Replacing micro usb to usb C type

Search This thread

abhi08638

Jul 11, 2012
So some of the comments here are very short and childish.
And some are more mature.
Thanks for contributing to the thread.
So we will wait for oneplus two tear down. And we will see if we can change the usb port easily.
Maybe the battery fit as well???

It looks like that if you replace the mirco USB with type c you'll lose the Qualcomm quick charge 1.0 tech so it'll take around 3 hours to go from 0-100

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Free mobile app

jello24

Apr 12, 2011
So let me get this straight, you want to replace the Micro-USB connector, a 5-pin surface mount connector attached to a ribbon cable, with a USB Type-C connector, a 24-pin surface mount connector?

Umm, for the sake of sanity, why would you put yourself through that?

But let's humor you. This is the OPO's current micro-USB connector: OPO Teardown: Micro-USB Connector. There's 7 solder points on top of the small PCB. Say you de-solder that ribbon cable, it's not hard, you just wick it away and the connections come off.

Now, you want to connect the same ribbon cable connections to a connector that looks like this: USB Type C connector, Through Hole. That image is blown up massively. It's probably the size of a small coin. The only way you can solder wires to those pins is either through your own custom made PCB or you have the hands of a surgeon, and you have a really fine tip soldering iron and high gauge solder.

Also for research sake, here's the pinout for the micro-USB connector: Micro-USB Pinout and the pinouts for the USB Type-C connector: USB Type C Pinout. That's a jump from 5 pins all the way up to 24 pins, with only 5 of them usable by the OPO.

So yes, it can be done hardware-wise, but just because it can be done doesn't mean it's worth doing. And this just seems like a massive waste of time for something you will probably only use once or twice a day.

chenrp

Oct 17, 2006
It looks like that if you replace the mirco USB with type c you'll lose the Qualcomm quick charge 1.0 tech so it'll take around 3 hours to go from 0-100

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Free mobile app

The reason i want c type is for convenience. So i dont need all the 24 pins... Just the double 10 less one for using the same gnd. That way i will have the same usb 3 connector but double sided.

Rick_1995

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2009
Santa Clara
If all you want is a connector that is agnostic to which side is up, then you can hack together a microUSB to USB type-C converter from USB to microUSB and USB to type C cables. Certainly won't be pretty unless you pay someone in china to build it for you in a factory.

critofur

Jan 21, 2011
NYC/Tokyo
It could be done, but might be even harder than you expect

Wow - I think there is a new record for the number of a-holes in one thread posting not-helpful troll replies. Really disappointed with the admins for not stepping in on behalf of the OP.

I totally understand why people would want to replace their charging port on their Oneplus One with a new Type C receptacle. I HATE the Micro USB charging ports - they wear out with heavy use, and I'm always plugging mine in late at night with the lights off - I worry about trying to force it in backwards and breaking it. Also, the tips on Micro USB charging cables are so fragile and bend so easily.

I don't know if they've made the tip design stronger in USB 3.1/"Type C" but I would certainly hope they did, it would be stupid to miss that opportunity if they did not create a stronger design. Well, actually I suppose the shape is inherently someone stiffer against bending but the aspect I'm concerned about is how securely attached the protective plastic housing is to the metal tip.

While you certainly could purchase a replacement Type C charging port from the Two (or other phone which comes with the Type C port such as the Nexus 5x or 6P) and solder it to your One, the soldier pads might not line up since the C has MORE of them. So, you might end up with trouble getting the correct pads lining up between the phone's circuit board and the port, meaning you'd have to use tiny wires making the process even harder.

If you look on eBay you can find tons of cheap replacement Micro USB charging ports, but I did not find any Type C ones during my brief search. I would like to get some just out of curiosity.

One thing is for sure, USB Type C is a "must have" feature on any future phones I buy!

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

The chipset can't even handle USB type-c. And even it could you would need to solder it on the motherboard.

Yes of course - I thought it should be obvious that the OP would be asking about soldiering a replacement Type C USB charging port on his phone and I would hope that he would not be ignorant enough to think that changing the connector would magically give his phone a faster USB connection.

The point to me would be to have the convenience of a plug that can't be "upside down" and would be less likely to break.

critofur

Jan 21, 2011
NYC/Tokyo
If you are lazy to put the cable in the right position, you can buy this...[/url]

That is offensive - it's not a matter of being "lazy".

1) I've hated "Micro USB" for years, it's a pain to use in the dark, and the port breaks easily (particularly if you use it a lot, like several times a day, every day, for years).

2) I want to use the same cable for all my phone/tablet/small devices with USB - since "C" is the new standard, it makes sense to go with "C" for all of them (although, unfortunately, it seems difficult even if you are willing to open your device and do some soldiering).

3) Wanting convenience is often not about being lazy - it may be about wanting to be efficient, wanting devices to last longer and/or be more reliable, reducing stress, etc.

