• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

replace screen and frame

Search This thread

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
That's a lot of damage. Do you know if the mobo is still good? Don't go throwing much money at it otherwise especially if it hit on the mobo side.

I recommend observing ESD protocols when working on it. Out circuit the mobo and display are suspectable to ESD damage. A earth grounded ESD mat and wrist strap are best. At least raise the humidity of the room to 50% and wear cotton clothing.

metropical

Sep 23, 2011
New York
it's a phone I've been using since I dropped it, but the touchscreen is intermittently intermittent.
I need to change the USB charge port and batt. I have a back phone, jic.
I have a wrist strap but no mat.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
it's a phone I've been using since I dropped it, but the touchscreen is intermittently intermittent.

Sounds like major surgery doctor.
Good, earth ground the strape and use a bare wood surface.
Get some...

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
it'll either suck or work. Time will tell.
If it doesn't break the bank, go for it.
At the worst you'll have a parts queen, which is fine if your intentions are to keep using this model.

The smartphone releases this year have been nothing but disappointment. Android 11 and 12 are DOA. Next year looks bad for both as well.
I can see why you want to stick with a model/OS version you like. I'm doing the same myself.

metropical

Sep 23, 2011
New York
I'll buy a Pixel 4a if the patient doesn't survive. HTC, unfortunately, has bit the dust for phones .
In US Android, there seems to be only Samsmug and Pixel left. At least the Pixel have some lineage to HTC.
One plus has not been around long enough to trust.
But I'm not buying another glass backed phone.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I'll buy a Pixel 4a if the patient doesn't survive. HTC, unfortunately, has bit the dust for phones .
In US Android, there seems to be only Samsmug and Pixel left. At least the Pixel have some lineage to HTC.

I'm using the Note 10+'s Snapdragon variant. However no 3.5 mm jack which you likely hate not having. I use the Buds+ which sound pretty good using the proprietary SSC bt codec.
The 10+ was the last great flagship release from Samsung. Fast, stable, a drop dead gorgeous display, reliable, a solid workhorse if running on Android 9 or 10... 11 not so much so.
My oldest 10+ is 2 years old, one battery replacement, it looks and runs like new after heavy usage. The glass back has been no issue and is cheap to replace. Use care though when replacing the battery removing the rear panel.
The other nice thing is the Samsung UI and its customization. Its fast, friendly and extremely customizable with hundreds of free themes, icon packs and UI apps like the Good Lock family from the Galaxy store. It doesn't look or act like a Pixel... thank god.

Always use a good case. I use the Zizo Bolt case. Without it my 10+ be a wreck. Over half a dozen 2-4 foot drops onto concrete, zero damage. However after a couplre hard corner hits I replace the case out of concerns of material fatigue. The only visible case damage is a shiny appearance at the hit corner indicating fatigue.

metropical

Sep 23, 2011
New York
No headphone jack doesn't bother me. Have a Shure BT w/535. Sounds quite good.

Funny thing, never dropped a phone til the 1st month I had this. Bummer. Case too late.
But it's 3 yrs on now. Which is why I'm willing to chance the repair or replace.

What do you not like about the Pixel? To me Android is Android. The UI doesn't change much that I've seen, except for the awful LG interface that I had for a couple years before I gave up on it. This is my 3rd HTC in 10 years. They've all been good, but HTC had missed the boat a long while back when they released the 10. Many issues. The U11 has been very good even through the damaging drop.

Prior to the N10 I'd never have even thought about the Sam

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I'm watching Pixel and not impressed.
No SD card slot. Android 11 and 12 are dogs.
Scoped storage isn't needed and makes it a pain to use.
Samsung has always been hit or miss. But when they're hot, they're hot. So far in my estimation the 10+/Snapdragon is their best Note overall.
I rejected the N20U because of display, 5G, battery and Android 11 issues. The 10+ isn't the best stat wise now, but it's a solid dependable workhorse that's a snappy fast, stable platform. It does everything well. A 1.25 to 1.5tb dual drive handheld PC is no joke.

At this point it be hard to give up the Samsung IU. It's nothing like a "pure" Android such as Pixel, thank god. Samsung has dozens of little system apks to take the edge off of Android 10 and make it more usable. You can mold the IU to fit your needs rather than the other way around.
My Q version Note can be made to look and behave like my Pie version. Even retaining the screen button navigation rather than being force to swipe navigate. I already use swipe control anyway with One Handed Operation + as well as Samsung Edge.
The native spen's Smart Select and bt remote shutter release are great when you need them.

My stock 10+'s are heavily optimized though. I use a package disabler and Karma Firewall. That was a steep learning curve and one of the reasons they run so well. The tools are available for anyone who wants to use them to modify the device without rooting.
It's just a fun device to use and play with... after 2 years it's still fun.

For $800 you can still get a new one and much less for a used one however as with all internet vendors you need to be careful. A lot of scamming going on right now.

metropical

Sep 23, 2011
New York
I bought this U11 used off Swappa. Been very good. Don't think I'd go anywhere else. I think they have their rules in place.
After all the crappy mSD cards I've had from both Samsung and SanDisk, I think I'd rather just built in storage next time.
I just use it for music. If I seldom want to watch something, I stream from my Emby at home.
Not a gamer. Almost entirely email, text, calls, and some interwebbing.

This one is rooted as have the last couple. But the OS has become efficient enough that I don't think I'd bother.
The ads are more annoying than any other issue.

Never heard of package disabler or Karma. I'll have to look into that. Toying is fun now and then.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Package Disabler is more a Samsung targeted thing but there's a version for other devices. No clue if/how that variant works.

Karma Firewall is a freeware VPN based one with logging features if running on Pie or under. Very low battery consumption.

No issues with my latest Lexar .5tb card. It's important to format it in the phone and best to leave it there. I have over 200gb of wav and hdcd files alone so... yeah I use it.
One of the benefits of using a SD card is for backups. All critical data goes here, only the loaded apps, DCIM and download folders go on internal memory. I keep installable copies of all my apps. I can do a complete reload from the data drive. I redundantly backup the SD card to hdds as well. A may lose a little data but never all. Every PC I set up is as a dual drive even laptops. It saves pain and suffering🤣

metropical

Sep 23, 2011
New York
I already have protonVPN, not free, but available to me on all my electronic contraptions.
Package disable would be redundant .

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
When buying a SD card review its full specs.
Some are rated to work at -13F others only 32F, wtf? Likewise view rated storage temps.
I'll probably go with a Sandisk Extreme even though it's $25 more. It has wider temperature operating parameters indicating better design and production standards.
Get a V30 rated card as well. Always stick to major name brands and avoid buying on ebay, etc.

If it doesn't format in the phone, return it as it will likely never perform properly even if you zero fill it and get it to format. I use Lexar and Sandisk flash memory, zero failures thus far in over 15 years of using them in different form factors.
I around a dozen or so.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    it'll either suck or work. Time will tell.
    No headphone jack doesn't bother me. Have a Shure BT w/535. Sounds quite good.

Funny thing, never dropped a phone til the 1st month I had this. Bummer. Case too late.
    But it's 3 yrs on now. Which is why I'm willing to chance the repair or replace.

What do you not like about the Pixel? To me Android is Android. The UI doesn't change much that I've seen, except for the awful LG interface that I had for a couple years before I gave up on it. This is my 3rd HTC in 10 years. They've all been good, but HTC had missed the boat a long while back when they released the 10. Many issues. The U11 has been very good even through the damaging drop.

Prior to the N10 I'd never have even thought about the Sam