiberiu

festr

Nov 4, 2010
I know the fold2 is not PET, I have modified my post. I have my both phones in front of me - fold2 without protector (pure glass) and the fold3 - the touch is still with too much friction and I hate it. I'm ok with the unprotected glass as after months of using fold2 without any protector is totally ok without any major scratches. The question for me is - is here anyone who removed the annoying PET layer already?

knives of ice

Jul 12, 2007
Hello,

I have read in some forum that someone removed the PET layer because of the glass experience. I removed it on fold2 and I'm considering removing it on fold3 as well as I do not like the plastic layer compared to pure glass on fold2. Anyone did this already? Or heard anyone doing it?

I removed it within the first hour of ownership. I removed mine on the fold 2 - to me after getting used to a phone with no protector this phone is unusable with it on. there is no reason to keep it on unless you plan on using the Spen a bunch, which I do not plan on using. I had no problems on the fold2 and the experience is night and day with and without it imo.

anyone who thinks the phone feels the same with and without the protector is flat out wrong. the phone is not as vibrant with the protector, provides a ton of fingerprints, and does not feel near the same as glass without the protector.

festr

Nov 4, 2010
I removed it within the first hour of ownership. I removed mine on the fold 2 - to me after getting used to a phone with no protector this phone is unusable with it on. there is no reason to keep it on unless you plan on using the Spen a bunch, which I do not plan on using. I had no problems on the fold2 and the experience is night and day with and without it imo.

anyone who thinks the phone feels the same with and without the protector is flat out wrong. the phone is not as vibrant with the protector, provides a ton of fingerprints, and does not feel near the same as glass without the protector.
Im confused now - did you removed the protection also on fold3 please?

Reactions: Noob_2009

Sonin66

Dec 15, 2012
Cleveland, OH
I've been itching to pull mine off as I've had the same screen protector before I even got the phone. The factory one is better than nothing, but I've wiped so many y finger prints off that's its annoying at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slicc98

dezborders

Jun 23, 2010
Glasgow
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I had my Z Fold 2 without a screen protector sitting next to my Z Fold 3 with the factory screen protector the other day. I could not see nor feel any difference between the two. Definitely not enough to risk damaging the screen or voiding the warranty of the ZF3.

I'm not wrong.

Totally agree 100%. The Fold3 with factory fitted inner screen protector feels IDENTICAL to the F2 with screen protector removed.

For the above reason, removing the factory screen protector is insane and buying a 3rd party replacement screen protector is a wast eof $$$ .... better making a charitable donation than buying a 2nd one,

xile6

Dec 2, 2008
Dallas
Yea i dont understand this glass feel.
The screen itself is a softer plastic then the protector. Hence the reason for a stronger thicker protector.

Im leaving mine on. And when it gets scratched up i am taking it to samsung for a new one so i can keep my warranty

The screen itself is a softer plastic then the protector. Hence the reason for a stronger thicker protector.

Im leaving mine on. And when it gets scratched up i am taking it to samsung for a new one so i can keep my warranty
100% this

Talderon

I've been itching to pull mine off as I've had the same screen protector before I even got the phone. The factory one is better than nothing, but I've wiped so many y finger prints off that's its annoying at this point.
Okay, is it just me or does this screen protector NOT go edge-to-edge? What's the point when it does not even cover the entire screen like the factory one?

I'm still waiting for mine, but I highly doubt I will pull the factory protector off and put on a 3rd party one that does not even cover the entire screen, ESPECIALLY with how much WhiteStone charges for their stuff, and, with being even more blatantly honest, their quality has suffered...

Sonin66

Dec 15, 2012
Cleveland, OH
Okay, is it just me or does this screen protector NOT go edge-to-edge? What's the point when it does not even cover the entire screen like the factory one?

I'm still waiting for mine, but I highly doubt I will pull the factory protector off and put on a 3rd party one that does not even cover the entire screen, ESPECIALLY with how much WhiteStone charges for their stuff, and, with being even more blatantly honest, their quality has suffered...
I know mine doesn't cover the full screen, maybe 1-2 mm off around the whole screen. But I can understand where you get their quality has gone down. Had whitestone on my 21u, and the first screen protector that came with jig was superb. Their replacement didn't seem to last long. I still haven't installed mine though..

Reactions: Talderon

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I had my Z Fold 2 without a screen protector sitting next to my Z Fold 3 with the factory screen protector the other day. I could not see nor feel any difference between the two. Definitely not enough to risk damaging the screen or voiding the warranty of the ZF3.

I'm not wrong.

Totally agree 100%. The Fold3 with factory fitted inner screen protector feels IDENTICAL to the F2 with screen protector removed.

For the above reason, removing the factory screen protector is insane and buying a 3rd party replacement screen protector is a wast eof $$$ .... better making a charitable donation than buying a 2nd one,
    I never removed my Fold2's inner protector as I actually had a few small nicks on their from my wife's finger nails... The inner screen protector on the Fold3 feels amazing when compared to the Fold2. It actually dies feel like glass as opposed to the resistive touch screen feel of the Fold2. Also, inner display on the Fold3 is doing moderately better with fingerprints. Mine will stay on. Really happy with the feel of it this time around.

I'm not wrong.
    source? Samsung claims it is super thin glass
    Go to about 2:30