• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Replace KingoRoot with SuperSU manually without Terminal (2019)

Search This thread
Oct 23, 2016
want to try this process on an asus zenfone go arm7. is this a permanent root? if i do factory reset, will i lose root?

i tried this today using the easy method first. my fone is 5.1.1 asus zb500kg

kingoroot installed just fine, however, after i was not able to update supersu 2.79. i tried to install supersu from kingoroot again, but kingo is no longer responding.

i rebooted after removing kingo, then tried to install again, but kingo doesn't want to work anymore, just a blank screen and message saying that it's not responding. some apps detect that my fone has root, but i can't open any root explorer software so i can just copy the supersu as mentioned on the longer step.

i just don't know what to do next. may i'll try to root using kingroot this time.

Last edited:

forcedv

Mar 7, 2006
Want to try this because I had no choice but to root the ZTE Spro2 using Kingoroot.

Problem is, I can't find Kingouser.
Where is it located, so i can delete it?

evildog1

May 2, 2012
want to try this process on an asus zenfone go arm7. is this a permanent root? if i do factory reset, will i lose root?

kingoroot installed just fine, however, after i was not able to update supersu 2.79. i tried to install supersu from kingoroot again, but kingo is no longer responding.

i rebooted after removing kingo, then tried to install again, but kingo doesn't want to work anymore, just a blank screen and message saying that it's not responding. some apps detect that my fone has root, but i can't open any root explorer software so i can just copy the supersu as mentioned on the longer step.

i just don't know what to do next. may i'll try to root using kingroot this time.
It sounds like some of binaries in your system is corrupted. You need to reflash firmware. I had this problem 2 times and flashing firmware is only the solution.
But you can't switch to SuperSU if you rooted with Kingroot. They tried hard to stop us from switching to SuperSU

Want to try this because I had no choice but to root the ZTE Spro2 using Kingoroot.

Uninstall Kingouser from Settings -> Apps

evildog1

May 2, 2012

It sounds like some of binaries in your system is corrupted. You need to reflash firmware. I had this problem 2 times and flashing firmware is only the solution.
But you can't switch to SuperSU if you rooted with Kingroot. They tried hard to stop us from switching to SuperSU

Uninstall Kingouser from Settings -> Apps

Braaainz

Jan 19, 2013
I was using an LG G3 running stock rooted. I lost root thru a stupid mistake, only way I could find to regain root was using kingoroot.

I flashed an older TWRP, then restored an older full NANDROID (had boot, EFS, etc) that had root. I got a message that it couldn't find 'firmware's, but the restore continued. Everything seemed okay.

I then went back into TWRP and flashed a new ROM that had Magisk. Everything seems great.

My question is, could Kingoroot have left anything behind? Like creating a new partition to hide anything?

Bushido1992

Mar 18, 2013
Karlsruhe
another Methode that workd for me is (phone without twrp, rootet via kingoroot) install magisk and flash / install root over boot img. then after reboot DON'T allow kingoroot superuser permissions!! or kingoroot will remove the magisk su

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using XDA Labs

Reactions: YuriRM

evildog1

May 2, 2012
I was using an LG G3 running stock rooted. I lost root thru a stupid mistake, only way I could find to regain root was using kingoroot.

I flashed an older TWRP, then restored an older full NANDROID (had boot, EFS, etc) that had root. I got a message that it couldn't find 'firmware's, but the restore continued. Everything seemed okay.

I then went back into TWRP and flashed a new ROM that had Magisk. Everything seems great.

My question is, could Kingoroot have left anything behind? Like creating a new partition to hide anything?

I have no idea. It shouldn't hide anything. Also creating a new partition can cause device brick.

I've had no luck with the methods listed in this thread, unfortunately. Binaries were occupied on 2.82, and simply no success with 2.79

This link did work: but it is SU 2.4

I have not tried updating it yet.

