• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Replace a Galaxy S21 Ultra with a Pixel 6 Pro?

Search This thread

freebee269

Feb 27, 2013
Kalamazoo
I'd stick with the S21 Ultra. If you want a better UI, download Nova Launcher and a Pixel icon pack. Also #Hex Installer allows you to completely redesign the UI with Pixel style icons and less rounded elements throughout. I'm not sure if it's working with Android 12 yet though. If you hate the bloat, there are ways to disable the majority of it using ADB.

I like the Pixel 6 Pro a lot, but I'm not gonna lie, there are A LOT of things that Samsung phones do better. Samsung has GoodLock for endless customization, Always on Display Customization, the 5G modem works better, and charging seems to be faster and more reliable.
Hex installer doesn’t work with one ui 4. Samsung changed the way adb works with the theming so it broke hex.

Reactions: galaxys

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
For fairness’s sake, every UI has its quirks and bugs. Neither Googles Launcher, nor Samsung are perfect.

One UI 3

The nomedia bug isn't a Samsung bug, it's a Android 11 bug or deliberate design apparently.
Users shouldn't blame Samsung for Android 11's screwups... "upgrades" have consequences🤣
Highest I'm running is 2.0 on Android 10.

prohibido_por_la_ley

Nov 21, 2011
Chicago
Icons? There are hundreds of free icon packs, themes and more at the Samsung Galaxy store.
You can use a package disabler to block apps you don't want.
Personally I rejected the S21U because of no SD card slot or spen.

The Pixel is a bare bones UI, just the opposite of Samsung. I've seen the homepage screen shots for the Pixels and they're damn weak.
You can really trick out stock Samsung's... Good
Lock family of apps, etc.
My two N10+'s look and behave like I want them to...

View attachment 5469201
Good luck dealing with spam calls without a way to screen them and have fun with those annoying automated systems and hold music. My P6P is buttery smooth. Smoother than any Samsung ever. They also don't do crazy things with the gestures like Samsung does who still clings onto the 3 button navigation from eons ago.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Good luck dealing with spam calls without a way to screen them and have fun with those annoying automated systems and hold music. My P6P is buttery smooth. Smoother than any Samsung ever. They also don't do crazy things with the gestures like Samsung does who still clings onto the 3 button navigation from eons ago.😓😥

I don't get many spam calls for some reason😕
I get spam warnings from AT&T sometimes and can spot spammers easily anyway💋
Don't get me started🤣
I enjoy slicing and dicing spamers (way too much)... I'm their worst nightmare. A unrestricted chainsaw masacre where anything goes; remember they called me. It's my favorite rage outlet.
I've gotten at least 2 telemarketers fired over the years and found where at least 2 worked.
I do what I can... I'm your bogeyman.
Go ahead, put me on your hot list... make my day.
Feel free to call, but no free rides🤣

Yeah modern Pixel navigation*, how's that working for you when drunk or stressed? I like physical buttons and have as many gesture navigation toggles as I care to handle.
I run with no animations and it doesn't destroy the UI functionality. Unlike Pixels it's not directly integrated into other functions like pull down notifications which move at whatever speed I pull down or up with. All indicator icons can be completely hidden (except page indicators, so I rotate them) so they don't degrade the display over time. Flagship Samsung's can be a handful but invariably I find a solution usually just by playing with it.

*swipe navigation is available on Samsung's starting with Android 10, I disable this first for standard navigation. I also have swipe navigation from the sides with One Handed Operation plus so I never need to do a forced reboot to escape a unnavigatable app... got my cake and can it it too.

Reactions: ajsmsg78

prohibido_por_la_ley

Nov 21, 2011
Chicago
I don't get many spam calls for some reason😕
I get spam warnings from AT&T sometimes and can spot spammers easily anyway💋
Don't get me started🤣
I enjoy slicing and dicing spamers (way too much)... I'm their worst nightmare. A unrestricted chainsaw masacre where anything goes; remember they called me. It's my favorite rage outlet.
I've gotten at least 2 telemarketers fired over the years and found where at least 2 worked.
I do what I can... I'm your bogeyman.
Go ahead, put me on your hot list... make my day.
Feel free to call, but no free rides🤣

Yeah modern Pixel navigation*, how's that working for you when drunk or stressed? I like physical buttons and have as many gesture navigation toggles as I care to handle.
I run with no animations and it doesn't destroy the UI functionality. Unlike Pixels it's not directly integrated into other functions like pull down notifications which move at whatever speed I pull down or up with. All indicator icons can be completely hidden (except page indicators, so I rotate them) so they don't degrade the display over time. Flagship Samsung's can be a handful but invariably I find a solution usually just by playing with it.

