• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question removing inner PET layer

Search This thread
Reviews ain't that great.
(1 Set) Orzero Front Screen Protector and Back Screen Protector Compatible for Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G (Tempered Glass), 3D Curved Edge 9 Hardness HD Bubble-Free (Lifetime Replacement) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CPFHXJ...abc_4HG94ZMD65AAFWHT3DPF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
They've changed them. They used to just be a thin TPU screen protector like the factory one.

Whitestone Dome has a couple for the outer screen too.

atvxda

Apr 3, 2008
Boston
I never removed my Fold2's inner protector as I actually had a few small nicks on their from my wife's finger nails... The inner screen protector on the Fold3 feels amazing when compared to the Fold2. It actually dies feel like glass as opposed to the resistive touch screen feel of the Fold2. Also, inner display on the Fold3 is doing moderately better with fingerprints. Mine will stay on. Really happy with the feel of it this time around.

Talderon

I never removed my Fold2's inner protector as I actually had a few small nicks on their from my wife's finger nails... The inner screen protector on the Fold3 feels amazing when compared to the Fold2. It actually dies feel like glass as opposed to the resistive touch screen feel of the Fold2. Also, inner display on the Fold3 is doing moderately better with fingerprints. Mine will stay on. Really happy with the feel of it this time around.
I think I am going to be in the same boat as you. My brother got his Fold 3 already and he says, to him, the main screen is a fingerprint magnet, however, he's REALLY picky and SUPER sensitive of this stuff, so he is pulling the trigger on the Dome Silk to see if that works better.

I hate fingerprints as much as the next person, however, it does not bother me too much as I have Micro-Fiber cleaning cloths everywhere to easily clean the screen when needed. The FEEL is what would bother me more than the fingerprints, so it's nice to hear that it is smooth like glass. This was my biggest concern, but I keep reading that it's nice, so I just have to decide on the outer protector since the vast majority of the reports I have read/heard say that it's not all that great, and it's cheaper to replace than the inner. LOL!

Thanks for the update!!

Reactions: atvxda
I think I am going to be in the same boat as you. My brother got his Fold 3 already and he says, to him, the main screen is a fingerprint magnet, however, he's REALLY picky and SUPER sensitive of this stuff, so he is pulling the trigger on the Dome Silk to see if that works better.

I hate fingerprints as much as the next person, however, it does not bother me too much as I have Micro-Fiber cleaning cloths everywhere to easily clean the screen when needed. The FEEL is what would bother me more than the fingerprints, so it's nice to hear that it is smooth like glass. This was my biggest concern, but I keep reading that it's nice, so I just have to decide on the outer protector since the vast majority of the reports I have read/heard say that it's not all that great, and it's cheaper to replace than the inner. LOL!

Thanks for the update!!
This. I think people confuse oleophobic with oleo-proof. I'd say this screen protector does repel some fingerprints, but no screen protectors repel them all. What this does is make it super easy to wipe them off. I keep a microfiber cloth in my pocket, or I usually wear soft t-shirts, and a quick wipe makes the screen look perfect and streak free.

I would genuinely like to hear your brother's experience with the WSD Silk, especially if he uses the SPen. But I don't see myself spending $90 to replace the factory one.

And as I've said before the surface of the ZF2 and ZF3 screen is 100% plastic. The ultra thin glass is hidden below a layer of plastic, so you're never touching glass anyway. Just find a screen protector that feels as smooth as possible and still offers protection. For the ZF3, that seems to be the factory one.

And if you watch Zach's durability test and teardown, the deep grooves and scratches he put in the factory screen protector were completely gone when he removed it. There were no indents in the actual screen at all (until he put some in, of course :D ). That sold me.

atvxda

Apr 3, 2008
Boston

Thanks for the update!!
I hate fingerprints as well, however the Fold2 not only collected fingerprints it also felt like an old Windows phone. Lol. Fold3's inner screen protector is night and day.

festr

Nov 4, 2010
I gave the inner pet layer chance before removing and I have reconsidered not removing it. It is really near glass experience. Anyone here still removed it? Any feedbacks?

Damian

Mar 7, 2009
All what I can see is film not glass. Probably much better than preapplied by Samsung but I wouldn't put my warranty at risk.

I gotta be honest. It's been nice not having to scour Amazon for the best screen protector for once. Seems each new phone I get, I end up spending a ton trying different screen protectors. The factory one feels so nice, is really scratch resistant, and is invisible. I have zero reason to look for a replacement. Even the exterior one has been great. But if it needs replacement it's much simpler to do.

Reactions: jordant2

Sonin66

Dec 15, 2012
Cleveland, OH
I gotta be honest. It's been nice not having to scour Amazon for the best screen protector for once. Seems each new phone I get, I end up spending a ton trying different screen protectors. The factory one feels so nice, is really scratch resistant, and is invisible. I have zero reason to look for a replacement. Even the exterior one has been great. But if it needs replacement it's much simpler to do.
It is nice, and does actually feel good but I wanted piece of mind of having glass. But that's just me

Damian

Mar 7, 2009
Inner screen protector is piece of crap. I love to play Call of Duty Mobile sometimes and this protector feels like sand paper - can't move properly. But hey ho, warranty. :)
I removed outer protector and applied Whitestone Dome UV Glass.
Will see how long I will last with inner and say "f**k the warranty" ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I really like the inner one. Very smooth. Feels like glass.
    So far, I have not seen a reason to remove the inner screen protector. On the Z Fold2, I removed both the inner and outer screen protectors within a week of owning the
    device.
    Yea i dont understand this glass feel.
    The screen itself is a softer plastic then the protector. Hence the reason for a stronger thicker protector.

Im leaving mine on. And when it gets scratched up i am taking it to samsung for a new one so i can keep my warranty
    I had my Z Fold 2 without a screen protector sitting next to my Z Fold 3 with the factory screen protector the other day. I could not see nor feel any difference between the two. Definitely not enough to risk damaging the screen or voiding the warranty of the ZF3.

I'm not wrong.

Totally agree 100%. The Fold3 with factory fitted inner screen protector feels IDENTICAL to the F2 with screen protector removed.

For the above reason, removing the factory screen protector is insane and buying a 3rd party replacement screen protector is a wast eof $$$ .... better making a charitable donation than buying a 2nd one,
    I had my Z Fold 2 without a screen protector sitting next to my Z Fold 3 with the factory screen protector the other day. I could not see nor feel any difference between the two. Definitely not enough to risk damaging the screen or voiding the warranty of the ZF3.

I'm not wrong.
    source? Samsung claims it is super thin glass
    Go to about 2:30