Can you try root with kingoroot again and do manual steps to switch to SuperSU 2.79?
If it does not help, then you need to reflash your firmware. Reflash the firmware solves most superuser switching issues

Mitch.sc

Oct 29, 2012
I have no idea. It shouldn't hide anything. Also creating a new partition can cause device brick.

Can you try root with kingoroot again and do manual steps to switch to SuperSU 2.79?
If it does not help, then you need to reflash your firmware. Reflash the firmware solves most superuser switching issues

I updated Binaries, checked info, now running 2.82 so looks like all is good. Everything is working nicely, Xposed included, so there's no incentive to mess with it.

Thanks for the help all the same.

triadwarfare

Mar 12, 2012
Parañaque
6.5. Rename "su" to "daemonsu"

Context here please? Where? Following 6.4, I'm currently at System\lib
When I searched for "su", I can find them on system\xbin and system\bin

Where should I be renaming it? and doesn't it 'remove' the su from the system? I'm concerned about bootloops occurring if I follow disjointed instructions blindly.

Also another thing,

that's why X-plore is the best file manager

I wish I could use X-Plore, but the device that I'm trying to root doesn't even have a Play store, and the reason why I'm trying to root it is to insert the play store there.

The app isn't available in APKmirror; Checking for other sources might cause me to inject malware on the device. I resorted to using ES File Explorer as I'm most familiar with this application (and other file explorers in APKMirror seems to be not working in the tablet)... probably except converting the 644 permissions to what I can understand.

Don't worry, I'm aware of the concepts. However, I checked what permission matches what and as per this link, 644 is supposed to be rw-r--r--; But on 6.1, it says "Change permission to 644 (-rw-rw-r--)". I will have to follow my gut and use the -rw-rw-r-- despite other sources telling me that it's supposed to be -rw-r--r--.

I'm currently trying to root the Leapfrog Epic (v2). As of right now, I'm checking if 2.82 will work or I will have to resort to downgrading to 2.79 since I only read the comments pretty late in the middle, so I will have to use whatever I have installed right now.

evildog1

May 2, 2012
Context here please? Where? Following 6.4, I'm currently at System\lib
When I searched for "su", I can find them on system\xbin and system\bin

Where should I be renaming it? and doesn't it 'remove' the su from the system? I'm concerned about bootloops occurring if I follow disjointed instructions blindly.

Also another thing,

I wish I could use X-Plore, but the device that I'm trying to root doesn't even have a Play store, and the reason why I'm trying to root it is to insert the play store there.

The app isn't available in APKmirror; Checking for other sources might cause me to inject malware on the device. I resorted to using ES File Explorer as I'm most familiar with this application (and other file explorers in APKMirror seems to be not working in the tablet)... probably except converting the 644 permissions to what I can understand.

Don't worry, I'm aware of the concepts. However, I checked what permission matches what and as per this link, 644 is supposed to be rw-r--r--; But on 6.1, it says "Change permission to 644 (-rw-rw-r--)". I will have to follow my gut and use the -rw-rw-r-- despite other sources telling me that it's supposed to be -rw-r--r--.

I'm currently trying to root the Leapfrog Epic (v2). As of right now, I'm checking if 2.82 will work or I will have to resort to downgrading to 2.79 since I only read the comments pretty late in the middle, so I will have to use whatever I have installed right now.

On the directory where you extracted files, rename su to daemonsu and copy it to /system/xbin

Use SuperSU 2.79 for installing binaries because 2.82 no longer have ability to force install binaries, getting SU occupied error instead. After that, update 2.82 sr5 beta to avoid "Android is starting" loop.

You can download X-plore from apkpure.com instead, 100% clean. It have many apps than APKmirror

czarphanguye

Oct 8, 2008
Followed this guide to convert Kingoroot to SuperSU on a Leapfrog Epic. Worked as expected. Thanks.