Well, considering the difficulty, it seems to me that the best option is to go with wireless charging and install one of those little wireless charging adapter pads under the back case/cover.

Reactions: Binil43

kl_h

Dec 5, 2014
This: https://www.fasttech.com/product/2412400-u3-206-smt-type-usb-3-1-type-c-female-socket + specs and a bit of soldering and you *could* do it, but as I don't own this phone I have no idea how much space is available (this is the smallest one I found in 5 minutes of searching, there may be smaller options. It's also suspiciously cheap). From what I see it could be done in my blocky Xiaomi Redmi 2, I may try that if you're interested (changing phones soon, so if I break it I won't cry).

Tataarujin

Jul 21, 2011
Not only it's possible, but actually doable. You'll need hands of a surgeon and patience of saint though.
Here's a scheme of connection, it's in Russian though, but I hope you'll be able to understand what contact goes where.
Good luck.

Attachments

• USBtype-C_to_microUSB.png
    USBtype-C_to_microUSB.png
    163.4 KB · Views: 1,393
Reactions: turnert and f0li0

dubrox

I was looking into the same and found this video showing how to do it for power supply only:

This would work for me, as I just want to charge an old granny phone, with a broken microUSB connector, by using one of the USB-C connectors I bought for other projects.

I guess that if you want to also deal with the data, you better get an USB-C to microUSB adapter, remove the microUSB female part and try to bridge the corresponding microUSB contacts from the adapter to the device board, if there is enough room for it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've seen everything now........
    I have a fridge, and I'm wondering if I could install a heater and turn it into an oven.

Feel free to discuss.

Yes, in fact you could. OR.... turn it into a smoker!

This is more practical, and useful, and makes a LOT more sense than what is being asked/proposed in this thread
    It could be done, but might be even harder than you expect

Wow - I think there is a new record for the number of a-holes in one thread posting not-helpful troll replies. Really disappointed with the admins for not stepping in on behalf of the OP.

I totally understand why people would want to replace their charging port on their Oneplus One with a new Type C receptacle. I HATE the Micro USB charging ports - they wear out with heavy use, and I'm always plugging mine in late at night with the lights off - I worry about trying to force it in backwards and breaking it. Also, the tips on Micro USB charging cables are so fragile and bend so easily.

I don't know if they've made the tip design stronger in USB 3.1/"Type C" but I would certainly hope they did, it would be stupid to miss that opportunity if they did not create a stronger design. Well, actually I suppose the shape is inherently someone stiffer against bending but the aspect I'm concerned about is how securely attached the protective plastic housing is to the metal tip.

While you certainly could purchase a replacement Type C charging port from the Two (or other phone which comes with the Type C port such as the Nexus 5x or 6P) and solder it to your One, the soldier pads might not line up since the C has MORE of them. So, you might end up with trouble getting the correct pads lining up between the phone's circuit board and the port, meaning you'd have to use tiny wires making the process even harder.

If you look on eBay you can find tons of cheap replacement Micro USB charging ports, but I did not find any Type C ones during my brief search. I would like to get some just out of curiosity.

One thing is for sure, USB Type C is a "must have" feature on any future phones I buy!

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

The chipset can't even handle USB type-c. And even it could you would need to solder it on the motherboard.

Yes of course - I thought it should be obvious that the OP would be asking about soldiering a replacement Type C USB charging port on his phone and I would hope that he would not be ignorant enough to think that changing the connector would magically give his phone a faster USB connection.

The point to me would be to have the convenience of a plug that can't be "upside down" and would be less likely to break.
    So let me get this straight, you want to replace the Micro-USB connector, a 5-pin surface mount connector attached to a ribbon cable, with a USB Type-C connector, a 24-pin surface mount connector?

Umm, for the sake of sanity, why would you put yourself through that?

But let's humor you. This is the OPO's current micro-USB connector: OPO Teardown: Micro-USB Connector. There's 7 solder points on top of the small PCB. Say you de-solder that ribbon cable, it's not hard, you just wick it away and the connections come off.

Now, you want to connect the same ribbon cable connections to a connector that looks like this: USB Type C connector, Through Hole. That image is blown up massively. It's probably the size of a small coin. The only way you can solder wires to those pins is either through your own custom made PCB or you have the hands of a surgeon, and you have a really fine tip soldering iron and high gauge solder.

Also for research sake, here's the pinout for the micro-USB connector: Micro-USB Pinout and the pinouts for the USB Type-C connector: USB Type C Pinout. That's a jump from 5 pins all the way up to 24 pins, with only 5 of them usable by the OPO.

So yes, it can be done hardware-wise, but just because it can be done doesn't mean it's worth doing. And this just seems like a massive waste of time for something you will probably only use once or twice a day.
    I have a fridge, and I'm wondering if I could install a heater and turn it into an oven.

Feel free to discuss.