Replace screen before resell?

Search This thread

_tyler_

Dec 27, 2013
My P2X touchscreen randomly died recently. Now, I've had it for over 3 years and already changed the screen once and it was no stranger to drops. But I legit woke up one morning to no touch. Thankfully I had replaced my main phone and was in transition phase. With the setup-transfer of data + pics in the cloud era, it was no urgent matter, but I would like to do something with it. But now I want to repurpose it or get rid of it. I found a screen for $100 on ebay, about half the price of iFixit. Does anyone know if these $100 screen are reputable? Is it worth replacing the screen just to sell it? If I can buy a "For Parts" phone with a good screen, could that conceivably be worth it?

It's a VZW model so I would guess there's no root for it, right? Thought I'd ask...

Or is it just junk? Of note, I wouldn't mind coming out in the red (not too much) for the funsies of another phone repair under my belt even as Right To Repair is slowly dwindling away...

Thoughts?

Edit:

Unrelatedly, it seems it's been a while since I've been around here (I guess because after my G2, I have not had a rootable phone (Thanks, Big Red...)

That has a cracked and non working screen too...Not sure I ever offloaded that data...I think I have an OTG adapter somewhere...

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
LG Nexus 5X
My P2X touchscreen randomly died recently. Now, I've had it for over 3 years and already changed the screen once and it was no stranger to drops. But I legit woke up one morning to no touch. Thankfully I had replaced my main phone and was in transition phase. With the setup-transfer of data + pics in the cloud era, it was no urgent matter, but I would like to do something with it. But now I want to repurpose it or get rid of it. I found a screen for $100 on ebay, about half the price of iFixit. Does anyone know if these $100 screen are reputable? Is it worth replacing the screen just to sell it? If I can buy a "For Parts" phone with a good screen, could that conceivably be worth it?

It's a VZW model so I would guess there's no root for it, right? Thought I'd ask...

Or is it just junk? Of note, I wouldn't mind coming out in the red (not too much) for the funsies of another phone repair under my belt even as Right To Repair is slowly dwindling away...

Thoughts?

Edit:

Unrelatedly, it seems it's been a while since I've been around here (I guess because after my G2, I have not had a rootable phone (Thanks, Big Red...)

That has a cracked and non working screen too...Not sure I ever offloaded that data...I think I have an OTG adapter somewhere...
Pixel 2 XLs in good condition are going from around $100-140 on Swappa right now. So you may be able to make around $40 at the most. Depends if that's worth it to you.

No, you won't be able to root a Verizon model. Their bootloaders are locked.