Used Recovery V2.79 Flashable.zip MD5:f4ecbf5814215bf569ff3324fc1c91f5

Last edited:

jdapp

Jan 23, 2016
So on asus PadFone 4.3 used kingo root and then gave titanium backup root. Added supersu + pro and removed kingo and super user with titanium. I appear to still have root but the supersu says SU binary occupied when I start it. When I try to make it a system app it either thinks for a long time or it thinks and then closes out with the app disappearing and needing to be reinstalled

It is supersu 2.82, where do I find 2.79? Do I need to use that one? Anything else I am doing wrong?

masterx1234

Sep 1, 2014
I just wanna chime in, this method actually failed for me for some weird reason, However, I uninstalled SuperUser and manually installed the APK provided here and chose "expert" mode and it let me update the binaries and i reboot my phone and viola! SuperSU has officially replaced Kingo superuser. I am using a LG device and I hear these are a little iffy when it comes to this stuff, Im still getting used to my new tablet since I always had a samsung devices.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    KingoRoot is annoying. No landscape support and battery lock screen cause my device to freeze. Support took 6 months to reply. I finally found a way to manually replace Replace KingoRoot with SuperSU without a script.

Before you get started, make sure you backup everything. I'm not responsible for any damages in your device.

Tip: You can use root without Kingouser but your device will be in high risk as any apps can grant permissions without your permission. I'd strongly recommended you to follow these steps for SuperSU replacement... or just keep Kingouser

What you need?
    - CPU-Z app
    - X-plore file manager app or other root explorer apps
    - SuperSU flashable zip
    - SuperSU app from playstore

Let's get started

Step by step:
    EASY WAY - AUTOMATIC SWITCHING:
    There is an easy way to switch to SuperSU but the change is low. Please go to page 2 or 3 for more infomation.
    1. Delete/Uninstall Kingouser, but keep Kingoroot. DON'T reboot your device
    3. Install SuperSU apk from flashable zip v2.79
    4. Launch it, press "continue" and "normal" wait until the update is successful.
    5. Reboot and uninstall Kingoroot

Thanks MarshisnotMellow for this trick

If this automatic switching fails, try manual switching

COMPLICATED WAY - MANUAL SWITCHING:
    This might sounds complicated but I prefer doing it manually than executing a script in Terminal.

1. This is very IMPORTANT: Check your Kernel Architecture of your device using CPU-Z app. I bricked my device by placing wrong binaries for armv6 on a armv7 device by a mistake

In my example, my Kernel Architecture is armv7 so i'm gonna extract armv7 folder later
    AHs6RDR.png

2. Download SuperSU V2.79: https://download.chainfire.eu/1016/SuperSU
    Do NOT use v2.82 since it no longer have ability to reinstall binaries (SU binary occupied error), and it have "Android is starting" bug. See this post https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=77303017&postcount=84

In the zip, there are 9 folders. I will list the folder below

META-INF = Signature and script for custom recovery
    common = required files for SuperSU/rooting. init scripts are not needed

arm = arm11 / armv6. Devices like HTC Wildfire, Wildfire S, Galaxy Y etc
    arm64 = armv8 / armv8l / arm 64-bit. Sony Xperia M5 etc.
    armv7 = armv7l. For all popular devices, you know, Samsung S3 mini, HTC, Sony, LG, etc
    mips = Unknown. Don't know which device is using mips
    mips64 = Unknown. Don't know which device is using mips64
    x64 = Unknown. Don't know which device is using x64
    x86 = Any Intel CPU. Asus Zenfone, Bluestacks, Android emulator etc.