*swipe navigation is available on Samsung's starting with Android 10, I disable this first for standard navigation. I also have swipe navigation from the sides with One Handed Operation plus so I never need to do a forced reboot to escape a unnavigatable app... got my cake and can it it too.
Why have to deal with spam calls at all? It's best to not be interrupted whenever possible.

Why play around and tinker with something that should just work out of the box?

I don't get drunk because I have Sense enough not to poison my body.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Why have to deal with spam calls at all? It's best to not be interrupted whenever possible.

Why play around and tinker with something that should just work out of the box?

I don't get drunk because I have Sense enough not to poison my body.

I enjoy the fool who calls or just don't answer. It's not rocket science.

If I wanted a one trick pony I would have an iPhone.

I thought you say that... stress doesn't care if you're a teetotaler.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I personally just made the exact switch you're thinking of doing. It doesn't have all of the "custom" additions that the S21U does but I feel like because of that the Pixel feels better.

The biggest reason I switched was for the performance. The S21U felt laggy and slow even compared to my previous phone (OnePlus 8 Pro). The Pixel feels way smoother of an experience.

Camera is subjective but I've always been a fan of the "Google" processing so I've installed a GCam mod on every phone I can, S21 included.

I'm much happier now on the Pixel 6 pro than the S21U so if you're okay with a more minimalistic phone without all of the Samsung goodies, then this might be worth the switch.
    Hey everybody!

Quick question: would you replace your Galaxy S21 Ultra with a Pixel 6 Pro?

I'm asking it because I'm a S21 owner but I've never been completely in love with the Samsung design (those squircle icons...) nor all the Samsung apps I don't use and can't remove. I'm into Google apps and services and I'm attracted by the simple and minimal design of the Pixel 6. On the other hand, I like Samsung for the plethora of options and features they add to the Android system, most of which are not in the Pixel.

I've been reading around a lot and it seems that in terms of performance and battery the two phones are basically the same - and the S21 is one year old almost. The S21 could have a slightly better camera, whereas the Pixel can count on the Tensor chip and specific features.

So, what's your thought?

You're probably not going to be happy with a Pixel. The UX is polar opposite of Sammy's and a few cool features aren't probably going to be enough for you to unlike what you liked about Sammys in the first place.
    Yes, I would replace any Samsung with the P6P. My wife and I were happy with the first Pixel, which we used until they stopped updating it almost two years ago. I was waiting for Google to come out with a 512 GB model, and since they hadn't yet we got the Samsung Note 10+ 512 GB.

When the P6P 512 GB model was revealed, I knew it was time to buy, and sell our Samsungs, which I did on Swappa without wasting much time. The only thing we slightly miss is the included stylus.

I could go on and reiterate a list of things I didn't like about Samsung's version of Android (the hardware was great). One major thing I couldn't stand about the software was the erratic, unreliable notifications of my GMail, Hangouts, and Google Chat.

I don't have a work phone because I don't want to use iOS, and I count on prompt notifications when I'm busy multitasking on my work PC. Sometimes I wouldn't get notifications for two hours after the email was sent. My work uses Google for everything. Sometimes I would get a notification of an email hours after I had already seen it on the PC and had deleted it.

I tried everything I could to try to fix it with no luck. My brother's family has their very first smartphone in the last several years when they bought the Samsung Galaxy S9+. When I told him about my notification issue, he said he assumed that's just the way Android is (no, it's not).

As I said, I could detail a long list but I've been over it before so it gets tiring. 😁

Good luck, whatever you choose.
    i have both devices, ehm three(s21, s21u, p6pro) and i will say, P6pro is better, same performance, a lot better battery, comparing camera(what i miss so much is better zoom with S21U). p6pro is battery friendly, same usage and you get 10h SOT, with S21U only 5-7(but with profiles - data, bt off, in night Flicght mode...)
    Same here. I still have my s21u and currently using the p6p. As of now, I'm content with the 6 pro. Battery can be better. This phone is fairly new and there will be lots of updates.