Sharing below guide per latest findings for assisting unlucky users who have bricked the ROG5 and stuck in EDL mode.
- I'm not responsible for any broken devices using these steps.
- This is intended as a last resort solution for saving a fully bricked device stuck in EDL mode.
- If your device has a working bootloader, it is strongly recommended to attempt a normal RAW flash and exhaust all other options before this.
- Below steps will not fix lost IMEI.
- The ROG5 factory flash package shared by @Jamshid66 in this thread (the firehose files from this specific pack are absolutely required )
- Extracted image files ".img's" from your firmware
- Qualcomm Flash Image Loader tool (QFIL)
- Bricked ROG 5 in EDL mode (9008 mode)
1. Download jamshid66's factory EDL zip and extract it to somewhere on your pc
2. If you don't have the .img's for your firmware you need to extract these too. Download the firmware file you need and do a payload dump using Pyhthon payload dumper or any other tool (there are guides showing how to do this if needed, not going to cover it here).
3. Launch the QFIL tool with Admin privileges
4. Under 'Firehose Configuration
', make sure download protocol is set to "Sahara
" and device type is set to "ufs
5. Connect ROG5 in EDL mode using the side port and verify it's recognized as a Qualcomm device in 9008 mode. Make sure you have no firewalls or virus protection in the way.
6. Under "Select Programmer
", point the path to the extracted directory from (1)
7. Select firehose file (try "prog_firehose_ddr.elf
" if it doesn't work use "prog_firehose_lite.elf
" (I think I used the lite file)
8. QFIL should automatically catch the RawProgram and Patch XML's, if not, just point it to rawprogram0.xml and patch0.xml manually.
Now we're ready to flash. Do NOT use "Downlad Content" - this will start flashing the content of the possibly bad pack to your device which may break things. Instead:
Method 1 - Manual EDL Flash (tested by me and worked)
10. Under "Tools" open "Partition Manager". If you've done everything correctly, you should now have access to the partition tree of your device.
11. Select each partition one by one (example "boot")
12. Right click on the partition and select "Manage Partition Data"
13. Select "Erase" (to clean up partition and remove any bad files)
14. Repeat (12) and now select "Load Image"
15. Select the respective .img file from your extracted ROM (e.g "boot.img"). You should see a message that file has been flashed successfully in the status window.
16. Repeat (12)-(15) to rebuild all partitions
17. Once you close, QFIL will reset your device and if successful your device will leave EDL mode and start normally. You're now unbricked.
: If you know the bad partition that caused your device to brick, flash that first (like boot.img) and restart - You may not need to flash everything
Method 2 - Full flash (not tested yet)
10a. Copy the firehose and rawprog+patch files to the incomplete WW/CN EDL roms posted by the OP of this thread
11a. Try to do a full flash using QFIL or MiFlash
Method 2 should be tested too. If it works it may be a more convenient way for most users.