3. Open X-plore, open confuguraion and enable root access as Superuser + mount writable

4. Extract <Your architecture> and common folder in your device

Navigate to extracted folder on left pane and navigate to /system on right pane

KcfHMcs.png

6. Now we gonna replace and delete some files in the ROM very carefully! Do the following:

Tip: Press and hold on the file and select permission to change the permission

M5UpTnp.png

Skip step 6.1 if you already have SuperSU app installed

6.1. Install SuperSU as system app
    Android 4.4.x and below: Copy: /common/Superuser.apk => /system/app
    Android 4.4.x and below: Change permission to 644 (-rw-r--r--)

Android 5.0.x and above: Create a folder named "Superuser" or whatever
    Android 5.0.x and above: Change permission to 755 (drwxrwxr-x)
    Android 5.0.x and above: Copy: /common/Superuser.apk => /system/app/Superuser
    Android 5.0.x and above: Change permission to 644 (-rw-r--r--)

6.2. Replace: /common/install-recovery.sh => /system/etc
    6.3. Delete: /system/etc/install_recovery.sh

6.4. Replace: /<Your architecture>/libsupol.so => /system/lib

6.5. Rename "su" to "daemonsu"

6.6. Replace: /<Your architecture>/daemonsu => /system/xbin
    6.7. Replace: /<Your architecture>/supolicy => /system/xbin

6.8. Delete: /system/app/kingouser.apk and uninstall it from Settings -> App (if it was installed as user app)

After you replace any files, make sure the new file still has the same permissions as the old file. X-plore does this automatically, that's why X-plore is the best file manager. Root Browser doesn't, and you will lost root or get bootloop after reboot. But, you can re-root with KingoRoot and do it again.

There is no need to replace "su" binaries since they are write protected, but SuperSU can replace them once you update it in STEP 8

7. That's all. Reboot your device

8. SuperSU will appear on app drawer. Open it and it will ask you to update the binary. Press "continue" and "normal". The update should be successful.

55NjVLk.jpg

9. Reboot your device one more time

Now you have a working SuperSU. Enjoy :D

Tested devices
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6t8puao1q5746v/Kingoroot to SuperSU tested devices.xlsx?dl=0

Most ARMv7 devices are tested and working. If you have a device with ARM64/v8 or x86, i need you to tell me the system files that Kingoroot have modified so i can find out which files to replace. PM me for more info

Regarding "Android is starting" bug
    This is SuperSU 2.82 bug. Upgrade to SuperSU 2.82 r5 or downgrade to SuperSU 2.79 + binaries and use re-signed APK to block update from Playstore
    SuperSU 2.82 r5 beta:
    - https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133
    - https://download.chainfire.eu/1220/SuperSU/SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip

Credit:
    Evildog1 (This tutorial)
    Chainfire (SuperSU)
    Excuse sir!
    So you say that you can install Magisk without a custom recovery?
    Just install Magisk Manager and tap on install, delete Kingroot and reboot and done?
    Please answer me I'm so tired of trying to root
    My device:
    M4 SS4452
    5.1.1 Lollipop
    armv7

Yes.
    Install Latest Magisk Manager, open Magisk Manager, authorize root privileges to MagiskManager via KingRoot, Press on Install, Select Direct Install.
    Once Boot partition has been successfully flashed press Close.
    Go to KingRoot -> UNroot
    Restart the phone and check Magisk Manager
    Won't this work instead?
    Install SuperSU (I used SuperSU Pro) from the play store and grant it superuser access. When prompted, install updated su binary with the normal mode. Once installed successfully, uninstall Kingoroot and Superuser app. Reboot.

That's what I did on an android 6.0 headunit I have and seems to work. But maybe there is a benefit of avoiding kingoroot completely?

This did not work for me on 4.1.2-5.1.1. SuperSU always say Install failed no matter how many times i tried. That's why i made this guide.
    Now you have a working SuperSU

Thanks evildog, been looking for long time for a way to get rid of kingo apps, finally your method worked for my tablet Micromax P680.
    Didn't​ work for thousands of us! Maybe you updated SuperSU binaries via custom recovery?

Big thanks @evildog1 for this guide!!!

I wish, but I'm using an android mtcd px5 head unit and no one has a custom recovery for it..
    I was really just suggesting as an option to try as it worked for me and less complicated.. But guess it's only this device that allowed it..